As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Cave Story on the Wii! Huzzah!

• AgentflitAgentflit Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I never heard of this game till now. It looks like the work of a madman.

Easily one fo the best games I've ever played, and the best for free. It's all at once depressing, frustrating, thrilling, and beautiful. Well, if you're an emotional sap like me.

If you're not it's still incredibly well designed, and the last level is like OCD comfort food.

Agentflit on
  • DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Cantido wrote: »
    The promotional wallpapers are set to random :x

Also, Misery is a little bitch and I can't wait to crush her.
    Misery is a little bitch? Obviously you haven't gotten the true ending yet.

Djiem on
  • randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Djiem wrote: »

I got the Balrog wallpapers! Huzzah!

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

I had heard about it before, numerous times... But I never actually looked into what it was until this thread. I mean, I knew it was a free game that some small dev team built and that everyone loved it, but that was the extent of my knowledge.

Now that I've looked into it and watched gameplay videos, I'm freakin' sold.

slash000 on
    edited October 2008
    slash000 wrote: »

I had heard about it before, numerous times... But I never actually looked into what it was until this thread. I mean, I knew it was a free game that some small dev team built and that everyone loved it, but that was the extent of my knowledge.

By small dev team you mean one guy.

A single man made this game all by his lonesome.

randombattle on
    I never asked for this!
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I posted this in another thread, but I'll be damned if it doesn't deserve to be seen in as many places as possible.

The music in this game is so good.

joshofalltrades on
  • TrusTrus Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Wow, I could listen to the music on that website all day long. And the balcony picture is now my background.8-)

Trus on
    qFN53.png
    edited October 2008
    The Cave Story OST and Remixed OST is legendary.

Also that guy needs to tune his piano a few of his notes are off key.

randombattle on
    I never asked for this!
  • FCDFCD Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Djiem wrote: »

Well, she was responsible for the creation of the Demon Crown in the first place, so she's hardly an angel in that regard.

Though of course, if Jenka had just had the stones to kill her crazy brother, rather than just seal him away, then the whole situation would never have escalated like it did.

FCD on
    Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!
    edited October 2008

Oh wow. I thought it was 2 guys.

Very impressive.

slash000 on
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Oh wow. I thought it was 2 guys.

Very impressive.

Not only that, but his labor of love is absolutely 100% free. He single-handedly revitalized indie gaming*.
    *no research done to back up this claim

The man is the spirit of the indie scene.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Apparently different people see different wallpapers on http://www.cavestorywii.com/, so maybe we should share all the different ones or something.

The ones I'm getting are called flyaway and quoteportrait.

Peewi on
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    tigsource.com has a link to a site where you can DL them all in one convenient package.

Sorry, wrong site. Here's a link to the site in question:

http://community.livejournal.com/doukutsu/125155.html

the internet takes the fun out of everything, eh?

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Ledneh wrote: »
    Personally for me, in areas where your timing and control really mattered, I found WASD to be just unworkable. For the majority of the game it was fine, but for certain instances I really needed the finer degree of control I got out of my 360 controller.
    In what possible way is a D-pad more precise than WSAD? Unless you just mean you're more used to it, in which case fair enough.

Glal on
  • GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Yep, I shall most certainly be buying this. Buying this to the limit in fact. I've only beaten Cave Story about 10 times, I'm not bored of it yet. I could always go for some more time attacks of "That" place. 4:24 is my best time on this PC but on my old and dead one I had under 4. We're talking in the 3:4x realm of times. I was truly one of the gods.

Gilder on
  • RandomKitRandomKit Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Dunno if this has been mentioned yet but I heard that the new graphics and music were on separate switches so you can choose if you want new graphics and old sound or old graphics and new sounds or ect.

RandomKit on
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Grr...
    Curly gave her life, not for honor, but for Quote. I missed the Tow Cable I didn't know about and saved. I'll continue onward toward the BAD END and maybe try again when this is on Wii. I have much mathmatics courses.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    i love this game because it takes the framework of Metroidvania type games and fills it with awesome frantic combat

Evil Multifarious on
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    As much as I love it coming to WiiWare, am I the only one that wishes it would get a DS release?

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Someone was porting it to the DS. I don't know if they have given up though.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Grr...
    Curly gave her life, not for honor, but for Quote. I missed the Tow Cable I didn't know about and saved. I'll continue onward toward the BAD END and maybe try again when this is on Wii. I have much mathmatics courses.

TRIANGLE EATER

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
    edited October 2008
    Macro9 wrote: »

Who would publish it though?

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Publish? Who published the PC game?

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
    edited October 2008

Nobody would publish it. I'm assuming by "porting" he means in homebrew terms.

nobody published the PC version. The guy made and released it for free online.

slash000 on
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

That is my point!

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • atat23atat23 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    This is good news, never played it because I wanted to play it with a controller. After playing IWBTG I plan to never play another platforming game without a controller.

Actually tried hooking my 6 axis to my PC but the buttons it gives you to work with are impossible to use. The best I could come up with was left analogue to move, R3 to jump and down to shoot. It won't let you use any of the shoulder buttons or any of the main buttons (X, O,square or triangle)

atat23 on
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    atat23 wrote: »
    This is good news, never played it because I wanted to play it with a controller. After playing IWBTG I plan to never play another platforming game without a controller.

Actually tried hooking my 6 axis to my PC but the buttons it gives you to work with are impossible to use. The best I could come up with was left analogue to move, R3 to jump and down to shoot. It won't let you use any of the shoulder buttons or any of the main buttons (X, O,square or triangle)

Have you tried using Xpadder?

joshofalltrades on
  • DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

That is my point!

It would be 'published' via homebrew. There's actually a demo of it floating around, if you've got a flashcart.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

I guess the main problem here is that the PS3 controllers aren't supported on PC. I've had no problems playing Cave Story with a wired 360 controller.

Peewi on
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Huzzah for everyone learning the horror that was the island core.

I just found that part much harder compared to the final boss level.

Must finish replayed the super hard final level.

RoyceSraphim on
    edited October 2008
    DeathPrawn wrote: »

That is my point!

It would be 'published' via homebrew. There's actually a demo of it floating around, if you've got a flashcart.

Homebrew? Fuck that.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    edited October 2008
    agoaj wrote: »
    Grr...
    IM STIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIILLL IN A CAAAAAAAAAAVEE
    TRIANGLE EATER

fixed.

Cantido on
  • atat23atat23 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Have you tried using Xpadder?

you are the man! (also the guy) :winky:

atat23 on
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Grr...
    TRIANGLE EATER

fixed.
    wait are you making a reference to that song from MGS3

I'M STIIIIILL IN A CAAAAAAVE
    CRAB BATTLE

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Grr...
    TRIANGLE EATER

fixed.

CRAB BATTLE
    NSFW:
    ?

urahonky on
    edited October 2008
    urahonky wrote: »
    Grr...
    TRIANGLE EATER

fixed.

CRAB BATTLE
    NSFW:
    ?

There's already a Cave Story remix album, some is pretty good and would fit inside the game well.

How about

We call out to the beasts of the caverns
    to come out and join us. This night is yours.
    Because, one day, we will all be with you in the blackened deep.
    One day, WE WILL ALL GO INTO THE ISLAND

Mimigas got's no goods metals to listens to.

Cantido on
  • DomhnallDomhnall Minty D. Vision! ScotlandRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    That video is one of the funniest things I've ever seen.

*Also Cave Story looks very good. Don't have a Wii or a controller for my PC though, is the keyboard decent enough to play it?

Domhnall on
    Xbox Live - Minty D Vision
    Steam - Minty D. Vision!
    Origin/BF3 - MintyDVision
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Domhnall wrote: »

*Also Cave Story looks very good. Don't have a Wii or a controller for my PC though, is the keyboard decent enough to play it?

Yeah, the keyboard's fine. It might take some getting used to at first but it shouldn't take that long.

Also, I just
    beat the doctor's first two forms and than died to the third one with only like 6 health the entire time. I was so close too, only about 30% of his life was left! So close! D:

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
    edited October 2008
    Domhnall wrote: »

The game was built and designed around a keyboard. Yes it works fine.

randombattle on
    I never asked for this!
  • DomhnallDomhnall Minty D. Vision! ScotlandRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Thanks, Darmak and randombattle. New game to play tomorrow.

Domhnall on
    Xbox Live - Minty D Vision
    Steam - Minty D. Vision!
    Origin/BF3 - MintyDVision