As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Superman: Man of Tomorrow! (and his dog)

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Superman wasn't gonna die anyway. I mean, if he dies who would deliver the "Superman is Dead" story to the Daily Planet? Clark Kent of course!

Lucascraft on
  • lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    HadjiQuest wrote: »
    TeaSpoon wrote: »
    Figgis wrote: »
    Algertman wrote: »
    I never really understood the "Man of Tomorrow" thing

The human race will evolve into to super powered beings. Grant Morrison said it and he doesn't lie.

Was it Alan Moore who wanted to make Krypton the Earth in the far future?

I don't know if Alan Moore had the idea, but Mark Millar certainly did by way of Red Son.

Bazzam.

Apparently Jerry Siegel's original origin idea was for superman to be the last child before earth's destruction, literally a super-powered boy of tomorrow, and sent back in time to the current era.

Supes would be so much more interesting if that were the case.

You clearly have not read Superman: Red Son.

lionheart_m on
    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

The human race will evolve into to super powered beings. Grant Morrison said it and he doesn't lie.

I don't know if Alan Moore had the idea, but Mark Millar certainly did by way of Red Son.

Bazzam.

Apparently Jerry Siegel's original origin idea was for superman to be the last child before earth's destruction, literally a super-powered boy of tomorrow, and sent back in time to the current era.

You clearly have not read Superman: Red Son.

Sweet christ I get sick of people slobbering over Red Son's cock. IT IS NOT THAT GOOD. There are a million other quality Superman stories out there! It is not the be-all end-all, last-word on good Superman work. The books right now are amazing and if you're not reading them you really need to work on that.

Furu on
  • mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Red Son is an excellent book, but I agree it's not the ultimate. However, it is an example of a truly iconic piece: it is so self-contained, and so well-examined by the writer, that the final work is nearly flawless. This doesn't mean it's perfectly entertaining, but rather that it's a virtually perfect instance of that type of story.

mattharvest on
  • 1ddqd1ddqd Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I just finished re-reading Red Son and although there is some lacking character development here and there (Pyotr, for instance) but other than that, I couldn't really find anything wrong with it.

1ddqd on
  • JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I don't know if this fits here, but has anyone read Gladiator by Wyilie Philip (it's an all-text book)? It's supposedly the basis for Superman, about a kid with super powers who has to hide them, etc. I just heard about it today!

JoeUser on
  • ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2008
    Red Son is an excellent book, but I agree it's not the ultimate. However, it is an example of a truly iconic piece: it is so self-contained, and so well-examined by the writer, that the final work is nearly flawless. This doesn't mean it's perfectly entertaining, but rather that it's a virtually perfect instance of that type of story.

i would say it's not the "ultimate" just because it's an elseworlds story and not an actual superman story. it's one of the best superman elseworlds stories, though. all in all, honestly, it's probably one of the better elseworlds stories in general.

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • LibrarianThorneLibrarianThorne Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    So, just got done with Superman: The Greatest Stories Ever Told v1. Worth it for "Does the World Need a Superman?" and "What's so Funny about Truth, Justice, and the American Way?"

My must-read Superman book list, as I saw the one earlier in the thread:
    Superman: For All Seasons
    Superman: The Greatest Stories Ever Told
    The DC Universe Stories of Alan Moore
    JLA v2: American Dreams
    All-Star Superman v1 and v2
    Kingdom Come
    The Death and Return of Superman
    Superman: Man of Steel
    Superman: Birthright
    Superman: Secret Identity
    It's a Bird...
    Lex Luthor: Man of Steel

Also, the first volume of Invincible is pretty much how I'd imagine Superman and Lois raising a kid.

LibrarianThorne on
  • ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2008
    don't forget every Showcase Presents: Superman, too!

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Servo wrote: »

i would say it's not the "ultimate" just because it's an elseworlds story and not an actual superman story. it's one of the best superman elseworlds stories, though. all in all, honestly, it's probably one of the better elseworlds stories in general.

Yeah, I was disappointed venturing into other elseworlds books after read red son as my first one. (nearly first one, I had Speeding Bullets as a kid). So much of the Elseworlds stuff reeked of the same crap that the Amalgam stuff did.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Action Comics
    There goes Pa. :(

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
    edited October 2008
    Yeah, um.
    So, now we've got a city of Superpeople. They're inevitably not going to stay permanently without being depowered (and even that would be problematic, since they have all that super-science). Are we going to have to suffer through a whole arc of super-idiots causing damage while either good or bad intentioned? Or are they immediately going to neuter this?

mattharvest on
    edited October 2008
    I'm pretty sure all of the solicitations have indicated that the former will be happening.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
    edited October 2008
    Zeromus wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure all of the solicitations have indicated that the former will be happening.

So, how is this going to interface with Trinity, etc.?
    I'm picturing that part of Death of the New Gods where a bunch of New Gods were zipping around Metropolis, causing havoc. It seems to me that most of the Kryptonians, upon discovering their powers, would want to go out, see the world, etc. I doubt many at all would be eager to stay in that same city they've been locked in for decades.

mattharvest on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited October 2008

So, how is this going to interface with Trinity, etc.?

Trinity is in its own little continuity because while it's 18 or 19 issues down, it's one continuous story. There's no way it could consistently keep up with every other DCU book. Countdown tried that and it was awful.

As for other books, uh, I guess we'll see?

Garlic Bread on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    What's even happening in Trinity? Nobody's complaining about it like they did with Countdown, so I haven't been able to keep up.

Robos A Go Go on
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Trinity is self contained and is not tying into anything else

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited October 2008
    Balefuego wrote: »

That's what they said originally, but I think recently they said it will show some of the changes (I think RIP was mentioned?)

Either way is fine with me, though.

Garlic Bread on
  • valiancevaliance Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Bazzam.

Red Son is something you should read..

valiance on
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    So I assume the Geoff Johns run is pretty amazing, and everything he's written or helped to write has been great. Am I correct?

HadjiQuest on
    edited October 2008
    Yes

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • LilithiumLilithium __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2008
    What issue does the Braniac story start at?

Lilithium on
    What's that ringing? Ting-ting-a-linging in my head~? Oh, you're always there, making me whole. You're always waiting up for me. You're my first kiss, ever so pure, and ever so defiling, once lost, can never be the same. Fuck me. Violate me. Deny me.
  • smokmnkysmokmnky Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    subtract 5 (6?) from today's issue that just came out

smokmnky on
    edited October 2008
    It started with #866 pretty sure

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited October 2008
    So, has Johns done his own origin story? I heard that the recent storylines have been kind of a soft-reset to fix continuity after that last Crisis. Anything along the lines of what he did with Green Lantern?

HadjiQuest on
    edited October 2008
    thats not really how I would describe it although I guess the Kandor thing would count as a retcon

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited October 2008
    Well he did completley revamp Brainiac, and thank god for that.

Because the comic version of Brainiac was terrible

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    hmmm

the ending to brainiac sure does seem familiar

Sars_Boy on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Sars_Boy wrote: »
    hmmm

the ending to brainiac sure does seem familiar

Whaddya mean?

Robos A Go Go on
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    It's a bit like another Superman comic from fairly recently.

Wildcat on
  • Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Keith wrote: »

That's what they said originally, but I think recently they said it will show some of the changes (I think RIP was mentioned?)

Either way is fine with me, though.

Apparently, near the end it'll lead into Final Crisis.

And Trinity has been pretty good. It started off pretty slowly, with everything dragged out really slowly, but they seem to have gotten the hang of things.

Anyway, they've kinda retconned Superman's origin but not by much. They have however retconned Supergirl's origin (which is the third origin she's had since she came back...), which will hopefully be a lot better.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
    edited October 2008
    Action Comics
    There goes Pa. :(

I don't see the point of this.
    It was broken in the news as a big thing, but it didn't do anything for me. And I don't know why they even put it in the news since both mainstream Superman "outlets" (the films and Smallville) had Jonathan Kent killed off. I don't think it was an especially powerful scene and I don't see what point it will serve in the future.

Unless he's gonna be a Black Lantern

Garlic Bread on
    edited October 2008
    I would expect Johns has some long term plans as to the ramifications of this.

He better not be a black lantern though ugh

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited October 2008
    Oh I'm sure he has plans, i just can't see what they'd be.

Garlic Bread on
  • SalmonOfDoubtSalmonOfDoubt Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    He#s going to be the new Deadman

SalmonOfDoubt on
    heavensidesig80.jpg
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    killing children would be hilarious
    Olivaw wrote: »
    HELLO AND WELCOME TO THE PENNY ARCADE FORUMS

PLEASE ENJOY YOUR STAY

AND THIS PENIS
    Man, I don't want to read about this lady's broken vagina.
    NotACrook wrote: »
    I am sitting here trying to come up with a tiered system for rating child molesters.
    cock vore is fuckin hilarious
  • Rubber SledRubber Sled Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    thats not really how I would describe it although I guess the Kandor thing would count as a retcon

That's one of the things I love about Johns...He doesn't throw anything out. His stories haven't rebooted anything. Rather, he's added to the existing mythos under the premise that we (and the characters) never knew the whole story--Like in the Toyman story or the current Brainiac story, where we learn that, while all the old post-Crisis Brainiac stories occurred, we'd never met the real deal.

Rubber Sled on
    "You know chicks who will do a free striptease just for gettin' to go on a car ride?"
    edited October 2008
    I'd like to note that I thought the last page of the last Superman issue that had Superman saying "THIS IS A HERO" while pointing at Krypto was hilarious and awesome

Robinson fucking loves Krypto so much. The "Good boy" line is getting a bit stale, though

Garlic Bread on
    edited October 2008
    Is there going to be a trade with that Toyman issue (AC865) in it?

HadjiQuest on
  • Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

That's one of the things I love about Johns...He doesn't throw anything out.
    except on green lantern

Sars_Boy on
  • Rubber SledRubber Sled Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Yeah...That's true. He pretty much did away with Hal's entire post-Crisis origin...

Rubber Sled on
    "You know chicks who will do a free striptease just for gettin' to go on a car ride?"