As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Upcoming Games Thread

• RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    So.... who's up?

Also, !sign-up for me to host "Homicide." I am hammering out mechanics for whenever my name comes up.
    I'll sign you up. Is that a homicide-themed Phalla, or a different game called Homicide? Because in the latter case, I can put you higher up in the line-up.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    It's a Homicide-themed Phalla. (technically, a homicide division of a metro police agency-themed Phalla) I'm trying to think about other possible game types, but nothing inspiring is coming to me.

Also, I asked a linguistics major and he thinks the noun for "one who participates in a Phalla" would be "Phallist." I think it's appropriate.

Edit: also, dibs on a spot in tuxkamen's game, because I haven't played one on PA yet.

MrMonroe on
    edited August 2008
    Update: No news from stormwind or tuxkamen. Quid needs a co-host. If he gets one (or decides to go alone) it'll be his game, otherwise it'll be Frosteey's.

Anyone wants to co-host with Quid? PM him or something.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    The game will be a version of Mornington Crescent.

Those of you familiar with the game will understand my uncertainty of just how this will unfold.

Quid on
  • tuxkamentuxkamen really took this picture. Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Richy wrote: »
    Update: No news from stormwind or tuxkamen. Quid needs a co-host. If he gets one (or decides to go alone) it'll be his game, otherwise it'll be Frosteey's.

Anyone wants to co-host with Quid? PM him or something.

If possible, if I can go on the 'pushed-back' list I will likely be in a better position in the next slot or two.

(Always hard to match these things up with free time months in advance.)

tuxkamen on

Games: Ad Astra Per Phalla | Choose Your Own Phalla
    Thus, the others all die before tuxkamen dies to the vote. Hence, tuxkamen survives, village victory.
    3DS: 2406-5451-5770
  • Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    So I'd like to run Diplomacy here.

How soon can this happen?

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • JPantsJPants Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

I would LOVE to get in on that action.

JPants on
  • Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    JPants wrote: »

I would LOVE to get in on that action.

It will be called Diplomacy: After Dark :winky:

(The winky is included in the title)

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
    edited September 2008

Very soon. We try to alternate Phalla and Non-Phalla game for the sake of diversity, and yours in the only non-Phalla game up.

Well Quid's non-Phalla game just ended, so we're in two-week break period. Next game will be a Phalla. You could be right after that one, so maybe 6 weeks from now.

Richy on
    sig.gif
    edited September 2008
    Well, Diplomacy is probably a game best run concurrently with something.

Each game year is going to take a week to allow for communication time and everything, so it will probably last a couple months or so. So....I dunno. I could just take it to CF if you want, but I'd kinda like to get some D&D people in on it.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
    edited September 2008
    Well, Diplomacy is probably a game best run concurrently with something.

Each game year is going to take a week to allow for communication time and everything, so it will probably last a couple months or so. So....I dunno. I could just take it to CF if you want, but I'd kinda like to get some D&D people in on it.
    And I'd like to play too! I would have skipped if each game-year was a day, because I don't have time for that, but week-long years fit nicely in my schedule.

Well, the rule for concurrent games is "non-disruptive and very long games with few active players", which seems to describe Diplomacy perfectly. Elki will have to sign on it, but I'll tentatively say that it's acceptable.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I am so in on Diplomacy. Don't make it too slow though or people tend to lose interest.

Zek on
  • Jason ToddJason Todd Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I have never played diplomacy, but I feel a responsibility to honor my austrian ancestors

Jason Todd on
    filefile.jpg
    edited September 2008
    Zek wrote: »
    I am so in on Diplomacy. Don't make it too slow though or people tend to lose interest.
    While I'd greatly prefer it if everyone who signed up played until the end (and I don't just mean Diplomacy, but all our forum games), Diplomacy is a game of only 7 players. So it won't be too difficult to get reserve players if some drop out.

Richy on
    sig.gif
    edited September 2008
    While I'd greatly prefer it if everyone who signed up played until the end (and I don't just mean Diplomacy, but all our forum games), Diplomacy is a game of only 7 players. So it won't be too difficult to get reserve players if some drop out.
    Well, the issue with finding reserves is that the most common reason for dropping out of Diplomacy is because you missed a couple turns and are losing, which makes some people reluctant to sign up. I'm trying to work out a couple ways to prevent this, though, so stay tuned.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
    edited September 2008
    Well, the issue with finding reserves is that the most common reason for dropping out of Diplomacy is because you missed a couple turns and are losing, which makes some people reluctant to sign up. I'm trying to work out a couple ways to prevent this, though, so stay tuned.
    Well you wouldn't switch with the reserves after a few turns! The way I see it, if we have a week per turn, each player would send you confirmation mid-way through the week that they're still playing. If someone doesn't, you switch them with a reserve. The new player will have half-a-week to catch up and send orders, and the game-nation won't lose a turn.

We should have a meta-rule, no lying to replacements about deals made with his predecessor. Otherwise it'd be too easy to mislead them with stuff like "Yeah, your predecessor and I were allies, and for our next move he was going to leave all his nations undefended and launch this suicide attack here, and I'd back him up and not take over his countries. Trust me."

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    So uh can I sign up to host an Achewood Great Outdoor Fight-themed game? I'm still hammering out the details but I think it could turn out pretty neat.

Speed Racer on
    edited October 2008
    So uh can I sign up to host an Achewood Great Outdoor Fight-themed game? I'm still hammering out the details but I think it could turn out pretty neat.
    Three things:

1. Achewood sucks.

2. Yes I can sign you up for that. Will that be a Phalla or another kind of game? In the second case, when do you expect you could be ready?

3. No seriously, Achewood sucks.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Three things:

1. Achewood sucks.

2. Yes I can sign you up for that. Will that be a Phalla or another kind of game? In the second case, when do you expect you could be ready?

Man that is some serious nonsense you are saying.

Phalla's the only game-type I'm really all that acquainted with, though now that you're mentioning it I might look around and see if there's something else I could use, so as to not be at the bottom of a year-long list.

Speed Racer on
    edited October 2008
    Three things:

1. Achewood sucks.

Man that is some serious nonsense you are saying.

Phalla's the only game-type I'm really all that acquainted with, though now that you're mentioning it I might look around and see if there's something else I could use, so as to not be at the bottom of a year-long list.
    Alright, well I'll add you as a Phalla for now, and if later on you decide to go with a different game type just let me know and I'll change it.

Richy on
    sig.gif
    edited October 2008
    Sounds good. The ideas I'm thinking of area pretty far departure from standard Phalla anyway, so I could very well end up with something better to base them off of.

Honestly, once I have the whole thing worked out I think I'll PM you a quick summary of the ruleset, because it might end up distinct enough from Phalla to just be its own kind of thing.

Speed Racer on
  • MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2008
    Hey people who volunteered to help with game mechanics:

Are any of you particularly familiar with Red Mars by Kim Stanley Robinson?

Medopine on
    edited October 2008
    Medopine wrote: »

I read the trilogy, but that was many years ago.

Richy on
    sig.gif
    edited October 2008
    All right, Richy, I'm PMing you the ruleset for my game. Tell me if you agree with me about whether or not it's even a Phalla anymore, and I'd appreciate some notes on its balance as well. Thanks.

Speed Racer on
  • LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008

I am not... sorry.

LaOs on
  • FrosteeyFrosteey Elaise 1521-2945-8940Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    My game's over. Not that anyone even knew it took place, since Richy didn't give a bold announcement...

: (

Frosteey on
  • MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2008
    Richy is asleep I bet :P

Red Mars (40 people) will be prepared mechanics wise by the end of this week just FYI

Medopine on
    edited October 2008
    Richy is asleep I bet :P

Red Mars (40 people) will be prepared mechanics wise by the end of this week just FYI
    Sure, send it over whenever you're ready.

Richy on
    sig.gif
    edited October 2008
    So, if Frosteey's game is over, that means that in about two weeks from now we'll start the next Phalla.

That would be around the 23rd. First on the list is DasUberEdward, if he can't do it it's Medo, then tuxkamen.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Randall_FlaggRandall_Flagg Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    has anyone ever run a nomic in D&D?

Randall_Flagg on
    edited October 2008
    has anyone ever run a nomic in D&D?
    Yes, once. Unfortunately, I do not believe the game was archived. But as I recall, it was a hit, and people were looking forward to a second one.

Richy on
    sig.gif
    edited October 2008
    So, if Frosteey's game is over, that means that in about two weeks from now we'll start the next Phalla.

That would be around the 23rd. First on the list is DasUberEdward, if he can't do it it's Medo, then tuxkamen.
    DasUberEdward has confirmed he'll be hosting the next Phalla game, starting sometime around the 23rd.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • NerissaNerissa Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

DasUberEdward has confirmed he'll be hosting the next Phalla game, starting sometime around the 23rd.

The 23rd of what month? :P

Nerissa on
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Nerissa wrote: »
    June. :whistle:

Aldo on
    edited November 2008
    Nerissa wrote: »
    DUE was away for a few days last week, so the start of the game was delayed until his return (it was either that or having a long inactivity break in the middle of the game). I believe he's coming back today, so sign-ups should be up by tomorrow.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • narvinyenarvinye Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Looking for someone who won't be interested in playing a multi-faction Galactic Senate Phalla to go over game concepts and rules...

narvinye on
  • narvinyenarvinye Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    We have pretty much solidified roles and rules, just want an outside set of eyes...

narvinye on
    edited November 2008
    I can take a crack at it. And there's a list of other volunteer reviewers you can contact in the OP.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I'd like to take a slot, although I may need to put my game on hold depending on when my turn comes around.

I was thinking a "New World" themed phalla, but with some supernatural elements.

Casual Eddy on
    edited November 2008
    Medo is next in line for a Phalla. But starting a game now is not the best time, what with Finals coming up, Holiday preparations, Christmas traveling, and the holiday break during which the forums are on lock-down. So her game will begin in January when the forums come back up.

Richy on
    sig.gif