As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

What's in a name? Your name, baby names, terrible names, awesome ones

• SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2008
    KalTorak wrote: »
    Medopine wrote: »
    I think it's okay to want your child to hve a unique name. I also think it's okay to choose a popular one - in the end I don't think it makes a terrible world of difference and legal name changes after adulthood are always possible.

There is a line of "okay that's not unique, that's just dumb" which includes stupid spellings and naming your kids after jello, but I'm guessing that line is probably different for everyone.

I think Constantine would be a great name and I stick by Perseus and Artemis too.

"goes to page through mythology books"

I like the name "Phaedre," but I wouldn't really want my kid to learn where it came from.

Dad, where did you get my name from?

Sweetie, we were super stoned one night, listening to Tangerine Dream, and it seemed like a good idea.

My middle name is taken from a doctor on a soap opera.
    D:

Sheep on
  • MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2008
    Phaedra is another one I really like

Medopine on
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I'm obviously called Sam and I'm quite happy with that. Very few people call me 'Samuel', but it always makes me feel a bit special when they do.

As for kids' names, I've got no idea what I'd go with yet.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Phaedra is another one I really like
    Name a son Phaeton

Don't let him borrow the car

Elendil on
  • Andrew_JayAndrew_Jay Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Oh man, I'm in the top-10? I feel so . . . so generic.

My girlfriend doesn't like any of the names I've suggested for children (not that any are on the way). Though I think we might get somewhere with Nichola.

She rejected the Irish names I've come up with - Emer, Saoirse.

I just consistently suggest Colin as a boy's name to piss her off.
    my last name is Collins

Andrew_Jay on
    edited October 2008
    Andrew_Jay wrote: »

For your birth year too?

Medopine on
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

My girlfriend doesn't like any of the names I've suggested for children (not that any are on the way). Though I think we might get somewhere with Nichola.

She rejected the Irish names I've come up with - Emer, Saorise.

my last name is Collins

My name's David. How is that not in the top 10?

Though I guess it could just be on the downswing.
    I was able to field an all-Dave ultimate frisbee team at college.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • DoxaDoxa Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Every Dave I've met who is past the age 25 is married to a Sue

I don't know what the fuck is going on, but its happened four times.

Doxa on
  • deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Everyone always adds an s to my last name and that makes me angry.

deadonthestreet on
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    "Mistake" and "Failed Abortion" are the top contenders for my kids. If I have twins: "Real" and "Clone #1".

My first name is pretty standard, James. I do like that my (rather silly sounding) last name is an Ellis Island Polish name. Which means no one in Poland has it, and no one but our relatives in the States has it. Googling my last name returns my family tree and nothing else.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • fairweatherfairweather OregonRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Alternatively, if I ever have crib midgets, I might name them after famous mathematicians and/or computer scientists. Ada would be a cool name for a daughter and Haskell for a son.

I always liked the idea of having a son and daughter named Charles and Ada.

Another name that dawned on me after reading this thread is Archimedes. The only problem is that it doesn't shorten down to anything really.

I also like the names Virgil and Alexander.

fairweather on
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Archie?

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • kilroydoskilroydos Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Archimedes easily becomes Archie. Whether or not that's a good thing is up to you.

kilroydos on
  • AsiinaAsiina ... WaterlooRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Another name that dawned on me after reading this thread is Archimedes. The only problem is that it doesn't shorten down to anything really.

Archie.

EDIT: Damnit

EDIT 2: x2

Asiina on
  • evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    93rd in my birth year, and that site has the wrong meaning for my name.

evilbob on
    l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• kilroydoskilroydos Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    On a related note, I am now the proud father of a baby girl whose name is Ophelia June. Any advice on potential nicknames or shortenings would be appreciated. Obviously, OJ is right there, but with the multiple murder and robbery association, that might not be the best bet.

kilroydos on
    edited October 2008
    I'm not a fan of the name "Alexander" but I like "Alexandra" a lot

It is very strange

Elendil on
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    My first name, Aarne, means "eagle".

My middle name, Teppo, means "crowned".

My third name, Antero, means "manly".

I'm the manly crowned eagle.

reVerse on
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    My first name means "Someone in the family has ever read the bible or heard of a famous king" and my last name means "Polish names are not spelled phoentically this is fake".

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
    edited October 2008
    For your birth year too?
    15th back in 1983, for the U.S.

Apparently I'm not even in the top-20 for 2007 baby names in Canada (couldn't find historical lists).

Andrew_Jay on
  • OboroOboro __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2008
    man I didn't know Emily was so popular

I would've stuck with Rebecca

except sticking with Rebecca would've meant having to constantly explain that 'Becky' is terrible and if people wanted to shorten it, they had to shorten it to 'Becca'

anyway my middle name is Jane and 'Emily Jane' is much cooler than just Emily so nyeh

as for my last name, I adopted the last name of my family from before they came to America, changed their name, and converted to hateful Christianity ... so I have our Polish-Jewish name instead of the Americanized bastardization

Oboro on
    words
    edited October 2008

She rejected the Irish names I've come up with - Emer, Saorise.

my last name is Collins

How do you pronounce those irish names?

My boyfriend's niece is named "Anya" but it's spelled "Eine" which is a Gaelic spelling I guess

His nephew is "Owen" which is also spelled differently I think

Medopine on
    edited October 2008
    kilroydos wrote: »
    On a related note, I am now the proud father of a baby girl whose name is Ophelia June. Any advice on potential nicknames or shortenings would be appreciated. Obviously, OJ is right there, but with the multiple murder and robbery association, that might not be the best bet.

Ellie?

Medopine on
  • WetsunWetsun Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    My name is Weston. It is fine for most people, but some have a very difficult time with it, or really want to call me wesley or wes. Also, a lot of friends just call me Wetsun, which started when someone decided to refer to me as Wet-san in a Japanese voice (Like Daniel-san). The accent has long been dropped.

I have a friend whose first/middle names are Christopher Robin. Yeah, on purpose.

[edit] And Winston. People try to call me Winston too much.

Wetsun on
    XBL/Steam: Wetsun
  • OboroOboro __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2008

Ellie?
    I've also heard Fee

Oboro on
    words
  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    I used to run a canvass office in Philadelphia. We hired for short time work, so we were doing interviews constantly. I saw all sorts of crazy names come through.

Personal favorite: Saf-aye-en-aye
    spelled: Caffeine

My wife is a med student. Apparently there are horror stories about mothers trying to name their kids with words they see on the charts, most notable "miconium."
    Baby's first poo.

What the fuck? Why would you do that, in the first one? Make it deliberately difficult? Fuck.

I mean, it's retarded beyond that, but why would you try to "fake someone out" with a name?
    She didn't know about the origin of the spelling until I asked (and then had to explain).

I just assumed that her parents saw that on the side of a coke can and thought it sounded highbrow. It's not even one of the more ridiculous names I saw during that stint, just one that stuck with me.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
    edited October 2008
    Oboro wrote: »

Ellie?
    I've also heard Fee
    Ophel

Pronounced offal

Elendil on
    edited October 2008
    Emer, Saoirse.
    How do you pronounce those irish names?
    Ay-Mur and Sear-Sha

Andrew_Jay on
  • LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    My first name means "Someone in the family has ever read the bible or heard of a famous king" and my last name means "Polish names are not spelled phoentically this is fake".

David? If so hi5. Talking of bad nick names, I hate Dave, that shit is just unconscionable.

Personally I really like Alexander/Alexandra as possible names, however the first is my middle name and I have a cousin named the second so that pretty much stops me using them.

Leitner on
  • FunkyWaltDoggFunkyWaltDogg Columbia, SCRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Doxa wrote: »

Every Dave I've met who is past the age 25 is married to a Sue

I don't know what the fuck is going on, but its happened four times.

Woo coincidence, my best bud is named David and he's married to a Susan.

Even more hilarious, he has a brother named Andrew, and his sister married a guy named Andrew, who also shares his last name with this family.

FunkyWaltDogg on
  • yotesyotes Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    KalTorak wrote: »
    I don't really like my name, for some reason it's hard for me to say. Don't ask me why I falter on "Greg" all the time, but I do during introductions.

I have the exact same problem. My name's Pietro, not the most complicated thing to pronounce, but whenever I even try to think of my own name, my throat gets all knotted up.

It's probably some kind of mental disorder. If my name was Joe, I'd probably fuck that up, too. Hi, I'm Jeerrrgh.

If I ever were to have a child, he or she would absolutely be named Nicodemus, by the way. Fantastic name.

yotes on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

"No one out-crazies Ophelia!"

KalTorak on
  • evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I think I would hate my name less if my parents had gone with their original plan and spelled it Adriaan.

evilbob on
    l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Phil G.Phil G. __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2008
    Well if you can't tell, my name is Phil, I almost never meet any other Phil, so I don't think it is very common.

Boy names:

Paul
    Peter
    Seamus (Only if my wife were Irish)
    Max
    Julian
    Charles
    Will (no -iam, so it is a bit more unique... right?)

Girl names:

Sabrina
    Alanna
    Layla

I want a boy much more...

Phil G. on
  • FatsFats Corvallis, ORRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    My name is far too common. Google gives 213,000 hits for "Patrick Sullivan", and even with my middle name, Joseph, there are a few thousand (including not one, but two Republican politicians from the early 20th century -- what the hell?). I do like it, though.

Other than Patrick, Marcus is a good boy's name. Rebecca and Fiona for girls.

Fats on
  • BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I'm pretty sure I've related this hilarity before, but there it is again.

japan and I realised a couple of years ago that if we had a son and followed both of our familes' naming traditions, our child would be called 'Billy Bob'. D:

In my family (both my father's side and my mother's side) the first son is called William.

In japan's family, the first son takes the grandfather's first name as his middle name, which in this case would be Robert.

I'm not sure if I could actually go through with this.

EDIT: Fun Facrt - If you put my name (first name and surname, in inverted commas) into google, all the hits are me.

BobCesca on
  • LurkLurk Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    My full name is Alexandr, but since I moved to Canada while I was young - I was assumed that it was spelt Alexander for school and such. Which means I have conflicting spellings of my name on record.

I was originally named Sasha... but how the hell does one get Alexand(e)r out of it? I keep using Sasha but I can always swap it out for Alex to be more plain. If on the flipside I want to be more "unique", I can use Shurik which is also shortened form.

Names are weird and illogical.

Lurk on
    415429-1.png?1281464977
  • jeddy leejeddy lee Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    evilbob wrote: »
    Never name your child Adrian. It is the worst name.

I always liked that name, however my friend Adrian did name his kid Chronos after the titan.

I also love my name, Jack. My wife Cristina and I plkan on our first childs name being Brock if a boy and Quincy if a girl.

Also, my wifes name was going to be Alethia. That is a terrible name and I'm glad that her mom convinced her dad otherwise.

jeddy lee on
    Backlog Challenge: 0%
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3

DS
    FF: 4 heroes of light
  • yotesyotes Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Sasha is a Russian nickname for Alexander.

Like Pasha for Pavel, it doesn't really make a whole lot of sense except for the -sha for extra cuteness.

Russians drink a lot, I guess.

yotes on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • LurkLurk Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    yotes wrote: »
    Sasha is a Russian nickname for Alexander.

I am aware of that, but that diminutive was entirely unprovoked. There are no similarities at all!

Lurk on
    415429-1.png?1281464977