As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Cave Story on the Wii! Huzzah!

• BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Cantido wrote: »
    Okay so this game branches and I need help.
    I won't lose Curly Brace this time. I'm getting ahead of myself, but I am in the Sand Zone. I will not get the Machine Gun or the first Jetpack this time.

Should I take my Polaris to the gunsmith for the Spur? Or to the labyrinth store for the Snake?

Spur spur spur. It's the numbah one super tops gun in gaem.

BlueDestiny on
  • DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I may be playing through the game right now using the Classic Controller, but I can't wait to buy it on Wii just to show my support for Pixel and for Nintendo actually letting indie developers release Wii Ware.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    You guys are nuts. Snake + Nemesis is superior

(edit) Admittedly it's only superior for Hell runs just because shooting through walls is so godly in there, but then again you are not manly if you don't go there

Ledneh on
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Heresy. Sword is best. <3

Glal on
  • BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I like the Snake more, but I play for cautiously and I love shooting through walls.

This game really needs multiple save slots, all the meaningful choices are cool, but it makes it difficult to see everything in one playthrough, or to mess up something important and get one of the bad endings.

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I didn't know you could save Curly. D:

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Darmak wrote: »
    Oh sure. You can also learn your name and discover your purpose on the island and origins, and also those of Curly.

Djiem on
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Djiem wrote: »
    Oh sure. You can also learn your name and discover your purpose on the island and origins, and also those of Curly.

Well I haven't beaten the game yet so I might figure one or more of those things out as well.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • LorkLork Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Well I haven't beaten the game yet so I might figure one or more of those things out as well.
    Probably not. If this game has one flaw, it's that you pretty much need a walkthrough to get the good ending.

Lork on
    Steam Profile: Lork
  • LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Lork wrote: »

Probably not. If this game has one flaw, it's that you pretty much need a walkthrough to get the good ending.

True. Most of the steps you can figure out, but one thing you have to do just makes absolutely zero goddamned sense at all.

(what that thing is)
    I mean, why the hell WOULDN'T you jump down to check on the poor bastard?

Ledneh on
  • DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Ledneh wrote: »

True. Most of the steps you can figure out, but one thing you have to do just makes absolutely zero goddamned sense at all.

(what that thing is)

Yes, that spoiler is basically what'd make me give this game Fucking Awesome score rather than Fucking Perfect if I had to review it. What they should have done is that
    you CAN climb up without the booster but in the dialogue he'd specify that if you don't take it now he could try and upgrade it.

Djiem on
  • randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

(what that thing is)

Yes, that spoiler is basically what'd make me give this game Fucking Awesome score rather than Fucking Perfect if I had to review it. What they should have done is that
    you CAN climb up without the booster but in the dialogue he'd specify that if you don't take it now he could try and upgrade it.
    I think the problem is that at that point in the game you aren't in a hurry or anything so you have no reason to stop and check him out.
    It would of been more of a choice if you actually had something pressing you to hurry right there so you had to go "Gee I want to check him but I can't stop now!"

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    2) wide screen graphics, if you're just stretching your 480p signal to 16:9 (which is something you can do on a PC) then you're not really getting widescreen graphics.

Not true. Yes, the wii always outputs in 640x480. However, that doesn't mean the source image in it's framebuffer is always 640x480. Output != internal resolution.

What is actually going on when you choose the widescreen option from the wii's menu, is that it's doubling it's Y resolution. So it's frame buffer is set up for 640x960. Everything in the frame buffer is drawn extra tall. The end effect is that the image in the frame buffer ends up being extra skinny, so when it's stretched across the 480p/i output, it shows more to the left and the right.

This is how all widescreen is done (excluding HD, of course). It is true widescreen.

oh how I've missed your technical insights TSR.

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • LorkLork Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

(what that thing is)

I think the problem is that at that point in the game you aren't in a hurry or anything so you have no reason to stop and check him out.
    It would of been more of a choice if you actually had something pressing you to hurry right there so you had to go "Gee I want to check him but I can't stop now!"
    That's the most obvious one, but you guys are forgetting the whole rigmarole with the water draining procedure. First there's the hard to get to doorway that you can't get back to if you miss, then there's the fact that you can put Curly in the bed, drain her and then leave thinking you're done, fucking yourself over. Oh, and don't forget about the mushroom that the game gives no hints at all on how to get. And make sure you remember to enter some random house while the island is falling down on your head at the very end of the game!

Lork on
    Steam Profile: Lork
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

(what that thing is)

That's the most obvious one, but you guys are forgetting the whole rigmarole with the water draining procedure. First there's the hard to get to doorway that you can't get back to if you miss, then there's the fact that you can put Curly in the bed, drain her and then leave thinking you're done, fucking yourself over. Oh, and don't forget about the mushroom that the game gives no hints at all on how to get. And make sure you remember to enter some random house while the island is falling down on your head at the very end of the game!

Original Zelda Syndrome. Indeed, this is my only complaint on the game. But I think I've reached the point where I can give the FAQ a rest, finally.
    Curly has regained her memories. SO MUCH DRAMA!

Also, I have traded the sword for The Nemesis. It's an awesome looking gun, but it sucks that it's not powered by A Rabbit's Fighting Spirit.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • eobeteobet 8-bit childhood SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    eobet on
    Heard the proposition that RIAA and MPAA should join forces and form "Music And Film Industry Association"?
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    eobet wrote: »

That looks very nice. It'd be great if they're also gonna release this new improved version on PC. Then I could buy it twice.

Peewi on
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Four times the pixels! Four times THE POWER!

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I say in a couple of weeks after CS is released on WiiWare, someone will start working on an upgraded graphics patch for the PC.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Four times the pixels! Four times THE POWER!

Whoa guys, don't want to melt the wii's here. You've got to go 2600 if you want a decent framerate.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Awesome option new graphics!

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
    edited October 2008
    I just beat it. I'll buy the fuck out of the Wiimake for the new visuals and music.

Cantido on
  • IdolNinjaIdolNinja Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Anyone know how involved Pixel himself is with this version? I'm just wondering if he had any input into the higher detailed sprites.

IdolNinja on
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    We can't wait to see what Pixel has done to the rest of the characters.

Glal on
  • eobeteobet 8-bit childhood SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    IdolNinja wrote: »
    Anyone know how involved Pixel himself is with this version? I'm just wondering if he had any input into the higher detailed sprites.

Input into everything, according to dev interview (linked earlier in the thread, I think).

eobet on
    Heard the proposition that RIAA and MPAA should join forces and form "Music And Film Industry Association"?
  • IdolNinjaIdolNinja Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Input into everything, according to dev interview (linked earlier in the thread, I think).

Ah, awesome! I missed the link itself while drooling over the new designs. I love the fact that the redesigned graphics are also optional, along with the sound.

IdolNinja on
    edited October 2008

Ah, awesome! I missed the link itself while drooling over the new designs. I love the fact that the redesigned graphics are also optional, along with the sound.

I only see Tokoro, are there more?

Cantido on
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    According to the Cave Story blog, the new artwork is apparently made by the original Cave Story creator.
    Cantido wrote: »

I only see Tokoro, are there more?

Only Toroko so far it seems. on http://www.cavestorywii.com/ you'll see a link to the blog where it comes from.

Peewi on
    edited October 2008
    Now I feel empty. I didn't want this game to end. <3

Hopefully extra features in Wii, or more likely DS, will have new exiting ways of lighting motherfuckers up.

Cantido on
    edited October 2008
    Cave Story never ends! There are a large number of different ways you can play it depending on your choices in the story and what weapons you want.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Randall_FlaggRandall_Flagg Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    FUCK!

in anticipation, I just downloaded this again and started playing through it for the second time, attempting to get the best ending

I got all the way to the plantation, doing everything right, and then I accidentally spoke to Mrs. Sakamoto and saved

she took my jetpack and now I can't get the mushroom

fuck!

Randall_Flagg on
    edited October 2008
    FUCK!

in anticipation, I just downloaded this again and started playing through it for the second time, attempting to get the best ending

I got all the way to the plantation, doing everything right, and then I accidentally spoke to Mrs. Sakamoto and saved

she took my jetpack and now I can't get the mushroom

fuck!

DONT PANIC, FOO.

Finish her quest, you'll get it back.

Cantido on
  • Randall_FlaggRandall_Flagg Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    THANK YOU

it's been a while since I first played and man, I didn't want to have wasted all that time just to restart

Randall_Flagg on
  • GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Note: You can get some different dialogue if you head to the last area with the Mimiga mask.

Gilder on
    edited October 2008
    Mid-late game spoilers:
    Just where is the Tow Rope, anyway? Do you need to find it before you fight the Core?

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Mid-late game spoilers:
    Just where is the Tow Rope, anyway? Do you need to find it before you fight the Core?
    It's in the same room, but disappears once the battle starts. Instead of talking to Curly, check the lower-right.

jothki on
    edited October 2008
    jothki wrote: »
    Mid-late game spoilers:
    It's in the same room, but disappears once the battle starts. Instead of talking to Curly, check the lower-right.

Cool, thanks.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • SkulkrakenSkulkraken Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I really like Cave Story, despite not being able to beat that blasted doctor. Is this going to be a Wii exclusive?

...And does this Wiiware release mean Quote might end up in the next Super Smash Bros.? It would be hilarious if Nintendo stuck in a version of the island's Hell into the singleplayer mode. :P

[Edit]
    Wait, no. A multiplayer arena set in Hell would be funnier. Imagine the chaos as everyone tries to avoid those spikes while the island crumbles around them. :P

Skulkraken on
    edited October 2008
    jothki wrote: »
    Mid-late game spoilers:

Cool, thanks.

Is that bullshit or what? That's only the beginning.

Cantido on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Gilder wrote: »
    Henroid wrote: »
    Gilder wrote: »
    The only thing that annoyed me while playing it on the compy is that the music was messed up and I kept getting weird buzz kind of sounds.

The sound thing was screwing with me for a while too. I wasn't getting buzzing but sections of music were missing. Did you try lowering the sample rate conversion quality? If I have it at anything but the lowest setting, the sound screws up.

Huh, maybe I should try setting it to that.

Okay maybe I'm missing something but I don't see any options in anything that came with Cave Story Deluxe that lets me change sound options. Teach me!

Also, Halkun shame on you for running away instead of being a hero! D:

You have to actually change your computer's sound options. I'm on XP so it's in control panel and sound options. You should be able to find it by clicking advanced and then performance on your main sound device.

Yay!

I adjusted it so it works in Cave Story. My next question is, if I leave it like this, how will my other programs be affected? (things like WoW, WMP, iTunes, DivX, etc)

Henroid on