As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Valkyria Chronicles hype thread - Very, very simply one of the best games this year

• DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    The demo is pretty cool.

Diarmuid on
  • Radikal_DreamerRadikal_Dreamer Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    CarbonFire wrote: »
    What's the ETA for the NA demo?

...or IS there a NA demo? D:

Isn't the demo exclusive to Qore for NA?

Then perhaps it's time to "move" to Europe ;-)

Just like me ;-)

Played the demo. I've got mixed opinions. At first I didn't like it. Then I got used to things and I started to really get into it, and then I hated one part at the end... None of my guys could fire above a fucking 2 foot bridge railing to hit the guy standing in plain sight on the other side. Dumb.

But other than that it looks to be a really awesome game.

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • geestackgeestack Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Just finished the demo as well and I like it a lot. Definite buy, also like the change of pace from normal swords and sorcery SRPGs. This holiday season is already destroying me.

geestack on
  • greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    What's the ETA for the NA demo?

...or IS there a NA demo? D:

Isn't the demo exclusive to Qore for NA?

Hmm I'm thinking of actually buying that issue of Qore instead of just making a European account since it will be "showing off new footage of Fallout 3, Resident Evil 5, and Dead Space"

greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • NickTheNewbieNickTheNewbie Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    MGS4 is the only ps3 game I have. This needs to hurry up and come out so I don't have a worthless piece of electronics sitting underneath my tv.

NickTheNewbie on
  • AggroChanAggroChan __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2008
    I loved this game.
    Reminds me alot of fire emblem/advance wars.
    I hope your people level up in the real game though. :<

AggroChan on
    PSN + Zune :>
    Sillender.jpgSillender.png
    edited October 2008
    MGS4 is the only ps3 game I have. This needs to hurry up and come out so I don't have a worthless piece of electronics sitting underneath my tv.

Gee, if the only game you have is MGS4, you must either be blind or have EXTREMELY selective taste.
    There's plenty of great ps3 games.

AggroChan on
  • Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Just played through the demo and it's pretty awesome. It took a little getting used to but I'm really excited to get the full version now. Tis a pity that we're not getting it a couple of weeks early like Europe is... Ah well, I guess it'd just cut into my LBP time anyway (and instead cut into my Mirror's Edge time...).

Really dumb move on Sega's part to only make the US demo available through Qore. REALLY dumb move. And when the game doesn't do really well, they'll blame the PS3 userbase... The only demos that should be on Qore are the ones that are already high profile games (like Motorstorm 2).

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Radikal_DreamerRadikal_Dreamer Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Really dumb move on Sega's part to only make the US demo available through Qore. REALLY dumb move. And when the game doesn't do really well, they'll blame the PS3 userbase... The only demos that should be on Qore are the ones that are already high profile games (like Motorstorm 2).

Exactly what I was saying to someone yesterday. It's bad enough that it's a pretty niche rpg coming out in the middle of a big buying holiday season that has things like LittleBigPlanet, Rock Band 2, and Resistance 2 (on the PS3 side anyway). To not have a demo for NA is just dumb. They're losing all sorts of sales that could come from people just gazing through the PSN and finding it.

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • NickTheNewbieNickTheNewbie Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    AggroChan wrote: »

Gee, if the only game you have is MGS4, you must either be blind or have EXTREMELY selective taste.

Everything I'd want on ps3 is also on 360. I'd rather get it on 360 so I can play with my friends who all have 360s.

NickTheNewbie on
  • Chrono HelixChrono Helix Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Damn I suck at this. I don't like attacking from long range (seeing how big the reticule is), so I keep trying to get close and shoot them in the face.

Chrono Helix on
    edited October 2008
    AggroChan wrote: »

Everything I'd want on ps3 is also on 360. I'd rather get it on 360 so I can play with my friends who all have 360s.

Uncharted, Ratchet & Clank, none of the psn games interest you?

Also I've decided I'm going to get a European account and use the money I was going to spend on Qore to buy linger in the shadows. Are there any tricks to setting up a Euro account? (Do I need to put a valid address/zip in?)

greeble on

I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I wouldn't be surprised if the demo is available to everyone after a short while, perhaps closer to when the game launches. Haven't the other Qore demos shown up on the PSN eventually? I seem to recall seeing a handful show up right around the time the game actually ships off.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • UltrachristUltrachrist Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Is there something wrong with just making a euro PSN account?

I really liked it. Art style is great and the game seems quite fun.

Here's a couple things the tutorial doesn't tell you (or at least I didn't notice):

There's multiple weapons you can rotate through. I was trying to get the heal item and noticed some of my guys have grenades.

If you put some characters near eachother, they will both attack when one does. I had the shocktrooper girl and the scout girl always fighting together and they would double attack every time. I had the 2 lancers together and they never did.

Something I don't get: Are there character based achievements or something? I noticed text would pop up occasionally like the scout girl gets "country bred" or something when running around on grass or the old man got "leader" when near the group. Then, later it shows the shock trooper girl's face on the screen and says "Big Sister" (which I assumed had something to do with always shooting with the scout girl) and later the same thing happened and she got "Strong Willed" which may have had something to do with her always being my unit I had running out in front first. Maybe someone who has followed the game closer can explain this to me.

Ultrachrist on
    ultrachrist2.png
  • Chrono HelixChrono Helix Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    They're abilities called "Potentials" that randomly activate under certain conditions (being near allies or in certain terrain) that generally give you temporary stat boosts. There's a menu where you can press R1 to see what Potentials a character has, then you can press Triangle to see what they do.

Chrono Helix on
    edited October 2008
    greeble wrote: »
    Also I've decided I'm going to get a European account and use the money I was going to spend on Qore to buy linger in the shadows. Are there any tricks to setting up a Euro account? (Do I need to put a valid address/zip in?)

It's just like a US account. You can make up an address but I'm pretty sure the city/province/post codes all have to match up. I used Cambridge, Cambridgeshire and CB11AA, if you want to use them.

Unco-ordinated on
  • ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    This demo was absolutely wonderful. Definitely buying this game. I'm glad there are some JRPGs trying to change things up a bit. Liking the variety in the characters: Coby, Yoko and Largo especially.

Reznik on
    Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Goddamnit, it's good! It's really good! I mean, we all knew the art style was wonderful, but it plays great. It's a frickin RPG with fun battles! Add to it a half-decent story and chracters I'll grow to love and... I can't afford this!

LittleBIGplanet is a for-sure, along with Fallout 3. Now Dead Space is getting wicked reviews, I'm dying to get Bioshock, and Mirror's Edge is November 11! Then it's bloody Prince of Persia in December... I can't afford for Valkyria Chronicles to be pretty and fun!

It's all so wonderful and awful! 7 games within 2 months? Game over, man. Game over.

Do you hear that high-pitched sound, carrying on the night wind? That's my wallet.

Screaming.

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
    edited October 2008
    Chance wrote: »
    Goddamnit, it's good! It's really good! I mean, we all knew the art style was wonderful, but it plays great. It's a frickin RPG with fun battles! Add to it a half-decent story and chracters I'll grow to love and... I can't afford this!

LittleBIGplanet is a for-sure, along with Fallout 3. Now Dead Space is getting wicked reviews, I'm dying to get Bioshock, and Mirror's Edge is November 11! Then it's bloody Prince of Persia in December... I can't afford for Valkyria Chronicles to be pretty and fun!

It's all so wonderful and awful! 7 games within 2 months? Game over, man. Game over.

Do you hear that high-pitched sound, carrying on the night wind? That's my wallet.

Screaming.

I'm picking up LBP, Valkyria, Mirror's Edge, Resistance 2 and PoP but if I could only afford a couple of them, I'd probably just go with LBP and Valkyria. As much as I want to get the others, I'm pretty sure those two are going to be my GOTY contenders (alongside MGS4).

Unco-ordinated on
    edited October 2008
    I know... this may have just edged out Bioshock. But we'll see - I've got both demos now, and if I play the hell out of 'em both I may be able to come up with a decision.

Chance on
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Downloading demo now...

Thanks for the tip, guys.

Renzo on
    edited October 2008
    Yeah Valkyria, LBP and Rock Band 2 are my must buys... I also put in a preorder for Resistance 2 from Amazon back when it had the $10 gift card offer, but I may have to cancel it it because I also really want Dead Space, SOCOM, Guitar Hero WT and Left 4 Dead (pc). I can't afford all this shit. This doesn't even include my PSN wants and my second string games. Its so messed up they release all this crap now, its going to take some serious self control not to go bankrupt.

And thanks for the Euro address Unco-ordinated... you saved me some time and effort. :)

greeble on

edited October 2008
    I think I'm grabbing this instead of Fallout 3 even though Fallout looks to be absolutely sublime. Then again, I do prefer JRPGs over the western variety, but damn, I am taking a serious beating this holiday season, it's even worse than last year.

geestack on
    edited October 2008
    Yeah, so... I love Rosie. Discuss.

Chance on
    edited October 2008
    Damn I suck at this. I don't like attacking from long range (seeing how big the reticule is), so I keep trying to get close and shoot them in the face.

Yeah long range only works with the dark-haired Sniper femme. 'Course if you even try to get within 50 yards with her, she'll eat it anyway. I did manage to get some good kills with her on my 2nd playthrough, though.

Also - I found out how to look into people's Potentials like Helix said. When it's your turn to move your peeps around, before you select who you want to move, press Square. Then select your person, then press triangle. Then press R1 to cycle through the pages 'till you get to their potentials, and press triangle again. Now you can see what their potentials are and what they do.

Chance on
  • ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Rosie and Coby kicked ass on my first playthrough.

Reznik on
    Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
    edited October 2008
    Rosie is the sex, the VA does a good job. The sniper chick isn't bad either.

geestack on
  • scootchscootch Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Chance wrote: »
    I know... this may have just edged out Bioshock. But we'll see - I've got both demos now, and if I play the hell out of 'em both I may be able to come up with a decision.

I was very impressed with bioshock. I wish it was cheaper so I can justify buying another version of bioshock.

the game was so freakin cool on the big screen tv.

scootch on
    TF2 stats
    PSN: super_emu
    Xbox360 Gamertag: Emuchop
  • UltrachristUltrachrist Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Rosie was probably my favorite character too.

I didn't get to use the sniper on account of her instantly being killed.

Ultrachrist on
    ultrachrist2.png
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Well hell, that was really fun.

I like how your characters fire on the enemy during the enemy phase. It's possible to totally shut down the enemy before they have a chance to fire.

Renzo on
  • ze swift classze swift class Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Played this for a few hours. It's incredibly fun, and I feel really bad about how terrible it will sell because not very many people know about it.

This game definitely needs more hype.

ze swift class on
    edited October 2008
    Played this for a few hours. It's incredibly fun, and I feel really bad about how terrible it will sell because not very many people know about it.

This game definitely needs more hype.

Agreed.

I finally managed to get my whole crew through without a death! Maybe that's small potatoes to folks who've been playing Disgaea or FFT for years, but for a non-RPGer like me it's very satisfying!

For the most part I just took things real slow, and let Marina really shine - I barely used my sweet Rosie at all. Towards the end of the battle, I had Marina behind the sandbags that the enemy's rocket trooper starts out at. The enemy had one solier left - a scout that had come in as reinforcements at their flag, across the bridge (a long way off). I run the engineer out to Marina for ammo, then I switch to her, stand up, move forward about ten feet and take aim.

All she can see through the scope is the dude's head, peeking above a rise in the ground. Boom. Headshot.

Chance on
    edited October 2008
    Rosie was probably my favorite character too.

I didn't get to use the sniper on account of her instantly being killed.

Really? I used her all the time, I kept her on top of the hill, would run forward a bit, shoot (which'd one shot kill scouts and machine gunners) and then run her back behind the hill.

Unco-ordinated on
    edited October 2008
    When I played I destroyed everything with the tank. I just rolled him in, used 3 turns to shoot at the other tank, and used a lancer to finish it off. Then during enemy phase 1/2 of them shot at tank for no damage and the other half ran out and got shot to shit with the machine gun. My sniper died instantly because I moved her in too close. And rosie and the other assault character mopped up.

greeble on

edited October 2008
    greeble wrote: »
    When I played I destroyed everything with the tank. I just rolled him in, used 3 turns to shoot at the other tank, and used a lancer to finish it off. Then during enemy phase 1/2 of them shot at tank for no damage and the other half ran out and got shot to shit with the machine gun. My sniper died instantly because I moved her in too close. And rosie and the other assault character mopped up.

It's weird how the enemy doesn't even bother to move units twice in a turn. I guess they just made it really easy for newcomers.

Why run your sniper in close though? She's got crazy aim (using the right analog stick to zoom in) so she can pretty much hit everyone. Standing on the hill, I killed the scout guarding the flag in a single shot.

I don't really want to play the demo any more than I already have, I'd rather just save myself for the full game. I'm going to make sure I recommend all my PS3 owning friends download it and give it a go though.

Unco-ordinated on
    edited October 2008
    We cannot let the Hype Train die! More people must know of Valkyria Chronicles! More, I say!

I was pokin' around the Gamespot forums and a fellow said he managed to get an A rating on the skirmish by completing it in one turn - that is, he hammered the enemy tank with his tank, and spent the rest of the AP sending Alicia around the battlefield. She just did a run-up face-meet-rifle, whipped to the flag = A rating.

Apparently though, enemies grant XP (shocker!), with certain enemies granting more than others - which can be found out by accessing the enemy's unit list during your combat phase. There's supposedly a little symbol beside the +xp enemies.

I intend to poke around some more and see what I can see...

Chance on
  • XenoXeno Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Yup, I finished the first battle in one turn. Not that hard actually. One units you should be moving are the tank and alicia.

Here's how I did it.

Select tank and move it as far as possible infront of the other tank. Use mortar and kill the shock trooper in one hit. Select alicia Have her move around at the top of the hill and stop just before the scout at the far end sees you and tries to shoot you. Move alicia again within grenade range, kill the scout with the grenade, then using the rest of your ap, keep moving to the beginning of the bridge. CP again and move as close as possible to the scout you should have enough to blast the last scout in the face from close range which should kill him. Last cp should give you just enough to capture the flag.

Done.

Xeno on
    edited October 2008
    Xeno wrote: »
    Only units you should be moving are the tank and alicia.

;____; but i love everyone

Anyways, in all honestly, this game should be delayed.
    There's too many overshadowing titles coming in the near future, I fear for this game's sales :<

AggroChan on
  • XenoXeno Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Honestly, I REALLY don't like it that you're rewarded by zooming through the level. If I kill everyone/keep my guys alive, I should get more points than someone who captures the flag in one turn. Fehhh.

When I play my SRPG's like Disgaea or tactics, I like doing the slow push. Move a guy here, take cover, wait for the enemy, etc. Apparently doing this gets you a D...........I know you can still do it if you want to, but you aren't rewarded for it which sucks.

Xeno on
    edited October 2008
    Actually I did a balanced run earlier, and I believe I got more XP than if I had just blitzed it with Alicia. I'll do some comparison runs tonight with a pad & paper and see what gets you what. It wouldn't surprise me if you get greater reward for taking out all the enemies with six turns than simply snagging the flag in one.

Chance on