As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Valkyria Chronicles hype thread - Very, very simply one of the best games this year

• Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    The "Potentials" can also be bad, for anyone who didn't run into this.

At least one of the characters has allergies or something like that, and taking her into a field triggered them (although I forget the effect)

Vincent Grayson on
  • ErgandarErgandar Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    It's undoubtedly been mentioned before, but the voice acting in this game must be superb.

Ergandar on
    RachelSig.jpg
  • ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

At least one of the characters has allergies or something like that, and taking her into a field triggered them (although I forget the effect)

Yep, Marina.

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • UltrachristUltrachrist Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Yeah the sniper has allergies and she also has "lone wolf" which decreases her evasion if she is near the group.

Ultrachrist on
    ultrachrist2.png
    edited October 2008
    Xeno wrote: »
    Honestly, I REALLY don't like it that you're rewarded by zooming through the level. If I kill everyone/keep my guys alive, I should get more points than someone who captures the flag in one turn. Fehhh.

When I play my SRPG's like Disgaea or tactics, I like doing the slow push. Move a guy here, take cover, wait for the enemy, etc. Apparently doing this gets you a D...........I know you can still do it if you want to, but you aren't rewarded for it which sucks.

Okay, I said I'd test around with this earlier, and the results are kinda' interesting... If you actually wanna' see the numbers, here it is all simplified, spoiler'd for size:
    3 turns
    all enemies killed
    Rank C : 1920 xp - 1600 dct

2 turns
    all enemies killed
    Rank B : 2200 xp - 1800 dct

1 turn
    1 kill
    Rank A : 1680 xp - 1200 dct

1 turn
    2 kills
    All units deployed
    Rank A : 1930 xp - 1450 dct

1 turn
    2 kills
    2 units deployed (Alicia & Welkin)
    Rank A : 1930 xp - 1450 dct

1 turn
    2 kills
    3 units deployed (Alicia, Welkin & Wavy)
    1 loss (Wavy)
    Rank A : 1930 - 1450 dct

1 turn
    4 kills (closest Scout, Scout guarding bridge, Scout guarding flag, and the tank)
    5 units deployed (Largo, Alicia, Wavy & Welkin)
    Rank A : 2480 xp - 2000 dct.

So clearly, blitzing Alicia around the level won't net you the greatest reward, but neither does inching through it. It's entirely possible to clear out the entire level in 2 turns, netting you a very respectable 2200xp and 1800 dct (whatever dct is - money I guess?). Here's what you need to know:

-losing a unit costs you nothing. You'll lose no xp, no dct because one of your solidiers fell.

-there is no penalty or reward for deploying a certain number of soldiers. If you go in with 9 soldiers and kill 2 enemies, you'll receive the same reward you would if you killed 2 enemies with 2 soldiers.

-rank is based entirely on how many turns it takes you to clear the battlefield (old news). 1 turn = A, 2 = B and so on.

-a higher rank grants you a higher xp/dct bonus, but it's not the only factor in your reward.

-only certain enemies grant xp/dct. Here's the biggie. There are only 3 enemies in the skirmish that actually provide you with xp - (if up is north on your map) the Scout at the north of the map, the tank, and the Scout guarding the bridge to the flag. All other soldiers are meaningless, apart from being in your way.

-you can identify these enemies by pressing square before you select your next unit to move. Then press R1 to flip the page to look at the enemy's roster. The units with gold medals next to their pictures are 'leader' units which grant XP. The tank is unmarked, so I can only assume all tanks grant XP.

2480 xp and 2000dct can be achieved with only Wavy, Largo and Alicia deployed. First I moved Welkin to block the machine gunners line-of-sight towards the north, where Wavy would be headed. I fired one round into the enemy tank's cockpit.

Then I sent out Largo to the sandbags nearest to the tank. With quick reflexes, he can fire off two rockets into the tank before its machinegun fire cuts him down. Tank = tons of xp.

Then Wavy heads out to the northmost 'leader' Scout. He doesn't actually have to get too close - just close enough to lob a grenade, which will 1-shot a Scout.

Then, with 2 command points left, it's Alicia's turn to head for the bridge. One turn to get to the 'leader' scout guarding the bridge - grenade. One turn to get to the flag, and put some rounds into the head of the Scout guarding it.

That's it. One turn, both leaders and the tank - max xp and dct.

Chance on
  • AggroChanAggroChan __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2008
    Basically I lol'd when you started rolling the tank out and the driver just exclaims "I love nature." while driving a death machine. :lol:

AggroChan on
    PSN + Zune :>
    Sillender.jpgSillender.png
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Hahaha, that was awesome.

Renzo on
  • darksteeldarksteel Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I've had eyes on this game since this summer, but I am never going to be able to get it since it's on the PS3 and I have absolutely no money for one. :(

From gameplay videos though, I definitely like it. It's certainly borrowing a lot of principles from Western tactical games (primarily Jagged Alliance and X-COM), which can only be good. I'm seeing an action point-based move system, overwatch, cover, fields of fire, basically all the things a tactical game needs to make a fire-and-maneuver system. I don't know if suppression and pinning effects are modeled though.

Also, I like that they're being realistic with the tanks being unstoppable juggernauts. Does armor facing factor in damage? Is there an allowance for engine damage, turret damage, running gear damage, or crew morale (shaken/stunned)?

darksteel on
    shikisig6-1.jpg
  • HaikiraHaikira UKRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Ok, this is day one for me. I really wasn't paying attention to this one. I mean i've heard the name around and seen a few screenshots, but i just filed it in a "not my cup of tea" category. But the demo really sold me on this for sure.

I'm also surprised as hell this is hitting UK before America.

Haikira on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN:Hakira__
  • ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    darksteel wrote: »

Also, I like that they're being realistic with the tanks being unstoppable juggernauts. Does armor facing factor in damage? Is there an allowance for engine damage, turret damage, running gear damage, or crew morale (shaken/stunned)?

From what I've seen, tanks have seperate HP for body and treads, but that seems to be about it. You can stop it from moving but it's better to just target the body anyway.

Reznik on
    Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Reznik wrote: »

From what I've seen, tanks have seperate HP for body and treads, but that seems to be about it. You can stop it from moving but it's better to just target the body anyway.

Yeah the tanks are handled well. The "radiator" weak spot in the back is a good compromise. Also Unco, the reason I ran my sniper in too close was I didn't know how far the enemy range was yet, and I didn't know how to zoom. :P

Yeah Its pretty sad that this game will probably get burried under all the "bigger" holiday releases. I'm guessing most folks don't really pay attention because its a ps3 exclusive (smallest group) but doesn't have a big ass marketing push behind it ala LBP and isn't a franchise ala Disegea. (Also lets be honest SEGA hasn't had too many awesome games lately.)

greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
    edited October 2008
    Reznik wrote: »

Yeah, thought as much. It's totally fine though. The fact that the game is taking mechanics from Western Tactical RPGs, which are little known in tactical RPG circles, is good enough for me.

So what's with the WWII vibe the game has? Is it supposed to be loosely based on the German invasion of the Netherlands? I kinda like it but am weirded out at the same time. It's a strange feeling.

darksteel on
    shikisig6-1.jpg
    edited October 2008
    So what's with the WWII vibe the game has? Is it supposed to be loosely based on the German invasion of the Netherlands? I kinda like it but am weirded out at the same time. It's a strange feeling.

In an interview I read (I think it was 1up) with the game's creative head / driving force, apparently they chose to go with a WWII theme was because it was the last war where there was an actual sense of an individual solider having a great impact on battles - which is somewhat true. Since WWII there's never really been a War (unless you wanna' count Vietnam) where it was man vs. man on the ground.

He also said this gives them opportunity to take inspiration from many well-known battles, and reference them in the game (not directly. There is no D-Day in Valkyria Chronicles, though there is a beach landing, which is a clear reference to it.)

Also, I don't think it's "our" Europe. It's 'Europa', and there are clear deviations from history (the magical item characters use to heal themselves, and the fact that apparently the 'Valkyria' of the title is in fact a Valkyrie - a magical being thought lost from this world who shows up to aid one of the sides of the war - no doubt she's the glowing blue lady from the trailers).

I think they hit the vibe they were going for - familiar, yet fantastical.

Chance on
  • CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    So the LBP demo ending finally freed me up long enough to download this via a Euro account (stupid Qore).

Simply awesome (as expected). Now I have to find some time to actually play it come November.

It saddens me that they decided to release the game this fall (in a season so packed to the gills with AAA releases). I fear this game is going to fall through the cracks when it really should deserve a lot more attention.

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • The Reverend Dr GalactusThe Reverend Dr Galactus Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Ok, Chance, your cross-pollution in the LBP thread has convinced me to make a euro account. :P

I know the feeling; I could sense it from your posts; in them I saw myself years ago doggedly trying to spread the word about Anachronox... When a game has that something, that indescribable greatness that isn't obvious from the outside, and you just have to tell people.

The Reverend Dr Galactus on
    valar-moreshellus.png
    PSN:RevDrGalactus/NN:RevDrGalactus/Steam
    edited October 2008
    Ok, Chance, your cross-pollution in the LBP thread has convinced me to make a euro account. :P

I know the feeling; I could sense it from your posts; in them I saw myself years ago doggedly trying to spread the word about Anachronox... When a game has that something, that indescribable greatness that isn't obvious from the outside, and you just have to tell people.

Success! And with this merest hint of positive reinforcement, I shall continue my intrusive pimping of this game 'till November!

Chance on
    edited October 2008
    Okay, I have a friend that I haven't talked to in two years, and I know he has a PS3. I am seriously considering calling him up, and just getting back in touch with him, just so I can borrow his PS3 in November for Valkyria Chronicles. Is this plan good or not?

darksteel on
    shikisig6-1.jpg
    edited October 2008
    Okay, I have a friend that I haven't talked to in two years, and I know he has a PS3. I am seriously considering calling him up, and just getting back in touch with him, just so I can borrow his PS3 in November for Valkyria Chronicles.

Well, from the perspective of someone trying to give good, worldly advice? No - it's been two years, and I wouldn't loan my PS3 to my own brother, nevermind a guy I haven't talked to since '06.

From the perspective of a ravenous, potentially dangerous gamer, on the other hand - is there a way to get between him and his PS3, with some sort of weapon that would make asking a lot easier? The demo has convinced me that magical hand grenades are very persuasive.

Edit: it is just one game. I'm not sure any single game is worth getting a system for - but this game may well be the first great JRPG on the PS3. If you want a PS3 and Uncharted, MGS, LBP and this doesn't convince you... stick with your 360.

Chance on
    edited October 2008
    Chance wrote: »
    Okay, I have a friend that I haven't talked to in two years, and I know he has a PS3. I am seriously considering calling him up, and just getting back in touch with him, just so I can borrow his PS3 in November for Valkyria Chronicles.

Well, from the perspective of someone trying to give good, worldly advice? No - it's been two years, and I wouldn't loan my PS3 to my own brother, nevermind a guy I haven't talked to since '06.

From the perspective of a ravenous, potentially dangerous gamer, on the other hand - is there a way to get between him and his PS3, with some sort of weapon that would make asking a lot easier? The demo has convinced me that magical hand grenades are very persuasive.

Nah, it was just a joke, and we were planning to get together with some other friends next week anyway, so I'll suggest the game to him, if he doesn't know about it already.
    Edit: it is just one game. I'm not sure any single game is worth getting a system for - but this game may well be the first great JRPG on the PS3. If you want a PS3 and Uncharted, MGS, LBP and this doesn't convince you... stick with your 360.

This thread is actually pretty timely because my 360 just broke down, and I'm about to sell my 360 games to get a new video card. This game, and you, have just persuaded me to get a PS3 instead. Congrats!

darksteel on
    shikisig6-1.jpg
    edited October 2008
    (rubs hands together menacingly!)

Muahahahahahah! Two down! I don't think you'll regret it. My PS3's been very good to me. Also, Siren: Blood Curse.

Pleh... top-of-page post >.<

Chance on
  • CrashmoCrashmo Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Boooo!

Get off the stage!

I finally tried this demo out. It pretty much has everything I could ever want from a game.

Crashmo on
    polar-bearsig.jpg
    edited October 2008
    Now that your eyes have been opened, you must spread the gospel to the heathens.

Chance on
  • CrashmoCrashmo Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Now that your eyes have been opened, you must spread the gospel to the heathens.

It took me 30 minutes to finish the tutorial because I couldn't stop having joy spasms and telling everyone I knew how amazing the game was. :P

Crashmo on
    polar-bearsig.jpg
    edited October 2008
    Crashmo wrote: »

It took me 30 minutes to finish the tutorial because I couldn't stop having joy spasms and telling everyone I knew how amazing the game was. :P

(tents fingers)

Excellent.

Chance on
    edited October 2008
    OK Chance, your (well placed) radical fanaticism over this game has inspired me to ramp my own hype meter up a bit. New sig should help spread the word :winky:

valkyriasiginvasionct2.jpg

CarbonFire on
  • Chrono HelixChrono Helix Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I was so lonely when I made this thread back in March. Finally I've got some company. Also, I'm using that sig.

Chrono Helix on
    edited October 2008
    I was so lonely when I made this thread back in March. Finally I've got some company. Also, I'm using that sig.

I may crank out more sigs tomorrow if I get the chance. I dug through a couple of trailers / screenshots and picked out some sig-worthy material. We'll see...

CarbonFire on
  • NickTheNewbieNickTheNewbie Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    So what is this qore thing? How do i get the demo through it, and is it worth it?

NickTheNewbie on
    edited October 2008
    So what is this qore thing? How do i get the demo through it, and is it worth it?

Qore is the only way to get the demo if you've got a North American PSN account (Qore costs $2.99 per "issue"). Luckily, it's trivially easy to set up a European PSN account and download the demo for free.

And yes, it is worth it. Especially if you like RPGs or Strategy games.

CarbonFire on
    edited October 2008
    There's something about the character designs in this game that really appeals to me. Maybe it's because they mixed traditional looking Dutch/Germanic clothes with a military aesthetic. I don't know, it just looks really great. And seeing Alicia learning to fire a rifle in one of the trailers is just so...cute.

Oh God, what's happening to me? D:

Also, I took a peek over on the official site, and noticed in the character bios that there are at least two characters that belong to a race in the game that are openly persecuted. I can only assume this is their vague reference to Jews. Kind of strange, but it's nice that they included it.

darksteel on
    shikisig6-1.jpg
    edited October 2008
    I'm willing to whore out my sig to help hype this game, this game needs more attention. Only problem is I suck at photoshop.

greeble on

I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
    edited October 2008
    greeble wrote: »
    I'm willing to whore out my sig to help hype this game, this game needs more attention. Only problem is I suck at photoshop.

I am fucking on it.

Edit: tell me if there's anything particular you want in it.

Chance on
  • RakaiRakai Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    What's the quality of the art book that you get with the Gamestop preorder. Are there any photos floating around yet?

Rakai on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]XBL: Rakayn | PS3: Rakayn | Steam ID
    edited October 2008
    Rakai wrote: »
    What's the quality of the art book that you get with the Gamestop preorder. Are there any photos floating around yet?

I'm curious about that myself - I figure I'll preorder anyway, but I wonder if we'll get the book up in Canuckia.

Chance on
    edited October 2008
    Any old sig will do. I can even use your sig if you just change the wording or font or something so it doesn't look like I ripped you off.

greeble on

edited October 2008
    greeble wrote: »
    Any old sig will do. I can even use your sig if you just change the wording or font or something so it doesn't look like I ripped you off.

In that case I'll make like a half-dozen. I finally got ye olde copy of CorelPaint!4 up and running, so we'll see if I still got the knack.

Edit: Garrr I got it up and installed, but turns out internet advice groups say Corel 4 simply will not run on Windows XP. So it's back to ye olde Windows Paint for low-quality affairs. Better than nothin'.

Fanboy awayyyyyy..!

Chance on
  • fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Never posted, but I have this thread to thank for turning me on to VC many months ago, this is very much day1'd.

fadingathedges on
  • ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    vc1.jpg
    vc2.jpg
    vc3.jpg
    vc4.jpg

bored today. use 'em if you like.

Reznik on
    Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • HaikiraHaikira UKRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008

Any word on art book deals for the uk?

Haikira on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN:Hakira__
    edited October 2008
    Thanks Reznik I'll use this one for now.

greeble on