As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

What's in a name? Your name, baby names, terrible names, awesome ones

• DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    My name is probably easy to ascertain ;)

"Derrick" comes from "Theodoric" which means, basically "King" (as he was one).

My last name means "Protector (of the people)"

And my middle name means "Red" basically.

Thus, my name means "The Red King. Protector of the People."

And no, my parents had no idea that's what it meant and it would probably shock them if I told them. Etymology is a hobby of mine.

Derrick on
    Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Edward means Happy Protector, and though I share my name with a great many kings and other notables, I was actually named after Edward the Engine in Thomas the Tank Engine.

I love my name. Edward is at once stately and dignified but can be changed into eddy and ed, which are less formal and more friendly. It's a flexible name that's still sort of rare.

Casual Eddy on
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Naming characters for writing or roleplaying is always one of the hardest things for me.

i love babynames.com though. it's fantastic in those tough situations.

my favorite character that i'm writing for now is named Maisie. I just love that name.

I tend to use a lot of foreign words, or at least foreign sounding, words for names though.

Like my nickname Ahava, is actually a Hebrew verb "to love".

But i've come up with lots of names over the years that just... sound right.. ya know?

lonelyahava on
  • ShinyoShinyo Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    My first name is Greg, and according to my mother I was named after Greg Brady, from the Brady Bunch.
    Very ugh.
    My middle name is James, and it's been a tradition for every male in the family to have that as a middle name. So my father, three uncles, all my male cousins, grandfather and great grandfather all have the same middle name. I like it that way though.

My last name was a generic 'American' name that was given to my ancestor when he came to Ellis Island from Germany. I don't recall what the original name was though.

Shinyo on
  • VladimerVladimer Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    at first I thought my name was just what my dad thought sounded right, and then the middle name being tradition.

first name: jason

middle: lamar

while the middle name is a tradition (although a bit of an oddball, usually the tradition is the first name is lamar) the name generally translates (according to most sources) as "Healer of the Sea"

yeah, my dad's a mariner

edit: I've also thought of just being called by my middle name, but it never seems to stick

Vladimer on
  • The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    My name is Stephen Conway, everyone calls me conway.

I went to a new school, only one persn knowing me, and within 3 days I was "Conway", not stephen.

I go to parties and introduce myself, and my friends call me over, the next time I see the person I introduced myself to I am conway.

Then I was in a group of friends, and someone called me stephen, people asked why they called me that, then freaked the fuck out when they realised it was my name.

The Black Hunter on
  • SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Am I the only one who hates the notion of passing names down to future generations? To me, that is how terrible names get perpetuated on innocent children.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    My name is Matthew like every other motherfucker. I met a guy at a party once who was Mathew with one T because his dad spelled it wrong on the birth certificate. True fact.

My last name seems simple, but it's one of those tricky names that sound like they're spelled phonetically but aren't. It's a bitch.

My son, if he ever exists, will probably be called Dylan, after Bob, Thomas and Moran,

Crimson King on
  • The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Gonna call my boy John

Little johnny conway

The Black Hunter on
  • revolutionary beanrevolutionary bean Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Butch.

"I'm American, honey. Our names don't mean shit."

revolutionary bean on
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Butch.

Butch does mean something, though. It has a definition at least.

KalTorak on
  • revolutionary beanrevolutionary bean Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    KalTorak wrote: »
    Butch.

Butch does mean something, though. It has a definition at least.

Why you gotta spoil the movie for me huh?

revolutionary bean on
  • GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Invisible wrote: »
    If I ever have kids and they happen to be boys, Alexander and Maximilian. I don't know why, but I've always liked those names.
    I can't wait until he becomes a supervillain.
    No matter what, though, my first kid is getting the middle name "Bloodaxe"

I got stuck with Forrest. They will get something kickass.
    I'm calling my future son Killfuck Soulshitter. None of you can get it now. Consider it off the market. It will make a scene at his graduation ceremonies. Second son will be Rasputin Damocles.

For a girl, I'm looking at Sarah. I don't know why... I've just always liked that name. It's simple, but kind of calming in a way. It's common, but I don't care. Middle name will be Nynaeve. She will cross her arms under her breasts and sniff a lot.

GungHo on
  • Mullitt The WiseMullitt The Wise Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    My name is Matthew like every other motherfucker. I met a guy at a party once who was Mathew with one T because his dad spelled it wrong on the birth certificate. True fact.
    I had to re-get my birth certificate (my grandma lost my original one) and they did this to me. So now on my Driver's License it says Mathew.

Mullitt The Wise on
    balloonssig.jpg
  • AlexanderAlexander Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    My name is Alexander George Lucas, I like my name, I also like star wars, but not obsessively.

Alexander means Protector of man. If there was a kind on the end of that man I would take a guess that I was in for an epic adventure.

If I were to have kids I would name a boy Robin Lucas and a girl Grace Lucas as I like them.

Alexander on
  • Tucanwarrior13Tucanwarrior13 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Mark Gerard Bennett Jr.

I like it. It's simple, and not too crazy. My parents did a good job. Though being a Jr. has been kind of dumb at times.

Scenario: "Mark"
    "What?"
    "Not you. Mark!"
    "WHAT!"
    "NOT YOU!"

Tucanwarrior13 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Yeah, I'm a Mike, and I'm fairly confident my first little one is gonna get that name for traditions sake (I come from a very.... very long line of Mikes, although the middle name's changed a few times so I'll probably do that as well). After that all bets are off, but I don't think I'll be consulting anyone in my family, as all my cousins and my half-brother have had bazillions of kids and all given them names that don't really appeal to me: Brody, Riley, Casey, Sierra, Ebony, Hayden (a boy, not like the hot actress although I'm unsure of the spelling), Summer, and Autumn. I know there are more of them, but I haven't seen them in years.

The only girl name I can think of that I like is Jane, although I dislike Janet, and none of that damn y business. By the time I get around to spawning, which is in the very distant future, I'll probably have completely changed my mind up about all of this, but right now, I'm thinking Michael Joseph III and Jane Elizabeth.

TehSloth on
    FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Sir Lollington the 3rdSir Lollington the 3rd Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    GungHo wrote: »
    Invisible wrote: »
    If I ever have kids and they happen to be boys, Alexander and Maximilian. I don't know why, but I've always liked those names.
    I can't wait until he becomes a supervillain.
    All I can think of when I see that name is this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L00GOuUArxY

Sir Lollington the 3rd on
  • MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2008
    My bro has my dad's first name as his middle name

I think this is a good way to go

Medopine on
  • SpeakerSpeaker Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I'm tossing around John (Jack) Otis Bates if the baby is a boy.

Speaker on
  • Tucanwarrior13Tucanwarrior13 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Medopine wrote: »

Eh. I personally dislike that at times. I'm a jr. and can say that it's either confusing, or embarassing when it wants to be.

Tucanwarrior13 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

I have my dad's first name as my middle name.

I am eh on it.

Elendil on
  • WetsunWetsun Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Girl: Clara Avenly ____
    Boy: Adin James ____

Or maybe Adeline Claire ____ for a girl.

I don't know. These have all come up in random conversations with the fiancee.

Wetsun on
    XBL/Steam: Wetsun
  • CoJoeTheLawyerCoJoeTheLawyer Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    In naming our twins girls, we went with Scarlet (spelled like the color, not the name) Elizabeth and Madeleine Joy. We didn't want anything too popular (we origionally wanted madaline, but that's was gaining in popularity) and we wanted soemthing that was easy to remember.

CoJoeTheLawyer on

CoJoe.png
  • AlyceInWonderlandAlyceInWonderland Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    My first, middle and last names are all first names. So, when a teacher is calling roll for the first time, "Alyce Andrea Mark" often turns into "Mark Alyce? Is Mark Alyce Present?"
    I used to not like my name, as the "Y" threw off EVERYBODY (It's pronounced Alice, not Aleese), and I'd always have someone calling me Allison, or Ellis, or something absurd.

Also, I hate it when people call me by my last name. Cause then I end up with a dudes name.

But lately it's been growing on me, because I recently found out that my parents named me "Alyce Andrea" because if you say it together it sounds like Alexandria....which I think is badass.

For the names I wanna give my kids I was thinking:

Girl:
    Sabriel
    Lucy
    Tea (With an accent over the top of the 'a', so it's pronounced "tee-uh")

Boy:
    Holden (After Catcher in the Rye)
    Jack (though, I duno, cause my grandpa is named that, and he's an asshole)
    Grady (just heard it in this thread. Fuck yes)

My boyfriends name is Peter Haas. Haas is German for "rabbit" or "hare".....so basically his name is Peter Rabbit. Fucking love it!

AlyceInWonderland on
  • SalSal Damnedest Little Fellow Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    If Daniel is such a popular name, why do people keep mistaking me for a David? It's infuriating, is what it is.

Anyway, for sons I am thinking of something like Constantin, Alexei, Ivan, or something of that nature. No idea about daughters.

Sal on
    xet8c.gif

• the Togfatherthe Togfather Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    If our baby (here in nine days...crap!) is a boy we're doing the my-first-name-as-middle-name thing and going with:

Miles Matthew

If it's a girl:

Nora Mae

the Togfather on
    The night is dark and full of terrors.
    twit feed
  • MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2008

Eh. I personally dislike that at times. I'm a jr. and can say that it's either confusing, or embarassing when it wants to be.

I think you very much misread what I wrote :P

My dad: Richard Scott

My bro: Wesley Richard

Medopine on
  • Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    also if I had been a girl I would have been named Imogen (not sure on the spelling actually) Graham.

I think that would have been nifty

Casual Eddy on
  • ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2008
    My first, middle and last names are all first names. So, when a teacher is calling roll for the first time, "Alyce Andrea Mark" often turns into "Mark Alyce? Is Mark Alyce Present?"
    I used to not like my name, as the "Y" threw off EVERYBODY (It's pronounced Alice, not Aleese), and I'd always have someone calling me Allison, or Ellis, or something absurd.

Also, I hate it when people call me by my last name. Cause then I end up with a dudes name.

But lately it's been growing on me, because I recently found out that my parents named me "Alyce Andrea" because if you say it together it sounds like Alexandria....which I think is badass.

For the names I wanna give my kids I was thinking:

Girl:
    Sabriel
    Lucy
    Tea (With an accent over the top of the 'a', so it's pronounced "tee-uh")

Boy:
    Holden (After Catcher in the Rye)
    Jack (though, I duno, cause my grandpa is named that, and he's an asshole)
    Grady (just heard it in this thread. Fuck yes)

My boyfriends name is Peter Haas. Haas is German for "rabbit" or "hare".....so basically his name is Peter Rabbit. Fucking love it!

Will her middle name be Time, pronounce TIM-eh.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I have my father's name as my middle name - sort of. My mother decided that there were to damn many Johns in my family, so she would at least make mine spelled Jon. My first name (Nathaniel) was just popular at the time that I was born.

My son is Lucas Henry - the Henry was my wife's grandfather who helped raise her - the Lucas because I am a big fat nerd and wanted to say "Luke I am your father".

Lindsay Lohan on
  • jeddy leejeddy lee Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I have always liked the name Hawken for a boy, when I was a guitar teacher, one of my students was named that. I also like Paul... it's so... modest I guess, but powerful. Like Alex. I like William, but none of the nicknames for it. I also like Martin, but somewhere deep down if I named my child Martin, I would not be able to convince myself that I did not name my child after a sword brandishing mouse.

Also, I love Terra. Initially for FFvi connotations, but also because the name and meaning are both beautiful.

jeddy lee on
    Backlog Challenge: 0%
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3

DS
    FF: 4 heroes of light
  • caradrayancaradrayan Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    My First name is Generic but not depressingly common. Also, it flows into my middle name.

Dustin James rolls well enough for me. My surname is unpronouncable by anyone that has seen it spelled.

If I have a daughter, Dawn is at the top of my list. There are dozens of other girls names that I like too though.

Girls names always creep into male territory, and it never goes the other way. This bothers me, so if I have a son, I might try to reverse that. Maybe Madison.

Male Jordans, stand fast!

If I'm feeling less cruel, I might give them an exotic name, which is another way girls outshine boys. Maybe Quintile or Epsilon.

caradrayan on
  • RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I'm going with Edward for a boy, Elizabeth for a girl.

I really hate modern naming trends; e.g naming after a place or season, they're so dreadful.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • PetitePetite Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    caradrayan wrote: »
    This bothers me, so if I have a son, I might try to reverse that. Maybe Madison.

I'll pray for him.

Petite on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    caradrayan wrote: »
    My First name is Generic

That settles it. If I have twins I'm naming them Specific and Generic.

Shadowen on
  • JesuitsJesuits Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I'm neutral on my first name Matthew, bordering on dislike. Randall is my middle name, which I do like. Unfortunately, this makes my initials MRS. Oh, well!

For my hypothetical children:

First child: Victor/ia
    Second child: Dominic/Lucia

Probably just one, though.

Jesuits on
    tf2_sig.png
  • PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Toldo wrote: »
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    I used to run a canvass office in Philadelphia. We hired for short time work, so we were doing interviews constantly. I saw all sorts of crazy names come through.

Personal favorite: Saf-aye-en-aye
    spelled: Caffeine

My wife is a med student. Apparently there are horror stories about mothers trying to name their kids with words they see on the charts, most notable "miconium."
    Baby's first poo.

I can relate to that last one. A woman gave birth to twins, and found their names on the hospital food list: Lemonjello [luh-MON-jello] and Orangejello [uh-RON-jello].

This is a very old, very annoying joke.

That I referenced on page 1.
    Elendil wrote: »
    Saying Tesla was an electrician seems a bit like saying Beethoven noodled around on a piano

would you say that beethoven is not a pianist

I would say Beethoven is a corpse.

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • sainsain Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    My first name is Jonathan, people generally call me by my last name, Choby.

I like Isaac, Oliver, Roland and Silas for boys (Thanks, weeds)
    Ariana, Sophie, Abbey, and Lydia for girls.

sain on
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited October 2008
    so recently I decided that Liam is a badass name and that, as such, I should have a son and name him that.

however, in the big picture, I only kinda want to have kids and even then I'd much rather have a daughter.

So I decided that I'm just gonna name my next dog Liam and in the unfortunate case that I have a son at some point in the future, I'd name him after the dog.

I've been told that Liam is a contraction of William. I guess as in wilLIAM.

I've considered going by it, but honestly I'm not Irish enough.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png