As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Guitar Hero: God damnit, Metallica

• lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Even tho I'm a Rock Band lover (can't wait till the 19th! go PS3), I will probably get this for a handful of songs and for my "metal" loving friends (it's not my fault I don't get all that metal DLC...I learned my lesson with the Roadrunner pack).

I'm on the fence on the gear tho. I will pick a new guitar and a new drumset. I'm seriously gonna wait a month before purchasing anything; don't want to get stuff that'll need to be RMAd.

lionheart_m on
    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    I can't speak for GH:A, but the lower tier GH3 songs just weren't as fun either.
    It's almost a shame more people haven't just rented GH:A because "All The Young Dudes" is really fun and more people need to play it.

David_T on
    euj90n71sojo.png
  • noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I don't know..I think I can see both points. In a lot of songs, Rock Band just feels better for some reason. Like true to life.

At the same time, I guess I'm one of the few people(other than slash) that absolutely enjoyed Gh3 and it's note vomit. And it's not because I'm good, cause I'm not, but to me there was always something satisfying about nailing a solo in Gh3 that's harder to duplicate in Rock Band.

noir_blood on
  • lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Hmm...only note vomit I felt really like a rock god was Cult of Personality.

Rock Band did it better tho with the HOPO sequence after the solo in Disturbed's Inside the Fire.

lionheart_m on
    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Bass parts easy and boring? I'm assuming you haven't played anything by the Red Hot Chili Peppers, then. :P

The exceptions are very few and far between. Seriously, the vast majority of Bass parts in most songs, in GH2, GH3, GHA, and Rock Band, are absurdly easy and repetitive. And when they're not easy they're just repetitive, and still boring.

So like I said; anything they can add to spruce up the majority of boring Bass parts is a plus in my book. Even if it's a minor addition at least it's still something.

When I play Rock Band with friends, the Bass part gets the shaft. It's considered the part that we get stuck with while waiting to have a turn at any other part. Just do it just because it's there, and it's better than just sitting and watching. But man nobody ever jumps at the bit to take bass.

The only exception is of course the few songs where the notecharts aren't boring and repetitive, but by and large, Bass is really boring.

This is a problem we've had since Guitar Hero 2, and it's a problem in GH3 and GHA and in Rock Band. Bass sucks :P

slash000 on
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    It just hit me: Next year GH will add a 6th note/ string -- that will be Guitar Hero's "manual."

The drums and bass already have 6th notes, already dangerously pushing close to that point where human memory starts having issues (7-9 items stored in short-term memory). It makes sense that the guitar will evolve that way as well. Hm.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I just wish one of these damn band games would do Dethklok again. 'Course, not sure how the singing or the drum parts would go... (except completely awesome that is).

slash000 on
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Athenor wrote: »
    MH79 wrote: »
    I like the idea of sustaining one note and playing others over top of it, it could be an interesting mechanic. I'm thinking I'll be getting the Guitar Hero bundle and Rock Band on it's own.

All it is doing is forcing a mechanic you've been able to do since GH1. And to be frank, my mind doesn't work that way. I don't even know (to be honest) if you do that thing in real guitar playing all that often.

Now that you say that I'm trying to come up with some time I've done something like that (I play guitar). Hmm.

I'm not as worked up over the whole 'note vomit' thing people mention, I really didn't have much complaints about GH3, probably cuz I've only played GH2 approx. 3 times. So yeah, I'm looking forward to WT.

I like the concept of the mechanic. However, I think it's a way to make the game play multiple guitars at the same time and I sure as shit don't remember doing it like that in GH1.

I'm referring to how you could hold down a lower note while you played a higher one, and in fact needed to in order to do HO/PO's right.

Ah, I see. I only wish they would allow for holding a lower note whilst playing a chord. Some charts (both RB and GH) have sections that are unnecessarily complicated because I have to constantly lift my fingers to play 'correctly'.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • CarcharodontosaurusCarcharodontosaurus Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    So, I seek some more advice from Expert players. Having just beaten Before I Forget, I find myself stuck on the second solo in Cult of Personality. My problem is the sharply angled zigzagging HOPOs that I can't seem to consistently hit at full speed. In practice I can do it due to the slower speed, but at full speed I just can't process what's happening fast enough. I'm sure it'll come with time (I once thought I'd never beat Lou on Hard) but I get the feeling my technique is wrong. Beyond continuing to practice to get my fingers moving faster, is there any technique I might want to take a look at to get through the second solo of Cult of Personality?

Carcharodontosaurus on
    steam_sig.png
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    So, I seek some more advice from Expert players. Having just beaten Before I Forget, I find myself stuck on the second solo in Cult of Personality. My problem is the sharply angled zigzagging HOPOs that I can't seem to consistently hit at full speed. In practice I can do it due to the slower speed, but at full speed I just can't process what's happening fast enough. I'm sure it'll come with time (I once thought I'd never beat Lou on Hard) but I get the feeling my technique is wrong. Beyond continuing to practice to get my fingers moving faster, is there any technique I might want to take a look at to get through the second solo of Cult of Personality?

Without being able to see your playing technique, I'd suggest that you make sure you aren't holding the neck in a 'grip of death'. You'll really want a good deal of mobility in your fingers for that bit. I, myself, can't 100% that solo, but I can probably get 85-90% using just the correct HOPO technique.

Other than that, it will come down to 'practice, practice, practice'. The Cult of Personality solos aren't as bad as some are lead to believe.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • glithertglithert Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Pull Me Under looks pretty underwhelming to be the final song

glithert on
  • David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    glithert wrote: »
    Pull Me Under looks pretty underwhelming to be the final song

Well, it's not really the final song. It's the credits no-fail song, opening up a hidden venue and four other songs. Presumably it's chosen as much for length as for difficulty. Satch Boogie would have been a better choice for difficulty, but then they'd have to get the credits down to a lean 3:30.

David_T on
    euj90n71sojo.png
  • metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I like the idea of sustaining one note and playing others over top of it, it could be an interesting mechanic. I'm thinking I'll be getting the Guitar Hero bundle and Rock Band on it's own.

All it is doing is forcing a mechanic you've been able to do since GH1. And to be frank, my mind doesn't work that way. I don't even know (to be honest) if you do that thing in real guitar playing all that often.

The action of sustaining a note while playing other melodic phrases over it is pretty common and an essential component of arpeggio (arpeggi?).

metaghost on
  • GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Arpeggio plural is arpeggios :P And I didn't think of that.

GreasyKidsStuff on
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    metaghost wrote: »

The action of sustaining a note while playing other melodic phrases over it is pretty common and an essential component of arpeggio (arpeggi?).

Ahhh. I thought those were runs. My bad. It just seems like one of those things where you'd strum it and forget about it, something hard to do given the size of the keys in the game.

... and the more I think about it, the more I think the size is a problem. I want the notes closer together, damnit, and the ability to hold my hand at an angle.

(Note this comes after getting up into the harder Hard songs on GH2 and messing around with practice mode Freebird in Expert, and finding I'm completely and utterly fumbling over it.)

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • RCagentRCagent Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    slash000 wrote: »
    I just wish one of these damn band games would do Dethklok again. 'Course, not sure how the singing or the drum parts would go... (except completely awesome that is).

?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUUJvojEV-o

RCagent on
  • metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    metaghost wrote: »

Ahhh. I thought those were runs. My bad. It just seems like one of those things where you'd strum it and forget about it, something hard to do given the size of the keys in the game.

Huh? I wasn't stating that the action within Guitar Hero was strictly confined to arpeggio(s), and in fact it would appear be used under other circumstances. I was simply clarifying that it is not something completely removed from actual guitar playing.

metaghost on
    edited October 2008
    I'm still disappointed that the Neversoft art team still hasn't learned. Maybe I've just gotten too use to Rock Band, but there's a clear visual difference between the two:

Case and Point:
    Guitar Hero: World Tour
    guitar-hero-world-tour-complete-band-game-20080916094933491.jpg

Rock Band 2:
    rock-band-2-game-only-20080716002200237.jpg

Harmonix seems to use much more darker colors to contrast the bright colorful notes to make notecharts much easier to read, while Guitar Hero: World Tour's art style is completely bright and vibrant. Looking at other screens and videos of Guitar Hero: World Tour much of the environments are incredibly vibrant and bright which make your eyes strain a bit more when reading note charts.

Though I did see some videos that showed some darker environments (like the Times Square), but they aren't dark enough. I mean look at that screen! There's like 50 lights fucking going off! Rock Band's environments are vibrant too, but they are overshadowed by your own characters. As you can see and compare from both screenshots, the Guitar Hero: World Tour background blends in with the characters and instruments where as the Rock Band characters stand out from a darker, more vague background. Same goes with the fretboards. Guitar Hero fretboards are dark, but Rock Band's are pitch black and only at times shine or show any color.

Oh and the faces. Sweet God. Compare the faces.

And Neversoft's notecharts are still devoid of any fun as I've seen in the youtube videos. I will still ignore all of this and play Guitar Hero: World Tour regardless. I have a bit of faith that they can fix most of the mess that Guitar Hero III was. Hopefully. Please?

RCagent on
  • GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I personally can't stand Rock Band being as dark as it is. I hate it. Everything is dark. The brightness and over-the-top style of GH is something I definitely lean towards.

GreasyKidsStuff on
    edited October 2008
    I personally can't stand Rock Band being as dark as it is. I hate it. Everything is dark. The brightness and over-the-top style of GH is something I definitely lean towards.

Maybe it's just me, I usually prefer black backgrounds over white backgrounds. It's just a preference for me. So that could be why I prefer Rock Band's style more.

RCagent on
  • BoutrosBoutros Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Do you use hyperspeed? I had been stuck on CoP a while, not even getting that close to passing, then the first time I tried with hyperspeed on I beat it. And this was my first ever time using hyperspeed, so I wasn't even used to it. It just makes those big clusterfucks of notes readable and easy to understand. Also you have much more accurate timing information, since the notes spend time over the target. Your fingers probably won't move fast enough to 100% it for a long time, but if you can just tell what the fuck is going on in the chart you can tell which parts you can hit (decending sweeps) and how fast you should flail on the strum bar.

Boutros on
  • noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    RCagent wrote: »
    I'm still disappointed that the Neversoft art team still hasn't learned. [\QUOTE]

For me, the worst example of Neversoft's lack of knowledge is in GH:A. Namely Perry's fretboard. That thing is so colorful it honestly made the game harder to play. Especially because you get used to the other chars fretboard when playing the songs, and then he steps in with his stupid ass fretboard.

noir_blood on
    edited October 2008
    Boutros wrote: »
    flail

Don't do it, kids.
    The number one piece of advice is to know what you're trying to do. Practice. Take it down to slowest and look for patterns. Hell, memorize it if you have to.

Also-How are you holding the guitar neck, Carch? If your thumb is up over the back, you're doing it wrong. You can't really move your fingers fast enough that way.
    Don't grip it too tightly, either.

glithert on
    edited October 2008
    flail

Don't do it, kids.
    The number one piece of advice is to know what you're trying to do. Practice. Take it down to slowest and look for patterns. Hell, memorize it if you have to.

Also-How are you holding the guitar neck, Carch? If your thumb is up over the back, you're doing it wrong. You can't really move your fingers fast enough that way.

You do realize that this is a game. Right? Not a professional hobby? I doubt he's going to hurt himself by making a game easier and funner for him to play.

RCagent on
    edited October 2008
    ...What? When did I say that he was going to hurt himself?

glithert on
    edited October 2008
    ...What? When did I say that he was going to hurt himself?

I don't know, it just seems you implied that if he used hyperspeed he was diminishing his skills, thus "hurting" him.

RCagent on
  • DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    i just read that post 3 times and still can't see any mention of hyperspeed. just taking it to practice mode and using a correct grip on the neck of the plastic guitar.

Dehumanized on
    edited October 2008
    Ah I see, I mistook "flail" as "fail". I thought he was coming off as disliking hyperspeed and labeled it as "fail".

Nevermind, nothing to see here. Move along.

RCagent on
    edited October 2008
    Do you use hyperspeed? I had been stuck on CoP a while, not even getting that close to passing, then the first time I tried with hyperspeed on I beat it. And this was my first ever time using hyperspeed, so I wasn't even used to it. It just makes those big clusterfucks of notes readable and easy to understand. Also you have much more accurate timing information, since the notes spend time over the target. Your fingers probably won't move fast enough to 100% it for a long time, but if you can just tell what the fuck is going on in the chart you can tell which parts you can hit (decending sweeps) and how fast you should flail on the strum bar.

I'll give hyperspeed a try; the biggest problem for me with that solo is that the notes blur into a solid mass of pain. However, I've been decidedly against flailing ever since One and Raining Blood on Hard. Flailing through the hard parts of those songs was impossible for me. Then I learned roughly what needed to be done, and wondered why I thought flailing was ever a good idea in the first place.
    flail

Don't do it, kids.

I am actually holding it like that. It feels like the natural way to hold a guitar I guess, but then again I've never played a real guitar. Still, I'll give it a try. There was a point when the orange fret felt completely wrong for me, and now it feels weird not to have to strum it. :lol:

Carcharodontosaurus on
    steam_sig.png
    edited October 2008
    So is there anything else I should add to the OP?

glithert on
  • HearthjawHearthjaw Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Hearthjaw on
    steamid: sewersider
    edited October 2008
    Holy Christ. I just altered my grip as glithert suggested, and passed Cult of Personality on Expert with 4 Stars on my first finished attempt. Though it feels a little weird, having the thumb act as a pivot to move the four fingers up and down the controller makes my reaction much, much faster than it once was. The solo wasn't actually that bad anymore, now that my hands can react to the prompts given by my brain. Tier 8 should still give my pause for thought, but suddenly gigantic barrages of HOPO zigzagging doesn't make me so afraid anymore. :D

Thanks glithert. :)

Carcharodontosaurus on
    steam_sig.png
  • CymoroCymoro Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Hearthjaw wrote: »

Holy hell, what is with all of the unused space? Stop cramping everything into one spot so people can see shit! D:

Cymoro on
    i am perpetual, i make the country clean
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    1) Will this have Trophies on PS3? It's not listed on ps3trophies.org, but they could have just not revealed them yet.

2) I will probably rent this just to play the few songs that somehow aren't in RB yet.

UnbreakableVow on
  • mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I can't beat the devil and/or Raining Blood.

Seriously, though, I only just now picked my plastic axe back up and got through Raining Blood on Hard. Now I'm stuck on Lou, and unsure if I'll be able to beat him...what the fuck is with no practicing on boss battles, man?

Oh, and on Expert? Fuck The Metal. It does indeed come from hell, to fuck me in the ass with Lucifer's spiked penis. I've beaten the rest of the tier, but just haven't found the time to slow this fucker down in practice and make it happen. I've got all the repetitive shit down, it's the last bits that kill me.

mcdermott on
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2008
    The reason GH is so bright is because they're still making it for PS2, where everything is bright because the system sucks at doing any sort of real time lighting.

That and they're using the Tony Hawk engine, which is better at realistic TH-style graphics than it is at cartoonish shaded graphics.

FyreWulff on
    edited October 2008
    mcdermott wrote: »

Seriously, though, I only just now picked my plastic axe back up and got through Raining Blood on Hard. Now I'm stuck on Lou, and unsure if I'll be able to beat him...what the fuck is with no practicing on boss battles, man?

Oh, and on Expert? Fuck The Metal. It does indeed come from hell, to fuck me in the ass with Lucifer's spiked penis. I've beaten the rest of the tier, but just haven't found the time to slow this fucker down in practice and make it happen. I've got all the repetitive shit down, it's the last bits that kill me.

With Lou, just keep practicing. By alt strumming it's easily possible to get up to the section where Lou gets his first attack without any real trouble. Though there are some powerups that will destroy you outright, like Double Notes, anything else means you can get through the huge volume of HOPOs if you keep the pattern in mind; they tend to be really repetitive. Don't worry though; it took me a very long time to beat him. I only just did it last week, and I got the game back in April.

As for The Metal on Expert, which bit is killing you? The quiet bit isn't so bad when you realize how repetitive it is, and after the second iteration of the beginning part it shouldn't pose too big a problem. Just alt strum fast enough and it shouldn't matter even if you miss many notes.

The true rape will come with Raining Blood on Expert. Mosh 1 is just so hilarious; the sheer amount of HOPOs is absurd.

Carcharodontosaurus on
    steam_sig.png
    edited October 2008
    mcdermott wrote: »

With Lou, just keep practicing. By alt strumming it's easily possible to get up to the section where Lou gets his first attack without any real trouble. Though there are some powerups that will destroy you outright, like Double Notes, anything else means you can get through the huge volume of HOPOs if you keep the pattern in mind; they tend to be really repetitive. Don't worry though; it took me a very long time to beat him. I only just did it last week, and I got the game back in April.

As for The Metal on Expert, which bit is killing you? The quiet bit isn't so bad when you realize how repetitive it is, and after the second iteration of the beginning part it shouldn't pose too big a problem. Just alt strum fast enough and it shouldn't matter even if you miss many notes.

The true rape will come with Raining Blood on Expert. Mosh 1 is just so hilarious; the sheer amount of HOPOs is absurd.

On The Metal, it's where it goes all head-bangy at the end...I have all the repetitive shit kinda down, which is to say I can usually remain in the green pretty easily. But yeah, it's just going to take practice.

Or possibly osmosis, which seems to be what happened on Black Sunshine. Couldn't beat it, couldn't beat it, couldn't beat it...put game down for three months, come back, beat it on my second try. Which isn't uncommon, I know, it's just amusing.

And no, I'm not looking forward to Raining Blood on Expert. I'm tempted to just quickplay it to disgust myself, but I've held back thus far. Quickplayed Before I Forget, though, and my WTF-o-meter pegged out.

I also got my buddy to start playing through co-op with me, if only to unlock the songs. We started on Hard, but he's having some problems keeping up in the top two tiers (right now, on Black Sunshine, where even the bass is exhausting if repetitive). I can't wait to see him try Knights of Cydonia. Finally got Cities on Flame with Rock and Roll, though, and fuck I love that song.

Didn't really get the praise it received in the last thread at first. But that's because I was playing it on Hard. On Expert? That song is a thing of fucking beauty. Just challenging enough to not be boring, but not blazingly difficult...and FUN. Oh God, the HO/POs...it's what Cult of Personality wishes it was.

Of course, so far all I've managed is a three-star disasterpiece...but I intend to at least four-star this fucker by the end of the week. Mainly because I just love playing it.

EDIT: And I think in the next couple weeks I might try to find a cheap used copy of Aerosmith...I'm a fan of the band, and I like the look of the playlist, but no way is it worth more than about $20-$25 to me. Out of curiosity, on the Wii does it have co-op quickplay, which was so conspicuously absent on the Wii version of GH3?

mcdermott on
    edited October 2008
    I'll give hyperspeed a try; the biggest problem for me with that solo is that the notes blur into a solid mass of pain. However, I've been decidedly against flailing ever since One and Raining Blood on Hard. Flailing through the hard parts of those songs was impossible for me. Then I learned roughly what needed to be done, and wondered why I thought flailing was ever a good idea in the first place.

Outright flailing will fuck you every time. GH is like th SATs...you get penalized for guessing. Strum a wrong note and you get dinged twice...once for missing the right one, once for strumming the wrong one. Less so for HO/POs, obviously, but with those you should probably be strumming rhythmically (often on "base" notes) or missing one means missing thirty.

Though you likely knew all this, and I just sound like a jackass.

The thing I learned, at least for passing songs, is to look for what I need to play. Things like Raining Blood? Ignore a fret, and play it with three fingers...then, instead of trying to play 90%-100% and hitting 20%, I wind up trying to play 75% and hitting 70%...which with a star power is more than enough.

Then again, this is probably why Expert is kicking my ass...because you get dinged a lot harder for missed notes.

Note that on a majority of songs I don't go this route...I honestly try to learn them and play all the notes...but crazy Wall of Stupid(TM) parts like Mosh 1? Yeah, if I can find a shortcut I'm fucking taking it.

mcdermott on
  • BoutrosBoutros Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    gilthert wrote:
    Don't do it, kids.

I don't mean flail as in alt strum as fast as you can, but obviously in stuff like the CoP solos you are going to miss notes so you need to strum to keep the hopo train rolling, I meant more like a steady strumming in time, which really shouldn't make you fail much faster. Like in mosh 1 I strum on the first note of the sweeps even when I'm not missing anything (which is not very often). In general I strum the first note of descending sweeps in hard solos because I know I can hit those. And for trills that are just too fast for me like flood I think strumming fast works better to keep my meter up than strumming slow.

Boutros on