As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WAR]: TSM SWITCHING SERVERS TO RED EYE!

• MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Glal wrote: »
    grrarg wrote: »
    Thread title is stupid and counterproductive. Way to scare off potential new players.
    Psh, big baby.

New title is full of win.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • A-PuckA-Puck Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I think that a useful addition to the OP would be where and how to get wardb.com character sigs.

edit:

It would be easier if I actually listed said instructions:

- Register an account at www.wardb.com

- Download the Curse Client, install and log in with your wardb info.
    http://www.wardb.com/client.aspx

- Download "Curse Profiler" addon. You can do this directly inside the client or download it from here:
    http://www.curse.com/downloads/details/13364/ "Install via curse client"

When you go online the next time, use this command, /wardbupdate, to send your info to wardb. Then log into wardb.com, choose "my characters" and you will find info on how to get the banner.

A-Puck on
    Soon... soon I will install you, my precious.
  • risumonrisumon Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    So what do people think are the giant imbalances that need to be fixed? I have altitis and even though I settled on a main, been too busy to play lately, so my experience is limited to T1 scenarios mostly. So far stuff is seeming balanced. At least I am not complaining. The main forum gripes seem to be nerf BW/Sorc and WE > WH. As far as bugs go, Lion AI needs work still, but thats about it.

Really doesn't seem that bad to me.

As far as end game goes, I would love to see a darkness falls situation. For the non-DaoC people, darkness falls was a multi realm dungeon. In order for your realm to have access you had to have a majority of the keeps. Most servers, mine included, had an overpopulated albion balance. Sometimes it seemed like there was more albs then hibs/mids combined. Anyways, Alb would usually have DF, but the warcry would go out and a couple groups would go take keeps. The first in to DF after a realm swap got to run through and slaughter the last realm to be there and got first dibs on camping spots. Was really a sweet idea and kept it very interesting.

Of course the next day Albion would almost always reset it, but you could log inside and it made xping fun, since you knew you coudl get ganked any moment.

Here is to hoping they have some good ideas for endgame. I have faith in them, and at the rate I am going, I am not worried.

risumon on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    risumon wrote: »
    So what do people think are the giant imbalances that need to be fixed? I have altitis and even though I settled on a main, been too busy to play lately, so my experience is limited to T1 scenarios mostly. So far stuff is seeming balanced. At least I am not complaining. The main forum gripes seem to be nerf BW/Sorc and WE > WH. As far as bugs go, Lion AI needs work still, but thats about it.

It becomes more obvious the higher level you go, until it just shits in your face in tier 4.

I didn't find any big imbalances in tier1 either. Most classes just don't have them hard hitting tools there yet. My sorc is like night and day now that she's in t4, compared to t1/t2

Night and day.

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008

As far as end game goes, I would love to see a darkness falls situation. For the non-DaoC people, darkness falls was a multi realm dungeon. In order for your realm to have access you had to have a majority of the keeps. Most servers, mine included, had an overpopulated albion balance. Sometimes it seemed like there was more albs then hibs/mids combined. Anyways, Alb would usually have DF, but the warcry would go out and a couple groups would go take keeps. The first in to DF after a realm swap got to run through and slaughter the last realm to be there and got first dibs on camping spots. Was really a sweet idea and kept it very interesting.

Of course the next day Albion would almost always reset it, but you could log inside and it made xping fun, since you knew you coudl get ganked any moment.

Here is to hoping they have some good ideas for endgame. I have faith in them, and at the rate I am going, I am not worried.

Jacobs alluded to a DF-style dungeon being in the works in one of his posts last week. I'd be surpised if he doesn't mention it in his State of the Game thingee.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
    edited October 2008
    Also, I'm a bit disappointed by the healer renown 'fix'. Note that I've only ever been solo in one scenario, and that was because of random slotting (and unwillingness on the other players part to slot me into a team, so that I could use group heals / shields).

Anyhow.

I'm disappointed because, even if it's a small change (haven't been able to test it yet), it's giving people less incentive to play a healing class. Healing is already a borderline miserable experience for me (mainly because if someone is being focused, I have no way to keep them up, and that's disappointing to both me and the person that's being dropped). Taking into account that healers are relatively scarce as it is, and that I pretty much have to turn scenario chat off so that I don't have to listen to whining (only so much AP and time in a given scenario - if I'm the only healer, or 1 of 2 healers, we aren't going to be able to keep everyone up in T3/T4)....

I don't know, I'm just annoyed by it. I'm full-heal spec, so solo grinding/questing is a nightmare. PuGs are miserable, for the reasons outlined above. My guild isn't always on.

Maybe it's just me.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • ToothyToothy Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    You can choose what party you belong to in a scenario, unless you were talking about something else.

Click the little flag on the map for the scenario parties window. At the bottom of each party there is a leave or join option. The max of 6 people per group stands, but you can usually get into a group for loot and moneys.

Toothy on
  • risumonrisumon Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Zzulu wrote: »
    It becomes more obvious the higher level you go, until it just shits in your face in tier 4.

I didn't find any big imbalances in tier1 either. Most classes just don't have them hard hitting tools there yet. My sorc is like night and day now that she's in t4, compared to t1/t2

Night and day.

Could you elaborate more? I generally see balance by how much people bitch on the forums and since the PA forums are cool and I stay away from WHA/VN I don't know what the current state is.

The main thing I get from here is:
    BW/Sorc > All
    BW > Sorc
    WE > WH

Those seem to be the main gripes that actually generate discussion rather then a one man rant.

risumon on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited October 2008
    Toothy wrote: »
    You can choose what party you belong to in a scenario, unless you were talking about something else.

Click the little flag on the map for the scenario parties window. At the bottom of each party there is a leave or join option. The max of 6 people per group stands, but you can usually get into a group for loot and moneys.

The one time I was solo, it was because I was the odd man out - there were already two full groups in the scenario (of course, neither group had a healer, so it was strange that they wouldn't reshuffle).

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
    edited October 2008
    Do Bright Wizards get considerably more powerful between late T2 and T4? Discord Chosen walk through them like butter in T2.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • RyokazeRyokaze Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Night and day.

Could you elaborate more? I generally see balance by how much people bitch on the forums and since the PA forums are cool and I stay away from WHA/VN I don't know what the current state is.

BW/Sorc > All
    BW > Sorc
    WE > WH

Those seem to be the main gripes that actually generate discussion rather then a one man rant.

There are other little imbalances between sides too that are just perplexing. The rune priest/zealot mirror is almost equal, except for some really odd and obviously better tactics/mastery skills that rune priests get that have no analog for the zealot. The white lion fetch vs. marauder GET OVER HERE is another one that's just weird. Why is one so much better than the other? It's just odd.

Ryokaze on
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Morskittar wrote: »
    Do Bright Wizards get considerably more powerful between late T2 and T4? Discord Chosen walk through them like butter in T2.
    Distance is key for BWs.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
    edited October 2008

Short answer - yes.

Note - my BW is only 23/20, but here's my experience. It's already a ridiculously easy class to play, especially if you have a pocket healer. Once you add in the -50% healing debuff (which also damages anyone casting a heal on the target - so if you focus on a healing class, and they try to heal themselves, they kill themselves that much faster), and you become an unstoppable killing machine. Withering Heat (DoT + snare) is going to be a lot of fun as well.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
    edited October 2008
    Malkor wrote: »
    Distance is key for BWs.

The second snare is irritating.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • SaammielSaammiel Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Ryokaze wrote: »
    There are other little imbalances between sides too that are just perplexing. The rune priest/zealot mirror is almost equal, except for some really odd and obviously better tactics/mastery skills that rune priests get that have no analog for the zealot. The white lion fetch vs. marauder GET OVER HERE is another one that's just weird. Why is one so much better than the other? It's just odd.

Which are you claiming is better? I never understood marauders feeling slighted about Fetch. Lion's are weak as hell and their pathing is messed up, so trying to get them to go 150 feet to grab someone isn't exactly easy. Especially given that Maraduers seem to be a much better overall class than WLs. Granted, some of that is tied in to the crappy state of the lions currently, but still.

Saammiel on
  • darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Night and day.

BW/Sorc > All
    BW > Sorc
    WE > WH

Speaking of the Marauder GET OVER HERE, does that have a target limit cause damn.. watching 30 or so defenders get pulled towards a marauder is insane. even more so when you are by the keep lord and get pulled to the stairs en masse.

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
    edited October 2008
    Saammiel wrote: »

Which are you claiming is better? I never understood marauders feeling slighted about Fetch. Lion's are weak as hell and their pathing is messed up, so trying to get them to go 150 feet to grab someone isn't exactly easy. Especially given that Maraduers seem to be a much better overall class than WLs. Granted, some of that is tied in to the crappy state of the lions currently, but still.

Well, one has a cast time, and a 65 foot range. The other has no cast time, costs less energy, and has a 150 foot range.

It should be noted that 65 feet is a little over half of an offensive caster's range, and it's difficult to catch anyone from keep walls with a 100 foot range, so trying to pluck a defender off a wall with a 65 foot range is either next to impossible, or totally impossible depending on how high the keep walls are. I mean, have you ever been pulled 150 feet before? It's a retarded distance to get flung, it's like five ironbreakers all hit a knockback at the same time.
    darkmayo wrote:
    Speaking of the Marauder GET OVER HERE, does that have a target limit cause damn.. watching 30 or so defenders get pulled towards a marauder is insane. even more so when you are by the keep lord and get pulled to the stairs en masse.

That's not the marauder's ability, that's chaotic rift from a magus, or magnet from an engineer, the two abilities are nearly identical. Terrible Embrace (aka, GET OVER HERE) is single target.

Ryokaze on
  • rehtonAesoohCrehtonAesoohC Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    darkmayo wrote: »

Night and day.

BW/Sorc > All
    BW > Sorc
    WE > WH

I thought the marauder spell is only one target? You may be confusing that with Chaotic Rift (I think is the name) the Magus spell, or Electromagnet, the Engineer ability. Both of those pull every target within 65 feet on top of the Magus/Engineer.

rehtonAesoohC on
    Was wowed by Rift so I'm trying that now.
    edited October 2008
    Saammiel wrote: »

Well, one has a cast time, and a 65 foot range. The other has no cast time, costs less energy, and has a 150 foot range.

It should be noted that 65 feet is a little over half of an offensive caster's range, and it's difficult to catch anyone from keep walls with a 100 foot range, so trying to pluck a defender off a wall with a 65 foot range is either next to impossible, or totally impossible depending on how high the keep walls are. I mean, have you ever been pulled 150 feet before? It's a retarded distance to get flung, it's like five ironbreakers all hit a knockback at the same time.

Right, but the 150 range isn't instant either. It requires a buggy lion to run the entire distance without getting confused or dying. Both of those are fairly likely occurances. And it can only reach things with a clear path, meaning there is no chance of plucking people off walls, even if Marauders have little chance. I mean sure, once in a while Fetch might really shine, but TBH I'd rather rely on my lion as little as possible currently. And if that meant taking reduced range + a cast time, I'd probably do it.

Saammiel on
  • darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Night and day.

BW/Sorc > All
    BW > Sorc
    WE > WH

I thought the marauder spell is only one target? You may be confusing that with Chaotic Rift (I think is the name) the Magus spell, or Electromagnet, the Engineer ability. Both of those pull every target within 65 feet on top of the Magus/Engineer.

AHhh that might be it, didnt know Mag/Eng had something like that. Either way its pretty crazy

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
    edited October 2008
    I had a game the other day where a white lion Fetch'd me from max range into a pack of order, I blew all of my cooldowns to get away, and before I made it the 150 feet to my original position, fetch had cooled down and I got pulled the entire distance back again.

Scenarios are divide and conquer, seperating someone from their zerg by 150 feet is basically gauranteed death since they'll probably be way out of heal range, not to mention out of range of any kind of melee support. A 65 foot pull is just a nuisance, that's a normal knockback, and won't even put someone out of casting range.

Ryokaze on
  • DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Nerf Marauder Terrible Embrace. Anyone still whining about BW/Sorcs obviously haven't played enough vs. Rank 40 Marauders.

Also, the amount of silences being thrown around by Rank 40 characters also means that casters are quite fine thank you very much.

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
    edited October 2008

Night and day.

BW/Sorc > All
    BW > Sorc
    WE > WH

AHhh that might be it, didnt know Mag/Eng had something like that. Either way its pretty crazy

Here's a funny example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fZIEQOpgcI

rehtonAesoohC on
    edited October 2008
    I had a game the other day where a white lion Fetch'd me from max range into a pack of order, I blew all of my cooldowns to get away, and before I made it the 150 feet to my original position, fetch had cooled down and I got pulled the entire distance back again.

Scenarios are divide and conquer, seperating someone from their zerg by 150 feet is basically gauranteed death since they'll probably be way out of heal range, not to mention out of range of any kind of melee support. A 65 foot pull is just a nuisance, that's a normal knockback, and won't even put someone out of casting range.

Great, what I am saying is the situations where you are going to get pulled that 150 feet are few and far between due to the pet. Great that you somehow got caught in the perfect storm of a lion following you 150 feet twice, but I'm telling you it isn't the norm. I almost never send my pet after anyone more than about 50 feet from me because the chances of something going terribly awry with it are extremely high. I really don't care if they nerf the range, because it's going to be mostly irrelevant, but Marauders complaining about White Lions is pretty rich.

Saammiel on
  • DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    What they should do is when marauders use terrible embrace, their arm actually detaches and flies towards the enemy, and you can kill the arm, making it so they can't use their mutations for 15 seconds.

Heck, it's even in the intro movie, cutting off marauder arms. I mean fetch is vastly "superior" to Terrible Embrace right? Then let's give them all these "superior" qualities.

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    That dwarf is awesome.

I woud hate him so hard,but I don't play Tor Anroc, so I love him.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • SoundwaveSoundwave Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I wanted to try more of a pure healer so I rolled a Zealot the other day. My favourite moment so far was being the top healer on my team(third overall) at Rank 3 and having a Rank 8 Blorc tell me I was useless because I was Rank 3. A Blorc who would hide behind casters and throw axes at the other team.

Soundwave on
    edited October 2008
    I want to add that the fetch/tentacle grab skills the white lion and marauder gets are fairly balanced, and in no way does the marauder get the shaft (i'd say the other way around if anything)

For example, the WL gets the range advantage, but has to rely on a horrible AI that die in 2 caster spells. The marauder in turn can use his ability on the Y-axis, literally pulling people down from keep walls. Lion can't do that. The lion really is not effective at a range of 150ft. Chances are it will get stuck/die on its way there, or that the enemy team will see the massive armoured monstrous lion coming towards them and kill it.

So the WL definitely needs his range advantage

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Soundwave wrote: »
    I wanted to try more of a pure healer so I rolled a Zealot the other day. My favourite moment so far was being the top healer on my team(third overall) at Rank 3 and having a Rank 8 Blorc tell me I was useless because I was Rank 3. A Blorc who would hide behind casters and throw axes at the other team.

Well he had the best view of the developing battlefield, so I'm guessing he was in the optimal position to critique your performance.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
    edited October 2008
    Okay, so, let me give you a step by step on how fetch works.

1) You and a witch hunter buddy stand away from the zerg in a scenario. 150 feet away, in fact.
    2) send buggy pet to someone on the front line of the zerg. (This minimizes risk to your pet, yay low risk!)
    3) wait as long as necessary for pet to reach target.
    4) fetch from a hojillion yards away.
    5) gangbang fetched target because they can't get any support whatsoever
    6) repeat.

Your lion should be vulnerable for a very short period of time, and complaining that the skill sucks because of an obvious pathing bug is asinine, you're basically assuming that the pathing will always be bad and mythic will never do anything to fix it. The skill itself is superior and has ridiculously powerful applications, I'm sorry you're too busy wallowing in the fact that white lions have other problems to see that.

Ryokaze on
  • RialeRiale I'm a little slow Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Please don't get me started on WL vs Marauder.

I would give up fetch in a second for their mastery trees, or hell, even their abilities. There are so many disparities it makes me want to kill an infinite amount of children.

And it doesn't help matters that one of the strongest specs completely does away with the lion for Loner.

Riale on
    33c9nxz.gif
    Steam | XBL: Elazual | Last.fm
    edited October 2008
    Abraaaacadaaabraaaaaaa...

1) You and a witch hunter buddy gangbang buggy pet in a scenario.
    6) repeat.

Your lion should be vulnerable for a very short period of time, I'm sorry you're too busy wallowing in that white lion.

TA DAAAA!!!

:P

rehtonAesoohC on
    edited October 2008
    I wouldn't mind if they made the lion a bit weaker and instead improved some of our base skills

also; make snare a regular ability. I don't want to have to rely on my crazy little lion to snare the mans

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
    edited October 2008
    Abraaaacadaaabraaaaaaa...

1) You and a witch hunter buddy gangbang buggy pet in a scenario.
    6) repeat.

Your lion should be vulnerable for a very short period of time, I'm sorry you're too busy wallowing in that white lion.

TA DAAAA!!!

:winky:

Ryokaze on
    edited October 2008

1) You and a witch hunter buddy stand away from the zerg in a scenario. 150 feet away, in fact.
    2) send buggy pet to someone on the front line of the zerg. (This minimizes risk to your pet, yay low risk!)
    3) wait as long as necessary for pet to reach target.
    4) fetch from a hojillion yards away.
    5) gangbang fetched target because they can't get any support whatsoever
    6) repeat.

Your lion should be vulnerable for a very short period of time, and complaining that the skill sucks because of an obvious pathing bug is asinine, you're basically assuming that the pathing will always be bad and mythic will never do anything to fix it. The skill itself is superior and has ridiculously powerful applications, I'm sorry you're too busy wallowing in the fact that white lions have other problems to see that.

2a) Watch as some errant AE tears your White Lion in half.
    2b) Watch as your white lion gets confused by pathing and is worthless
    3a) Do 0 damage and contribute nothing while you stand around with your axe up your butt
    4a) Watch as your target just runs away to the side since you are standing with the healers and your only snare is a awful pet.

And if a skill sucks because of a pathing bug, guess what, the skill still sucks. IFF it gets fixed maybe then they can re-evaluate Fetch. Plus, who cares about a random skill that White Lions have that may be better than the Maraduer mirror. The rest of the class comparison between the two favors the Marauder and Fetch isn't a game changer.

Saammiel on
    edited October 2008
    It actually is a game changer. Being able to take individual targets out of the game is a huge ability, zerged scenarios are a number crunching game, as individuals fall on each side, you lose damage capacity, which means the other healers aren't as pressured, which makes it even less likely that people on their side are going to die, and it snowballs from there.

Ryokaze on
  • GalagaGalaxianGalagaGalaxian Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Well, hopefully Mythic does things right.

GalagaGalaxian on
    Remember the compliments you receive, forget the insults; if you succeed in doing this, tell me how.
    edited October 2008
    once people learn to take out the absolutely massive (T4 lions are huge) target as the WL sends his pet after someone in a zerg, our fetch will not be as effective

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
    edited October 2008
    once people learn to take out the absolutely massive (T4 lions are huge) target as the WL sends his pet after someone in a zerg, our fetch will not be as effective

Possibly, but people in general (as seen in WoW) are extremely reticent to target pets over people. It took several seasons of arena before the top echelons of PvP guys finally figured out that killing pets was just as vital as killing the players that control them. I don't think that tendency ever trickled down to the common PvP'er at all.

Ryokaze on
  • grrarggrrarg Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Riale wrote: »
    Please don't get me started on WL vs Marauder.

I would give up fetch in a second for their mastery trees, or hell, even their abilities. There are so many disparities it makes me want to kill an infinite amount of children.

And it doesn't help matters that one of the strongest specs completely does away with the lion for Loner.

Be careful what you wish for. Know why every Marauder goes Monstrosity? A good many of the Marauder master abilities and tactics from the other two paths are bugged and do not work. Looking at you Deadly Clutch.

grrarg on
This discussion has been closed.