As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Brains On]Zombie Panic! Source: Now with exploding zombie heads.

• BEAST!BEAST! Adventurer Adventure!!!!!Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Job_41:25 wrote: »
    I coulda swore job tinkered with the shotguns on the older version and it was 10x better. Using the shorty and putting three shells in a zombies face only to be mauled to death is pretty lame.

Yes he did, and I think some tweaking needs to be made.

That said we need to get the rifle knockback the fuck out of here. Getting hosed backwards after landing three hits on a human is ridiculous.

We all know how willing to cooperate this mod team is...

Also the new Steam release has the CTX files encoded. I'll have to find the right key to decode them before I can tweak with that stuff.
    IF YOU WANT TO MOD IT THEN MAKE YOUR OWN GAME JOB YOU IDIOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BEAST! on
    dfzn9elrnajf.png
  • No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Fuck you, stupid zombie sympathizer. Knockback is the only thing that keeps humans alive most of the time. It's integral to the game.

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • SoaLSoaL fantastic Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    best was when i ran into the room on cinema after a minute of screaming like a 7 year old girl and running around with no weapons and just as I think I'm finally safe I get shot in the chest by a shotgun as I'm pushing the couches out of my way

SoaL on
    DKFA7.gif
    edited October 2008
    Seriously though, running around dark places with no weapon equipped, you're just asking to get shot.

No Great Name on
    sirtoons.png
  • PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Fuck you, stupid zombie sympathizer. Knockback is the only thing that keeps humans alive most of the time. It's integral to the game.

Stalling them and keeping them from moving forward is fine, it's the "hurling them backwards as if they were hit with a ballista" that I have an issue with.

I got the drop on Mustachio Jones on the basement room of Asylum. I hit him twice before he turned around, and after the third swipe to the face he simply opened fire with the MP5 he'd picked up off the round, which sent me flying across the damned cell, and pinned me to the wall until I was dead.

Re: CTX keys, I imagine that the ZP team will be ... uh ... "less than forthcoming" with the VICE key. Aka, GO WRITE YOUR OWN MOD FAGGOT.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • ZetxZetx 🐧 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    There's too much hiding now. Where's Flippy these days?

Zetx on
    76561197966849367.png
  • ArminasArminas Student of Life SF, CARegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Zetx wrote: »
    There's too much hiding now. Where's Flippy these days?

Busy baking.
    I made that up

Arminas on
  • INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I TKd DeadOnArrival and he ragequit.

INeedNoSalt on
  • davinciedavincie Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Can we make friendly fire voteable? It is terrible on some off the maps, like tanker. Also certain individuals panic really fast and throw a grenade in your face.

davincie on
    20qx2bp.jpg
  • INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I also TKed someone unintentionally because he just popped out at point blank range

Reflexive click

Pow

INeedNoSalt on
    edited October 2008
    FF on ZPS, good. FF on ZPO, bad.

PeregrineFalcon on
  • SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I spent like ten minutes as a carrier waiting for the couple of humans to come down off the roof and over the explodable rug, and when they did it turns out I wasn't even pressing the right button. Biggest waste of time ever.

Sarksus on
  • Job_41:25Job_41:25 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I would rather add map specific configs that enable or disable FF on the appropriate maps. Would the FF on for ZPS and FF off for ZPO be a good compromise to start with?

Job_41:25 on
    edited October 2008
    Yes

Zetx on
    76561197966849367.png
  • MarsMars Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Some ZPO maps work well with FF too. Biotec is more fun when you have to be careful about where you spray your bullets.

So far, the best(read: worst) instance of FF I've seen was on a small game in ZPO_Deadblock. I'm crawling through that van at the roadblock, and MistieOtaku climbs in behind me. I'm kind of wondering why he just doesn't hang back, but we'll get to the other side either way, so it makes no difference. I've been on this map a fair few times before, so I know to expect the carrier to try to get me while I'm stuck in the van, so I hang back enough that he can't claw me from the opening. Sure enough, he jumps out, and I calmly start firing my MP5. Now, almost a full second after I begin firing, so past the normal window for a reflexive action, Mistie apparently completely forgets that I'm sitting right in front of him, and fires his Super Shorty at the zombie. My corpse gets flung out of the van and into the far wall, and the carrier just stops dead for a couple seconds as he realizes what just happened before he gets a face full of lead.

Needless to say, I took great satisfaction in hunting down my former comrades.

Mars on
    edited October 2008
    Well, he said "to start with" and yes, it is good to start with. ZPS is alot better when you're trying not to kill your teammates.

I had a moral dilemma though, is it kosher to shoot up the survivors when infected? My conclusion was 'no, not on purpose,' because I think that's how it would be in an 'actual' zombie situation. And it'd be totally lame if someone did that. :|

Zetx on
    76561197966849367.png
  • Jean Claude Van CalmJean Claude Van Calm 'sup? Awesome Possum.Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I'd say it's different in the game since it's all about fun. But, I hate watching movies where someone is clearly infected and instead of killing them the survivors let the person live and they inevitable kill someone, usually their signifigant other.

Jean Claude Van Calm on
    PSN: Grimmsy- Xbox Live: Grimmsy
  • Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Always shoot the infected first. You know they're just lying to you when they say they're not. I mean, of course they're gonna tell you that they're fine. And you're gonna end up looking like a chump when you don't put him down like Old Yeller and he chomps the shit out of your face, further increasing their ranks.

Kristmas Kthulhu on
    edited October 2008
    I'd say it's different in the game since it's all about fun. But, I hate watching movies where someone is clearly infected and instead of killing them the survivors let the person live and they inevitable kill someone, usually their signifigant other. I'm lookin at you *coughspoilerscough*.

I want to see that movie too. :(

Anyway, I was talking about if you're the infected. Do you shoot everyone else? Technically, you're already their enemy, they just don't know it yet. If you start shooting, most people think "oh, it was an accident" first rather than "oh god, he's ONE OF THEM *blam blam blam*" and that's good, most of the time...

Zetx on
    76561197966849367.png
  • MarsMars Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Totally not kosher to do that. When we first turned FF on, I got into a perfect situation where I was infected and could have easily picked off at least 3 survivors, probably without anyone realizing I was doing it, which would have pretty much just ruined the game. Peregrine suggested banning anyone who tried, and I completely agree with him. Tricking survivors into dropping ammo or leading them to an area where they'll be alone when you turn is an acceptable use of subterfuge, flat-out team killing is not.

Mars on
  • Jean Claude Van CalmJean Claude Van Calm 'sup? Awesome Possum.Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Zetx wrote: »
    I'd say it's different in the game since it's all about fun. But, I hate watching movies where someone is clearly infected and instead of killing them the survivors let the person live and they inevitable kill someone, usually their signifigant other. I'm lookin at you *coughspoilerscough*.

I want to see that movie too. :(

Anyway, I was talking about if you're the infected. Do you shoot everyone else? Technically, you're already their enemy, they just don't know it yet. If you start shooting, most people think "oh, it was an accident" first rather than "oh god, he's ONE OF THEM *blam blam blam*" and that's good, most of the time...

Sorry, I didn't even think about that... :(

Jean Claude Van Calm on
    PSN: Grimmsy- Xbox Live: Grimmsy
  • ArcusArcus Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Sarksus wrote: »
    I spent like ten minutes as a carrier waiting for the couple of humans to come down off the roof and over the explodable rug, and when they did it turns out I wasn't even pressing the right button. Biggest waste of time ever.

Oh is that when there were just like 4 of us total on the map and there was a random toilet flush? Haha that explains things.
    Still, playing was a blast, despite n00bing it all up most of the time. :lol:

Arcus on
  • DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    The only time I effectively used a grenade is when a zombie horde busted in our base and I was low on ammo so I committed explosive suicide.

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
    edited October 2008
    I became infected for the first time earlier today. A carrier jumped up and swiped at me while I was on the roof of the house in Haunted. I was behind everyone, on the roof, when suddenly these claws come up in my field of vision (I didn't notice any of the other indicators) and I knew what I must do. It was carnage!

Sarksus on
  • AsiinaAsiina ... WaterlooRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I only ever notice the blood splatters, but the signs that you're turning just before it happens is pretty much my favourite thing in this game. The voices of your teammates growing distant and echoy as you turn is so absolutely perfect.

And shooting your teammates before you turn is not acceptable. Like Mars said, conning them into dropping ammo or walking in front of you in a narrow hallway is absolutely fair game.

Asiina on
  • randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Asiina wrote: »
    I only ever notice the blood splatters, but the signs that you're turning just before it happens is pretty much my favourite thing in this game. The voices of your teammates growing distant and echoy as you turn is so absolutely perfect.

And shooting your teammates before you turn is not acceptable. Like Mars said, conning them into dropping ammo or walking in front of you in a narrow hallway is absolutely fair game.
    I always just sort of sink into the back of the group and wait for the moment. So awesome eating your way out of the comrades you were in arms with seconds before.

Not to mention the shouts of everyone panicked that a zombie snuck behind everyone.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
    edited October 2008
    I love how easy it is to switch your allegiances. You are so careful and you fight so hard as a human to stay alive and keep your fellows survivors alive but when you die or are infected you instantly want to start killing humans.

Sarksus on
  • MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    or the dramatic nom

Like on biotec, I was with Arminas and someone else and starting groaning over the mic

me: "Guys guys get to the control room"
    (infected sign)
    me : (dammit) "Ooogh. Okay guys, someone go to the lab - you, Arminas, let's go"
    *follows*
    me: "Agh what is happening to mee Arminaaas grag garagaggaggagg"

nom nom ensued

MrDelish on
    edited October 2008
    I became infected for the first time earlier today. A carrier jumped up and swiped at me while I was on the roof of the house in Haunted. I was behind everyone, on the roof, when suddenly these claws come up in my field of vision (I didn't notice any of the other indicators) and I knew what I must do. It was carnage!

That was the one time I was a carrier, and I felt proud that it eventually led to zombie victory, as I did a horrible job of spreading the disease before then. You made it seem like you didn't know you were infected, was that true? Either way, good job with the destruction! Things like that make this game great! :lol:

Arcus on
  • Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Wow, I never even thought of shooting survivors before you turned. That's devilishly crafty, but also majorly lame. Although I think it could also be incredibly hilarious if it was a Mexican standoff type situation: one guy shoots another 'cause he thinks he's infected, someone else shoots him ("You killed Rabblerab!"), ad nauseam. The last guy would grenade himself because he couldn't live with the knowledge that even if he managed to survive, he would have helped in the utter internal destruction the humans. Of course, if the survivors really were interested in survival (psssh) they would just cut their losses and forgive teamkills even if they object to it on moral grounds.

I guess a major symptom to be on the lookout for in possibly infected teammates is suddenly being quiet and scooching to the back of the group.

Also, none of you sickies touch me! You're all infected!

Kristmas Kthulhu on
    edited October 2008
    Arcus wrote: »

That was the one time I was a carrier, and I felt proud that it eventually led to zombie victory, as I did a horrible job of spreading the disease before then. You made it seem like you didn't know you were infected, was that true? Either way, good job with the destruction! Things like that make this game great! :lol:

I had no idea I was infected until I saw the zombie claws come up and then I immediately started going after everybody.

Sarksus on
    edited October 2008
    :twisted::^:

Arcus on
  • LookFreeGrenadeLookFreeGrenade Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    One thing I'm angry about Zombie Panic becoming part of steam is I can't easily find the sound files for it anymore.

Which means I can no longer make every voice command "ARE YOU SERIOUS" or "WHAT THE HELL" or "I'm GONNA BREAK MY FOOT OFF IN YO ASS"

LookFreeGrenade on
    ormskm.jpg20i89qa.jpg73f2j6.jpg
    edited October 2008
    The time a survivor and I were holding out on an air conditioning unit on the roof of the building in Nightmare was great, too. I'm looking around, waiting for something to come in range of the magnum I had when suddenly I'm assaulted from behind by the infected survivor I was with.

Sarksus on
  • MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    will be on server waiting to nom

cleaning room

MrDelish on
  • AsiinaAsiina ... WaterlooRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I like moments in this game that are analogous to what I imagine a real life zombie apocalypse would be like.

For example, I was the last survivor on Nightmare (I think that's the one. The one with all the fire escapes). I was being chased on all sides, had no ammo at all, had maybe 5 health left and was pretty generally fucked. So I chose to jump of a fire escape and die to the fall damage. Morbid, but pretty realistic.

Asiina on
  • LookFreeGrenadeLookFreeGrenade Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I liked the one time I was hiding up in the cubicles on policestation. I was hiding in a dark corner and a zombie walks in, and my heart just stops. I don't think he sees me, so I relax a bit. He then comes back with two buddies, almost as if he's said the zombie equivalent of "There he is! That guy that I was talking about! Get his brains!" And then they rush me and I get om nom nom'd

LookFreeGrenade on
    ormskm.jpg20i89qa.jpg73f2j6.jpg
  • DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Asiina wrote: »
    I like moments in this game that are analogous to what I imagine a real life zombie apocalypse would be like.

For example, I was the last survivor on Nightmare (I think that's the one. The one with all the fire escapes). I was being chased on all sides, had no ammo at all, had maybe 5 health left and was pretty generally fucked. So I chose to jump of a fire escape and die to the fall damage. Morbid, but pretty realistic.

I did that once. Except I wasn't the last survivor and it was an accident. I paniced a little too much.

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
    edited October 2008
    MrDelish wrote: »
    or the dramatic nom

Like on biotec, I was with Arminas and someone else and starting groaning over the mic

me: "Guys guys get to the control room"
    (infected sign)
    me : (dammit) "Ooogh. Okay guys, someone go to the lab - you, Arminas, let's go"
    *follows*
    me: "Agh what is happening to mee Arminaaas grag garagaggaggagg"

nom nom ensued

You can pretty much count on me doing that every time I'm infected. As soon as I see the splat I start counting off the 30 seconds in my head, so that I'm in prime position for nom nom, and then ...

"Okay guys, security room is open, who wants the rifle? Oh and one more thing, BRAAAAAAAAAAAAINS"*turns*

PeregrineFalcon on
    edited October 2008
    The easiest way to stay incognito as a infected human is to KEEP DOING WHAT YOU'RE DOING.

I know it's a crazy I idea.

Like on tanker where I continued to finish up the first objective with two friends in tow, after breaking the electrical box I turn around and promptly nommed them both.

No Great Name on
    sirtoons.png