As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The American Presidency: Obama does not believe in prevent defense

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Gosling wrote: »
    And so it was that another candidate learned not to screw up your panderings to the local sports team.

Namely, if you're going to mention the playoffs, pick one team and stick with it.
    "How about those Tampa Bay Rays?" Gov. Sarah Palin shouted in Jacksonville last week.

"You know what that tells me, it tells me that the people in this area know a little something about turning an underdog into a victor," she said. "And we're counting on you to help us do that Nov. 4." Palin, who said essentially the same thing in Clearwater, might as well have pulled on a Rays jersey and sprayed the crowd with champagne and beer.

But yesterday in Salem, N.H., John McCain's running mate was saying something remarkably similar about the other guys. “We’re just 20 days out from the election and it’s gonna come right down to the wire, and we’re counting on you because Red Sox fans know how to turn an underdog into a victor, and that’s exactly what you can help us do on Nov. 4!"

It'll be a while before anyone panders to Orioles fans. :(

Buck up tiger, I live in washington state, we never get politicians to show up and campaign and no one likes our teams (hell we just lost one).

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Gosling wrote: »
    And so it was that another candidate learned not to screw up your panderings to the local sports team.

Namely, if you're going to mention the playoffs, pick one team and stick with it.
    "How about those Tampa Bay Rays?" Gov. Sarah Palin shouted in Jacksonville last week.

"You know what that tells me, it tells me that the people in this area know a little something about turning an underdog into a victor," she said. "And we're counting on you to help us do that Nov. 4." Palin, who said essentially the same thing in Clearwater, might as well have pulled on a Rays jersey and sprayed the crowd with champagne and beer.

But yesterday in Salem, N.H., John McCain's running mate was saying something remarkably similar about the other guys. “We’re just 20 days out from the election and it’s gonna come right down to the wire, and we’re counting on you because Red Sox fans know how to turn an underdog into a victor, and that’s exactly what you can help us do on Nov. 4!"

For his part, Obama waited until the White Sox were knocked out to throw in with the Phillies.

It still just seems to me like they're suffering from the same problem that afflicts a lot of politicians nowadays.

They don't realize that people can talk to and communicate with people a thousand miles away almost instantaneously. They don't get that people who see them in Ohio and people who see them in Florida can compare notes immediately afterward.

Either that, or they don't realize they're being recorded whenever they do or say anything. To anyone. Anywhere.

Taramoor on
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Couscous on
    edited October 2008
    Couscous wrote: »

FEAR MONGER!!!

Got to get that base to show up.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    syndalis wrote: »
    So today I am trying carpooling all of my apathetic friends to the early voting here in NC; they are all pro-bama, but I have no faith in them going it alone.

Now I'm picturing four stoners walking off in all directions and one frantic guy trying to herd them all towards the car.

"Jimmy! Jimmy, get back here! Matt, no, we'll go for ice cream afterwards. Get in the car. Not that car, my car. Jimmy!"

David_T on
    euj90n71sojo.png
  • tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    David_T wrote: »
    So today I am trying carpooling all of my apathetic friends to the early voting here in NC; they are all pro-bama, but I have no faith in them going it alone.

Now I'm picturing four stoners walking off in all directions and one frantic guy trying to herd them all towards the car.

"Jimmy! Jimmy, get back here! Matt, no, we'll go for ice cream afterwards. Get in the car. Not that car, my car. Jimmy!"

Do it Syndalis! Trick them into thinking you're going to Six Flags and take them to a polling place!

Seriously, you should convince them to go - why not? Don't they want to vote for Obama? Make it a group outing.

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Because black people are scary.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited October 2008
    tsmvengy wrote: »

Do it Syndalis! Trick them into thinking you're going to Six Flags and take them to a polling place!

Seriously, you should convince them to go - why not? Don't they want to vote for Obama? Make it a group outing.
    They totally do; I just know that it is very likely many of them will not vote if it isn't made easy. Frustrating, but thats the way it is.

Some of them would though, and I think they will help me make this happen.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
    edited October 2008
    Community Organizer turns Biden rally into phonebanking shift.
    When local field organizer Christian Lund took the stage just prior to Joe Biden's appearance on Tuesday night in Marietta, he asked those in the attendant crowd of about 4,000 to look at the sheets in their hands. Each sheet held four names, and each name had a phone number and a bar code for later data scanning. Lund asked the people in the crowd to make four phone calls to this targeted group, and then he demonstrated.

Is this standard at this point? If it's not, it should be.

OptimusZed on

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Orochi_RockmanOrochi_Rockman __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2008
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    Because black people are scary.

Sadly this is nearly the exact thing my mother said when I asked her why she was voting for McCain.

Orochi_Rockman on
  • Armored GorillaArmored Gorilla Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Man, I always read "Joe the Plumber" as "Joe the Plumper".

Armored Gorilla on
    "I'm a mad god. The Mad God, actually. It's a family title. Gets passed down from me to myself every few thousand years."
    edited October 2008
    When local field organizer Christian Lund took the stage just prior to Joe Biden's appearance on Tuesday night in Marietta, he asked those in the attendant crowd of about 4,000 to look at the sheets in their hands. Each sheet held four names, and each name had a phone number and a bar code for later data scanning. Lund asked the people in the crowd to make four phone calls to this targeted group, and then he demonstrated.

It's like the Obama campaign realizes hope and ambition doesn't get out votes like good ole phone calls and door knocking...

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2008

That is so fucking cool

Medopine on
  • MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Pedantic PSA for Other Pedants:

'Federalist' no longer denotes support for a strong central government. The term has moved, and now for a long time means, in modern American politics, "one who supports a system of the government in which sovereignty is constitutionally divided between a central governing authority and constituent political units." Cope. :P

Mahnmut on
    Steam/LoL: Jericho89
  • StreckStreck Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

I can't get over the sheer awesomeness of Obama's ground operations.

http://www.fivethirtyeight.com/2008/10/on-road-toledo-ohio.html
    Now that Debrah has settled into her role as one of Obama's Toledo Community Directors, she's amazed at the sophistication of the Obama structure. As a Community Director, she oversees three Neighborhood Team Leaders, volunteers who comprise the heart of Obama's volunteering infrastructure. Each neighborhood team, in turn, has up to five different coordinators: (1) the canvass coordinator; (2) the phonebank coordinator; (3) the volunteer coordinator; (4) the data coordinator; and (5) where applicable, the faith coordinator.

In Ohio, Campaign for Change State Director Jeremy Bird told us, there are 1,231 defined neighborhoods, as of August 25 there were about 800 in place, and as of Saturday approximately 1,100 NTLs had been tested and were up in operation. By "tested," Bird said, each NTL had undergone and met a series of specific challenges the field organizers had presented.

First, can the potential NTL organize a group of people? Whether by hosting a house party, a faith forum with a church group, or some other type of organizational meeting, the potential NTL needs to show they can lead the organization of their neighbors.

Second, can the potential NTL pass the voter contact test? Can he or she lead a canvass, can he or she build a group phonebanking night? It's a leadership test, built around voter contact.

Third, are they willing to make the final commitment by attending specific training for their role? Debrah Harleston smiled as she told us about the imminent blooming of satellite offices throughout the Toledo area so that neighborhood teams can begin running right in the neighborhoods autonomously. They've been trained, they've registered their voters, and now it's time to see how this baby runs.

Streck on
  • PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Medopine wrote: »

That is so fucking cool

It was Standard Operating Procedure at Deval Patrick rallies in 06 and the Obama campaign used that campaign as a dry run in many ways I think.

Before this rally I specifically remember my cell phone not being able to get a signal because the towers in the center of Boston were overloaded

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    PantsB wrote: »

That is so fucking cool

It was Standard Operating Procedure at Deval Patrick rallies in 06 and the Obama campaign used that campaign as a dry run in many ways I think.

Before this rally I specifically remember my cell phone not being able to get a signal because the towers in the center of Boston were overloaded[URL][/url]

Hey! That guy sounds a lot like...

*cough*

Hedgethorn on
  • ScreamlineScreamline Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

That is so fucking cool

2945954176_118868f8f9.jpg

It's getting harder and harder to not take this thing for granted.

Screamline on
  • NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Screamline wrote: »

That is so fucking cool

I saw that one the site, but I just now noticed the guy on the right reading a book.

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2008

Dress up as the old man, do the dance, drive 'em to the polling station, then dance some more in the station. It'll be like those commercials, except democratic.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
    edited October 2008
    Well, there's a reason they're switching to robocalls.

OptimusZed on

• mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    So has this been brought up yet?

Bottom line. McCain couldn't get cell phone reception at his Arizona house. So he got AT&T and Verizon to build towers for him. At his house. Personally.

http://gizmodo.com/5064372/att-and-verizon-built-special-cell-towers-at-john-mccains-house-to-fix-his-reception
    Cell reception sucks an elephant dong at John McCain's Arizona ranch. Or it did, until Cindy McCain "embarked on an expensive public process" for Verizon Wireless to build a permanent cell tower at their ranch, reports the Washington Post. That got scrapped, but Verizon did see fit to "navigate a lengthy county regulatory process that hit a snag on environmental concerns" in order to get the McCains setup with at least a portable tower, absolutely free of charge. AT&T caught word of this, and brought in one of their own towers, also free. Wouldn't ya know, there's a laundry list of ethical concerns? UPDATE: Verizon has responded to the claim, their statement below.

McCain is a senior member of the Senate Commerce Committee, which happens to oversee the FCC, which regulates the telecom industry—like AT&T and Verizon. Conflict of interest much? And it's not like McCain and Verizon are strangers to each other, anyway. Five of his campaign officials, including manager Rick Davis, have been soul-sucking lobbyists in Washington. A former staffer, Robert Fisher, is now Verizon's in-house lobbyist. Verizon chief Ivan G. Seidenberg, Fisher and other Verizon lobbyists have plowed over $1.3 million into McCain's campaign, and Verizon employmees are one of its top 20 corporate donors over the course of McCain's career.

The AT&T situation is as bad, or worse: AT&T lobbyists have raised $2.3 million for McCain, and their employees are his no. 3 corporate donors of all time. His Senate chief of staff Mark Buse, and a whole bunch of others have been AT&T lobbyists.

There's even more in the Post's exclusive story, it's worth checking out if you wanna find out how to get Verizon and AT&T to build personal cell towers at your house if your reception sucks (fair warning, it helps to be a presidential nominee though). [Washington Post]

Update: Verizon has issued a statement about the Washington Post story:

The Washington Post story regarding Verizon providing a cell tower to the McCain Ranch is wrong. Verizon received a request from Mrs. McCain, but declined. Subsequent to that, the Secret Service made a legitimate request for a temporary tower for its work and Verizon complied as is required by our contract with the agency. The Secret Service request, made on May 28, specifically said it needed the service urgently and requested that Verizon “explore every possible means of providing an alternative cellular or data communications source in the referenced area and provide any short term implementation of any type as a solution in the interim.”

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • DrakeonDrakeon Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    mxmarks wrote: »

Bottom line. McCain couldn't get cell phone reception at his Arizona house. So he got AT&T and Verizon to build towers for him. At his house. Personally.

http://gizmodo.com/5064372/att-and-verizon-built-special-cell-towers-at-john-mccains-house-to-fix-his-reception
    Cell reception sucks an elephant dong at John McCain's Arizona ranch. Or it did, until Cindy McCain "embarked on an expensive public process" for Verizon Wireless to build a permanent cell tower at their ranch, reports the Washington Post. That got scrapped, but Verizon did see fit to "navigate a lengthy county regulatory process that hit a snag on environmental concerns" in order to get the McCains setup with at least a portable tower, absolutely free of charge. AT&T caught word of this, and brought in one of their own towers, also free. Wouldn't ya know, there's a laundry list of ethical concerns? UPDATE: Verizon has responded to the claim, their statement below.

McCain is a senior member of the Senate Commerce Committee, which happens to oversee the FCC, which regulates the telecom industry—like AT&T and Verizon. Conflict of interest much? And it's not like McCain and Verizon are strangers to each other, anyway. Five of his campaign officials, including manager Rick Davis, have been soul-sucking lobbyists in Washington. A former staffer, Robert Fisher, is now Verizon's in-house lobbyist. Verizon chief Ivan G. Seidenberg, Fisher and other Verizon lobbyists have plowed over $1.3 million into McCain's campaign, and Verizon employmees are one of its top 20 corporate donors over the course of McCain's career.

The AT&T situation is as bad, or worse: AT&T lobbyists have raised $2.3 million for McCain, and their employees are his no. 3 corporate donors of all time. His Senate chief of staff Mark Buse, and a whole bunch of others have been AT&T lobbyists.

There's even more in the Post's exclusive story, it's worth checking out if you wanna find out how to get Verizon and AT&T to build personal cell towers at your house if your reception sucks (fair warning, it helps to be a presidential nominee though). [Washington Post]

The Washington Post story regarding Verizon providing a cell tower to the McCain Ranch is wrong. Verizon received a request from Mrs. McCain, but declined. Subsequent to that, the Secret Service made a legitimate request for a temporary tower for its work and Verizon complied as is required by our contract with the agency. The Secret Service request, made on May 28, specifically said it needed the service urgently and requested that Verizon “explore every possible means of providing an alternative cellular or data communications source in the referenced area and provide any short term implementation of any type as a solution in the interim.”

I think the Secret Service requested it actually. Thought I heard about it earlier in the last thread.

Drakeon on
    PSN: Drakieon XBL: Drakieon Steam: TheDrakeon
  • TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Feels like mountain out of molehill territory.

I can completely buy the Secret Service needing a tower as long as McCain is in the running, and do not begrudge AT&T or Verizon or whoever for complying with a great deal of haste.

In short, it sounds bad as a headline, but I personally see nothing wrong with it.

Taramoor on
  • ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited October 2008
    Nearly 48 years ago, a young woman, not yet 18, became pregnant in her freshman year of college. Living in a time and place in which abortion was generally illegal, she proceeded to marry the father of her child and gave birth to a son. Perhaps she would have done so irrespective of the abortion laws at the time, even if, say, she lived in a legal culture that celebrated abortion as a fundamental right. Very possibly not. (I haven’t found any statistics on the percentage of pregnant college freshmen who abort their pregnancies, but indirect indications suggest that it’s very high.)

Barack Obama may actually believe, as he stated yesterday, that Roe v. Wade “was rightly decided.” But it may be very lucky for him, as the son born of that woman, that it hadn’t been decided a dozen or so years earlier.

That Obama may owe his very life to a pre-Roe legal regime that banned abortion is, to be sure, not necessarily a reason that he should favor that regime (though I can’t help noting that Justice Thomas’s critics recklessly accuse him of hypocrisy for opposing racial-preference plans that they say he benefited from). But it ought to lead Obama and others to think more carefully about the valuable role that protective abortion laws play.
    :lol:

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    http://voices.washingtonpost.com/washingtonpostinvestigations/2008/10/exclusive_verizon_gave_cell_to.html

There's the actual Washington Post article.

I guess the S.S. did request Verizon's, but AT&T just built him one just because they wanted to.

Oh yeah, AT&T and its employees are #3 on the All-Time donations to McCain list.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    http://voices.washingtonpost.com/washingtonpostinvestigations/2008/10/exclusive_verizon_gave_cell_to.html

There's the actual Washington Post article.

I guess the S.S. did request Verizon's, but AT&T just built him one just because they wanted to.

Oh yeah, AT&T and its employees are #3 on the All-Time donations to McCain list.
    Meh?

I really don't see it going anywhere.

Thanatos on
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Damn those lucky poor people who pay no taxes. Damn them to hell!

Couscous on
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Because it's as sleep inducing as their candidate?

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
    edited October 2008

Ok this Joe guy needs to go away. And that ad was horrible, if that folksy news reel shit was intended its a horrible ad you can hardly see it.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited October 2008
    Elki wrote: »
    Nearly 48 years ago, a young woman, not yet 18, became pregnant in her freshman year of college. Living in a time and place in which abortion was generally illegal, she proceeded to marry the father of her child and gave birth to a son. Perhaps she would have done so irrespective of the abortion laws at the time, even if, say, she lived in a legal culture that celebrated abortion as a fundamental right. Very possibly not. (I haven’t found any statistics on the percentage of pregnant college freshmen who abort their pregnancies, but indirect indications suggest that it’s very high.)

Barack Obama may actually believe, as he stated yesterday, that Roe v. Wade “was rightly decided.” But it may be very lucky for him, as the son born of that woman, that it hadn’t been decided a dozen or so years earlier.

That Obama may owe his very life to a pre-Roe legal regime that banned abortion is, to be sure, not necessarily a reason that he should favor that regime (though I can’t help noting that Justice Thomas’s critics recklessly accuse him of hypocrisy for opposing racial-preference plans that they say he benefited from). But it ought to lead Obama and others to think more carefully about the valuable role that protective abortion laws play.
    :lol:

:rotate:

Wow that is some twisted logic right there.

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Yes, leading newspapers like Murdoch's Post and Richard Mellon Scaife's Tribune-Review...

Come on guys!

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

That is so fucking cool

I saw that one the site, but I just now noticed the guy on the right reading a book.

What the hell is that "Democrat McCain" sign in the window? It's not "Democrats for McCain", there's no s. If it's "Democrat for McCain", then it's hilarious. You couldn't find one other person to pluralize it?

Delzhand on
  • TostitosTostitos __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2008
    "I'm just a babe in the woods who doesn't understand how inflated registration rolls can translate into fraudulent votes. Mickey Mouse can't vote, so there is nothing to worry about. Stop concerning yourself with ACORN & their links to Obama... this is all smoke & mirrors generated by the vast right wing conspiracy."

Dude, you're as easy to see through as a sheet of Saran Wrap.

Tostitos on
    The internet gives me a native +2 bonus in Craft (Disturbing Mental Image).
    edited October 2008
    Delzhand wrote: »

That is so fucking cool

What the hell is that "Democrat McCain" sign in the window? It's not "Democrats for McCain", there's no s. If it's "Democrat for McCain", then it's hilarious. You couldn't find one other person to pluralize it?

Well its the kind of sign a single person would put up, I mean if you were advertising you were for mccain you wouldn't really call yourself a democrats.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited October 2008
    Tostitos wrote: »
    "I'm just a babe in the woods who doesn't understand how inflated registration rolls can translate into fraudulent votes. Mickey Mouse can't vote, so there is nothing to worry about. Stop concerning yourself with ACORN & their links to Obama... this is all smoke & mirrors generated by the vast right wing conspiracy."

Wait, what? Are you seriously that ignorant?

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited October 2008
    Delzhand wrote: »

That is so fucking cool

Its democrats, the angle of the sign + a fold in it is giving the illusion.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

You tell that...

um

That other guy in your post

you tell him right the hell off.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • TostitosTostitos __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2008

Wait, what? Are you seriously that ignorant?

You like throwing the false dichotomy out, much?

Tostitos on
    The internet gives me a native +2 bonus in Craft (Disturbing Mental Image).
This discussion has been closed.