As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The American Presidency: Obama does not believe in prevent defense

• CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalradar/2008/10/palin-praises-m.html
    "It's the choice between a politician who puts his faith in government and a leader who puts his faith in all of you," Palin told a crowd of thousands packed into an indoor airport hangar in Bangor, Maine, as a cold drizzle fell outside. "The choice between a politician who wants to raise taxes and redistribute your hard earned money according to his priorities, and a true reformer who wants to lower taxes and create jobs and get this economy back on track."

"It's the choice between a candidate who will raise your taxes, and that threatens our future, and a leader who's going to Washington to work for Joe the Plumber," Palin said. "You know, we want to cut taxes because we think like Joe or Jane the Plumber thinks, OK? Our opponents want to raise taxes because they think like that other Joe, that six-term senator from Delaware whom I'm running against."

Palin also criticized Obama for not condemning the actions of ACORN, an advocacy group that has been under fire for gathering and filing false voter registration forms. "In this election, it's a choice between a candidate who won't disavow a group committing voter fraud and a leader who will not tolerate the voter fraud," Palin told the crowd.

As she does regularly on the campaign trail, Palin chided the rival ticket for trying to "look to the past" by tying McCain to the Bush administration.

"As John McCain reminded Barack Obama last night, if he wanted to run against George Bush he had his chance four years ago," Palin said to strong applause. "This year the name on the ballot is John McCain, and America knows that John McCain is his own man."
    It is the choice between a repetitive speech and an awesome speech.

Couscous on
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I'm poor and I still pay taxes!

I wanna sign up for the not paying taxed thing!

kinda...

lonelyahava on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Tostitos wrote: »
    tsmvengy wrote: »
    "I'm just a babe in the woods who doesn't understand how inflated registration rolls can translate into fraudulent votes. Mickey Mouse can't vote, so there is nothing to worry about. Stop concerning yourself with ACORN & their links to Obama... this is all smoke & mirrors generated by the vast right wing conspiracy."

Dude, you're as easy to see through as a sheet of Saran Wrap.

Wait, what? Are you seriously that ignorant?

You like throwing the false dichotomy out, much?

What's the dichotomy between?

Ignorance and trolling?

I mean, you didn't even bother to explain how Mickey Mouse CAN vote.

Robos A Go Go on
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    So reports of Colon Powell endorsing soon were more smoke. I still say when he does endorse it will be McCain he swallowed party line enough to back that crooked asshole Stevens.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • TostitosTostitos __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2008
    You can't discount the subversive effort of vote registration fraud by pointing to the extreme cases. There is always some degree of clumsiness the more people you get involved. Hire stupid people, get stupid results. That's every organization on Earth.

The point about the non-existent addresses is this...how do we know they are non existent addresses? Because someone took the time to go out and check. Often times it's not the election officials doing this, it's local news crews. So how many addresses actually get checked? It's a numbers game. As someone already pointed out, the aggregious cases are the ones that attract attention and thus soak up the resources to investigate. So what if they don't count Mickey Mouse's ballot, they didn't catch the other 150 false addresses in that precinct.

If I have a common name like Joe Smith, I could probably go vote in every precinct I have lived in for the past 10 years. Who ever is going to know if I'm the same Joe Smith living on Mulberry Street and on Park Street.

The sad part is the fact that in many places like Chicago and Cleveland, the pole workers and watchers are the ones that will be using the fake registrations to vote. Many will be dead people who can't show up and many more will be cases of Mickey Mouse and the Dallas Cowboys happily voting away through them.

Tostitos on
    The internet gives me a native +2 bonus in Craft (Disturbing Mental Image).
  • HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    This Joe the Plumber guy is some great comic relief.

Hoz on
  • galenbladegalenblade Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Factoid Of The Day

Joe the Plumber has now had more press conferences than Sarah Palin.

galenblade on
    linksig.jpg
  • HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Many will be dead people who can't show up and many more will be cases of Mickey Mouse and the Dallas Cowboys happily voting away through them.

Who shows up to vote as these registered names? Hmm?

*grammatical edit

Houn on
  • RoundBoyRoundBoy Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    galenblade wrote: »
    Factoid Of The Day

Joe the Plumber has now had more press conferences than Sarah Palin.

Tina Fey playing Sarah Palin has had more press conferences then Sarah Palin

RoundBoy on
    sig_civwar.jpg
    Librarians harbor a terrible secret. Find it.
  • tachyontachyon Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    syndalis wrote: »
    Delzhand wrote: »
    Screamline wrote: »
    Medopine wrote: »
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    Community Organizer turns Biden rally into phonebanking shift.
    When local field organizer Christian Lund took the stage just prior to Joe Biden's appearance on Tuesday night in Marietta, he asked those in the attendant crowd of about 4,000 to look at the sheets in their hands. Each sheet held four names, and each name had a phone number and a bar code for later data scanning. Lund asked the people in the crowd to make four phone calls to this targeted group, and then he demonstrated.

Is this standard at this point? If it's not, it should be.

That is so fucking cool

2945954176_118868f8f9.jpg

It's getting harder and harder to not take this thing for granted.

I saw that one the site, but I just now noticed the guy on the right reading a book.

What the hell is that "Democrat McCain" sign in the window? It's not "Democrats for McCain", there's no s. If it's "Democrat for McCain", then it's hilarious. You couldn't find one other person to pluralize it?
    Its democrats, the angle of the sign + a fold in it is giving the illusion.

I've actually seen these in my neighborhood, the red script on the top left is 'Another'. I've seen variations such as 'Another Family for McCain'. So I believe the singular Democrat is correct, reading 'Another Democrat for McCain'

tachyon on
    edited October 2008
    You can't discount the subversive effort of vote registration fraud by pointing to the extreme cases. There is always some degree of clumsiness the more people you get involved. Hire stupid people, get stupid results. That's every organization on Earth.

The point about the non-existent addresses is this...how do we know they are non existent addresses? Because someone took the time to go out and check. Often times it's not the election officials doing this, it's local news crews. So how many addresses actually get checked? It's a numbers game. As someone already pointed out, the aggregious cases are the ones that attract attention and thus soak up the resources to investigate. So what if they don't count Mickey Mouse's ballot, they didn't catch the other 150 false addresses in that precinct.

If I have a common name like Joe Smith, I could probably go vote in every precinct I have lived in for the past 10 years. Who ever is going to know if I'm the same Joe Smith living on Mulberry Street and on Park Street.

The sad part is the fact that in many places like Chicago and Cleveland, the pole workers and watchers are the ones that will be using the fake registrations to vote. Many will be dead people who can't show up and many more will be cases of Mickey Mouse and the Dallas Cowboys happily voting away through them.

Fuck you leave the strippers alone.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Except no one has ever proved this has actually happened. Whereas Republican tactics to suppress the vote are well documented, and this is one of them. This is what the entire US Attorneys scandal was about, the Bush Administration trying to get (Republican appointed) US Attorneys to prosecute phony cases of voter fraud just before both the 2004 and 2006 elections and when they refused because they recognized there was no there there, they were fired. The goal is to intimidate poor and minority voters who registered via ACORN to think if they vote they'll be prosecuted for voting fraud.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
    edited October 2008
    Houn wrote: »
    Many will be dead people who can't show up and many more will be cases of Mickey Mouse and the Dallas Cowboys happily voting away through them.

*grammatical edit

Let's look at my full quote:

Oh my, I seem to have spelled 'poll' as 'pole'. Oh, the homo-erotic mirth.

Tostitos on
  • reminderGTOreminderGTO Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Couscous wrote: »
    http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalradar/2008/10/palin-praises-m.html
    "It's the choice between a politician who puts his faith in government and a leader who puts his faith in all of you," Palin told a crowd of thousands packed into an indoor airport hangar in Bangor, Maine, as a cold drizzle fell outside. "The choice between a politician who wants to raise taxes and redistribute your hard earned money according to his priorities, and a true reformer who wants to lower taxes and create jobs and get this economy back on track."

"It's the choice between a candidate who will raise your taxes, and that threatens our future, and a leader who's going to Washington to work for Joe the Plumber," Palin said. "You know, we want to cut taxes because we think like Joe or Jane the Plumber thinks, OK? Our opponents want to raise taxes because they think like that other Joe, that six-term senator from Delaware whom I'm running against."

Palin also criticized Obama for not condemning the actions of ACORN, an advocacy group that has been under fire for gathering and filing false voter registration forms. "In this election, it's a choice between a candidate who won't disavow a group committing voter fraud and a leader who will not tolerate the voter fraud," Palin told the crowd.

As she does regularly on the campaign trail, Palin chided the rival ticket for trying to "look to the past" by tying McCain to the Bush administration.

"As John McCain reminded Barack Obama last night, if he wanted to run against George Bush he had his chance four years ago," Palin said to strong applause. "This year the name on the ballot is John McCain, and America knows that John McCain is his own man."
    It is the choice between a repetitive speech and an awesome speech.

Why is she in Maine? They're really gunning for that ONE electoral vote aren't they? In some ways this is good, that they're not following the advice of that sane RedState poster who basically recommended the GOP focus on Senate races.

reminderGTO on
    28qsde.gifZOGBY projects McCain win with 400+ EVs28qsde.gif
  • JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    edited October 2008

*grammatical edit

So, you're implying a consipiracy between ACORN and... pollling place volunteers? o_O

Houn on
  • TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    the pole workers

Your voting locations sound much more interesting than mine. :winky:

On the topic of "the death of public financing", does anyone think this might change the kind of candidates we see? For example, would it make more sense for the Republicans to nominate more people like Palin, in an effort to get the base to crack open the wallets, or would a more middling position would still be better?

TheBlackWind on
    PAD ID - 328,762,218
    edited October 2008
    It also works in this manner:

The fraudulent registrations increase the number of potential voters. Near the end of the day some precincts will have an attorney call in with an "irregularity." This causes a judge to extend voting hours. The judges then receive a phone call with the number of "needed votes" they need to fraudulently produce. This is done in areas where both the Democrat and "Republican" judges are really greasy slimeballs with no morals or honor. They then vote the registrations of those who "didn't show up to vote."

One proof of this was the "hanging chads and dimpled chads" of Florida infamy in the 2000 election. You can only produce chad problems in one manner--by punching piles of cards at a time. It is completely impossible to do when punching one card in the normal manner. Impossible.

Many many people need to go to prison following every election. The Republic is nearly lost.

Tostitos on
  • PeekingDuckPeekingDuck __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2008
    Colon Powell sounds like a really awesome joke but there is no graphic to go along with it.

PeekingDuck on
    edited October 2008
    BWAH, HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!

Oh man, I'm laughing so hard there are tears in my eyes. Someone give this man a tinfoil award or something.

(Tostitos, that is.)

Houn on
    edited October 2008
    Colon Powell sounds like a really awesome joke but there is no graphic to go along with it.

Just chop off the ell and its like a good colonic.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    So looking at Ayers from 40 years ago is valid, but looking at the Keating scandal, Gramm and Bush and such is "looking into the past"?

Fencingsax on
    edited October 2008
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    So looking at Ayers from 40 years ago is valid, but looking at the Keating scandal, Gramm and Bush and such is "looking into the past"?

Republican strategy is at best extremely near sighted. They only see what the next talking point is.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited October 2008

Who said that? It's just more proof that politicians are corrupt sociopaths.

Tostitos on
    edited October 2008
    I'm getting the feeling you really liked Ron Paul, Tostitos?

enlightenedbum on
  • DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

The fraudulent registrations increase the number of potential voters. Near the end of the day some precincts will have an attorney call in with an "irregularity." This causes a judge to extend voting hours. The judges then receive a phone call with the number of "needed votes" they need to fraudulently produce. This is done in areas where both the Democrat and "Republican" judges are really greasy slimeballs with no morals or honor. They then vote the registrations of those who "didn't show up to vote."

One proof of this was the "hanging chads and dimpled chads" of Florida infamy in the 2000 election. You can only produce chad problems in one manner--by punching piles of cards at a time. It is completely impossible to do when punching one card in the normal manner. Impossible.

Many many people need to go to prison following every election. The Republic is nearly lost.

I call bullshit.

Derrick on
    Steam and CFN: Enexemander
    edited October 2008

Sarah Palin during the vp debate which was watched by 70 million people?

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited October 2008
    BWAH, HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!

Oh man, I'm laughing so hard there are tears in my eyes. Someone give this man a tinfoil award or something.

(Tostitos, that is.)

Except that I just described the main 'lawyer' technique that both Democrats and Republicans have used to steal elections. The lower level vote fraud with polling place operators examining the rolls at the end of the night and voting as those who didn't show or didn't vote mostly operates at city level, like Chicago.

I see that everyone else would rather pretend that an organization farming false registrations, one that had megabucks funneled to it's board members by an active candidate, is completely ordinary and nothing to be concerned about. This is like talking to Republicans on their forums back when they were stealing Florida. So much denial. :D

Tostitos on
  • galenbladegalenblade Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Another underutilized politician's name: Dick Armey.

galenblade on
    linksig.jpg
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Except that I just described the main 'lawyer' technique that both Democrats and Republicans have used to steal elections. The lower level vote fraud with polling place operators examining the rolls at the end of the night and voting as those who didn't show or didn't vote mostly operates at city level, like Chicago.
    Citation needed.

I see that everyone else would rather pretend that an organization farming false registrations
    They weren't farming them.

Couscous on
    edited October 2008

I see that everyone else would rather pretend that an organization farming false registrations, one that had megabucks funneled to it's board members by an active candidate, is completely ordinary and nothing to be concerned about. This is like talking to Republicans on their forums back when they were stealing Florida. So much denial. :D

You're in the wrong place buddy. We're all stocked up on crazy here.

PeekingDuck on
    edited October 2008
    Ras has a new Ohio poll out, it's the same as their last Ohio poll. 49-47 Obama.

enlightenedbum on
  • PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Another ND poll with Obama up

Many many people need to go to prison following every election.
    The Republic is nearly lost.

No. Just... no. Someone else handle this right wing urban legend spewer OK?

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
    edited October 2008
    Tostitos, when you believe that random elderly volunteers are organized as part of a grand system-wide conspiracy to steal elections, it's time to seek help. Professional. If not for yourself, than for the people that love you.

Because, c'mon. Old Ladies.

Houn on
    edited October 2008

You're in the wrong place buddy. We're all stocked up on crazy here.

After all, you're here right Peeking?

:P

enlightenedbum on
  • ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2008

*grammatical edit

How are strippers gay? I'm starting to suspect you don't know what homoerotic means and think Beethoven wrote Erotica.

Also, if I'm John Smith and want to vote as another John Smith, I won't need to register as him because he already has.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
    edited October 2008
    Tostitos, when you believe that random elderly volunteers are organized as part of a grand system-wide conspiracy to steal elections, it's time to seek help. Professional. If not for yourself, than for the people that love you.

Because, c'mon. Old Ladies.

Right. There are some old ladies working as election volunteers, therefore, any accusation of fraud means you are basically saying that it's an old lady conspiracy. Wait, what?

Tostitos on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Preacher wrote: »

Sarah Palin during the vp debate which was watched by 70 million people?
    Also during her speeches, like the one quoted.

Fencingsax on
  • kildykildy Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Hanging Chads are produced by faulty punch mechanisms. You CAN produce them by incorrectly using the devices by mass punching cards, but you can also produce them by having a simple machine flaw that is not completely pushing through and cutting the edges. A non sharp edge on every side, as it were.

Anyways, your logic is that this is a huge scheme and tons of people are coordinated to steal elections.

My logic: Never, ever been prosecuted.

Also, your conspiracy requires no voter registration fraud. You do not need fake voters in the 11th hour. You would use the voter roll you have and just check every name that didn't show up to vote since our turnout is low enough. Why use fake information when the real information is available and easy to use.

If your POLL WORKERS are corrupt, you have no need for a corrupted registration process. The reason I don't think ACORN is in on a global conspiracy is that they're the least efficient and most likely to be caught method of altering voting results.

kildy on
    edited October 2008
    Damn straight and I'm not giving up any of my crazy ground to some no talent hack. He probably doesn't even know who Edward Bernays is.

PeekingDuck on
This discussion has been closed.