As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Wii] de Blob: bringin on the pain(t)

• Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Because I was ready to pay €10 and up for games like the Wii Ware FF:CC or Lost Winds, I'd go straight to (gamer) hell if I wouldn't spend shy above double that amount for what looks to be a fun, decent platformer. Also, games like these need all the support they can get anyway.

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Vangu VegroVangu Vegro Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Got the game (and the figurine) yesterday, beat the first three levels, and loved every second of it.

And what was that I saw on Nickelodeon just now? "Fairly Odd Parents was brought to you by de Blob"?

Vangu Vegro on
    In my PC: Ryzom, Diablo III, Naruto Shippuden UNSR, The Old Republic
    In my 3DS: Super Smash Bros, AC New Leaf
    Last game completed: Steamworld Dig
  • Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I enjoy this game way to much. But as good as this game is, I willingly admit half the reason I play is for the cutscenes. (Undiluted Awesome.)

Road Block on
  • RotamRotam Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I'm gonna crack this open tomorrow.

Looking forward to it.

Rotam on
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I don't have a Wii, but I did play an earlier version of this game on the PC. It was the graduation project of students from Utrecht. The version I played was freeware and was only one level in the innercity of Utrecht. It was pretty awesome then. You can get it here.

Direct links:

Download De Blob Game [mirror 1] [mirror 2] (99 MB)

tl/dr: You can play a free demo of this game on your PC FOR FREE.

Aldo on
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    That does look fairly close, but it is lacking a lot of the final product's polish. Just so you know, in case it doesn't grab you, that the real game is significantly different. More packed, more three-dimensional, with more style.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
    edited October 2008
    The music in this game is too goddamn funky!

I really enjoyed playing this today.

Rotam on
  • NickleNickle Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Picked this up yesterday on a whim and finished the first two story levels (with the bonus missions).

I am officially addicted, and I couldn't really explain why.

It made for a good hangover cure.

Nickle on
    Xbox/PSN/NNID/Steam: NickleDL | 3DS: 0731-4750-6906
  • ArdeArde Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    This game is good - if you're a puzzle fan, platforming fan, or a katamari style game fan, this game rocks the socks of my boat.

Game starts out pretty easy, although by middle and later levels, you'll definitely feel some heat from the various challenges.
    The secret missions though, tough, definitely tough - they're really worth it though since they unlock some extra goodies like artworks and hilarious mini movies.

Camera's also really good - not Mario Galaxy good, but 2nd best I think.

And of course, the best praise goes for the tunes - definitely an excellent dynamic tune that changes depending on your accomplishments or downfalls.

Arde on
    Wii code:3004 5525 7274 3361
    XBL Gametag: mailarde

Screen Digest LOL3RZZ
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    This game is on its way from Gamefly! Can't wait!

urahonky on
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    This game looks entertaining.

A quick question, how intuitive are the controls? I'm thinking about picking the game up for my parents for christmas (an odd turn around, me buying them a game...) but they aren't exactly hardcore gamer folk. So if the controls are too complex...

Edit: I should note that I don't have a Wii, so the ideal solution of "rent it and find out" isn't exactly doable.

see317 on
    edited October 2008
    Well, the analog stick moves you around, A is for activating challenges and holding it shows your radar, with B you can stop moving, and Z is for targeting things.
    Jumping is done by swinging the Wiimote down, + pauses and - unpauses and skips cutscenes.

Wouldn't call it complex, but the jumps can be a bit temperamental, and the way de Blob moves when sticking to a wall can take a bit of getting used to.

Vangu Vegro on
  • ruzkinruzkin Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Yeah, the jump mechanics are very suspect. I often leap around with no idea of where I'm going to bounce to next. It doesn't detract TOO much, because the time limits are always so generous, but even so. It's the only point of contention I have with the game.

ruzkin on
    g4OlSIF.jpg
  • ArdeArde Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    see317 wrote: »
    This game looks entertaining.

A quick question, how intuitive are the controls? I'm thinking about picking the game up for my parents for christmas (an odd turn around, me buying them a game...) but they aren't exactly hardcore gamer folk. So if the controls are too complex...

Edit: I should note that I don't have a Wii, so the ideal solution of "rent it and find out" isn't exactly doable.

It's definitely a casual game although if your parents aren't fans of puzzle games, platformers, or Katamari style games, I doubt they'll be interested playing this.

Arde on
    Wii code:3004 5525 7274 3361
    XBL Gametag: mailarde

Screen Digest LOL3RZZ
    edited October 2008
    I am ashamed of PA now. This game is absolutely fantastic, and it's getting no buzz at all.

urahonky on
  • FireWeaselFireWeasel Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    urahonky wrote: »
    I am ashamed of PA now. This game is absolutely fantastic, and it's getting no buzz at all.

I was thinking the same thing and wondering why it wasn't doing well here.

I mean sure it's kinda simplistic but it's like this weird mix of Jet Set Radio and Katamari.

And it's glorious.

FireWeasel on
    AC:CL Wii -- 3824-2125-9336 City: Felinito Me: Nick
    edited October 2008
    FireWeasel wrote: »

I mean sure it's kinda simplistic but it's like this weird mix of Jet Set Radio and Katamari.

And it's glorious.

That's the best way to explain it: Jet Set Radio meets Katamari. That and glorious.

We're always praising great unique games... And when one comes out, everyone here seems to ignore it. What gives?

urahonky on
  • psyck0psyck0 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    All right. You've convinced me. I'll pick this up when I get Guitar Hero WT at the end of the month.

psyck0 on
    Play Smash Bros 3DS with me! 4399-1034-5444
    steam_sig.png
    edited October 2008
    You will not be disappointed. Man... The music is amazing!

urahonky on
  • FireWeaselFireWeasel Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    You will not be disappointed. Man... The music is amazing!

It is! I'm loathe to listen to the soundtrack CD that came with it simply because it would taint my opportunity to experience it all first-hand in the game.

I've read complaints that it is repetitive -- hell, all you do is smack into things to paint them -- which is fair, sure, but it's just so damn...satisfying. I think it appeals to that obsessive-compulsive part of most of us gamers where you have to Paint Every Goddamn Thing, and that you can a) hear music while doing so and b) mix up paint to make your own tune, essentially, is fantastic.

It's relatively actiony, but it's somehow also fairly relaxing in some strange way.

FireWeasel on
    AC:CL Wii -- 3824-2125-9336 City: Felinito Me: Nick
    edited October 2008
    Yeah I spent about 40 minutes on the first level because I was down to 99% painted. I still didn't find that 1% but I don't really care. :P I'll go back and do it because I get to hear the music.

urahonky on
  • slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I bought this game. Because of this thread.

But I have not yet had time to play it!

slash000 on
  • darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I want to buy this game but it's sold out at the TRU online store.

Now I have no choice but to go into the local store tonight or tomorrow and get it with the buy 2 get 1 deal. It will still be going on tomorrow right?

darunia106 on
    pHWHd2G.jpg
  • earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    MMmmm.

I want this game but it's just going to have to wait for now. Damn recession...

earthwormadam on
    edited October 2008
    FireWeasel wrote: »

And it's glorious.

That's the best way to explain it: Jet Set Radio meets Katamari. That and glorious.

We're always praising great unique games... And when one comes out, everyone here seems to ignore it. What gives?

I felt this way since it came out and tried my best here. But I'm kind of used to amazing stuff getting passed over by now.

Addictive genius in its simplicity with the best music I've heard in a long time.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
    edited October 2008
    Indeed on all accounts. I'm bringing it over to my gf's house to see how she likes it.

urahonky on
  • slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    You still haven't bought it yet, have you, urahonky?

slash000 on
  • AmpixAmpix Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    This game is great for my OCD. The second level? I painted everything, did all the challenges, saved all the little guys and used as much green (I LOVE the green in this game) as possible.

And it was glorious.

Ampix on
    steam_sig.png
  • ruzkinruzkin Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Ampix - hitting 100% in the third level took me three tries. 90 mins each try :( Goodbye grades!

ruzkin on
    g4OlSIF.jpg
    edited October 2008
    I beat this over the weekend. Mind you, I'm not OCD enough to paint everything. I only ever done enough to get a gold medal in the levels. The lack of variety in the challenges started to get on my nerves a little bit.

It was a very enjoyable game nonetheless. I hope they make a sequel and flesh the challenges out a little bit more. It has a lot of potential as a new IP.

I just hope THQ/Blue tongue decides to do another one.

Rotam on
  • DavoidDavoid Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Is... is the main antagonist named "Conrad Black"?

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
    edited October 2008
    Davoid wrote: »

Close, but it's actually "Comrade Black".

Vangu Vegro on
    edited October 2008
    slash000 wrote: »
    You still haven't bought it yet, have you, urahonky?

I have to stretch my dollar. :( But I'm seriously considering clicking the "Keep It!" from Gamefly.

urahonky on
  • DavoidDavoid Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Davoid wrote: »

Close, but it's actually "Comrade Black".

Ah, ok, I was like "Wow, that's a pretty harsh reference" otherwise.

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
    edited October 2008
    So I was playing some of the additional stuff to the first level, where you had to colour the buildings a specific colour. It was a pretty cool puzzle, and the second one definitely made me scratch my had for a second. I hope there will be more of these, and harder too!

Ampix on
    steam_sig.png
    edited October 2008
    So yeah... Red > all the other colors.

urahonky on
    edited October 2008
    So yeah... Red > all the other colors.

Green>Red>Yellow>Orange>Blue>Purple>Brown

Ampix on
    steam_sig.png
    edited October 2008
    I think that, IMO, after red... It matters what song you have playing. Brown with Funky selected sounds awesome. Green with Euphoria selected sounds amazing. :)

urahonky on
  • NickleNickle Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I am disappointed how low purple is on that list.

I love me some purple.

Always so funky.

Then green, then red.

Nickle on
    Xbox/PSN/NNID/Steam: NickleDL | 3DS: 0731-4750-6906
    edited October 2008
    I'm a fan of yellow. Isn't yellow the one that has the girls singing in the first level? When I first played it that made me smile.

UncleSporky on