As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Wii] de Blob: bringin on the pain(t)

13»

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I'm a fan of yellow. Isn't yellow the one that has the girls singing in the first level? When I first played it that made me smile.

That's red. And that's why I love red, just for the first song listed. :)

e: Yellow has the flutes on the first song.

urahonky on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    urahonky wrote: »
    I'm a fan of yellow. Isn't yellow the one that has the girls singing in the first level? When I first played it that made me smile.

That's red. And that's why I love red, just for the first song listed. :)

e: Yellow has the flutes on the first song.

Oh yeah. I like flutes too, and that first moment of switching colors was special also.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    De Blob get!

Holy crap why did I wait so long? I was only able to play through the first two areas of the first level but man was it a ton of fun. I love the awesome, upbeat music that changes as you play. I love the paint everything gist of the game as any game where you can actually see yourself getting better (or closer to the end of the game) makes this game several kinds of awesome. I love how cute the citizens are and how awesome De Blob looks. I love the "Row Row fight the powah!" type storyline. I love being able to bounce off walls.

But yeah, this game is not getting nearly enough buzz around the forums. Also, haven't really played enough to pick a color's tune I like but I do so love blue.

darunia106 on
    pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I'm renting it this weekend. I'm leary of buying games I haven't played as I'm terrified of wasting $50. This weekend will be a Wii game rent-a-thon though as I've only bought one game (the only game I've played on Wii).

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    AmpixAmpix Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    In my defense, the colour list was just relating to the actual looks. I haven't played enough of the game to really decide on the music, but I really do like red's trumpets.

I really hate/love the soundtrack. On the one hand, I want it in my iTunes, but it really only works when playing the game, and then it works fantastically.

Ampix on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I'm renting it this weekend. I'm leary of buying games I haven't played as I'm terrified of wasting $50. This weekend will be a Wii game rent-a-thon though as I've only bought one game (the only game I've played on Wii).

Well worth the rental. Each level takes me about an hour or so (when I get to about 98% painted, but can't find the other spots... So I give up) and I am on stage 6 (no idea how long the game is).

I hate when you get inked :( the music gets really slow and it takes a little bit till it picks up again.

urahonky on
  • Options
    VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I'm so excited about getting this. The next 72 hours of my life will be nothing but Wii.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    AmpixAmpix Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I'm so excited about getting this. The next 72 hours of my life will be nothing but Wii.

Ehh, don't get your hopes up too much. While I really do love the game, I think it's best played casually. Playing this for longer than an hour at a time can get pretty drab I think...

Ampix on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Yeah I do a level then save and quit and come back to it later. It's not one of those burn-through-the-levels kinda game. It's best taken casually. However, since you have other Wii games you can jump back and forth without a problem.

urahonky on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Ampix wrote: »

Ehh, don't get your hopes up too much. While I really do love the game, I think it's best played casually. Playing this for longer than an hour at a time can get pretty drab I think...

I think he was talking about how he was renting a lot of games at once, and this is among them. So he'll be fine. :)

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    So far, I'm quite impressed by de Blob. Some random thoughts:

- There've been some complaints before in this thread about having to shake the remote to make de Blob jump. I definitely agree that the developers should have at least made the option available to switch some of the control buttons, but then, the game doesn't really demand perfect precision from the player (at least up to stage 5, where I'm right now) and the somewhat floaty jump controls actually fit the style of gameplay in my opinion.

- The story mode is split up into stages and challenges that you have to complete in order to progress. Some of the stages are rather large, and can take an hour or two to complete (at least when aiming for the 100% percentage rate). In every stage there are 4 different colored types of missions : For example, green wants you to paint buildings in a specific color, blue mission are checkpoint races, in brown mission you have to transform structures by collecting the asked amout of the one special type of colour, and orange wants you to destroy a number of enemies. While green and blue missions can be rather entertaining and sometimes rather challenging (each mission has a challenge rate represented by 3 stars), the brown and especially the orange ones are for the most part unispired and get tiresome quickly. You don't necessarily have to do every mission in a stage, but if you want to advance quickly or when you really want those 100%, there's no way around it. Overally though the stages are very nicely designed and it's fun exploring every corner of the map (and you have to, given the number of hidden collectables).

- The challenge levels that you unlock when beating a stage can be very clever and entertaining, and many required multiple tries before I could finish them (for the gold medal mind you). So far, I had the most fun with these.

- The presentation is also top-notch, as others have noted before. I really like those cute Inkies.

More to come later.

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    ruzkinruzkin Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Ampix wrote: »
    urahonky wrote: »
    So yeah... Red > all the other colors.

Green>Red>Yellow>Orange>Blue>Purple>Brown

Lies. Brown on some moods plays a man skatting, which is the greatest soundtrack to a game ever.

Yellow is also a fave of mine.

Anyone else find themselves painting strings of buildings in appealing patterns just because they can?

ruzkin on
    g4OlSIF.jpg
  • Options
    psyck0psyck0 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Woo! Getting this tomorrow!

psyck0 on
    Play Smash Bros 3DS with me! 4399-1034-5444
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I need to work on beating this today. I'm near the end, but Fable 2, Star Wars: The Force Unleashed, and The World Ends With You landed in my lap recently.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Bought'd, and it rocks. You guys were right.

psyck0 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Glad you like it psyck0 :)

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Yeah. I am now advertising it in my sig.

If you own a Wii, and are reading this thread, and haven't played this game, GO DO SO POST-HASTE!

psyck0 on
    steam_sig.png