As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

(Dark, Mighty, New) Avengers Assemble! Long Live the Dark Reign

CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
edited May 2009 in Graphic Violence
AVENGERS ASSEMBLE!

Secret Invasion #8 is out. The war is over. Dark Reign has begun.
Secret Invasion Aftermath

Newsarama Interviews Bendis about ending SI and Dark Reign.

Tie Ins:
  • Avengers: The Initiative #14-19
  • Black Panther #39-41
  • Captain Britain & MI13 #1-4
  • Deadpool #1-3
  • Guardians of the Galaxy #4-6
  • Incredible Hercules #117-120
  • Iron Man #33-35
  • Mighty Avengers #12-19
  • Ms. Marvel #28-30
  • New Avengers #40-47
  • New Warriors #14-15
  • Nova #16-18
  • Punisher War Journal #24-25
  • Secret Invasion: Amazing Spider-Man #1-3
  • Secret Invasion: Fantastic Four #1-3
  • Secret Invasion: Front Line #1-5
  • Secret Invasion: Inhumans #1-4
  • Secret Invasion: Runaways/Young Avengers #1-3
  • Secret Invasion: Thor #1-3
  • Secret Invasion: X-Men #1-4
  • Secret Invasion: Who Do You Trust? One-Shot
  • She-Hulk #31-33
  • Skrulls vs. Power Pack #1-4
  • Thunderbolts #122-125
  • X-Factor #33-34

The (Important) Dead
Janet Pym
Queen Veranke
Many Pym Skrulls

The Returned
  • Hank Pym
  • Bobbi Morse/Mockingbird
  • Elektra
  • Jessica Drew/Spider-Woman
  • Dum Dum Dugan
  • Contessa Allegra de Fontaine
  • Quasar, as an energy being

Loose Ends

It seems anything discussed about the Infinity Gems was a ruse, except maybe not.

Skrull survivors on Earth, both in captivity and on the loose.

The Dark Reign Begins
  1. Tony Stark is a global pariah, but is also a target along with Maria Hill because of who they are/what they know -- specifically Tony still has the true identities of all registered superhumans, and Osborne wants it. He won't give it to Norman, and this begins the World's Most Wanted arc in Invincible Iron Man. They are on the run with Pepper backing them and trying to hold Stark Industries together with spit and duct tape.

2. S.H.I.E.L.D. is being disbanded. However, the Secret Warriors preview indicates the presence of the Howling Commandos PMC, which is most likely the parts of SHIELD Dugan trusts and who remain loyal to them. Fury will most likely use them with or without Dugan's knowledge of Fury as his client.

3. Norman Osborne controls damn near everything, including SHIELD , the Avengers, the Initiative, and it seems every government super-related entity from CSA to O*N*E. It becomes a global task force with the acronym, HAMMER.

4. Osborne forms a cabal of persons of interest composed of himself, Loki, Dr. Doom, Namor, The Hood and Emma Frost. The intent is to give them what they all want in a controlled and publicly/politically-palatable form.

5. The United Nations is beginning a tribunal of its own into the invasion. It's also had to reorganize its security apparatus around the disbanding of SHIELD and that has affected Captain America.

6. The Mighty Avengers are no longer the premiere team of the 50 State Initiative. They are global in reach and scope, and operate out of a base outside the United States. Hank Pym is the leader.

7. The new Captain Marvel is incredibly powerful. I forgot how powerful Mar-Vell was when he was around. He becomes a member of the Avengers--featured in the Dark Avengers book--which is the official Avengers team controlled by Osborne and replacing Tony's Mighty Avengers.

8. Ben Urich coins the term "Dark Reign" to refer to Osborne's new position of power.

9. War of Kings arises directly out of the Inhumans' war with the Skrulls and their union with the Kree Empire. The Kree Armada, or a large part of it, helped destroy the Skrull Armada in Earth orbit, and then went home to be crippled by the Inhumans flying the city of Attilan to the Kree Empire and using Black Bolt as a weapon to destroy their ships. The Inhumans then go on to take control of the Kree Empire with Black Bolt as the king. The Inhumans also destroyed all of the Skrull survivors before they attacked the Kree. The last Skrull ships they destroyed slipped into Shi'ar space, and Shi'ar ships were destroyed by the Inhumans as well. Now, it's war.

10. Teddy (of the Young Avengers) now has to directly confront his role as the heir apparent to the Skrull Empire given the revelation to him that there isn't much of an empire left. But his possible subject still on/around Earth are probably going to be locked up in 42 with the Sakaarians from WWH.

11. The Nova Corps has been reinstated and is using Project Pegasus and its staff as its new base of operations.

12. War Machine now has a giant mecha-satellite in orbit and no one to swear allegiance to but himself.

13. Norman Osborne neutralizes Ms. Marvel's powers after she refuses to join his (Dark) Avengers team. She and the Punisher are both gunning for him for their own reasons. Hers involves a conspiracy in which he and the CIA have created an enemy to oppose, and because Carol is in the way she is now marked for death.

14. SWORD will remain in existence, but it's been mostly destroyed and Agent Brand would be far from likely to remain the director.

15. The Thunderbolts remain as Osborne's personal black ops/hit squad. Regular members are Black Widow II (Yelena Belova), Ghost, Paladin, Headsman, and the Irredeemable Ant-Man (Eric O'Grady). Other members join as necessary.

16. Dark Avengers: Iron Patriot (Norman Osborne), The Sentry, Ares, Captain Marvel (Noh-Varr), Hawkeye (Bullseye), Ms. Marvel (Moonstone), Spider-man (Venom), Wolverine (Daken).

17. Mighty Avengers: Wasp (Hank Pym), Jocasta, Scarlet Witch, U.S. Agent, Hercules and Amadeus Cho, Iron Man, Hulk (Banner), Vision, and Stature.

18. New Avengers: Captain America (Barnes), Ronin, Mockingbird, Wolverine, Luke Cage, Ms. Marvel (Carol Danvers), Spider-Woman, Spider-Man
  19. Black Panther is now a woman, who succeeds T'Challa afer he is ambushed during a meeting with Namor in Latveria and barely makes it home to Wakanda (which is not a target of Osborne and his Cabal) alive.
    The Black Panther #1 cover by Ken Lashley shows Echo as the new Black Panther. An ad in the back of Punisher #1 asks if the new BP is Monica Rambeau and shows her face unveiled in the BP costume. Questions abound!

Ongoing and Future Dark Reign Reading List for 2009

Agents of Atlas
Avengers: The Initiative
Dark Avengers
Mighty Avengers
New Avengers
Secret Warriors
Thunderbolts

Black Panther
Deadpool
Ms. Marvel
Incredible Herc
Invincible Iron Man
Punisher
War Machine
Wovlerine: Origins
Spider-Woman: Agent of SWORD

More as it becomes clear (e.g., ASM, Cap, possibly Moon Knight.)

IGN has a whole Dark Reign minisite with a collection of covers here. It is the most comprehensive site to date.

Crimsondude on

• NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    ohs shit fsbitches be green!

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I like how you have all these heroes and then down in the corner is Mac Gargan Venom.

Clint Eastwood on
  • LilithiumLilithium __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2008
    I loved the iPod with the Skrull app in the new Frontline.

Lilithium on
    What's that ringing? Ting-ting-a-linging in my head~? Oh, you're always there, making me whole. You're always waiting up for me. You're my first kiss, ever so pure, and ever so defiling, once lost, can never be the same. Fuck me. Violate me. Deny me.
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Eh, From what I read, Frontline is not bad. Nothing great, but not bad.

Fencingsax on
  • delphinusdelphinus Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Cloudman wrote: »
    I like how you have all these heroes and then down in the corner is Mac Gargan Venom.

i would assume that he would be first in line to eat skrull brains

delphinus on
  • psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I'd love to know that Kl'rt does with his time when he's not appearing in cross-over events, the Skrulls hate him, everybody who wasn't in the Annihilation cross-over hates him. Does he just spend his days going onto space bars and starting shit with random people for the hell of it.

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    quite possibly. rick remender should write a super skrull pub crawl mini.

DouglasDanger on
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Anyone hoping that Wanda will show up in issue 7?

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • frayfray Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    No. Noone is.

fray on
    "I told you," said Ford. "Eddies in the space-time continuum."
    "And this is his sofa, is it?" said Arthur.
  • VirralVirral Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    And yet, I suspect she'll be turning up sooner or later.

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Everyone on the ship that crashed in the Savage Land including Mockingbird :-(

I'm still furious about this. I will never not be.

spookymuffin on
    PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
  • Dareth RamDareth Ram regular
    edited October 2008
    he played with your heart strings and you bought it. sucker.

Dareth Ram on
  • FCDFCD Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Agreed, having at least one of them be the real deal would have been a great way to make the whole Savage Land insident more than just an obvious diversion to keep the heroes busy. But nope!

FCD on
    Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!
  • FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    delphinus wrote: »
    Cloudman wrote: »

i would assume that he would be first in line to eat skrull brains

Well, he has to kick the ass out of Venom-Skrull up front.

Also, I don't think Wanda will be showing up until after SI. Probably fairly soon after, but still.

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
  • Dareth RamDareth Ram regular
    edited October 2008
    FCD wrote: »

Agreed, having at least one of them be the real deal would have been a great way to make the whole Savage Land insident more than just an obvious diversion to keep the heroes busy. But nope!
    Making any one of the heroes on that ship a skrull would have been a terrible retcon of that character.

Dareth Ram on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Yes, all those West Coast Avengers fans would never forgive Bendis.

Robos A Go Go on
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I wonder if Bendis will go with a House of M-style ending with Secret Invasion. Gigantic battle in issue 7, aftermath in issue 8.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I count myself as a WCA fan, and I wouldn't have minded.

Crimsondude on
  • FCDFCD Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Dareth Ram wrote: »
    FCD wrote: »

Making any one of the heroes on that ship a skrull would have been a terrible retcon of that character.

I didn't mean the A listers, obviously. That would muck things up too much. But the B listers and bellow, like Mockingbird, could have been slipped back in without any fuss.

FCD on
    Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!
  • spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I just want Clint to have one good thing in his life, instead of constantly getting his balls twisted with a pair of vice grips.

spookymuffin on
    PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
  • Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    welp, someone got a hold of NA early

it looks like
    the Hood's Hood is controlled by Dormammu in some way

kind of odd, when you look back at his origins, but okay

Sars_Boy on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Sars_Boy wrote: »
    welp, someone got a hold of NA early

it looks like
    the Hood's Hood is controlled by Dormammu in some way

kind of odd, when you look back at his origins, but okay
    Well, they obviously want him to become a Strange villain, so I guess the progression makes sense from a meta standpoint

Fencingsax on
    edited October 2008
    Is a Strange ongoing in the works?

Robos A Go Go on
    edited October 2008
    Not exactly.
    Bendis has said that there will be an exploration following SI of who has become the new Sorceror Supreme in place of Dr. Strange.

I hope it's Brother Voodoo.

EDIT: Respoiled, but only if TLB does the same with his post.

Crimsondude on
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    whoa wait a minute

strange isn't sorceror supreme anymore?

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
    edited October 2008
    That's um... pretty big news. Is that confirmed or just speculation?

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Virral wrote: »
    That's um... pretty big news. Is that confirmed or just speculation?

It comes from the mouth of Bendis himself and he says the implications of it will be dealt with in New Avengers

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited October 2008
    Well perhaps everyone except me knew all about it but personally that feels like the sort of thing that belonged behind spoiler tags, that's all.

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
    edited October 2008
    Well, the genie's out of the bottle.

Crimsondude on
    edited October 2008
    Yay?

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
    edited October 2008
    More like that was going to be my pithy excuse for not retconning my post, but I decided to after all.

Crimsondude on
  • SlagmireSlagmire Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Though he's still Sorcerer Supreme currently right? Or was it over after the
    deal/use of Zom?

Slagmire on
    edited October 2008
    Slagmire wrote: »
    Though he's still Sorcerer Supreme currently right? Or was it over after the
    deal/use of Zom?

The latter

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited October 2008
    Godsdamn it, Bendis.

Fencingsax on
    edited October 2008
    Oh really, I wasn't aware of that. It better not be for long, though. Unless the new Sorcerer Supreme is Doom.

Fencingsax on
    edited October 2008
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Oh really, I wasn't aware of that. It better not be for long, though. Unless the new Sorcerer Supreme is Doom.

Doom is the second in line, isn't he?

Robos A Go Go on
  • frayfray Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Forgive my ignorance but what difference does it actually make whether he is or isn't?

fray on
    "I told you," said Ford. "Eddies in the space-time continuum."
    "And this is his sofa, is it?" said Arthur.
    edited October 2008
    fray wrote: »
    Forgive my ignorance but what difference does it actually make whether he is or isn't?

Cause Doom kicks ass. Also, He will screw with the rulers of hell just because.

Edit:If you were talking about Strange, protecting this dimension from mystical threats is kind of his thing, and that's really because he is Sorcerer Supreme.

Fencingsax on
    edited October 2008
    Being the Sorcerer Supreme comes with a lot of responsibility

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    And some natty threads.

Wildcat on
This discussion has been closed.