As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Dutch court convicts 2 teens of stealing virtual items.

KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
edited November 2008 in Debate and/or Discourse
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081021/ap_on_fe_st/eu_netherlands_virtual_theft

The jist is this.

A 15 year old and a 14 year old conned a 13 year old to give them some Runescape items under false pretenses.

So somehow this made it to a judge who called this theft and convicted the two older kids to community service, 200 hours for the 15 year old and 160 for the 14 year old.

My question is this: should this be a law for the US as well and what would the maximum penalty be if you think so?

More importantly, how would this affect MMOs, if at all?

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
Kagera on

• Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Kagera wrote: »
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081021/ap_on_fe_st/eu_netherlands_virtual_theft

The jist is this.

A 15 year old and a 14 year old conned a 13 year old to give them some Runescape items under false pretenses.

So somehow this made it to a judge who called this theft and convicted the two older kids to community service, 200 hours for the 15 year old and 160 for the 14 year old.

My question is this: should this be a law for the US as well and what would the maximum penalty be if you think so?

More importantly, how would this affect MMOs, if at all?

I don't think it should be law because the 'virtual items' in game technically belong to the company providing the service. Regardless of that, if virtual items are enforceable property, do you get to file suit when a server goes down, not allowing you access to your property? What about a database failure, deleting your property? I'd rather there be no legislation covering in-game items because I don't see how it could ever be anything but a limiting factor for the games.

Nova_C on
  • lizard eats flieslizard eats flies Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Part of the point of playing games like MMOs is to be able to do stuff you cant do in real life. Like be the thief and go steal everyones stuff. It starts to get trickier when these 'cons' start to merge over into real life as I know they many times do. I can see if someone obtains your password and steals all your stuff that it could be considered theft. But if people are using standard mechanics in game, then I think thats best dealt with through GMs and other in game policing.

lizard eats flies on
  • Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I thought the Dutch just taxed stuff. I didn't think they actually had any real laws.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I thought the Dutch just taxed stuff. I didn't think they actually had any real laws.
    Of course we do. We made soft drugs and prostitution mandatory, remember? We also have a fine industry in the noble art of murdering babies and the only valid marriages over here are gay ones. :P

As should be obvious, two of the three majority parties right now are Christian.

WotanAnubis on
  • mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Nova_C wrote: »
    I don't think it should be law because the 'virtual items' in game technically belong to the company providing the service. Regardless of that, if virtual items are enforceable property, do you get to file suit when a server goes down, not allowing you access to your property? What about a database failure, deleting your property? I'd rather there be no legislation covering in-game items because I don't see how it could ever be anything but a limiting factor for the games.

This. Giving virtual items in a game legal status outside that game leads to all kinds of quirky bullshit, and really isn't worth it. I can think of very few situations in which it's appropriate to pursue such a case, and this is not one of them. This should be handled through the company running the game.
    Part of the point of playing games like MMOs is to be able to do stuff you cant do in real life. Like be the thief and go steal everyones stuff. It starts to get trickier when these 'cons' start to merge over into real life as I know they many times do. I can see if someone obtains your password and steals all your stuff that it could be considered theft. But if people are using standard mechanics in game, then I think thats best dealt with through GMs and other in game policing.

Exactly.

There's really very little else to say on this subject. The entire idea is ludicrous to begin with.

mcdermott on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Sometimes people like to emphasize the ridiculous aspects of a case to make a story more entertaining (McDonald's sued over hot coffee!), so I'd like to know the details before passing judgment. I mean, maybe how they actually got the items is significant.

Robos A Go Go on
  • WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I mean, maybe how they actually got the items is significant.
    According to Dutch news, the two older kids abused the younger and forced him to hand over the items.

WotanAnubis on
  • IsornIsorn Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Seems that article left out some rather important facts.

Dutch news reported that the kid was beaten and kicked in order to force him to hand over his login details. They also threatened him with a knife.

Isorn on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Well, there you go. Bitches got off easy.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited October 2008
    Sometimes people like to emphasize the ridiculous aspects of a case to make a story more entertaining (McDonald's sued over hot coffee!), so I'd like to know the details before passing judgment. I mean, maybe how they actually got the items is significant.

The only way I can see this is maybe if the fraud was perpetrated in person, or possibly if the virtual items in question carried a specific monetary value (as in, you paid the developers for access to those specific items...I'm thinking about things along the line of cards in M:tG online, or something...not sure how that game actually works, though).

Otherwise? It still sounds like this case is giving virtual items in an MMO legal status in meatspace, which is retarded. I'm sorry, your Bow of Almighty Whupass is not real, has no value outside your computer, and if I take it from you you should have no recourse against me. Except through the company running the MMO.

mcdermott on
  • KazhiimKazhiim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2008
    so theft is a higher crime than assault in dutchland? Because the judge probably should have gone with the tougher penalty.

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
    edited October 2008

Dutch news reported that the kid was beaten and kicked in order to force him to hand over his login details. They also threatened him with a knife.

That still just makes it assault (with a weapon, no less), not theft.

Because, again, the latter gives virtual items legal status in the real court system, which is problematic at best. Kids should still be in prison, but not for theft.

For the assault with a deadly weapon.

Or possibly for some form of fraud/unauthorized access relating to logging in as him, if they used his login details.

See, all of these things are very legally distinct. Adding "theft" to the charges might seem like a good idea, but again you start getting into issues of legal precedent and what the long-term ramifications are of granting virtual items real legal status.

mcdermott on
    edited October 2008
    Isorn wrote: »

See, now with this I would rather they just get them on the threats and stuff. And they seem to have gotten off easy. This is possibly what the courts DID do, but the article makes it seem like they are starting to give legal status to virtual items, which in most cases I can see as being dangerous.

lizard eats flies on
  • ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2008
    mcdermott wrote: »

The only way I can see this is maybe if the fraud was perpetrated in person, or possibly if the virtual items in question carried a specific monetary value (as in, you paid the developers for access to those specific items...I'm thinking about things along the line of cards in M:tG online, or something...not sure how that game actually works, though).

Otherwise? It still sounds like this case is giving virtual items in an MMO legal status in meatspace, which is retarded. I'm sorry, your Bow of Almighty Whupass is not real, has no value outside your computer, and if I take it from you you should have no recourse against me. Except through the company running the MMO.

This gets more complicated when you remember that money is electronic as often as solid, an a computer program can be a valuable and expensive tool (look at what Photoshop'll run you).

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • DmanDman Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I'd have to read the terms of service of this game, but assuming they are sane the items in question were, are, and always will be property of the company providing the service as Nova_C said already.

If Blizzard decides to delete my world of warcraft characters, I'm not entitled to fuck all because it says right in the terms of service that it was never my character to begin with. If some other party fucks over my character I'm still not entitled to anything, but blizzard can go after them for breaking the terms of service or hacking blizzard servers or whatever.

I know there are some games where you can pay real cash for in game items legitimately. I'd be interested to see how they word such a "sale". If I pay cash to the service provider for an in game item, and then someone takes that item away from my in game character via conning me, then maybe they should be subject to prosecution the same as any other con man. I think a lot should depend on the terms of service. I mean, people do mean/immoral things in online games all the time, sometimes being able to grief other players is a selling point a game.

I think the service provider should be able to easily resolve these issues (ban accounts/restore stolen items) and if the service provider is shitty, don't pay for that service....

TL;DR
    I think if terms of service are broken, real world penalties should not be out of the question

Dman on
    edited October 2008
    Scalfin wrote: »
    This gets more complicated when you remember that money is electronic as often as solid, an a computer program can be a valuable and expensive tool (look at what Photoshop'll run you).

Money's entirely different. Transferring funds electronically is possible because of a web of contracts that give those bits real-world value legally on either bank's end.

Photoshop is different because you have a license you purchased for a specific value (even if that value was $0) from the company that created it.

Your Sword of Pretty Much Instant Death in World of Everwhatthefuckever? Not so much.

Unless, perhaps, that item was "sold" to you for a specific value (in real-world currency) by the company running the game. Which is why I brought up something like M:tG online, or maybe that crazy Korean golf game that Super Swing Golf is based on.
    I think if terms of service are broken, real world penalties should not be out of the question

Only between you and the enforcers of those terms...in this case, the game publisher/developer/whatever. Not between you and other users.

mcdermott on
  • TachTach Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Crap! My rogue has been pick-pocketing left and right since I started him. I'm screwed!

Tach on
    edited October 2008
    Dman wrote: »
    I'd have to read the terms of service of this game, but assuming they are sane the items in question were, are, and always will be property of the company providing the service as Nova_C said already.

If Blizzard decides to delete my world of warcraft characters, I'm not entitled to fuck all because it says right in the terms of service that it was never my character to begin with. If some other party fucks over my character I'm still not entitled to anything, but blizzard can go after them for breaking the terms of service or hacking blizzard servers or whatever.

I know there are some games where you can pay real cash for in game items legitimately. I'd be interested to see how they word such a "sale". If I pay cash to the service provider for an in game item, and then someone takes that item away from my in game character via conning me, then maybe they should be subject to prosecution the same as any other con man. I think a lot should depend on the terms of service. I mean, people do mean/immoral things in online games all the time, sometimes being able to grief other players is a selling point a game.

I think the service provider should be able to easily resolve these issues (ban accounts/restore stolen items) and if the service provider is shitty, don't pay for that service....

TL;DR

I'm pretty sure that were it legal, it would be treated like buying the lease on an office (my dad's a dentist, and apparently owning your own office is quite rare).

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
    edited October 2008

The photoshop analogy isnt entirely accurate. When you purchase software you are paying for the 'value' of the software. In photoshop, the value is that it helps you do graphic stuff. In an MMO the value is that you get an experience, part of which involves obtaining and possibly losing items/in game gold.

lizard eats flies on
  • KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Well, Roman-Dutch law is apparently rather different from default Common Law systems most of us probably live with - so there could be all sorts of weird little subtleties of their property/banking/theft/assault laws that we would need to have explained to us before jumping to conclusions

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • DmanDman Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Only between you and the enforcers of those terms...in this case, the game publisher/developer/whatever. Not between you and other users.

Well, IMO this is arguable on a case by case basis. In most cases the dispute should be between the company offering the service and the person who broke the terms of service (person who got their character fucked has no say), but I can see where the person who was using the service and got fucked over has rights.

Say there is an MMOG that is basically photoshop+chat (maybe mixing colours gives you points and unlocks new colours or whatever, who cares). The terms of service state you can only see other peoples art and you may not copy it, steal it or use it in any way.

What if:
    1. Someone hacks the service provider, gets all my art, and sells it.
    Or
    2. Someone cons me into making my online art accessible to them and sells it.
    Or
    3. Does 1 or 2 but no one will pay them for it so they just keep their stolen copy.

Clearly in all these cases the terms of service were broken, but also I lost control of my creative art when I never willingly gave up my control of it, so I think I'd be entitled to sue whoever stole copies of my work in addition to having the service provider go after them.

Dman on
  • YarYar Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Please don't bring up the McDonald's coffee.

Anyway, part of the problem here is that online property, like it or not, is taking on the characteristics and implications of real property. People buy and sell it with real money. People work for it, spending time that might otherwise be engaged in other profitable activity. Businesses pay people to generate it and then sell it. And so on. How large does this virtual economy need to be, and how much effect can it have on the real economy, before issues like taxation and property rights are too big to ignore?

If people start killing each other IRL over virtual property, then wouldn't that necessitate governance, including property rights? Isn't that sort of why we have property rights and government?

Yar on
    edited October 2008
    Yar wrote: »

Anyway, part of the problem here is that online property, like it or not, is taking on the characteristics and implications of real property. People buy and sell it with real money. People work for it, spending time that might otherwise be engaged in other profitable activity. Businesses pay people to generate it and then sell it. And so on. How large does this virtual economy need to be, and how much effect can it have on the real economy, before issues like taxation and property rights are too big to ignore?

If people start killing each other IRL over virtual property, then wouldn't that necessitate governance, including property rights? Isn't that sort of why we have property rights and government?

But again, part of the reason I play games is to be able to be a thief and steal game money. Or to PVP and kill people in game. This may set them back hours of game play. But if that upsets them, they are playing the wrong game. This is because you are NOT paying for the items/money in the game, you are paying for the experience the game developers have created. And the virtual property that you work so hard for is NOT yours, it is owned by the MMO developer.

lizard eats flies on
    edited October 2008

But again, part of the reason I play games is to be able to be a thief and steal game money. Or to PVP and kill people in game. This may set them back hours of game play. But if that upsets them, they are playing the wrong game. This is because you are NOT paying for the items/money in the game, you are paying for the experience the game developers have created. And the virtual property that you work so hard for is NOT yours, it is owned by the MMO developer.

But internal thievery is a mutually agreed upon form of acquisition. Making a virus that infects others and transfers their stuff to you, on the other hand, is not.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited October 2008

But internal thievery is a mutually agreed upon form of acquisition. Making a virus that infects others and transfers their stuff to you, on the other hand, is not.

I think in this case though, the damages are to the MMO company, not the player. The MMO company can set stuff right by reseting the players goods. And then the person who used the virus would be liable for the work/lost funds/downtime etc to the MMO company. Same as if they hacked a website.

lizard eats flies on
  • NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I certainly hope that no one in The Netherlands plays EVE.

Nightslyr on
  • BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

I'll stab you unless you hand over X sounds like pretty cut and dry extortion to me. Does it really matter if X refers to a tangible good?

BubbaT on
    edited October 2008
    BubbaT wrote: »

I'll stab you unless you hand over X sounds like pretty cut and dry extortion to me. Does it really matter if X refers to a tangible good?

No, because (and correct me if I'm wrong) doesn't require that the attacker take a tangible good. Or even a valuable one, which is the issue here.

Theft generally does. Generally "theft" requires the taking of a good or service that has a tangible value, even if the good itself is not tangible.

I guess that's what some people are getting hung up on, because they think that I'm saying a good must be tangible to have value. Of course not. If I take $5000 out of your bank account, obviously I'm guilty of some form of theft, even if that money is merely deposited electronically into mine (and no tangible goods move).

But the point here is that the "goods" being "stolen" in this case have no value. It's not just that they don't exist (in that they are intangible) it's that they are not sold. You don't pay for them. They are not traded for money by the company that created them. In this way they are different from the dollars in your bank account, or the games in your Steam account.

Now, I'm talking in the context of the US (in response to Kalkino) since the OP mentioned the idea of whether or not this should happen here. There are a dozen other laws in our legal system (including the criminal side) to handle this particular situation. There's no reason "theft" should apply to the "goods" in question here, which are not only intangible but completely valueless as well.

These kids are guilty of assault (with a weapon, no less). Possibly extortion. Probably unauthorized access to a computer system (if they used his login), which is also an incredibly serious crime. Then, on the civil side, the creator of the MMO may be able to go after them for some form of damages as well.

My only issue is with the classification of this as theft.

Oh, and it's my understanding that there is some transfer between in-game money and "real" money on EVE Online? In this case things are arguably different, because at that point every item within the game does have a fixed dollar value. This probably poses some pretty significant legal questions, though, because you're talking about a virtual world where taking things "by force" is part of the game, as is destruction of that property...so does this mean that ToS violations could be criminal violations in the real world?

Fuck if I know.

mcdermott on
    edited October 2008
    well every MMO has currency you can buy, thru ebay or some other source. Most are not sanctioned by the game company. There are a select few that DO have real world/game world money translations.
    The EVE reference, I assume, is because that game is notoriously brutal in how much you can be set back. Stories of massive amounts of in game setup of people infiltrating Corporations (guilds) working their way up, and taking everything in the end destroying years of in game work and wealth etc. Some of these are very extensive with real world phone calls and other such out of game things happening. The developers actually encourage a lot of this type of behavior too.

lizard eats flies on
    edited October 2008
    well every MMO has currency you can buy, thru ebay or some other source. Most are not sanctioned by the game company.

Well yeah, I know people sell their loot on eBay to each other. That doesn't necessarily give it a value, though, particularly since (as you said) it's generally not sanctioned by the company that still owns those virtual items.

I can give you $500 for your Bow of Awesomeness, that doesn't make it worth $500, nor does it even make it mine.

mcdermott on
  • NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Nightslyr wrote: »
    I certainly hope that no one in The Netherlands plays EVE.

Oh god.

"There was a several hour long standoff today, where a group of thieves made off with billions and left several dead..."

Nocturne on
  • KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Isorn wrote: »

Was it a +2 Knife of Stabbing?

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Well yeah, I know people sell their loot on eBay to each other. That doesn't necessarily give it a value, though, particularly since (as you said) it's generally not sanctioned by the company that still owns those virtual items.

Sure, your terms of service cede any rights over your items and characters to the company maintaining the game. However, I don't see that as giving anyone else the right to interfere with those same items and characters. If a person were able to maliciously destroy my character and items through some sort of non-game avenue (a hack, stealing my password, etc)*, then they've harmed me and there should be some civil recourse.

Of course, the easiest way to rectify that harm is to have the game company restore the account. That seems the most important distinction to me between in-game goods and real-world goods; in-game goods can be regenerated with a keystroke. Real-world theft law would probably look a lot different if someone could snap their fingers and give you all your property back.

*EVE and similar games red herrings. There's a difference between thievery that's supported by the game mechanics and stealing passwords.

MrMister on
    edited October 2008
    MrMister wrote: »

Sure, your terms of service cede any rights over your items and characters to the company maintaining the game. However, I don't see that as giving anyone else the right to interfere with those same items and characters. If a person were able to maliciously destroy my character and items through some sort of non-game avenue (a hack, stealing my password, etc)*, then they've harmed me and there should be some civil recourse.

Of course, the easiest way to rectify that harm is to have the game company restore the account. That seems the most important distinction to me between in-game goods and real-world goods; in-game goods can be regenerated with a keystroke. Real-world theft law would probably look a lot different if someone could snap their fingers and give you all your property back.

*EVE and similar games red herrings. There's a difference between thievery that's supported by the game mechanics and stealing passwords.

There's also a difference between unauthorized access to an account (or using force to extort passwords) and theft.

But yeah, good point on how different laws would be if property could be regenerated.

mcdermott on
    edited October 2008
    MrMister wrote: »

Right. One is already illegal. The other isn't controlled by law and instead by the company that owns the rights to the product and it should stay that way.

People need to stop bringing up hacking/stealing passwords/viruses. That shit is already illegal. Not. A. Valid. Comparison.

Nocturne on
  • zerg rushzerg rush Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Hacking seems like a pretty mundane thing compared to assault with a deadly weapon.

zerg rush on
    edited October 2008
    zerg rush wrote: »
    Hacking seems like a pretty mundane thing compared to assault with a deadly weapon.

The original hacking.

Nocturne on
  • Vangu VegroVangu Vegro Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Interesting ruling, and not just because my mother works as a cleaning lady for the judge that made it.

Vangu Vegro on
    In my PC: Ryzom, Diablo III, Naruto Shippuden UNSR, The Old Republic
    In my 3DS: Super Smash Bros, AC New Leaf
    Last game completed: Steamworld Dig
  • YarYar Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    No, because (and correct me if I'm wrong) doesn't require that the attacker take a tangible good. Or even a valuable one, which is the issue here.

Theft generally does. Generally "theft" requires the taking of a good or service that has a tangible value, even if the good itself is not tangible.

I guess that's what some people are getting hung up on, because they think that I'm saying a good must be tangible to have value. Of course not. If I take $5000 out of your bank account, obviously I'm guilty of some form of theft, even if that money is merely deposited electronically into mine (and no tangible goods move).

But the point here is that the "goods" being "stolen" in this case have no value. It's not just that they don't exist (in that they are intangible) it's that they are not sold. You don't pay for them. They are not traded for money by the company that created them. In this way they are different from the dollars in your bank account, or the games in your Steam account.

Now, I'm talking in the context of the US (in response to Kalkino) since the OP mentioned the idea of whether or not this should happen here. There are a dozen other laws in our legal system (including the criminal side) to handle this particular situation. There's no reason "theft" should apply to the "goods" in question here, which are not only intangible but completely valueless as well.

These kids are guilty of assault (with a weapon, no less). Possibly extortion. Probably unauthorized access to a computer system (if they used his login), which is also an incredibly serious crime. Then, on the civil side, the creator of the MMO may be able to go after them for some form of damages as well.

My only issue is with the classification of this as theft.

Oh, and it's my understanding that there is some transfer between in-game money and "real" money on EVE Online? In this case things are arguably different, because at that point every item within the game does have a fixed dollar value. This probably poses some pretty significant legal questions, though, because you're talking about a virtual world where taking things "by force" is part of the game, as is destruction of that property...so does this mean that ToS violations could be criminal violations in the real world?

Fuck if I know.
    But value isn't something you get to declare or dismiss just because you want to or because a EULA says so. Various virtual gold pieces have real exchange rates to US$. It has real economic value whether you want it to or not. How is it not a currency? If one guy is spending hours earning virtual GP to buy a virtual sword, and another spends hours at a RL job to buy a TV, for how long can we pretend those are not the same thing? Especially if the former can decide instead to sell his GP for $ to buy a TV and the latter buys those GP in order to buy the virtual sword. A EULA somwehere that no one read may say that what's happening here isn't really happening, but over time, reality tends to win in the courts when it is at odds with legal structures.

Yar on
  • Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    But value isn't something you get to declare or dismiss just because you want to or because a EULA says so. Various virtual gold pieces have real exchange rates to US$. It has real economic value whether you want it to or not. How is it not a currency? If one guy is spending hours earning virtual GP to buy a virtual sword, and another spends hours at a RL job to buy a TV, for how long can we pretend those are not the same thing? Especially if the former can decide instead to sell his GP for $ to buy a TV and the latter buys those GP in order to buy the virtual sword. A EULA somwehere that no one read may say that what's happening here isn't really happening, but over time, reality tends to win in the courts when it is at odds with legal structures.

We don't have to pretend it's not the same thing, because the time spent is not spent acquiring property. It's acquiring the ability or privilege to access a restricted area of a program. When you grind gold for 2 hours, you're not acquiring anything, but building access privileges. You then turn that in and are granted access to an area of the program you couldn't access before. That is, the virtual item. It is not property, but a form of limited access.

Granting property rights to a form of software access would be kinda weird. You'd potentially be able to charge a company for theft for nerfing an item.

Nova_C on