As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The road not taken

DefenderDefender Registered User regular
edited January 2007 in Social Entropy++
I talked to a guy last night who would be able to recommend me to the guy who runs the POP team at Ubisoft. But I'd have to move to California, which means giving up a bunch of other things.

I do not like dilemmas, duders. I don't think I'll go. Which is a shame because I really like a lot of what the POP team does.

Defender on

• MonkeybombMonkeybomb Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I'll go, Defender.

Monkeybomb on
    Xbox Live Gamertag: Triplemonkeybom
    monkeysig-1.jpg
  • DefenderDefender Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Go and live for me, Monkeybomb.

Defender on
  • J. GrantJ. Grant Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    Defender wrote:
    I talked to a guy last night who would be able to recommend me to the guy who runs the POP team at Ubisoft. But I'd have to move to California, which means giving up a bunch of other things.

I do not like dilemmas, duders. I don't think I'll go. Which is a shame because I really like a lot of what the POP team does.

Well, we've already conceded that you are a complete fucking moron, so I suppose this decision is the right one.

J. Grant on
  • SlungsolowSlungsolow Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    Where in Cali?

because if it's SoCal, you're a fool for staying in PA.

Slungsolow on
    fuck your forums, fuck your administrator and fuck dynagrip for getting away with the long troll.
  • CalliusCallius Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Man, take it.

Dooooo it.

Callius on
    tonksigblack.png
    edited January 2007
    I shall, Defender.

I will live for all of us!

Or maybe I'll just jerk around, start showing up late every day and get fired.

Oh, the things I will see!

Monkeybomb on
    monkeysig-1.jpg
  • FaricazyFaricazy Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    What do you do defender

Faricazy on
  • BogeyBogey I'm back, baby! Santa Monica, CAModerator mod
    edited January 2007
    We'll be waiting, Monkeybomb! :D

Bogey on
    Fitocracy: Join us in the SE++ group!
    XBox LIVE: Bogestrom | Destiny
    PSN: Bogestrom
    edited January 2007
    Defender, I want an itemized report of the pros and cons of staying and going.

I want this on my desk 5 minutes ago.

Callius on
    tonksigblack.png
  • Green LanternGreen Lantern Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    What other things would you have to give up exactly?

Green Lantern on
  • Lord DaveLord Dave Grief Causer Bitch Free ZoneRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    California is the bestevez

Lord Dave on
    mkc.png
    edited January 2007
    Faricazy wrote:
    What do you do defender

Mostly real-time 3D graphics programming. So I do stuff like animation systems, exporter/importer/converter tools (like to get stuff from an art program like 3DS Max into a custom format used by a video game), particle/special effect systems, shaders, that kind of stuff.
    Callius wrote:

I wouldn't be near my family, I would have to find a new karate school, I would have to find new friends, and I would lose Kate.

If I stay I get to keep all of those things, and my boss' long-time experience in the games industry would get me closer to doing my own gaming thing, but it would not get me there as fast as Ubisoft, and it would be considerably longer before I got to work on something as awesome as, like, Assassin's Creed or whatever else that team will do.

Defender on
    edited January 2007
    Defender wrote:
    Faricazy wrote:
    What do you do defender

Mostly real-time 3D graphics programming. So I do stuff like animation systems, exporter/importer/converter tools (like to get stuff from an art program like 3DS Max into a custom format used by a video game), particle/special effect systems, shaders, that kind of stuff.
    Callius wrote:

I wouldn't be near my family, I would have to find a new karate school, I would have to find new friends, and I would lose Kate.

Damn, Kate couldn't/wouldn't come with you for an awesome job?

I would like to hear about Kate's situation.

Monkeybomb on
    monkeysig-1.jpg
  • denihilistdenihilist Ancient and Mighty Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2007
    You would probably fuck everything up anyway. It's best to stay in a nice, comfy place surrounded by known elements.

denihilist on
  • TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Defender, you can still access this forum from Cali.

I'm not even kidding.

You can do it. I heard about a guy once that did it.

You should go to Californ-eye-aye and join up with that company. Whatever they have in PA, they'll have in CA, only slightly different versions. You might have to learn to smile though.

TankHammer on
  • TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Dude, I've heard it's pretty hard to get that kind of job.

Go for it.

TheySlashThem on
  • AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Pack up the woman and move.

Aneurhythmia on
  • DJDMDJDM Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    You should stay home. Life is much safer that way.
    Cheers

DJDM on
    GameDemoAnimation101806.gif
  • denihilistdenihilist Ancient and Mighty Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2007
    Monkeybomb wrote:
    Don't blame Defender, the rabbit died.

denihilist on
  • lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    How serious are you and your girlfriend? I mean, that does sound like an amazing opportunity, though you have veryfew complaints about your job and life right now. Sometimes though, you gotta know when to hold 'em, you gotta know when to fold 'em (i don't know what that means)

lostwords on
    rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
    edited January 2007
    I'm sure they have perfectly fine Karate studios in LA, possibly even the same style (you're Parker style Kenpo, yes?).

Kate hates fags, right?

The family thing is a tough one, but this is a huge opportunity.

Callius on
    tonksigblack.png
  • IpseDixitIpseDixit Treat me like a pirate And give me that bootyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Defender you should come to California, it's pretty much the most awesome place ever.

Also if movies are to be believed (which they are) Southern California is over-run with bad guys who are in need of karate chops to be subdued, preferbly with a good "HI-YAH!"

IpseDixit on
    ipsesignew.jpg
    Flickr - PSN ID - IamTetsuo - Steam
    edited January 2007
    It's not like moving to Cali means you'll never see your family again. They recently invented this thing called an aero plane. I believe they put them up in the air at least twice a year, and the folks who run these mechanical wonders are getting better and better at piloting them every day.

Kate not going better not be an assumption. You hopefully have talked this over with her since, from my recollection, your relationship is rather serious and any life changing decision like this should have her input too.

Slungsolow on
    fuck your forums, fuck your administrator and fuck dynagrip for getting away with the long troll.
    edited January 2007
    Monkeybomb wrote:
    Damn, Kate couldn't/wouldn't come with you for an awesome job?

She likes being near her family, who are all in this area. She also really likes her job and has a potentially-bright future in it. We've discussed the California idea as a hypothetical in the past, and it will require me finding a new woman out there. I don't think she's being selfish; this is a really big deal.
    denihilist wrote:
    You would probably fuck everything up anyway. It's best to stay in a nice, comfy place surrounded by known elements.

I have become less of a risk-averse person in recent years, and have become more successful, so this is harder to say to myself.

EDIT:
    Slungsolow wrote:
    Kate not going better not be an assumption. You hopefully have talked this over with her since, from my recollection, your relationship is rather serious and any life changing decision like this should have her input too.

To be totally clear, yes, we discussed it a while ago (like over a year ago) as a hypothetical and we discussed it today as a much-less-hypothetical and the answer is the same.

Defender on
    edited January 2007
    lostwords wrote:
    How serious are you and your girlfriend? I mean, that does sound like an amazing opportunity, though you have veryfew complaints about your job and life right now. Sometimes though, you gotta know when to hold 'em, you gotta know when to fold 'em (i don't know what that means)

I can show you what it means.

Callius on
    tonksigblack.png
  • naporeonnaporeon Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    :whistle: Know when to walk away,
    Know when to run.
    :whistle:

naporeon on
    edited January 2007
    Callius wrote:
    lostwords wrote:

I can show you what it means.

shiiining

shiiimmering

spleeeendid....

A WHOLE NEW WORLD

lostwords on
    edited January 2007
    there are, ya know, women in california.

I hear that some of them even put out on the first date.

Slungsolow on
    edited January 2007
    Damn, dude. Well, if it were me and my girlfriend...

I dunno, I wouldn't be able to lose her, but if it was a totally awesome job opportunity, I know she would follow me.

She's also not deeply entrenched in her job. Neither of us are very family-centric, either.

So really there's nothing to compare your situation to mine.

What I'm saying is, give me the fucking job already.

Monkeybomb on
    monkeysig-1.jpg
    edited January 2007
    I heard there's a lot of minorities in California. Especially asians and "latinos". Factor that in when making the decision.

lostwords on
  • DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    I wouldn't take the job simply because I never want to move back to central or so cal.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Lord DaveLord Dave Grief Causer Bitch Free ZoneRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    what you should do is have kate get a job in califronia and then you go with her but you don't work

Lord Dave on
    mkc.png
    edited January 2007
    lostwords wrote:

Very serious. I would be surprised if something went wrong enough that I did not marry her.

And yeah, my current job is moving me toward my career goals, and I do like it a lot, but not as quickly as this job would. That said, would I like this job more? Hard to know.
    Callius wrote:
    I'm sure they have perfectly fine Karate studios in LA, possibly even the same style (you're Parker style Kenpo, yes?).

Kate hates fags, right?

The family thing is a tough one, but this is a huge opportunity.

Well, without getting into karate lineages and shit, yes, my instructor did receive a high ranking under Parker. It's moving more to an "integrated martial art" thing and the style is now called Nackord Karate. "Integrated Martial Art" is used instead of "MMA" mainly because we don't want to attract retarded assholes who just want to emulate UFC.

Kate doesn't hate fags, but she is of a much less open mind than I am. To some people, that may sound impossible, but you know me well enough to know that it is very easily possible. She has some views about homosexuality that I think are retarded and somewhat dangerous, but she is not a "we should kill faggots because it's against God" type.

Defender on
    edited January 2007
    Lord Dave wrote:
    what you should do is have kate get a job in califronia and then you go with her but you don't work

This is the best idea.

Monkeybomb on
    monkeysig-1.jpg
  • RiceCookRiceCook Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Do it so that we can see SE++ in the special thanks portion of the credits in assassin's creed.

RiceCook on
  • ToadTheMushroomToadTheMushroom Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Seriously man, go for it.

Worst case scenario you hate it and move back in 6 months.

Best case scenario it is your fucking career opportunity.

You dont want to look back in a year and think 'shit, I miseed my chance', unless you stay for this Kate in which case she had better be worth it (I hope that she is, in fact thats probably the best thing to choose)

ToadTheMushroom on
  • ascotascot Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Unless it were a "no going back" situation, you should definitely do it.

Nobody likes a "what could have been"...

ascot on
  • AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Defender wrote:
    She has some views about homosexuality that I think are retarded and somewhat dangerous
    California.

Aneurhythmia on
    edited January 2007
    RiceCook wrote:
    Do it so that we can see SE++ in the special thanks portion of the credits in assassin's creed.

Totally seriously, if I am at the helm of anything reasonably big, "SE++" will appear in there. By "at the helm," I mean "I have enough clout to put a name on that list" and by "reasonably big" I mean something that's good enough and solid enough to warrant a public release, not just the stuff I dick around with on my own for fun/research.

Defender on
  • potatoepotatoe Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    well...my 2 cents

it's just a job, it's just money
    if it means giving up your family, your girl, your life as you know it...it may not be worth it

what's more important to you?

potatoe on