As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A Wild Kitten Appears!

Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth.New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
edited October 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
Okay, so just outside what counts as my back yard, there is a small black kitten, probably not even old enough to be away from its mother.

It has been mewling for about a good hour or so now, probably more. I went to check it out and it's by a shed, which is about 20 ft away from a rather mean, if chained up, dog.

Now, I made the mistake of getting too close, and it started approaching me, but at the same time acting very defensive. If I moved back, it would follow me, mewing at me.

I have no idea what to do. Any kind of animal services will have to wait for the morning, and I have a bad feeling about leaving it out there to wait for the chance that its mother would come back for it. I get the feeling there won't be a solution to this where I won't feel like shit afterwards.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
Der Waffle Mous on

• Options
    RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Animal control services generally don't come for stray cats. It's usually just one or two guys, and stray cats would take up way too much time. Worth a try though.

You could always leave some milk or something outside your door.

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    well you can put out some water for it. i would wait another hour or so and then maybe bring it inside and put it in a closed bathroom with a box full of shreded newspaper or litter if you have it, and a towel coiled up to form a bed. if you wanted to maybe run to the pet store and pick up some kitten food.

if you have any pets (specifically cats) keep them isolated if possible

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Well, you could try putting some food out for it in a safeish area. Do you have any idea where the mother if one exists is keeping them? There may be more. I'd keep an eye out on it to see if the mommy comes back. If she doesn't in a reasonable time frame, I'd try and save the poor guy and take him to your local Humane Society if you can't keep him. Most importantly, give us pics. :)

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    what is a reasonable timeframe?

Also, he looked really, really young. He was walking around and able to look menacing on his own, but if I end up taking it in, I'm worried about having to find an eyedropper or something.

Der Waffle Mous on
  • Options
    TrowizillaTrowizilla Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Poor kitty. If you've got some tuna, put a little on a plate (just for the smell), take a towel, and then go outside and sit near the kitten. If he approaches to see what the delicious smell is, see if he'll let you touch him. If he will, take him inside. If he won't, wait for him to approach and then snatch him up with the towel.

Keep him in a closed bathroom or laundry room, somewhere warm and tiled, and give him some water and kitten food. (Don't give him much of the tuna; it's too rich for the little guy.) If you can't keep him, call some cat rescues tomorrow and see if you can get him into foster care.

Trowizilla on
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Well, I just checked outside again, I didn't see him anywhere, and there was no mewling to be heard.

Here's hoping mama came and found him :|

Der Waffle Mous on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    what is a reasonable timeframe?

Also, he looked really, really young. He was walking around and able to look menacing on his own, but if I end up taking it in, I'm worried about having to find an eyedropper or something.

A reasonable timeframe would be something with an upper end of several hours. Mommy kitty may need to go hunt or whatever, but she'd come back to check on her babies. Also possibly he wandered away and is now lost and she can't find him.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2008
    Some Animal Rescue League shelters won't take animals. If that's the case, the unofficial thing to do is leave the animal outside, at which point they are obligated to take him in.

If you're seriously worried about the cat, take it inside, give it some food and water, and then deal with it when you can. If it's eyes are open, then it's safe to be without it's mother. It probably wandered off and got lost. It is likely to get eaten by the dog if you leave it outside.

Care for it until you can take it some where.

EDIT

Nevermind.

Kitty is gone.

Hope the dog didn't get it.

Sheep on
  • Options
    Armored GorillaArmored Gorilla Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    OH MY GOD KEEP IT

We found a wild kitten thirteen years ago and she still lives with me today. Cat is absolutely nutsoid, but completely adorable.

Armored Gorilla on
    "I'm a mad god. The Mad God, actually. It's a family title. Gets passed down from me to myself every few thousand years."