As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

System Shock 2 not installing?

DavoidDavoid Registered User regular
edited October 2008 in Games and Technology
So, I'm trying to install System Shock 2, and I get a nice big "This product cannot be installed on Windows NT due to a Microsoft DirectX 6.1(tm) limitation" when I try. I'm running a 64 bit Vista system, with enough power behind it ro run Bioshock pretty well. Any ideas what the cause is and how I can get around it?

rqv6.png
Davoid on

• LorkLork Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Davoid wrote: »
    So, I'm trying to install System Shock 2, and I get a nice big "This product cannot be installed on Windows NT due to a Microsoft DirectX 6.1(tm) limitation" when I try. I'm running a 64 bit Vista system, with enough power behind it ro run Bioshock pretty well. Any ideas what the cause is and how I can get around it?
    Set the compatibility mode for the installer to Win98.

Lork on
    Steam Profile: Lork
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Run setup.exe with the -lgntforce option. Works for the Thief series also.

Glal on
  • DavoidDavoid Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I am retarded and can't figure out how to do that with Vista.

Edit: Got it! thank you so much

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
  • ShimShamShimSham Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I once spent 3+ combined hours trying to get SS2 to run on my computer. Tried every troubleshooting technique I found, and I did it 3-4 times each.

Then I gave up and tried to do a normal install on my mom's computer. Worked first try, no extra configuration needed. No problems with the extra texture mods either.

Just about drove me crazy after I saw how easy it was to install on a different computer, for no obvious reason.

ShimSham on
    QcGKhPm.jpg