As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

ROCK BAND: We don't have "Jessie's Girl" ...yet

• Options
    mantis23mantis23 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    yeah, thats the problem overall with all of these drums for any of the games. Its just too hard to make a good quality kit for under a hundred bucks. I mean there is a reason that good e-drums are so expensive. The problem is that it seems that alot of people are expecting the precision of a $2000 kit on a cheap plastic version.

maybe its just me, but I dont expect them to be perfect. I understand if my 90 dollar drums drop a hit here or there.

mantis23 on
    0y6kx4rwubui.jpg
  • Options
    Airking850Airking850 Ottawa, ONRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    One interesting note in the Schism drum chart is that the 16th double-kicks at the end are charted as off-beat kicks. Rock Band always (from what I've seen) charts 16th double-kick sections on the beat.

So basically what we have here is a case where Rock Band is more true to life whereas Guitar Hero is more difficult.

Also the YOU ROCK at the end of every song in GHWT is awfully intrusive.

EDIT: They're not 16th notes, which basically changes everything. I'm ...fevered and delirious?

Watching it some more, the chart is a swing beat on the kick and toms.

Airking850 on
  • Options
    ShlankShlank Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    3 pack of Down. Game needs more stoner rock.

Stone The Crow

Ghosts Along the Mississippi

Learn From This Mistake

Some Corrosion of Conformity would also be quite welcome.

Shlank on
    Shlankx.png
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    mantis23 wrote: »
    yeah, thats the problem overall with all of these drums for any of the games. Its just too hard to make a good quality kit for under a hundred bucks. I mean there is a reason that good e-drums are so expensive. The problem is that it seems that alot of people are expecting the precision of a $2000 kit on a cheap plastic version.

maybe its just me, but I dont expect them to be perfect. I understand if my 90 dollar drums drop a hit here or there.

Even though I've never owned a set of RB drums, I'd be satisfied with a pedal that doesn't snap in half.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    DrakeonDrakeon Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Even though I've never owned a set of RB drums, I'd be satisfied with a pedal that doesn't snap in half.

Isn't that fixed with the RB2 drumkit?

Drakeon on
    PSN: Drakieon XBL: Drakieon Steam: TheDrakeon
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Drakeon wrote: »

Isn't that fixed with the RB2 drumkit?

As I understand it, the metal reinforcement is too thin to actually make much of a difference. So they still break in half.

Is there a place that sells actuall bass pedals that have been modified? Or is that a straight DIY kind of thing?

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    The metal pedal for the RB2 kit isn't fully made of metal nor is the pedal portion full made of metal. It's basically a thing layer around the plastic portion where the foot rests. It does increase durability but it just puts equal strain on the rest of the pedal.

The GH:WT pedal isn't that much better. It has nothing to rest on so it slides all over the place unless you do something to counter act that (velcro, etc). It's also prone to being snapped at the base after some heavy stomping.

That said, putting that 1/8" steel megapedal cover on my RB1 pedal since I RMA'd it in March doesn't have a crack on it.

EDIT: There's the Destroyer pedal which should cost you about as much as an RB2 kit by itself. It's cheaper to just do it yourself. I got the diamond pattern cover from megapedal.com which should cost you half as much and requires minimal effort to install. They also offer a full steel pedal replacement where you basically replace the original flap with a real steel one.

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • Options
    Airking850Airking850 Ottawa, ONRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I'm really worried what'll happen when I play GHWT, since if I don't restrain myself I kick hard enough to move the entire RB drum kit away from me.

Also while the pedal part of my RB2 pedal has lasted thus far, I managed to put a crack through the base with my heel (because I'm that hardcore)

Airking850 on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Thanks, Arikado.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    As a side note, I tend to play in socks or barefoot.

Arikado on
  • Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Arikado wrote: »
    As a side note, I tend to play in socks or barefoot.
    Yeah, I guess that would be common sense.

Speaking of bass drums, I dislike how the notes aren't visible at a distance, but I suppose I got used to DrumMania's pink.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    glithertglithert Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    So, this is me getting used to the new GHWT drum setup. The sheer awkwardness of the placement of drums can't be overstated. You'll understand once you play.
    That doesn't sound good.

glithert on
  • Options
    BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Doesn't only having 2 cymbals make the game way easier on drums? Because in RB every single pad is used as one thing or another, but in GHWT wouldn't things like going from ride to crash just be mapped to the same pad? Or open to closed high hat?

BlindPsychic on
  • Options
    mantis23mantis23 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    So, I am having a rock band party on saturday....and AC/DC comes out on sunday. There is a 24 hour walmart 5 minutes from my house.

What are the chances of me being able to get the game at midnight without much hassle, I'd hate to leave my own party for very long.

mantis23 on
    0y6kx4rwubui.jpg
  • Options
    Alucard6986Alucard6986 xbox: Ubeltanzer swtor: UbelRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Can the rock band 1 pedal plug into the rock band 2 drum set? Would hate to have to remod it if I ever picked one up.

Alucard6986 on
    PSN: Ubeltanzer Blizzard: Ubel#1258
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Is there a way to use the RB1 drum pedal with the Ion kit? I know the Ion kit has a much better pedal but it is loud as hell and since I live in a second floor apartment I don't want to piss the guy below me off.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    It could be quiet as a kitten and likely wouldn't make a difference. The problem is the stomping.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    It could be quiet as a kitten and likely wouldn't make a difference. The problem is the stomping.

No there's definitely a difference. I don't stomp when I play the drums. I've done tests with both pedals and the RB1 pedal is not nearly as loud.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

No there's definitely a difference. I don't stomp when I play the drums. I've done tests with both pedals and the RB1 pedal is not nearly as loud.

I'm just saying you'd likely be surprised by how much noise repetitive stepping in a single spot to register bass hits in a video game can generate for the person living directly below. No matter how careful you are.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Can the rock band 1 pedal plug into the rock band 2 drum set? Would hate to have to remod it if I ever picked one up.

The plugs for the pedals are identical, so yes. I'm using my Destroyer pedal from my RB1 set with my new RB2 set with no problems.

JonBob on
    jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    The bass kick being a barely-visible purple line in GHWT is pretty fail. And I knew that people would be complaining about the positioning of the drumset ever since the first pictures surfaced.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    Atlus ParkerAtlus Parker Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    The bass kick being a barely-visible purple line in GHWT is pretty fail.

I brought this up at the PAX booth and the reps there didn't seem to care. It was a faint purple line on a purple fretboard. I couldn't see it to save my life.

Atlus Parker on
  • Options
    XenoScholarXenoScholar Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    The placement of the drums in GHWT has always looked awkward, especially if they use the left-most raised cymbal for the hi-hat. If you do sixteenths on the hi-hat plus a snare hit every second beat (ie, RttH, Everlong), your hands will be backwards of what a real drummer does because the snare is to the LEFT of the hi-hat.

Here, Rock Band chooses to use red as the hi-hat, whereas in other songs they use yellow. The versatility of using different drums for different purposes helps here, whereas GHWT is stuck using that cymbal for a hi-hat when its placement is no good.

I like GHWT's idea of using 5 drums more than RB's 4, but most everything else about it seems poorly designed. No anchor for the bass pedal is just inexcusable. I can't believe they played on that thing in the testing phase and didn't realize how horrible having no anchor is. Maybe they just never playtested it!

XenoScholar on
    Check out my demonstration of the Street Fighter 4 hard trial combos, showing hands on the joystick, on my Youtube channel!
    Current characters done: Ryu, Dan, C. Viper
    Xbox Live: Infilament
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Got through "Maps" on expert drums this weekend. Really making progress into expert now, it feels fucking great.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    Radikal_DreamerRadikal_Dreamer Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Got through "Maps" on expert drums this weekend. Really making progress into expert now, it feels fucking great.

Conquering that song was pretty much one of my bigger "feels great" moments on drums. The one before it was being able to hit the between bass hits. The one after it will probably be when I can confidently and consistently hit all the rolls :P

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    In case people were wondering how the drum chart would look like if you connected a RB drumset to GH:WT
    Vicarious - RB Drums

Arikado on
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Wait, when you get to hard fast parts in GH drums it just lets you wail on the drums randomly?

:|

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Good god that song looks hard

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I was air drumming thinking, "this could be alot of fun!" but then I noticed the foot cues and my mind went blank.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I was air drumming thinking, "this could be alot of fun!" but then I noticed the foot cues and my mind went blank.

I was pretty much watching the bass the whole time, and, yeah, a bit out of my league right now, but someday it'll be so fun to play... someday.

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • Options
    YesNoMuYesNoMu Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Wait, when you get to hard fast parts in GH drums it just lets you wail on the drums randomly?

:|
    Worse than that. When there aren't any drums, you get to wail randomly. Check out why this can go horribly wrong at 3:47:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDXCY3q4eo0

YesNoMu on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Feels Good ManFeels Good Man Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    dear lord the drum noises are worse than RB1's

Feels Good Man on
  • Options
    OmeksOmeks Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Dear god, nearly two minutes of random wailing on drums.

The snare drum sounds like corn popping.

Omeks on
    Online Info (Click Spoiler for More):
    |Xbox Live Tag: Omeks
    |PSN Tag: Omeks_R7
    |Rock Band: Profile|DLC Collection
    Omeks.png
  • Options
    Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Maybe it's just me, but I honestly don't like Tool.

Shady3011 on
  • Options
    My Name Is LukeMy Name Is Luke Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    You're not alone, I only know about the song in the video because someone I knew was making fun of it.

My Name Is Luke on
  • Options
    Smug DucklingSmug Duckling Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Before this game, I had always thought TOOL was an incredibly heavy heavy metal band. That name made me think that I guess.

But now that I've listened to some of their stuff, I just find it boring.

Smug Duckling on
    smugduckling,pc,days.png
  • Options
    glithertglithert Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Before this game, I had always thought TOOL was an incredibly heavy heavy metal band. That name made me think that I guess.

But now that I've listened to some of their stuff, I just find it boring.

Oh dear god yes
    Tool makes me drowsy

glithert on
  • Options
    OmeksOmeks Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Somewhere, Togfather's heart is exploding into a million pieces.

I like Tool, but I'm not the biggest fan. They're the kind of band I like to listen to, but when a song comes on, I regularly can't recall the name save for a few songs (Vicarious, The Pot, Forty-Six and Two, Schism).

Omeks on
    Online Info (Click Spoiler for More):
    |Xbox Live Tag: Omeks
    |PSN Tag: Omeks_R7
    |Rock Band: Profile|DLC Collection
    Omeks.png
  • Options
    the Togfatherthe Togfather Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    sniff

the Togfather on
    The night is dark and full of terrors.
    twit feed
  • Options
    greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Omeks wrote: »
    Dear god, nearly two minutes of random wailing on drums.

The snare drum sounds like corn popping.

Wow you are not kidding it does sound like popcorn... Allowing people to freely wail on the drums is a good thing, but not with the horrible sound effects they have going. Maybe they'll patch that shit.

greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.