As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Got a PS3 and 360, multi-platform game comes out, which system?

DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
edited November 2008 in Games and Technology
It was easy before, I only had a 360, so whenever a game came out I got it for that system. With LBP coming I got myself a PS3 though, and now I've thought of getting SFIV and other games that will come out on both systems. I remember that in the past, if I'm not mistaken, most games (like Assassin's Creed (framerate) and DMC4 (stupid install)) were better on the 360, but I've heard that recently it's become pretty much equal on both systems with the newer games.

Is there any website that does relatively fair and objective comparisons of the games and tell us the pros and cons of both systems when it comes to a particular game? Example, if I buy SFIV for the PS3, will it look better or play smoother? Is there a bonus character on the 360? Will the PS3 force me to install stuff? Which game loads faster? Etc.

Djiem on

• FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2008
    Pretty much every Japanese game from here on out is going to require installs.

Online games you should probably get for 360, because there's more people online there.

Otherwise get whatever version you think is better, GameTrailers has pretty good comparisons.

FyreWulff on
  • WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Oh hey I'm in this boat too now. Right now I'm thinking single-player games on the PS3, and games with a multiplayer component on the 360 due to the superior online/controller.

Price of course being a huge factor.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    you'll want sfiv on the ps3 for the d-pad

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Willeth, that depends. None of my real-life friends own a 360 but some own a PS3, so if I get games I know they'll get and I want to play with them, I need the PS3 version. Friend roster doesn't come into account when comparing, I can figure that part on my own with each individual game, I really just want to compare them on technical standpoints, especially framerate, visual/sound quality, how it controls, and load times.

EDIT: bsjezz makes a really good point. I always hated the PS2/3's D-Pad, but never nearly as much as 360's "Worst D-Pad ever conceived"-award winner piece of plastic.

Djiem on
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2008
    I'm talking general populace. There are certain games on 360 that have healthy populations but the PS3 version is a wasteland.

FyreWulff on
  • WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    When it comes to playing with friends I'd see the two as fairly even, with the 360 having a slight edge because of cross-game invites and messaging. However, when it's with randoms, I'd much rather be part of a community that all have headsets and can communicate as a team, even if I have to mute some of them, than the PS3's online which feels kind of hollow.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Djiem wrote: »
    I really just want to compare them on technical standpoints, especially framerate, visual/sound quality, how it controls, and load times.

This information seems to be kinda difficult to find. I think the best bet you have is to skim the major review sites. And even if you find information its not always so clear cut. Like DMC4 has annoying install on ps3, but you have faster load times as a result and the cutscenes are 60fps instead of 30fps. (Not sure why the cutscenes are better on ps3... space issues?)

In other words, good luck.

greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    greeble wrote: »
    I really just want to compare them on technical standpoints, especially framerate, visual/sound quality, how it controls, and load times.

This information seems to be kinda difficult to find. I think the best bet you have is to skim the major review sites. And even if you find information its not always so clear cut. Like DMC4 has annoying install on ps3, but you have faster load times as a result and the cutscenes are 60fps instead of 30fps. (Not sure why the cutscenes are better on ps3... space issues?)

In other words, good luck.

Maybe because it's a japanese developer on a japanese system?

Renzo on
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Some games look better on the PS3, and some look better on the 360.

It's rarely a big enough difference to be all that noticeable, though.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    It really comes down to controller and which online system you prefer. You'll have a good idea of what type of game you're looking at before you download it, especially with the abundance of demos available for both systems. Play demos on both systems, see which controller you prefer.

If it's a tossup, then see how much you think you'll play online. If you're paying for a Gold membership on your 360, well, it kind of makes sense to play multiplayer games there. If you're not, and you have some friends you'll play with on the PSN, then pick it up there.

So the answer is "it depends." Lately, the PS3 has been getting ports of 360 games that would be called the "definitive versions," but only if you've never played them on the 360. Like BioShock and Eternal Sonata. But if you've played them (or don't care), then it's moot. I would be surprised if many games, going forward, are significantly different between the systems. Arguably, the PS3 *could* be more powerful down the road, and some people state that these ports are actually more attractive on the PS3, but again, I'd wait until the reviews come out on a per-game basis, and try demos for both systems.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • liquidloganliquidlogan Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I look at it this way:

If you own both systems, you should be picking up the game on the system which was the lead development platform. Call of Duty? Xbox 360. Burnout Paradise? PS3. Final Fantasy XIII would also be a PS3 lead. In the case of a game like Far Cry 2 where the PC is the lead platform, Xbox 360 because the architecture of a PC is much more similar to an Xbox 360. I find that in most cases for this generation, this holds true because the systems are all evenly matched (I wouldn't have said, for instance, to get the PS2 version over Xbox just because it was the lead platform).

Keep in mind as well that some games may be cheaper on the other platform for a specific reason. For instance, I picked up Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway for PS3 because the Collector's Edition, thanks to a delay in packaging, was selling for the same as the regular edition.

Generally though, it won't matter so take into account personal tastes. For instance, I would agree with fighters on the PS3. By the same token, the PS3 controller's analog sticks, to me, really aren't ideal for shooters so almost all my shooting games (with some exceptions like BiA) are going on my 360.

Also, if you have Xbox Live, honestly, you are paying for the fucker. Get multiplayer games on the 360 so you aren't wasting money.

liquidlogan on
  • Dark ShroudDark Shroud Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I get the games for the PS3. Simply because I don't have to worry about the hardware problems I've had to deal with.

Dark Shroud on
  • capable heartcapable heart Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    deleted

capable heart on
  • A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited October 2008
    I also check on a case-by-case, but if all things are equal I'll choose the PS3. It's what I usually have connected, and I'm a lot less worried about the thing being used over the long term (it's been folding constantly for about a week now) and I kinda prefer the XMB. My 360 was a launch unit, so I have a feeling it's only a matter of time.

A duck! on
  • chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    360. I love my PS3's media capabilites, but the controller's a joke.

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • MarioGMarioG Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    chasm wrote: »
    360. I love my PS3's media capabilites, but the controller's a joke.

Thats how I feel except the other way around. But anyways, I always get multi-platform games on the PS3 because it is the one I got first so it means more to me or something like that.

MarioG on
    Kay wrote:
    Mario, if Slenderman had a face, I would punch him in it.

Hey, I have a blog! (Actually being updated again!)

3DS: 0860-3240-2604
  • Black IceBlack Ice Charlotte, NCRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Personal preference. Something no one has brought up is how Live has always had more kids on it (in my experience), but it also has a larger community.

Black Ice on
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    PS3 version unless I hear from multiple sources that the PS3 version runs worse enough than the 360 version to hamper gameplay.

This hasn't really happened yet for me, but I hear it happens on sports games (or used to).

Other than that, I prefer the controller and stability of the PS3.

UnbreakableVow on
  • chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    My first 360 lasted 13 months. My first PS3 lasted two months. The diode crapped out. I don't trust either system.

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
    edited October 2008
    I personally choose between the 2 platforms on a case-by-case basis. I check for things like framerates first, then load times, online function, DLC, a super-obvious benefit or problem glitch etc... all of that in no particular order. It takes a lot longer to decide this way, maybe, but I pretty much have to do it that way because you can't always count on one over the other.

Yes, that's basically what I plan to do. I was wondering if there was a website dedicated to that, or the section of a certain website that covers these infos that you guys trust.

Djiem on
  • Black IceBlack Ice Charlotte, NCRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Gametrailers does side-by-side comparisons of graphics unless they stopped (possibly a long time ago). I normally just look to IGN or even GameSpot to read the reviews. Normally if there's something like a bad framerate in the PS3 or a long loading time on a system they'll bring it up.

Black Ice on
  • BakerIsBoredBakerIsBored Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Just curious, I read it somewhere at some point in time (for the older PS3, folding, and what it would cost someone to fold 24/7 a month), but...

As for the most current models of both systems. Which one is running on less juice. If lets say the multi-platform game is identical on both systems, and both controllers are fine with you... which system is going to hurt my electric bill the most? hmmmm...

BakerIsBored on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I can't find it at the moment, but I seem to recall a study indicating the 360 and PS3 were fairly comparable power-wise. This assumes you don't keep the PS3 on constantly for folding and the like.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Radikal_DreamerRadikal_Dreamer Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I pretty much get multiplats on my PS3. I'm intimately more familiar with the controller and I love it waaaaay more than the 360's. I don't pay for live, so anything with online I'll get for the PS3, too.

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • GanluanGanluan Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I don't have a PS3, but I've never been a big fan of the Playstation controller format (although I had and loved both the PS1 and PS2). I really like the 360 controller, but I still think the Wavebird is my favorite.

If I had a choice though I'd always take 360 for Achievements, but now that the PS3 has Trophies the differences seem to be minor at best. A couple friends at work have said they wish they bought multiplayer games on the 360 simply because there's a much larger user base, but if you plan to play mostly with friends that's not really an issue.

Ganluan on
  • Dark ShroudDark Shroud Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Black Ice wrote: »
    Gametrailers does side-by-side comparisons of graphics unless they stopped (possibly a long time ago). I normally just look to IGN or even GameSpot to read the reviews. Normally if there's something like a bad framerate in the PS3 or a long loading time on a system they'll bring it up.

I haven't trusted them in a long time since they were caught using gimped video settings on the PS3 videos. I could have let it go but then they tried to BS their way out of it when they were finally busted.

Dark Shroud on
  • Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I don't like the Gametrailer comparisons, they don't even attempt to get the brightness/contrast at the same level so it throws most things out.

I'm in the same boat though, I just tend to do a search for "360 PS3 Gamename" and there's usually someone that's discussed it.

I know what you mean though. The differences may not even be noticable but...if I'm paying for a game I want the best version out, even if I can't tell it's the best version out :)

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • OmegasquashOmegasquash Boston, MARegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2008
    I always try to check with my people. If there's going to be a larger population of people that I specifically want to play with on the 360, then that's the version I'll buy. For single player experiences, I've been leaning more towards the PS3 because I like the controller (minus the sixaxis bits).

Omegasquash on
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I get multiplats mostly on the 360, unless I start to feel guilty that my PS3 sits there unused a lot. Like, I bought GTA4 for the PS3 because it kept looking at me longingly, "Why don't you play me? You don't even turn me on anymore...".

I just prefer the 360 experience. I have a lot of friends on Live, I have a lot more games for it, and I prefer the controller. It's really a personal preference thing.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    edited October 2008
    I have to say, when I first created this thread, I was really afraid it would devolve into a very retarded 360 vs PS3 console war, but I'm really glad so much objective discussion came out. Good job all.

Djiem on
  • fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Eurogamer have done some good game-by-game comparisons in the past;

Here is the latest, round 12.

There are links on that first page to the other eleven.

Not so much use for new/forthcoming games though.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    I can't find it at the moment, but I seem to recall a study indicating the 360 and PS3 were fairly comparable power-wise. This assumes you don't keep the PS3 on constantly for folding and the like.

If you need to worry about "which console uses more power" from a financial perspective, then you shouldn't own either one.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008

If you need to worry about "which console uses more power" from a financial perspective, then you shouldn't own either one.

You know, he could be worried from an environmental perspective.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Squirminator2kSquirminator2k they/them North Hollywood, CARegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Generally I'll go for the 360 version, unless the PS3 version actually sounds like it'll be better. This seldom happens.

Interestingly, Team Fortress 2 on the 360 is virtually dead. The PS3 version has a thriving community of people who only play one map and try to treat the game as a generic Deathmatch FPS.

Squirminator2k on
    Jump Leads - a scifi-comedy audiodrama podcast
  • ChewyWafflesChewyWaffles Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    360 for all multi-platform games unless it's a PS3 exclusive, obviously.

ChewyWaffles on
    mwf2sig.jpg
  • EvangirEvangir Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    If it's on both, and I don't hear about any massive differences in quality, I always get the 360 version. I just don't find the Playstation controller comfortable, while the 360 controller is perhaps my favourite controller of all time (excluding the laugably bad D-Pad, but I'm not really into fight games so it isn't too big a deal).

Evangir on
    PSN/XBL/STEAM: Evangir - Starcraft 2: Bulwark.955 - Origin: Bulwark955 - Diablo 3: Bulwark#1478
    edited October 2008

It was just something I was wondering about.

Energy is going to be a bit thing in the future years. Most electric companies are starting to increase rates. Not that 1 console is going to put a huge dent in your bill, but if one is consuming much less energy... over a year... if I save 30... or 50... or 100... I'll take it. Plus as someone else said... the environment. (not that 1 box is going to do much, but millions of boxes could possibly do something)

Anyways...

BakerIsBored on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Folding@Home cures cancer but causes me to be poor. It's a difficult balance fighting the good fight.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • balbonibalboni Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Willeth, that depends. None of my real-life friends own a 360 but some own a PS3, so if I get games I know they'll get and I want to play with them, I need the PS3 version. Friend roster doesn't come into account when comparing, I can figure that part on my own with each individual game, I really just want to compare them on technical standpoints, especially framerate, visual/sound quality, how it controls, and load times.

EDIT: bsjezz makes a really good point. I always hated the PS2/3's D-Pad, but never nearly as much as 360's "Worst D-Pad ever conceived"-award winner piece of plastic.

From a technical standpoint, are you using HDMI for both? If you are, I have noticed that PS3 games are just darker in general - they really hit a flat black. This poses a little problem I have noticed in Uncharted where getting a little in the shadows makes it suddenly impossible to see. Also, I had to switch Burnout to only have daytime, since night was just unplayable. While much of this might have been intended, it was just not enjoyable for me personally; the dark/light aspect really made me insist on Dead Space on 360. Next PS3 game I get will be Resistance 2, so we will see with that. Obviously Disgaea 3 is not affected by this heh.

Someone else I know locally has a PS3/360 and has the same problem with the lighting in Uncharted and Burnout, so I don't think it is my TV either.

balboni on
    edited October 2008
    balboni wrote: »

From a technical standpoint, are you using HDMI for both? If you are, I have noticed that PS3 games are just darker in general - they really hit a flat black. This poses a little problem I have noticed in Uncharted where getting a little in the shadows makes it suddenly impossible to see. Also, I had to switch Burnout to only have daytime, since night was just unplayable. While much of this might have been intended, it was just not enjoyable for me personally; the dark/light aspect really made me insist on Dead Space on 360. Next PS3 game I get will be Resistance 2, so we will see with that. Obviously Disgaea 3 is not affected by this heh.

Someone else I know locally has a PS3/360 and has the same problem with the lighting in Uncharted and Burnout, so I don't think it is my TV either.

Sounds like its your TV... I don't have those issues.... Also you are aware you can adjust the brightness levels? Not only ingame, but on your TV? Pretty common sense... also, what settings do you have it set to if your using HDMI out?

BakerIsBored on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]