As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Suikoden Tierkreis - out now

• Options
    NabobNabob Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Aww, an alternate universe makes me much less excited for this game. Half the fun of Suikoden is returning characters and the new game fitting into the timeline and world with the others. Maybe Viki will still be in it, universes aren't any harder to teleport across than time is right?

Nabob on
    3DS Friend Code: 3325-2367-6821
  • Options
    Glenn565Glenn565 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Nabob wrote: »
    Aww, an alternate universe makes me much less excited for this game. Half the fun of Suikoden is returning characters and the new game fitting into the timeline and world with the others. Maybe Viki will still be in it, universes aren't any harder to teleport across than time is right?

No Vikki OR Jeanne.

Glenn565 on
    3DS code:4511-0654-1976
    NNID: Glenn565
  • Options
    SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Nabob wrote: »

She and Jeane had better be in it, or else. *shakes fist*

Hey, wasn't there another thread for this? Well I know there was because I posted in it.

Schide on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    So... we can all agree that Suikoden 2 was the best one, right?

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    So... we can all agree that Suikoden 2 was the best one, right?

yes it was the best one. Anyone else who thinks otherwise probably was dropped on there head as a baby.

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    carmofincarmofin Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    it was, but id still like to add that suikoden 3 is totally underrated IMO.
    Playing a game from five different perspectives was so unique and enjoyable that it easily made up for the few flaws that game had.

carmofin on
    PSN | Steam
    ___
    NNID: carmofin
    3DS: 2852 6971 9745
    Throw me a PM if you add me
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Suikoden 3 was an abortion. Its creation and sale was tantamount to holding an exposition where the only goal of the show was to detail the insertion of fetus's into blenders and turning them on high while an audience of women who were only pregnant from violent acts of rape watched in horror

But like a battered housewife, I sobbed through the pain as I finished it anyway just because of the name.

Suikoden on the DS might be reason enough for me to actually get a god damned DS.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I wouldn't call 3 an abortion. Still, the battle system was worse, the towns were mostly boring, the game itself was pretty ugly, and I felt the change in perspective gave the game sort of a disjointed feel.

I never played a Suikoden after that, not for lack of interest but simply because of poor reviews for the fourth game and not wanting to invest that many hours into a game, though now I could probably pick both Four and Five up and play them during the winter break, though I'm already planning to get Persona 4.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Four wasnt that bad of a game, it was short [ well, its long, but only because of the ramped up encounter rate, but again this isnt that big a deal with the easy to exploit training room for lvl 99 super power. ]

5 recaptured all the love and glory of 1 and 2, tho. Definately go get 5 its fucking aces.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    BremenBremen Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Five was a return to what I love about the series, a powerful story that really sucks you in, fun characters, and a de-emphasis on fighting and stat crunching. Unfortunately what I love isn't shared by everyone; one of the biggest criticisms I see about it is the hours of cutscenes without any fighting to break them up (Although that's only a problem in the first part of the game.)

Bremen on
  • Options
    LovelyLovely Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Man, I really loved 3. I'm sad that the game is so disliked. Heck, I even enjoyed the battle system. I never really had troubles with it like everybody else seemed to.

Lovely on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    BremenBremen Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Lovely wrote: »
    Man, I really loved 3. I'm sad that the game is so disliked. Heck, I even enjoyed the battle system. I never really had troubles with it like everybody else seemed to.

I don't think 3 is bad or anything, I just liked 2 and 5 more. The PoV system was original, but the game had a lot of other flaws.

Bremen on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Bremen wrote: »

I don't think 3 is bad or anything, I just liked 2 and 5 more. The PoV system was original, but the game had a lot of other flaws.

3 is a terrorist assault against this country and should have been responded to with a full nuclear retaliation.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    LovelyLovely Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Buttcleft wrote: »

3 is a terrorist assault against this country and should have been responded to with a full nuclear retaliation.

Okay, dude, we get it. You don't like it. Jesus.

Lovely on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2008

Okay, dude, we get it. You don't like it. Jesus.

You sure I've made it clear enough tho? I feel I could go much further.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure most people don't feel quite the amount of rancor that our aptly named friend here feels for Suikoden 3. In previous discussions I recall most people liking it, a few disliking it, and even a couple who liked it the most. I put it around the middle, personally.

Schide on
  • Options
    Saint JusticeSaint Justice Mercenary Mah-vel Baybee!!!Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Although I don't have a DS, I'm very glad to see this coming out for it. The Suikoden series just has a special charm and magic to them that's hard to put into words.

Saint Justice on
    Some people play tennis, I erode the human soul. ~ Tycho
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Although I don't have a DS, I'm very glad to see this coming out for it. The Suikoden series just has a special charm and magic to them that's hard to put into words.

I put it into words by saying that the games are like an angel ejaculating joy directly into your heart.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    Saint JusticeSaint Justice Mercenary Mah-vel Baybee!!!Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    But I thought angels don't have genitalia? Or do they have genitalia for cosmetic purposes? Divine beings ejaculate in mysterious ways!

Saint Justice on
    Some people play tennis, I erode the human soul. ~ Tycho
  • Options
    edited October 2008

cant we just hate something everyone agrees upon?
    like, 4? ;)

carmofin on
    PSN | Steam
    ___
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    carmofin wrote: »
    like, 4? ;)
    Actually, I rather liked 4. It wasn't as totally godawful as I'd been led to expect.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    like, 4? ;)
    Actually, I rather liked 4. It wasn't as totally godawful as I'd been led to expect.

Unlike 3
    :3

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    AshtonDragonAshtonDragon AKA The Nix Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    The hate against 3 is weird, I loved that game. Played through it four times, with varying teams. The "best" one I did was likely getting a Firefly rune on Leo and then annihilating everything with Juan/Emily/Joker.

I'm not going to deny that it has flaws (lack of exploring a world map, forcing you to go through the same areas thousands of times, unintuitive battle system, etc) but I still really liked it.

AshtonDragon on
  • Options
    yakulyakul Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    The hate against 3 is weird, I loved that game. Played through it four times, with varying teams. The "best" one I did was likely getting a Firefly rune on Leo and then annihilating everything with Juan/Emily/Joker.

I'm not going to deny that it has flaws (lack of exploring a world map, forcing you to go through the same areas thousands of times, unintuitive battle system, etc) but I still really liked it.

There is actually quite a bit to it and requires at least two play throughs to fully enjoy.

yakul on
  • Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Suikoden!!! How did I miss this until now? It's my favourite JRPG series of all time (excepting Suiko 4, waste of my 10 bargain bin bux). I especially love that Suikoden has a ton of strong female characters, with a wide variety of personalities. That happens so rarely in any computer/video game from either the East or West.

I'm a bit disappointed that the hero appears very generic... reminds me too much of Suiko 4, but who am I kidding? I'm buying it.

Edit: Just realized that the hero isn't silent, which is excellent news for me. My favourite part of Suiko III was that the heroes weren't silent. I think the silent hero thing worked really well for Suiko II, but that it hindered the Suiko V hero somewhat. I much prefer when the heroes just express their personalities directly.

SwashbucklerXX on
    Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • Options
    BeefsandwichBeefsandwich Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    i love the suikoden series and this is a definate buy for me. It took me a bit of getting used to 3 but once i got over the different viewpoints i completely loved the game. I didn't mind 4 all that much, sure it's the worse of the bunch but it was better than some rpg's i've played.

i did like in 5 when you go to
    Nirva in the island nation republic, i quite liked the nod back when you fight the pirates and have the suikoden 4 fight music playing too.

2>3>5>1>4

Beefsandwich on
    Lord+Mjollnir.png
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Suikoden!!! How did I miss this until now?

im sure thats many people will be thinking even years from now. somehow konami just wont do proper marketing for these games.

carmofin on
    PSN | Steam
    ___
  • Options
    SebbieSebbie Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Before I got my wisdom teeth pulled out I went to a pawn shop and bought a playstation, Suikoden 2, and Parasite Eve since I'd have a week to just screw around. Parasite Eve looked so cool 'cause it reminded me of FF7 (on the cover and all) and I only got Suikoden 2 because the shop would give me two games with the purchase. Needless to say PE ended up in the garbage and S2 was devoured. I couldn't believe how awesome it was.

Since then I've played all the main series games and oddly enough the only one I haven't finished is 5 (weird because I really liked it). I got to the last dungeon and just kind of forgot about it.

Uuugh I don't know why I'm telling you guys my Suikoden history :P

To be a bit more on topic I think 2,3, and 5 were my favourites. I absolutely loved the skill training system of 3 and I was really happy to see them use it in 5 along side a return to the style of 2. Sadly it created a hybrid that just wasn't as good as 2 and just wasn't as good as 3.

Week 1 purchase for me! :)

Sebbie on
    "It's funny that pirates were always going around searching for treasure, and they never realized that the real treasure was the fond memories they were creating."
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Sebbie wrote: »
    Needless to say PE ended up in the garbage and S2 was devoured. I couldn't believe how awesome it was.

Not needless to say: the PE games are actually pretty good. Suikoden 2 is better though, I agree.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    a new scan has shown up:
    96188_t2_122_452lo.jpg

well, it seems we wont get a proper worldmap this time around.

carmofin on
    PSN | Steam
    ___
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    That's too bad.

GI also has a half page preview on it this month.

Daddy want.
    The "bring the characters back to life and determine whether they come back as characters, weapons, or monsters" thing sounds a bit bizarre, but meh... I still want it.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I'm more distressed by the notion that it takes place in a different world. I sure hope they're working on Suikoden 6, 'cause I'd hate for them to throw away everything they've spent so long building up.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Cherrn wrote: »
    I'm more distressed by the notion that it takes place in a different world. I sure hope they're working on Suikoden 6, 'cause I'd hate for them to throw away everything they've spent so long building up.

well, to be fair, the stories of suikoden have always included "parallel word" "different dimension" kind of elements. as such, the whoel thing could still be relevant in a bigger context, of course its unlikely, im jsut saying its not impossible.

carmofin on
    PSN | Steam
    ___
  • Options
    NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Sebbie wrote: »
    Needless to say PE ended up in the garbage and S2 was devoured. I couldn't believe how awesome it was.

Not needless to say: the PE games are actually pretty good. Suikoden 2 is better though, I agree.

I never played PE2, but PE1 was quite enjoyable. The combat was pretty interesting.

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

well, to be fair, the stories of suikoden have always included "parallel word" "different dimension" kind of elements.
    They have? I always thought it was just different eras on the same planet or somthing like that.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

well, to be fair, the stories of suikoden have always included "parallel word" "different dimension" kind of elements.
    They have? I always thought it was just different eras on the same planet or somthing like that.

It's different time periods on the same world in different places. I can't immediately recall anything related to different dimensions. Here's a timeline from wikipedia:

This is the list of the games in order according to in-universe chronology.

* Suikoden IV (IS 302-07)
    * Suikoden V (IS 449)
    * Suikoden I (IS 455-57)
    * Suikoden Card Stories (IS 459)
    * Suikoden II (IS 460)
    * Suikoden III (IS 475)

Suikoden Tactics begins before and ends after Suikoden IV.

I'm not entirely thrilled if this is taking place on another world or whatever, but it should still be a fun game and hopefully they are making a Suikoden 6. I want to rest of the true runes, backstory of Pesmerga and Yuber, and maybe Jeane and Viki, more returning characters, darnit.

Schide on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

dragons come from a parallel world, which was established in suikoden 1. they can only exist in the normal suikoden world because of a true rune.
    pesmerga and yuber are from a different world as well, if i remember correctly, and on several occasions, monsters have been summoned from different worlds as well.
    viki brought characters to a different dimension in one of the suikogaiden games too, if i remember correctly.

so there ARE a few opportunities. of course, in reality its most likely a cheap move to make up for the fact that the original suikoden brain has long left konami, but oyu can always hope, right?

carmofin on
    PSN | Steam
    ___
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Oh, ok, that's fair I suppose for other dimensions in the games that aren't shown, just alluded to.

The dragons and monsters came from other realms or places or dimensions or what you want to call them, Yuber and Pesmerga probably come from different dimensions like that but it hasn't been revealed yet. They could possibly still be human, just warped somehow. I never played the Suikogaidens, so I dunno what that's about.

Schide on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Schide wrote: »
    Oh, ok, that's fair I suppose for other dimensions in the games that aren't shown, just alluded to.

The dragons and monsters came from other realms or places or dimensions or what you want to call them, Yuber and Pesmerga probably come from different dimensions like that but it hasn't been revealed yet. They could possibly still be human, just warped somehow. I never played the Suikogaidens, so I dunno what that's about.

never played them either, just read them up. its a shame those dont get ported to the DS or something, would be the perfect time and console.

carmofin on
    PSN | Steam
    ___
  • Options
    Lord_MordjaLord_Mordja Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    IGN has a bunch of gameplay videos up. http://media.ds.ign.com/media/142/14275824/vids_1.html

I've never played a Suikoden game but it looks good.

Lord_Mordja on