As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Condensation in front headlight? FIXED!!

Idx86Idx86 Long days and pleasant nights.Registered User regular
edited October 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
So I've had condensation in my driver's side headlight for the last several months. I thought it would clear up "naturally" but that hasn't been the case (boy, how many times in the history of the world has someone said THAT?)

Anyway, now the headlight is burned out and I need to fix that. I'm fairly confident I can replace the bulb myself, but my concern is that the condensation in there will either a.) shorten the life of the bulb substantially or b.) short it out right away. I think there is a bad seal somewhere that is letting the condensation form.

My question is this: Has anyone had any experience cleaning out condensation and fixing this on their own? I found one suggestion (i think) via Google but had no idea what they were asking me to do, or how to do it so I'm looking for someone who has done this before.

Edit: Sorry, this is a 2000 Ford Taurus.

sig.gif

2008, 2012, 2014 D&D "Rare With No Sauce" League Fantasy Football Champion!
Idx86 on

• acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    it would help to know the make/model/year of the car, but you should check out the haynes manual (they have one for pretty much every make/model/year ever, and cost like $20) it'll show you how to take the car apart and put it back together.

You could probably just take the headlight assembly out, drain it, or better yet, fill it with water then hold it up so you can figure out exactly where the seal is broken, then you could probably just fill it with caulk (lol that's what she said) and put it all back together.

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Idx86Idx86 Long days and pleasant nights.Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Update:

So I bought a replacement bulb at Napa and asked the dude if I needed to seal the crack and get rid of the condensation. He said not to worry. As I was changing the bulb tonight I noticed there was a puddle of water in the headlight itself, which I dumped out.

tl;dr Laziness prevails as it turns out it was not a necessary part of the project. Bulb changed, everyone wins!

Idx86 on
    sig.gif

• illigillig Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    the crack allowed water in, which likely killed your original bulb

if you just let the water out and didn't seal it properly, your new bulb will probably fail more quickly as well

illig on
  • fuelishfuelish Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    You will keep seeing condensate until you remove all of the water and seal the crack.
    I have dried them out with a hairdryer(actually a 1200 degree heat gun, but a dryer would work)

fuelish on
    Another day in the bike shop Pretty much what it sounds like. The secret lifestyle, laid open.
  • Idx86Idx86 Long days and pleasant nights.Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    illig wrote: »
    the crack allowed water in, which likely killed your original bulb

if you just let the water out and didn't seal it properly, your new bulb will probably fail more quickly as well

That was my concern as well, and logically it makes sense. He said it had no impact on performance though.

Idx86 on
    sig.gif

• embrikembrik Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    My 2¢ - I had a car that had such a large leak in the top of the right headlight housing that half of the headlight filled with water. I first noticed it when one of my headlight beams appeared to be moving. Turned out I was seeing water sloshing around, causing weird patterns. Like when you look at lights in a swimming pool. When I took the car in for an oil change, the mechanics drilled a small hole at the bottom to drain it, and didn't patch it up or replace the housing. Two years later, when I sold it, it still had the same bulb. The thing never burned out, even with water submerging the bulb. Don't ask me how!

embrik on
    "Damn you and your Daily Doubles, you brigand!"

I don't believe it - I'm on my THIRD PS3, and my FIRST XBOX360. What the heck?