As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Fable II: Buy the DLC, or the lead designer gets it.

darleysamdarleysam On my way toUKRegistered User regular
edited April 2009 in Games and Technology
Knothole Island: a downloadalicious expansionarium for your Fable II video game

http://www.lionhead.com/fable2/KnotholeIsland.aspx
Hundreds of years ago, the tribe from Knothole Glade discovered the existence of an island far off the mainland said to offer its inhabitants full control over their weather. Tired of constant Balverine attacks and damp, dreary weather, the tribe elders decided they would find this mythic island and settle there. The ancient civilisation who originally lived on the island created the magical artifacts that control the weather, and hid them in dangerous caves so that their warriors would be tested every year.
Key Features

• Embark on 3 unique quests set in 3 unique dungeons.
  • Unravel the mystical secrets of the resurrection shrine.
  • Try on a whole new range of outfits and look like an armoured knight, an assassin, a barbarian or a leather-clad biker, among many others.
  • Brandish 6 new weapons.
  • Dozens of unique potions that will drastically alter your appearance.
  • Customise your weapons the way you want with the new augment tool and a whole new array of augments.
  • +50 additional leaderboards.

HOORAY FOR WORDS, SHOW ME SOME PICTURES!
Express your ambiguous sexuality in new ways!
Biker_Gang_900.jpg

Guest-starring Nightmare!
Knight_Spell_900.jpg

Caradhras! Beware of Saruman.
Winter_Ice_Climb_900.jpg

All new pub-games, including What's My Gender? (Don't get it wrong, chaps)
Warrior_Woman_900.jpg

FOR ALL YOU SAD LOSERS LOOKING TO GET YOUR JOLLIES BY BOFFING YOUR VIDEO-GAME PARTNER, YOU NEED TO PURCHASE THE BOOK THAT TEACHES YOU THE 'COME HITHER' EXPRESSION.
THEN GO TO THE GENERAL STORE AND PURCHASE A 'LIFE', TOO.

IF YOU HAVE COMPLETED THE GAME AND DIDN'T LIKE THE ENDING, THE FOLLOWING SPOILER IS FOR YOU
Pony wrote: »
Finally finished the game:
The last 'battle' was hardly what I expected. That fucker kills my dog and I assumed I'd run in there and then there would be an epic showdown between me and Lucien. Instead, that asshole Reaver shoots him before I get to. And I didn't even get to kill Reaver for making me older.

I have to admit that I disliked the Spire choices. I went with sacrifice because I wanted to do the noble thing. Plus the anticlimactic ending just left me confused. I hope they intend to continue this story through DLC or something.

Overall, I think it was a good game, but the ending really left me wanting.

You know what?
Fuck video game logic.

Fuck the idea that games have to end with a final climactic boss fight. Fuck final bosses with super-attacks and a third ultra form with an extra wing that summons meteors and shit.

Fuck hitting his glowing vulnerable spots. Fuck a gimmick battle where you have to run between three switches until he drops his shields and then you can shoot him.

Fuck waiting for the god damn villain to finish his monologue before you shoot his stupid god damn face

You know why Reaver shot Lucien?

Because you, being a gamer, were sitting there patiently waiting for the guy to finish his monologue before you began SUPAH BOSS-A BATTRE-YU.

He was standing there, and you had a gun pointed at him.

SHOOT HIM IN THE HEAD

But you didn't, because you thought there was something more to this then just getting simple revenge on the guy who fucked your life up.

There isn't. Shoot him. Now.

I loved the whole end of this game exactly because it flew directly in the face of video game logic. Specifically, it flew right in the face of bullshit JRPG logic that is poisoning all RPGs and has been doing so for years.
BOLD, CAPS-LOCK AND LARGE TEXT SIZE

And now, our regularly scheduled Fable II OP

Awesome release trailer
hobbe01.jpg
header.jpg

Announced at E3 as finished, Fable 2 is set to be released in October and it's about time people started caring about this.

What is Fable then?
Fable (and consequently Fable 2) is some sort of action RPG from well-known UK-based (Guildford, to be precise) developer, Lionhead Studios. It is set in the land known as Albion, which features a number of towns and cities for the player to explore along their journey. Fable 2 is set 500 years later in the same land. Buzzwords used to describe the feel are as follows "colonial, age of enlightenment, highwaymen". There are guns, but they are primitive. There may also be tri-corner hats. Also buckets on hobbes.
hobbe02.jpg

So what's new?
Lots!
There is co-op, for a start.
Both online and same-console are available (not sure how it handles the latter, splitscreen or not), but you can certainly play Fable 2 with another person. This is handled slightly differently to other systems, the player whose world you are in is treated as the Hero, while the second player is a henchman. They receive an hourly wage and there are options to divide loot. These are (I believe) negotiable, and anything earned can be taken back to your world
How do you set that up?
Orbs! As you explore Albion, you will see pearl-like orbs moving around, minding their own business. These are actually other players on your friends list who are also in the game. You can even interact with these to talk to them, gift them stuff, compare stats, boot them out of your world, or invite them in to play properly. This process is said to be seamless. There should also be ways to filter the orbs that you see.

The dog!
dog.jpg
Okay, this one caused a lot of people to play Conclusion Hopscotch when it was first announced, but has since seemingly turned into a good idea.
So what does it do? It acts as a UI. No it doesn't do everything for you but it will be very useful. Firstly, it replaces your mini-map. It does this by helping you navigate the world, looking for nearby items or places of interest, alerting you of any nearby miscreants, and probably a whole bunch of other things too. It also assists you in combat by attacking people who are your biggest threat. If you have a gun out and are shooting at someone in the distance, the dog will attack people who are closer. Pull out a close-range weapon and the dog will go long.
It also loves you, and even if wounded or injured, will follow you wherever you go even if you try to lose it.
02.jpg

One-button combat!
08.jpg
No conclusions until you've read this, please.
Rather than try to describe it myself, here's a piece from a Eurogamer preview
combat may be Fable 2's masterstroke. "One-button fighting" may not sound very involving (and the name isn't misleading: melee, ranged weapons, and magic each have their own face button, and it's perfectly possible to play through the game at that level if you wish to) but deeper options are still available.

Take sword-fighting: a single press triggers a basic swipe, but moving the left stick while holding the button down gives you a flourish move: you'll do more damage, but be more vulnerable. Tapping in time with the rhythm of the music also enhances attacks, as does the game's context-sensitive system, which brings the environment into play depending on where you're standing. Spells and ranged weapons have the same depth - guns and bows can auto-target or switch to a manual aim, and a variety of different spells can be selected by varying the length of the button press, aimed with the left stick, or used in combination.

Our combat demo is a fight through a misty swamp, with enemies lurching out of the ground and attacking in groups. It's a genuine thrill to battle them, and the way the system allow you to switch weapons with no planning meant we were quickly chaining attacks together, finishing off nearby nasties with flourishes, then taking out ghouls in the distance with the shotgun. There are surprises everywhere, most of them delightful, such as when a force-push spell allowed us to finish off six skeletons at once by flinging them against a wall, and ultimately it's far more satisfying than you may expect from combat in a title that has so many other items on its agenda.
Combat video up Gamersyde (Fragglefart gets linkage credit, woo!) http://www.gamersyde.com/news_6880_en.html

Also, it's technically possible to own every building in the game. In theory. Might wait for some confirmation on this from the final build.
04.jpg
05.jpg

There are a good few other things you can learn about what will be in this, Wikipedia as always providing a good starting point http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fable_2

Will I be let down again?
Well that depends on your expectations. Lots was promised for Fable, and those who went in with high hopes were let down. Those who didn't generally seemed to enjoy the game. What can we expect from Fable 2? Well it seems that Peter Molyneux has, to a degree at least, learned his lesson. To the best of my knowledge he has only talked about features that are confirmed to be in the game, and kept more quiet about all the things he'd like to see but can't fit in. In short, he seems less keen to promise the world and deliver a globe. With the game finished and shipping in a couple of months, you can assume that everything being shown and discussed in previews and events now is confirmed and in the game. Both Eurogamer and 1UP had genuinely positive impressions of the game, with clear optimism for its release. Will it be everything you could ever hope for? Well that depends on you, really. What is being shown off looks really good and the game is said to be a polished product, rather than something hastily shoved out the door to meet its release date. Until we get to play it, that's all you can really ask.

And now, pictures!
All shrunk a little to help file sizes.
01.jpg
03.jpg
06.jpg
07.jpg

REVIEW SCORES
http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=263778 10/10
http://xbox360.rpgsite.net/reviews/122/101.html 9.6/10
http://spongychicken.com/fable-ii-review/ 9/10

Gameplayer: 9.5/10
OXM US: 9.5/10
Edge: 9/10
Gamepro Germany: 88%

GAMERTAGS
These people will play co-op

AnteCantelope - AnteCantelope
Arasaki - Arasaki
Arthil - Honishimo
Belruel - Kismet FTW
Crazybear - Stalvos
darleysam - DustAndEchoes77 (friends list is rather full, though)
Depressperado - Depressperado
desc - pylonsound
DozingDragon - DozingDragon
Duress - bald05
Fig-D - Fig D
Gage - Gage Erigor
Gaming-Module - Gaming Module
GnomeTank - GnomeTank
Goose! - g0oseyourself
intelnavi - intelnavi
jack eddy - jeddy lee
JimJimBinks - JimJimBinkz
JonnyBot - Jonny the Robot
Kris_xK - Kris xK
learntofly - learntofly
Majestic Goat - AiroValeth
Mentis - TheCJX
MiSTieOtaku - MiSTieOtaku
MisterGrok - MisterGrok
mxmarks - MXRox
Laonar - Laonar
Oceansize (has excellent taste in music) - VictoriousCupid
OptimusZed - Batshido
PikaPuff- PikaPuff
Sagaroth - sag616
scootch - Emuchop
s3rial one - Vox Nihili
SmokeScreen - SmokeScreen18
SniperGuy - SniperGuy71
Shifty_Calhoun - CRASH_F1STFIGHT
Strayth - Wil Hyral
TheBigDaddyDowd - TheBigDaddyDowd
TheClarkster - BobaClark
The Dude With Herpes - Galedrid
Toxic Pickle - El Escabeche
Uncle_Balsamic - Uncle Balsamic
Unicron - UnicronBE
urahonky - IMAPWNJ00
Vargas Prime - Vargas Prime
Walrus Pete - Tonlogna
Wavechaser - Wavechaser48
Woodroez - Woodroez
Wusurak - Wusurak
Zerokku- Zerokku
barnumbeats.jpg

forumsig.png
darleysam on

• BelruelBelruel NARUTO FUCKS Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    add me duder,

Belruel - Kismet FTW

Belruel on
    vmn6rftb232b.png
  • HylianbunnyHylianbunny Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Before it even gets asked, celery makes you thin, go for headshots to win the shooting range, and slow time + maxed out fireball works wonders in the crucible.

THERE!

Hylianbunny on
  • HaikiraHaikira UKRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Speaking about the celery, my character is no longer fat. 8-)8-)

Haikira on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN:Hakira__
    edited October 2008
    Before it even gets asked, celery makes you thin, go for headshots to win the shooting range, and slow time + maxed out fireball works wonders in the crucible.

THERE!

but be careful with the slow time, as it seems to tack on the extra spent time to the match timer afterwards

Belruel on
    vmn6rftb232b.png
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    So hey, about the mods to your character model/dog for being good/evil/pure/corrupt.

Do they occur as you approach all the way down one slider, or do they add up even if you're all the way to one end? So far I'm 100% good and pure and have been for a while, and all I notice is my little halo.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Belruel wrote: »
    add me duder,

Belruel - Kismet FTW

BAM! Done. Also, friends request incoming..

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
    edited October 2008
    darleysam wrote: »
    Belruel wrote: »
    add me duder,

Belruel - Kismet FTW

BAM! Done. Also, friends request incoming..

wooo :D my bf is on his account killing dudes right now, but next time i hop on i'll add you

a warning though! i share the account with my 15 year old brother, woe be upon thee, o gaming forumers, for he is very much his age

Belruel on
    vmn6rftb232b.png
  • RancedRanced Default Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    it's pretty lame that the bad ending choice is
    gold

man nobody needs that at that point

Ranced on
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Yeah, my younger brother uses mine online (although not for Fable), but we sound the same anyway.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • wyrlsswyrlss Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Do you think pub games will be %100 free sometime?

wyrlss on
    K9Violator.png
  • JonnyBotJonnyBot Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    So I got some good news and some bad news. The good news is I just beat the game and was very satisfied. I started out completely evil, but over the course of the game ended up a good guy. That always happens. Very satisfied over all. Money well spent.

Now for the bad news. My 360 decided now would be a good time to die on me. Like just bam shut off and it won't power on again. I have a feeling something broke inside it during the move on Friday.

So I suppose I'm glad it let me finish the game. But now I won't get to play for a long time. Another 360 just isn't in the budget right now. Go ahead and remove my gamertag off the list. Have fun guys and girls.

JonnyBot on
  • FatsFats Corvallis, ORRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Ah, a new thread. I'll bitch about bugs here too, stupid stuck swimming animation.

Fats on
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    So hey, about the mods to your character model/dog for being good/evil/pure/corrupt.

Do they occur as you approach all the way down one slider, or do they add up even if you're all the way to one end? So far I'm 100% good and pure and have been for a while, and all I notice is my little halo.

Going from Good/Corrupt to Good/Pure, my eyes turned from green to blue. At 100% corrupt I had white flies buzzing around, looked a little strange. My face/skin also seemed clearer at Pure.

captaink on
  • EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Well I got pretty much everything in the game , and my time clocks at around 38 hours , thats a nice length all things considered. That said a lot of that time is exploring, looking for sliver keys hunting, for gargoyles etc. All I have left is a few achievements . I really enjoyed the game , its a shame I couldn't redeem the prizes they give you if you play that game on the website.

EspantaPajaro on
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    captaink wrote: »

Going from Good/Corrupt to Good/Pure, my eyes turned from green to blue. At 100% corrupt I had white flies buzzing around, looked a little strange. My face/skin also seemed clearer at Pure.

It just seems like something else is going on, as my roommate's character has been 100% evil for a while now (murdering 60 guards in Bowerstone will do that), and he only just started growing in horns.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008

It just seems like something else is going on, as my roommate's character has been 100% evil for a while now (murdering 60 guards in Bowerstone will do that), and he only just started growing in horns.

It may be a main quest thing. You can only look so bad/good early on?

captaink on
  • DozingDragonDozingDragon Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Awesome, can you add me to the list

Also, has anyone got the Emperor of Albion title yet? I am fairly sure I bought every building in the game, but nothing for that title as of yet.

DozingDragon on
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008

It may be a main quest thing. You can only look so bad/good early on?

I don't think so. I had my evil lady have horns and a pitch black dog before I left browerstone for the first time right off the bat.

I did murder most of old town though.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I will play with people!! Carbon Fyre

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • frank as fuckfrank as fuck __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2008
    I just got to Bloodstone with character #2. I'm trying to stay STD-free, so I had to restart from an earlier save after a whore infested me with who knows what.

I've got about a million five in real estate right now, a good chunk of the demon doors, and I've been doing every possible side quest. Man, this game is ridiculously fun for something so flawed.

frank as fuck on
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Ranced wrote: »
    gold

It should have been something like
    A castle filled with STD-free whores and booze.

No, I don't know why I put this in spoilers.

Couscous on
    edited October 2008
    Couscous wrote: »
    gold

That would've been so much better. SO much better. I applaud your selection, sir.

My female character has no physique, somehow gained 23 "strength" when I levelled up Vortex, and is now a hulking beast. I am not happy about this. I need to slim her back down somehow, and de-learning Vortex didn't work. The hell?

Does anyone have extra dolls? I need everything except Garth and the UK underpants Hero doll.

frank as fuck on
  • VeagleVeagle Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Couscous wrote: »
    gold

That would've been so much better. SO much better. I applaud your selection, sir.

My female character has no physique, somehow gained 23 "strength" when I levelled up Vortex, and is now a hulking beast. I am not happy about this. I need to slim her back down somehow, and de-learning Vortex didn't work. The hell?

Does anyone have extra dolls? I need everything except Garth and the UK underpants Hero doll.

you probably used a bed with the bodybuilder stat on it. sleeping in another bed should get rid of it

Veagle on
    steam_sig.png
  • LockeColeLockeCole Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    :^: for thread title

LockeCole on
  • NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Man, I'm on hiatus since my buddy bought the regular version of the game and I managed to score a LE and he wants to do the bonus dungeon.

It's ok though, I'm right at the second point of no return.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • ZerokkuZerokku Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Also, has anyone got the Emperor of Albion title yet? I am fairly sure I bought every building in the game, but nothing for that title as of yet.

Did you buy fairfax castle? 1,000,000 for it, but should easily get you the rest of the way to the achievement.

Zerokku on
    edited October 2008
    Zero, you ready?

I'll hang out at the entrance to the Gypsy Camp.

Hylianbunny on
  • ZerokkuZerokku Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Just a bit, Gotta wait for my dad to get off the net so I can hook up the 360 straight to the modem. (We have our house networked very oddly...)

6 months till I move out god damn it >.<

Edit: Coming Finally.

Zerokku on
    edited October 2008
    Payment received - be right back with your book.

Hylianbunny on
  • SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2008
    2z4wpb8.jpg

This is the guy that wrecks everyone's shit, steals your wives, and buys your property out from under you.

Maybe I can manage a better pic tomorrow.

Sheep on
  • HaikiraHaikira UKRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I'm not long in Bloodstone, just collected enough renown for
    Reaver
    . Sleep time now, but going to push for completion tomorrow.

Also, Sheep. Your character is pretty damn scary. I'll have to post a picture of my character tomorrow.

Haikira on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN:Hakira__
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    This game gives me a headache.

The visual style, I mean. Seriously the game in motion just makes my brain fart. It's soo weird. Like Next Gen Vice City vasoline filter.

and the loadtimes.

Besides that though? Not bad at all. I would even say I prefer it to Fable 1, another game that I liked and hated at the same time.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • DozingDragonDozingDragon Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Zerokku wrote: »

Did you buy fairfax castle? 1,000,000 for it, but should easily get you the rest of the way to the achievement.

Oh yes, and I did get the ruler of Albion Achievement, and the ability to purchase the titles King and Queen. However, there is apparently a special title for owning all the real estate in game, Emperor. That is what I need help figuring out what to attain.

DozingDragon on
    edited October 2008
    do you own all of the gypsy camp?

Belruel on
    vmn6rftb232b.png
  • AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I'm looking to trade hero dolls with someone, I only have a generic looking thing with underpants. Also the other co-op achievements. Also also, if anyone can do a melee chain on demand, can you do one near me so I can get the achievement for that?

Yes, that's right, I'm achievement hunting.

AnteCantelope on
    edited October 2008
    If anyone can do a melee chain on command: How the fuck? I just want to know. I've tried everything.

frank as fuck on
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    If anyone can do a melee chain on command: How the fuck? I just want to know. I've tried everything.

Ditto. I really don't get the chaining. I have tried to see the clue it refers to in the tooltip; and I'm sure I occasionally accidentally chain attacks but I really have no clue how to do it correctly.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• RancedRanced Default Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    press x steadily. count 1, 2, 3 and so on at a slightly faster rate than a second

you don't even have to fight anyone or hear the battle music to do it. when you're doing it right, you should see blue trails coming from your weapon

Ranced on
  • UltrachristUltrachrist Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Your weapon is blue when you are doing it right. I pressed attack right around when my sword slash is ending. It still took me a while. I had a really long chain going 3 or 4 times and nothing happened and then I got it on a shorter one.

Ultrachrist on
    ultrachrist2.png
  • Triple BTriple B Bastard of the North MARegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I have a question for those who have beaten the game.

I just
    won the Crucible, and the main questline has started to take on an air of finality. Maybe I'm just imagining shit, but I'm feeling like the game is getting ready to end.

Please tell me I am wrong and there are still many hours of fun to be had.

Triple B on
    Steam/XBL/PSN: FiveAgainst1
This discussion has been closed.