As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Got a PS3 and 360, multi-platform game comes out, which system?

• Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    balboni wrote: »
    From a technical standpoint, are you using HDMI for both? If you are, I have noticed that PS3 games are just darker in general - they really hit a flat black. This poses a little problem I have noticed in Uncharted where getting a little in the shadows makes it suddenly impossible to see. Also, I had to switch Burnout to only have daytime, since night was just unplayable. While much of this might have been intended, it was just not enjoyable for me personally; the dark/light aspect really made me insist on Dead Space on 360. Next PS3 game I get will be Resistance 2, so we will see with that. Obviously Disgaea 3 is not affected by this heh.

Someone else I know locally has a PS3/360 and has the same problem with the lighting in Uncharted and Burnout, so I don't think it is my TV either.

You might try turning off the dynamic colour range (or whatever it's called) in the PS3 settings, cos your TV might not support it. The colours might look a bit washed out, but everything will be brighter.

Diarmuid on
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Yeah, HDMI on the PS3 is pretty much perfect on the few tvs I've seen. I'd say it's a configuration issue between your tv and your PS3.

For the record Burnout on the PS3 and Burnout on the 360 are completely indistinguishable on my setup (42" Panasonic Plasma, 360 + PS3 on HDMI)

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    APZonerunnerAPZonerunner Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I personally always buy 360. All my friends are on that friends list, achievements are nice (and I don't really care for trophies) and so that about seals the deal for me.

There will be some exceptions, like FF13 and whatnot.

APZonerunner on
    APZonerunner | RPG Site | UFFSite | The Gaming Vault
    XBL/PSN/Steam: APZonerunner
  • Options
    ScottyScotty Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I owned/played OBLIVION on my 360, and then sold it. I'm considering getting it again for my PS3 since it apparently looks better, less pop-in, and since I didn't get to play the expansion packs I figure it'll be worth another go.

I bought Dead Space for PS3, and thought it looked absolutely stellar.

My next purchase is an easy one, Little Big Planet. (Love it sometimes when games are platform exclusive)

Scotty on
  • Options
    BakerIsBoredBakerIsBored Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I personally always buy 360. All my friends are on that friends list, achievements are nice (and I don't really care for trophies) and so that about seals the deal for me.

Aren’t they basically the same thing? o_O

BakerIsBored on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Pretty much identical, just with a different name :)

I think the PS3 does get a bad rap with Multi Platform games and it's largely down to the initial batch that were released. Shoddy and rushed ports.

Nowadays from what I've played there's usually next to no difference. The arguement that most "gets my goat" for multiplatform titles is that there are more people on Xbox Live. Yep, that's right for now...but as long as this attitude goes on the PS3 really isn't going to get a bigger online population!

I don't play that much online, I'll be honest. I much prefer playing with people I know, either in the same room or maybe online. I'm not one for gaming with strangers over the internet really. So the PS3 serves me perfectly well in that department, most people I know have one and should I fancy a random game I've never really struggled (I do enjoy the odd game of Warhawk now and then).

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    bombboybombboy Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

yes, they are... lol

bombboy on
    XBL - BombBoyGT | PSN - BombBoyGT | Steam - BombBoy | BF4
  • Options
    Black IceBlack Ice Charlotte, NCRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Black Ice wrote: »
    Gametrailers does side-by-side comparisons of graphics unless they stopped (possibly a long time ago). I normally just look to IGN or even GameSpot to read the reviews. Normally if there's something like a bad framerate in the PS3 or a long loading time on a system they'll bring it up.

I haven't trusted them in a long time since they were caught using gimped video settings on the PS3 videos. I could have let it go but then they tried to BS their way out of it when they were finally busted.

Well, that explains why Armored Core 4 on the PS3 looked so gray... as well as every other PS3 title. That's ridiculous...

Black Ice on
  • Options
    wasted pixelswasted pixels Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I'm pretty platform agnostic; I mostly just download speed runs, convert them to MP4, drop them onto my PSP, and confuse people on the train. :D

I tend to lean toward the 360 just because I prefer the controller -- concave thumbsticks are pure win, and I have no idea why Sony moved away from them.

wasted pixels on
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    I can't find it at the moment, but I seem to recall a study indicating the 360 and PS3 were fairly comparable power-wise. This assumes you don't keep the PS3 on constantly for folding and the like.

If you need to worry about "which console uses more power" from a financial perspective, then you shouldn't own either one.

You know, he could be worried from an environmental perspective.

Then he should be Getting Back To Nature with his fellow hippies at the commune.

Where they'll have a Wii.

:P

But to answer the root question, both systems pull about 200W under load. I wouldn't suggest running them 24/7 erryday as that would add up, but 20hr/wk gives you about $5 a month, even under Commiefornia-style electric rates.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I wonder if the power used for your PS3 for folding could be written off, tax-wise, as a charitable expense.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    I can't find it at the moment, but I seem to recall a study indicating the 360 and PS3 were fairly comparable power-wise. This assumes you don't keep the PS3 on constantly for folding and the like.

If you need to worry about "which console uses more power" from a financial perspective, then you shouldn't own either one.

You know, he could be worried from an environmental perspective.

Then he should be Getting Back To Nature with his fellow hippies at the commune.

Where they'll have a Wii.

:P

Though the Wii runs at a fraction of the power as the PS3 and 360, it snorks up a lot more power when turned off if Wiiconnect24 is on.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    cheezcheez Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Willeth wrote: »
    I wonder if the power used for your PS3 for folding could be written off, tax-wise, as a charitable expense.

It's worth a shot. That $20 could buy me a case of beer.

cheez on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    bombboy wrote: »

yes, they are... lol

Yeah, they are. I don't know what it is. Maybe it's because it's not a 'standard' across all games, and maybe it's because achievements had a head start (why bother starting off an all new 'score' when I can add to my existing one?) but I just don't give a damn about trophies. I'm not one of those people that cares massively about achievements - in a good way they make me try out things that I usually would skip over - but I'm not the kind who goes out grinding in Gears multi for "Seriously.." or anything.

The other reason is I just don't like the way trophies work, really. This bronze/silver/gold/platinum thing just in my mind isn't as good a 'system' as 1000 points per game. And also right now there's no way for your friends & rivals to check your trophies online, or compare and so on - which 360 has.

Honestly my platform choices aren't really made by me anyway, as almost all my games are review code, and I only play what I'm sent. Few companies offer a choice, and almost everyone (Activision, EA, THQ, Sega off the top of my head) only send out review code for 360 unless specifically requested. Thus the ridiculous gamerscore; I tend to play a massive selection of multiplatform games to about 200-400 points each.

APZonerunner on
  • Options
    EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I get my multi-platform games on the 360, due to prefference of that controller, the fact that I've started building up my gamerscore LONG before tropies existed, live, and the fact that I have my 360 hooked up in a more convenient location.

I'd be willing to get a game on PS3 instead if the 360 version was significantly buggier, or the PS3 version had special content I really wanted.

Evander on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

yes, they are... lol

Yeah, they are. I don't know what it is. Maybe it's because it's not a 'standard' across all games, and maybe it's because achievements had a head start (why bother starting off an all new 'score' when I can add to my existing one?) but I just don't give a damn about trophies. I'm not one of those people that cares massively about achievements - in a good way they make me try out things that I usually would skip over - but I'm not the kind who goes out grinding in Gears multi for "Seriously.." or anything.

The other reason is I just don't like the way trophies work, really. This bronze/silver/gold/platinum thing just in my mind isn't as good a 'system' as 1000 points per game. And also right now there's no way for your friends & rivals to check your trophies online, or compare and so on - which 360 has.

Honestly my platform choices aren't really made by me anyway, as almost all my games are review code, and I only play what I'm sent. Few companies offer a choice, and almost everyone (Activision, EA, THQ, Sega off the top of my head) only send out review code for 360 unless specifically requested. Thus the ridiculous gamerscore; I tend to play a massive selection of multiplatform games to about 200-400 points each.

Actually, you CAN check your trophies against other peoples'.

I tend to agree with you on achievements vs. torphies, though. I mean, when I play a game that has trophies, I DO enjoy getting them, but at this point I'm at almost 15K points on the 360, so focussing on starting over on the PS3 just seems silly. I'm also not interested in buying games for both.

Evander on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Evander wrote: »

yes, they are... lol

Actually, you CAN check your trophies against other peoples'.

I tend to agree with you on achievements vs. torphies, though. I mean, when I play a game that has trophies, I DO enjoy getting them, but at this point I'm at almost 15K points on the 360, so focussing on starting over on the PS3 just seems silly. I'm also not interested in buying games for both.

I mean online, not on the console. To paraphrase a PA strip, with Xbox Live you have access to useless information... anywhere! And I kind of like that.

APZonerunner on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I mean online, not on the console.

Ah.

I do think I heard somehting about them implimenting that in the future, but no, it doesn't currently exist. With PSN accounts being tied to PSU accounts now, though, it shouldn't be too difficult to put in.

Evander on
  • Options
    Dark ShroudDark Shroud Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Gametrailers does side-by-side comparisons of graphics unless they stopped (possibly a long time ago). I normally just look to IGN or even GameSpot to read the reviews. Normally if there's something like a bad framerate in the PS3 or a long loading time on a system they'll bring it up.

I haven't trusted them in a long time since they were caught using gimped video settings on the PS3 videos. I could have let it go but then they tried to BS their way out of it when they were finally busted.

Well, that explains why Armored Core 4 on the PS3 looked so gray... as well as every other PS3 title. That's ridiculous...

Yeah they were using the stock settings with the RGB set to limited instead of full and super white turned off. My brother and I couldn't understand why people would say the PS3 versions looked bad compared to the 360 when they were pretty much the same for us. It was Assassins Creed that Game Trailers were finally busted with. Someone made a video comparing a PS3 running the game with proper settings and Gt's settings. Supposedly Game Trailers even had this guy & other people writing in and telling them their settings were off.

Dark Shroud on
  • Options
    Saint JusticeSaint Justice Mercenary Mah-vel Baybee!!!Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I've heard the 360 version of Fallout 3 has slightly better/smoother graphics than the PS3, fyi.

Saint Justice on
    Some people play tennis, I erode the human soul. ~ Tycho
  • Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I've heard the 360 version of Fallout 3 has slightly better/smoother graphics than the PS3, fyi.

it can't be a big difference, because i've been playing on ps3 for 14 hours and i haven't noticed a single graphical fault

edit: i did sleep

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Okay so the switcher I bought for my monitor makes my 360 connection kind of blurry but my PS3 is as clear as a bell. That might influence my decision in the future.

EDIT: Oh hey I just adjusted some settings and it's back to normal again :)

Willeth on
  • Options
    LunaticPumaLunaticPuma Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    One thing that tips the multi-platform games scale over to 360 for me is that I have a VGA cable that I can hook my 360 up to my monitor which is not HDCP compliant. I thought I'd read that PS3 has problems with non-HDCP monitors, but I might be making that up too.

LunaticPuma on
  • Options
    Dark ShroudDark Shroud Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    One thing that tips the multi-platform games scale over to 360 for me is that I have a VGA cable that I can hook my 360 up to my monitor which is not HDCP compliant. I thought I'd read that PS3 has problems with non-HDCP monitors, but I might be making that up too.

The PS3 only requires HDCP for playing Blu-ray or upscaling DVDs. Lacking HDCP does not affect PS3 games. An "HDFury" dongle is able to fix this problem.

Dark Shroud on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Man I wish you'd been around to tell me that before.

Willeth on
  • Options
    ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I wouldn't trust Eurogamer for the comparisons either. Rainbox six Vegas was pretty awful on the PS3.

Ziggymon on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I'd say that in most cases games that look better on ps3 were designed for it then ported.

Vice versa for 360 games.

I'll also say you are going to find the difference so incredibly miniscule, so tiny and unnoticeable, you will be ashamed of yourself for even trying to notice in the first place.

What I would do is get games that do install on the ps3 that result in much lower load times because fuck load times? That's my trivial point. :P

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Well, obviously, if the game's good on both systems, I won't really play it and be sad that I'm not playing it on the other system, but if, just before I go out and buy it, I can ask "Say, what console is best for this game?" and have a site or bunch of people tell me "PS3" or "360", then why not go out and buy the better version?

Problem is with games like Mirror's Edge, when both platforms have their pros and cons graphically. There's not really a system that's superior to the other in that case, and that sucks.

Djiem on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I'd just compare nongraphical things. Some games do have slightly different features.

For example gta 4 at this time has no trophies or anything, stuff like that.

If it came down to it go with controller and price. Which version has a deal right now? :P

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Do PS3 games have a standard for trophies? I can look at 360 games knowing it's 1000 max for the game alone. Can I do that with PS3?

Mostly it's situational for me. Achievements aside, I also choose 360 because the PS3 is shared and not 100% in my control and in my room 100% of the time, like my 360 is.

Yes, most 360 features are on PS3 now, but since they were not standard from the staart, it's aa crap shoot weather the PS3 will have the feature or not, like trophies and voice chat and my music (even though i never use the music thing because it's so soft)

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    AggroChanAggroChan __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008
    I'd just compare nongraphical things. Some games do have slightly different features.

If it came down to it go with controller and price. Which version has a deal right now? :P

Actually GTA 4 did get patched with trophies, bad example D:

AggroChan on
    PSN + Zune :>
    Sillender.jpgSillender.png
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    Do PS3 games have a standard for trophies? I can look at 360 games knowing it's 1000 max for the game alone. Can I do that with PS3?

Mostly it's situational for me. Achievements aside, I also choose 360 because the PS3 is shared and not 100% in my control and in my room 100% of the time, like my 360 is.

Yes, most 360 features are on PS3 now, but since they were not standard from the staart, it's aa crap shoot weather the PS3 will have the feature or not, like trophies and voice chat and my music (even though i never use the music thing because it's so soft)

there's a certain number of 'points' designated to a game, depending on whether it's a retail / high-budget game or psn title

the developer can choose to divide that up into lots of lower value bronze trophies, or high value gold ones, or whatever. also, all trophy-enabled games have a single 'platinum' trophy, for getting all the others

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Sounds good. Still don't care. :D Preference more than objective reasons.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    don't care about what? i was just answering your question

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I thanked you for your answer, and I'm glad PS3 is doing it in a way I liked. Then gave how I felt on my personal feeling on ps3 or 360. It wasn't a jab at your or the systems.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    BamelinBamelin Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Personally,

I used to buy multi plat titles on the 360 but lately I've been getting them on the PS3 for one simple reason -- I'm on my third 360.

The Xbox 360 (at least the one's I've had) is s so fucking unreliable. I love the software but the hardware blows. With the PS3 I at least know that the console is reliable.

The other considerations --

Sound -- This is something often overlooked by folks I find that more PS3 titles have uncompressed sound resulting in a richer aureal experience

Controller -- I like the 360 controller much better than the PS3. With that said I'm getting more used to the PS3 controller so this is not as big of an issue as it used to be

Lead Platform -- In general this is also a serious consideration ... I usually check out to see if this has made a difference or not ... if not then the PS3, if so, whichever console the game looks the best on.

Bamelin on
  • Options
    BadNovaBadNova Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I've been buying more PS3 titles than 360 titles lately for three reasons:

1) My 360 is quite loud when I play games on it and the ps3 is quieter
    2) I'm a bit miffed at the DRM lockdown on the 360 storage devices after upgrading my ps3 hard drive
    3) I have a massive pile of 360 games and far fewer PS3 games, so I'm trying to even out the piles a little :D

BadNova on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    AggroChan wrote: »

Har I haven't played my ps3 in so long, I had no idea. :) (For study reasons)

Morninglord on
  • Options
    BakerIsBoredBakerIsBored Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    AggroChan wrote: »

Har I haven't played my ps3 in so long, I had no idea. :) (For study reasons)

Yea, seems like more and more games that are already out are getting patched with trophies. Come on MGS, we know you can do it too :)

BakerIsBored on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    AggroChanAggroChan __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008
    Hope more releases make it mandatory though.
    SC4 would've kept me more interested it and I would have Fallout 3 by now.
    I'm addicted to getting these things @___@

AggroChan on
    PSN + Zune :>
    Sillender.jpgSillender.png