As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

How to get a smell out of a cooking pot?

UnknownSaintUnknownSaint KasynRegistered User regular
edited November 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
So I unknowingly left a small bit of stir fry in a covered pot for a couple of weeks. I'm cleaning my kitchen and lift the top off to find a black wretched mass of just the most hideous shit I've ever seen or smelt. I had to go outside to scrape it all out and the pot is entirely clean.

Thing is, the smell will not go away. It's like...now one with the molecules of the pot.

I tried boiling water in it for a considerable amount of time - still faintly smells of that shit no matter how many times I scrub or boil.

Anything I can do to salvage this?

UnknownSaint on

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Maybe try something more vile than boiling water. Alcohol?

Aldo on
  • Options
    shugaraeshugarae Phoenix, AZRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    boiling water with baking soda?

shugarae on
    Omeganaut class of '08. Fuck Peggle. Omeganaut class of '17 West. Fuck Rainbow Road.
    The Best in Terms of Pants on JCCC3
  • Options
    supabeastsupabeast Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Just leave it in the sun for a few days. (with the inside facing the sun, not upside-down!)

supabeast on
  • Options
    archonwarparchonwarp Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Vinegar would most likely work pretty well. Get some white vinegar and dilute it in water 1 part vinegar to 3 parts water. Leave that in there overnight. Make sure you coat as much of the pot as you can.

archonwarp on
    873342-1.png
  • Options
    SunstrandSunstrand Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Vinegar would work and so does lemon juice, I use lemon juice when I buy new cookware. I usally just use some super hot water and mix in some lemon juice (1/4 lemon juice to 3/4 water, unless it's a huge pot then you can use less) and let it sit for a couple of hours. I'd turn the lid upside down and let that soak too. You might have to do it a couple of times.

Sunstrand on
    BorderlandsClaptraps.jpg
  • Options
    UnknownSaintUnknownSaint Kasyn Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Lemon juice didn't work.

Boiled 1 part vinegar 3 parts water for about 4 hours. Worked beautifully. Thanks guys! Appreciate it.

UnknownSaint on
  • Options
    GameHatGameHat Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    The solution to this isn't necessarily chemical (vinegar, baking soda, alcohol)

Get a good scouring pad (steel wool or copper) and scrub the fuck out of it. Hot water, dish soap, something nicely abrasive.

This won't work if the pot has a coating (teflon or some other anti-stick) because you'll damage the coating and ruin the pot.

GameHat on
  • Options
    UnknownSaintUnknownSaint Kasyn Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    GameHat wrote: »
    The solution to this isn't necessarily chemical (vinegar, baking soda, alcohol)

Get a good scouring pad (steel wool or copper) and scrub the fuck out of it. Hot water, dish soap, something nicely abrasive.

This won't work if the pot has a coating (teflon or some other anti-stick) because you'll damage the coating and ruin the pot.

That was my first solution, didn't do much.

UnknownSaint on
  • Options
    pinenut_canarypinenut_canary Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I know this has been solved already, but mixing in salt with the vinegar/water mixture helps also, and just keeping the solution in there as long as possible.

pinenut_canary on