As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Podcast Recording Help (Post Production?)

smokmnkysmokmnky Registered User regular
No I'm not pimping a podcast but I'm hoping someone or someones out there can help me out. I run the audio section at my church and we record the sermons and then I cut them, add some intro music and post them up on our website. Recently I've noticed a "hiss" coming through the recording whenever the speaker is talking. I'm recording with a direct out from 2 matrix channels we have on our sound board into my Macbook using Garage Band.

The signal is clean and the his doesn't appear over the speakers in the auditorium, only on the recording. It seems like the noise floor is where this is coming from. My problem is that I'm not well versed in things like multiband compression and things like that but I know there has to be a why to remove the hiss. Anyone here that records their own podcasts that maybe has some suggestions for what to do? Anyway thanks in advance for the help.

smokmnky on

• pabhpabh Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    If the hiss is high end noise, or high frequency, then put a low pass filter in the chain and close the filter a little, this should remove the hiss. It will also take the top end off your recording too. Alternatively an EQ could perform a similar function.

pabh on
  • smokmnkysmokmnky Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    pabh wrote: »
    If the hiss is high end noise, or high frequency, then put a low pass filter in the chain and close the filter a little, this should remove the hiss. It will also take the top end off your recording too. Alternatively an EQ could perform a similar function.

Thanks so much for the suggestion, this seems to have helped a TON.

smokmnky on