As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

On the cleaning of windows

mimizumimizu Registered User regular
edited November 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
I have a wide window in my room which needs to be cleaned.
Pics:
fa0f0i.jpg
see the dirty? The sun makes it more visable.
2mpad0n.jpg
the tracks
35lx3dt.jpg
From the side
2lx7dp1.jpg
one more (Look at the trees!)
That thing is a bird feeder, by the way.

The storm window and the bug screen are removed, and the whole thing in a track system where you pull the window over, with no wheels or chains or anything. To take them out, you move the window up, then the bottom forward and then down. I can't get the 'regular' pane out, there isn't enough room.

Cleaning the on the outside and inside are easy enough, but what's dirty is the non-moving parts. There's about an inch and a half between them, and they can't come out of the track. How do I clean in there?

mimizu on

• PasserbyePasserbye I am much older than you. in Beach CityRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    mimizu wrote: »
    I have a wide window in my room which needs to be cleaned. It's made of mutiple parts, and is 78" by 40".
    from the side, it looks like this:

[inside room] {storm window} {non-moving glass} {regular moving glass} {non-moving glass} {bugscreen} [Outside world]

and front on like this:

|..|.....|..|
    |..|.....|..| ((all but non-moving) (non-movings) (all but non-moving))

The storm window and the bug screen are removed, and the whole thing in a track system where you pull the window over, with no wheels or chains or anything. To take them out, you move the window up, then the bottom forward and then down. I can't get the 'regular' pane out, there isn't enough room.

Cleaning the on the outside and inside are easy enough, but what's dirty is the non-moving parts. There's about an inch and a half between them, and they can't come out of the track. How do I clean in there?

Spritzer with a mix of water and bleach in it, then paper towels to soak up the crud?

It would be easier to make recommendations if we had a photo to work with.

Passerbye on
  • mimizumimizu Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I can't do that, because there isn't enough room between the panes.

mimizu on
  • PasserbyePasserbye I am much older than you. in Beach CityRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    mimizu wrote: »
    I can't do that, because there isn't enough room between the panes.

Can't do the cleaning or can't do the photo?

Passerbye on
    edited November 2008
    The cleaning? I added photos.

mimizu on
  • illigillig Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    you need to take out the sliding side windows, then clean the stationary center window... i had a setup like this in my old apt, and it was a PITA

one suggestion, if this is on a higher floor, purchase a long handle sponge/squeegee tool... that works amazingly well for washing windows without falling to your death (which is a bonus in my book)

for the reachable windows, windex + newspaper works awesomely

illig on
  • archonwarparchonwarp Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    That looks like a gigantic pain to clean. As for how to get it super clean, I have to go with the old standby of dish soap and water. I knew a guy who did commercial window cleaning, and that's what he used. I tried it on my laptop screen and was incredibly surprised at how well it works. The best part about it is that it seems to coat the window and make it stay clean a bit longer than windex style. Newspapers + windex, as was already mentioned, work well also.

archonwarp on
    873342-1.png
    edited November 2008
    Yes, but there are 2 stationary windows, 1.5 inches apart. I can't think of how to clean between them.

mimizu on