As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Legend of the Seeker: Look upon me book continuity, and despair.

Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
edited November 2008 in Debate and/or Discourse
Watching the series premier of the tv adaptation of Terry Goodkind's Wizard's First Rule right now. Of course we all knew that they would be changing a lot of the story to fit with television time constraints, but so far only the names of the characters remain canon.

I don't know how to feel about this.

http://www.legendoftheseeker.com/firstten.html

If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
Witch_Hunter_84 on

• Options
    iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Yeah, I have some pretty mixed feelings on this show. I really dig Sam Raimi's work, and both Hercules and Zena were great fun for the most part. I also kinda like the Sword of Truth series (at least the first 2 or 3 books till Goodkind turned all preachy), and this is changing some of the story wholesale. Just can't seem to make my mind up.

iguanacus on
  • Options
    FCDFCD Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Well, at the very least, there'll be signifgantly less rape and torture in the later parts, assuming it lasts that long. So, there's that going for it.

FCD on
    Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!
  • Options
    iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Oh yeah, thank god for that. I realize that sex is a part of his schtick, but the later books just squick me the fuck out sometimes. Then he goes and beats you over the head with "Communism is bad" till you can't see straight.

iguanacus on
  • Options
    Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2008
    I was hoping for The Atlas Shrugged Variety Hour, but I guess I can settle with this for my daily dose of transparent shovelling of shitty philosophy into my brain.

Premier kakos on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    If there aren't going to be leatherclad BDSM dominatrices, what's the point?

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    DyvionDyvion Back in Sunny Florida!!Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    It was hideous! Horrid wholesale rape and torture of a decent story! From the beginning to the middle to the end... Argh... why must they abuse something that was so well done in the first place?

More of the same rantings in the spoiler...
    From Kahlan riding with her "sister?" to 5 soldiers pursuing her instead of 4 (it's a quad for crying out loud) to Kahlan carrying the Book of Counted Shadows with her instead of Richards father having him memorize it and destroy it to Richard reading it out loud to... Argh, it goes on and on and on.

If you're even a remote fan of the books, do yourself a favor and skip this atrocity.

Dyvion on
    Steam: No Safety In Life
    PSN: Dyvion -- Eternal: Dyvion+9393 -- Genshin Impact: Dyvion
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Now let's be honest - it's not like Wizard's First Rule couldn't be improved upon. It's one of the passable books in a crap series. That being said, this is television, so I was fully expecting it to be worse.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    It's actually not possible to make a Terry Goodkind book any worse than Terry Goodkind did. Seriously. They're like half rape, and the other half is some prick slaying peasants for daring to assume that they should have rights.

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I never understand this sort of thing, if you don't want to use the plot of a book, then don't base your TV show on it!

tbloxham on
    "That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    tbloxham wrote: »
    I never understand this sort of thing, if you don't want to use the plot of a book, then don't base your TV show on it!

Amen.

I mean... it could have been the "Journey of the Finder," the story of a boy who is destined to use the Hammer of Justice to find things that people want to keep hidden!

Dyvion on
  • Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    The book is basically Fox News in ye olden days anyway, we're honestly all better off with them changing the plot.

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    God, the book was interminable. I'm still not entirely certain why I read the entire series - I fall into a similar trancelike state when I read Atlas Shrugged or any time I go through the National Review. It's like a vortex of unspeakable extracosmic horror. The terrible pacing and overwrought torture scene (it's amazing he could type so much one-handed) have to be cut.

On the other hand, I do give them props for realizing you could never turn this into a movie adequately, and have opted for a more lengthly serialization instead. If it brings in new fans, it gets them excited about the story and will push them to buy the book to find out what happens before the show airs - a great way of leveraging a TV show into book sales - sort of the opposite of what they were able to do with the very-well-known LoTRO IP.

kaliyama on
    fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Dyvion wrote: »

Amen.

I mean... it could have been the "Journey of the Finder," the story of a boy who is destined to use the Hammer of Justice to find things that people want to keep hidden!

Exactly, it's not a complex or unique plot, but it is the plot of this story, and if you want to say it's the same story then you have to establish common elements. Some things can be changed to make things TV appropriate, but you don't just fiddle with things for no reason, espescially in these early sequences which actually all made sense even in the book. If the book says "A quad is composed of 4 of Darken Rahls assassins with swords" then you don't just decide "OK, we want 6, and lets give them bows"

tbloxham on
    "That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Uh, yeah this isn't going to last but six episodes.

I mean, even the title does nothing but to inspire disinterest.

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008

Amen.

Exactly, it's not a complex or unique plot, but it is the plot of this story, and if you want to say it's the same story then you have to establish common elements. Some things can be changed to make things TV appropriate, but you don't just fiddle with things for no reason, espescially in these early sequences which actually all made sense even in the book. If the book says "A quad is composed of 4 of Darken Rahls assassins with swords" then you don't just decide "OK, we want 6, and lets give them bows"
    Could be a sextet instead of a quad.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    DalbozDalboz Resident Puppy Eater Right behind you...Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

Amen.

Well, not entirely. People don't seem to appreciate that the printed media and the visual media are, in fact, very different. This was on of the failings of the Sin City movie. They probably followed the comic a little too closely. Don't get me wrong, I still enjoyed it, but it felt very stilted, and some of the dialogue actually resulted in laughter from the audience I saw it with in the theater. Doing a direct translation usually results in failure. Now,changing minor details, as has been mentioned, is probably not a big deal deal to the story, but now would it have detracted from the story overall. But you need to remember that simply putting pages to the screen would have been really, really bad.

I'm also trying to remember the book. It's been at least eleven years since I read the first book if not more. I enjoyed the first book, but I just never got around to reading the rest of them.

Dalboz on
  • Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    As a point of view from someone who has never read any of the Sword of Truth books, I have to say that the premiere was fairly underwhelming. Nothing in the plot excited me or made me want to come back and keep watching... it was just so bland. Coming from the people who made Hercules and Xena I was at least expecting some humor, but it didn't even have that.

I might give it a couple more weeks, because it is just a pilot, which are often times not very good episodes because all the time they have to devote to introducing the world and characters and stuff. Hopefully in the next few episodes they can improve the dialogue and start to get me interested in the plot. For now though, blah.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    DmanDman Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I'm mildly curious about this but given the mixed/poor reviews I'm seeing here I won't both watching it.

I read the first 5 or 6 books, and there were some good moments in there but overall I'm felt kinda pathetic for continuing so far in the series. There are better books readily available for your reading pleasure. Do not do yourself a disservice, stop reading this series, stop watching it.

We have multiple book appreciation threads, go read something more worthy of your time!

Dman on
  • Options
    DalbozDalboz Resident Puppy Eater Right behind you...Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Like I said, I only read the first book, but was at least able to pick out the points that they were taking from it, as well as where they deviated from it. It almost seems like the show is being marketed to the people like me, who read the book a while ago but whose memory has faded a little bit. That, and it's being put on Saturday night, so it's got a very limited lifespan.

Dalboz on
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Seriously, the age of shows like Hercules, Xena, Mutant X, etc seem to be over. It's just easier to air syndicated shows or reality shit instead.

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I loved the books, to me Terry Goodkind is a fucking literary master. That being said, i discovered that he was the one who had the final say on how the show was written. This really shocked me. Why would he do something like this to his own work? I would've rather not associated myself with the project at all and let the whole thing go under without my name being attached to it rather than be associated with . . . this.

Witch_Hunter_84 on
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Dalboz wrote: »

Amen.

Well, not entirely. People don't seem to appreciate that the printed media and the visual media are, in fact, very different. This was on of the failings of the Sin City movie. They probably followed the comic a little too closely. Don't get me wrong, I still enjoyed it, but it felt very stilted, and some of the dialogue actually resulted in laughter from the audience I saw it with in the theater. Doing a direct translation usually results in failure. Now,changing minor details, as has been mentioned, is probably not a big deal deal to the story, but now would it have detracted from the story overall. But you need to remember that simply putting pages to the screen would have been really, really bad.

I'm also trying to remember the book. It's been at least eleven years since I read the first book if not more. I enjoyed the first book, but I just never got around to reading the rest of them.

Yeah, see, the writing in Sin City in comic form was laughably bad as well, because Miller is an incredibly terrible writer, and his dialogue is atrocious. The reason the comics and movie were entertaining and successful is because they were bad in a retro fashion and thus amusing and (partially or even mostly unintentionally) ironic, and more importantly, because there were tits, guns, horrible brutal violence, and reinforcement of various deeply rooted "traditional" values.

The Sword of Truth series is unilaterally terrible in every conceivable way. Any changes to the story only make me hopeful that they are an improvement, although I will surely not watch the show without substantial protest that it is in fact entirely more awesome than the shitty books. In fact, the show turning Sword of Truth into bland, tasteless TV fare is a drastic improvement over Terry Goodkind's revolting vomit-semen stew of rape fantasies, high fantasy clichés, self-worship, and Randian masturbation.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    They already did a Beastmaster and a Conan series.

At least it's not Wheel of Time. /* Sniffs and crosses arms breasts. Tugs on braid. */

GungHo on
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I watched this yesterday and it had some good moments, but overall the same fantasy cheese that permeates television. I'm not sure if it's simply that no one has figured out how to give fantasy the serious treatment, or that they simply don't care. Also, how can this show possibly succeed airing on a Saturday at 6pm? Has it even been picked up by a network yet?

Wizard's First Rule was an excellent book, but the series went downhill for me from there. I was actually hoping I'd enjoy the television show more than the books, but so far it's not looking that way.

GoodKingJayIII on
    Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    GungHo wrote: »

At least it's not Wheel of Time. /* Sniffs and crosses arms breasts. Tugs on braid. */

Also, all men are wool-headed stuborn lumoxes.

FCD on
  • Options
    zeenyzeeny Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    GungHo wrote: »

You do be exaggerating now. *Glares, puts fists on hips.*

Edit: Somehow, I had no idea that this was being made. I'll probably at least try and watch it.

zeeny on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Also also, ten pages of scenery and clothing descriptions.

FCD on
  • Options
    RanxRanx Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I loved the books, to me Terry Goodkind is a fucking literary master.

really? o_O

Ranx on
  • Options
    RanxRanx Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    It was hideous! Horrid wholesale rape and torture of a decent story! From the beginning to the middle to the end

dude these books were pretty much wholesale rape and tortute anyways

Ranx on
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I loved the books, to me Terry Goodkind is a fucking literary master. That being said, i discovered that he was the one who had the final say on how the show was written. This really shocked me. Why would he do something like this to his own work? I would've rather not associated myself with the project at all and let the whole thing go under without my name being attached to it rather than be associated with . . . this.

Not true. Goodkind has no say at all in the series. He didn't approve anything at all. So we get this crap. Not that Goodkind really cares probably, otherwise why sell it off with no say...but still.

The first 4/5 books are great. Quality varies from there, hitting a low point when he decided to try switching main characters for a book in Pillars of Creation. Goodkind's philosophy only gets annoying when the characters start talking about it in the second half of the series. Overall, it's a great story mixed with Ayn Rand speeches. His message is good, just we don't need to keep hearing it.

The TV series, unfortunately, does this by gutting EVERYTHING and turning the story into, well, someone else had this to say:

"This was NOT SoT, this was The Lord of the Matrix WARS featuring Jesus Christ Superstar. By the end of the first HOUR of the premiere, I fully expected Conan the Barbarian to show up and give Richard the Triforce. Seriously, I now feel obligated to go back in time and stop Grimm's Fairytales from being written so they won't wind up in this show."

He's right. They changed details for no reason at all just to do so. A lot of the time it just doesn't make sense (Richard is buddy buddy with the guy he thought was a crazy loon yesterday? And a million other examples.). They needed to leave a majority of the story alone (as was said, why the hell buy the rights if you're not going to?) and just remove the speeches. Presto, good TV. But no, it's going to go Xena on us.

Oh, and the show airs in syndication. It was picked up by over 95% of the markets. So it's possible a huge number of people viewed this crap.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    Vladimir7Vladimir7 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I read the full series (twice actually) and enjoyed the books. I didn't enjoy PoC the first time I read it because I waited a year for the book to be released, and see what struggles Richard and Kahlan had to d this book...but they were barely in it (however, the second time I read it, it was a lot better since this time going into it I knew there wasn't going to be much about them)

Now sitting down and watching this show the other day, I just can't beleve all they changed. Like others said, I knew some things would be changed, because it wouldn't fit well on the screen.. but some of the things just didn't make sense.

the Quad...
    Boundary up for hundreds of years (I guess this one can pass, people would be wondering what the boundary is, and where it came from, but it would be too big of a job explaining that Zedd put it up so early)

Richard.. being small. I guess it could be hard getting a 6'4 actor that would fit the roll well.

Zedd and Richard barely knowing each other.. Again, this was horrible. No reason for them not to have known each other for a long time.

Making a pass with catapults. I guess we will have to see how this plays out, but I thought Richard and Kahlan going through the pass with the night stone was the first major struggle Richard and Kahlan went through. But considering how easy it was for the Dharian soldiers to get through.. it won't be much

Counted shadows book... don't even know what to say about that one.

Shar....

Garrs that look like bat demons.

You know what, the only thing similar is the names, titles, and objects.

Vladimir7 on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Vladimir7 wrote: »

My wife and I always pronounced Khalan as Kah-Lahn. Kay-len? Really?

Dyvion on
  • Options
    Vladimir7Vladimir7 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

Kay-Lyn (so almost exactly same as Kay-len) is the way I always pronounced it. However my friend pronounced it the way you did, so it was kinda confusing the first time we talked about the book.
    The first time I read WFR I was about 13 or so and I pronounced Rahl as Rail.. But I quickly corrected myself on that.
    Looking at the spelling, I can definitely see how you could pronounce it Kah-Lahn, not sure why I started it as Kay-lyn, (but again I was 13.. maybe that why) but it always stuck to me as that

Vladimir7 on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Ranx wrote: »

really? o_O

Yes

So . . . all you could see in the book was the rape and torture? You didn't read the parts that dealt with the beauty of the human spirit, the struggle to do the right thing in the face of insermounting evil, friendship, brotherhood, anything? No?

Witch_Hunter_84 on
  • Options
    zeenyzeeny Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

really? o_O

Yes

So . . . all you could see in the book was the rape and torture? You didn't read the parts that dealt with the beauty of the human spirit, the struggle to do the right thing in the face of insermounting evil, friendship, brotherhood, anything? No?

The only positive contribution TG has ever made to literature are the westeros threads, which are still some of the funniest reading on the whole interwebs.
    I tried watching this Legend thing last night. It was worse than the books. Too bad, is it seemed to have pretty decent production values.

zeeny on
  • Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008

really? o_O

Yes

Let's talk about the demonic chicken. Or the magic goats. Or the magic prostitute tram.

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    edited November 2008

Yeah, I thought it was pronounced the first way, too.

FCD on
  • Options
    VerdancyVerdancy Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

really? o_O

Yes

Goodkind's finds the beauty of the human spirit in violence and tyranny, his idea of insurmounting evil is anti-war protestors and democracy. The only good aspect of the series is that it wears fantasy's traditional fascistic impulses on it's sleeve, and in this respect the tv series is a missed opportunity. Update the world and most of the characters to something resembling realistic, but leave Richard just as Objectivist and overpowered, you'd have a wonderful satire.

Verdancy on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

really? o_O

Yes

Let's talk about the demonic chicken. Or the magic goats. Or the magic prostitute tram.

You forgot the people armed only with their hatred of moral clarity.

FCD on
  • Options
    skyknytskyknyt Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2008

really? o_O

Yes

I honestly cannot tell if this is satire or not!

TG is such a bad writer that I'm at a loss to find words to describe it. I mean the first book is about his evil step brother trying to ban fire and no one thinking that this is a bad idea, then about 200 pages of rape-torture, child molestation, and beating up kids and whatnot (often it is the protaganists doing this). This is the first book, the one people say is "the good one" before it got all preachy.

Got news for you, if that's the good one the bad ones are somewhere on the negative quality scale.

Anyway, I was honestly hoping that this series was going to be a sort of slapstick trash fantasy Hercules take on the books, which could have been actually enjoyable. Taking them at face value just kind of misses anything in the realm of entertainment.

skyknyt on
    Tycho wrote:
    [skyknyt's writing] is like come kind of code that, when comprehended, unfolds into madness in the mind of the reader.
    PSN: skyknyt, Steam: skyknyt, Blizz: skyknyt#1160