As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Nobody steps on a [chat] in my town!

• ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Like, seriously, cities in the Northeast have fucking ridiculous costs of living.

It's a completely different economic world from the rest of the country.

Thanatos on
  • SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Intensive purposes.

Sarksus on
  • AlectharAlecthar Alan Shore We're not territorial about that sort of thing, are we?Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Res wrote: »
    Alecthar wrote: »
    MikeMan wrote: »
    Sarksus wrote: »
    god i was hella dumb back then

And available. *hint*
    not that far back then

back in early 07

Man if you think you were dumb two years ago you either were not dumb then at all, or you're still dumb now.

Umm, people can learn and change a lot in two years. Like my conversion from libertarianism when I was in high school was literally over night. I was pretty fucking dumb then.

Well a teenager, sure. But isn't Mike in his 20's?

So? My great-uncle voted Republican for years, and was going to vote for McCain this election, till he was around while I watched Obama's speech at the '04 convention for kicks. Now he's going to the polls for Barack.

That's a change in perspective, not intelligence.

Res, I object to your irritating, overly semantics driven, literal arguments. The spirit of Mike's statement was clearly that his "perspective" has changed in ways that he believes indicate a more reasoned, rational approach to certain aspects of life. Calling that getting smarter, or less dumb, is not unreasonable. I find your disagreement to be an insipid attempt to foster controversy for no apparent reason, and I demand satisfaction.

Alecthar on
  • DeShadowCDeShadowC Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Podly wrote: »
    DeShadowC wrote: »
    God I could go for some nice tex mex.

Ugh

Tex-mex is disgusting. Besides chili, there is no good tex-mex. Seriously, I hate Tex-mex.

Mexican food is ENTIRELY different.

You've probably never had authentic Mexican food. Chat had this discussion the other night. Most "Mexican" food has been Americanized a lot.

DeShadowC on
  • ResRes __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008
    god i was hella dumb back then

And available. *hint*
    not that far back then

back in early 07

Man if you think you were dumb two years ago you either were not dumb then at all, or you're still dumb now.

Umm, people can learn and change a lot in two years. Like my conversion from libertarianism when I was in high school was literally over night. I was pretty fucking dumb then.

Well a teenager, sure. But isn't Mike in his 20's?

You know that saying, "you can't teach an old dog new tricks?"

Yeah, it's complete and utter bullshit.

Yeah but you can't make a stupid dog smart.

Ooh, sirens again.

Res on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ZimmydoomZimmydoom Accept no substitutes Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Zimmydoom wrote: »
    Zimmydoom wrote: »
    man I love living in the bronx

I just took the gf out for some delicious burritos and guac and it cost $18.

Amazing.
    Damn you Podly and your cheap ethnic food.

Honestly NYC is probably the cheapest city in America to eat if you know where to go.
    You are smoking crack, Zimmydoom.

$18 for burritos and guacomole is fucking ridiculous. You pay $6 for a burrito and it's so big that it doesn't fit on a goddamn plate. $9 is an outrageous price to have to pay for Mexican food.

And man, every time I tried Mexican food on the East Coast, it fucking sucked goat balls.

Mexican food is expensive in the northeast. Do you live here? Do you have counterexamples to dispute my claim?
    So, we're now calling the Northeast "America?"

I didn't specify Mexican food. I said "to eat." There are many things "to eat" in NYC, like the Asian noodles I mentioned. $3 for a giant meal in Manhattan is pretty insane by itself, to say nothing of relative to the cost of living.

Zimmydoom on
    Better-than-birthday-sig!
    Gim wrote: »
    Zimmydoom, Zimmydoom
    Flew away in a balloon
    Had sex with polar bears
    While sitting in a reclining chair
    Now there are Zim-Bear hybrids
    Running around and clawing eyelids
    Watch out, a Zim-Bear is about to have sex with yooooooou!
  • Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008
    Like, seriously, cities in the Northeast have fucking ridiculous costs of living.

I love telling people up there that I lived in a 2-bedroom apartment for $350 a month, including water.

You ever see cartoons where Bugs Bunny sees Babs and his jaw hits the floor?

Wonder_Hippie on
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    NE mexican is shit

dont' bother

nexuscrawler on
  • TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Nova_C wrote: »
    Tav wrote: »
    If I could meet me three years ago, I would kick him so hard in the balls.

So hard.

....unwanted pregnancy?

haha

Tav on
  • Mithrandir86Mithrandir86 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I just found out that Facebook has an English (Pirate) option. Life will never be the same.

Mithrandir86 on
  • JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008
    Ugh.

I just realized McG is directing the new Terminator movie.

Christian Bale won't be able to save that movie from the shit pile.

JustinSane07 on
    edited November 2008

Ooh, sirens again.

What the fuck is this shit.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • PasserbyePasserbye I am much older than you. in Beach CityRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Gooey wrote: »

Ugh

Tex-mex is disgusting. Besides chili, there is no good tex-mex. Seriously, I hate Tex-mex.

I will explode you.

Tex-Mex doesn't claim to be Mexican food, despite what some idiots call it. That in mind, it still tastes wonderful. Of course, I love all the Hispanic variations. Tex-Mex, Northern Mexican with the fresh tortilla, Southern with the Mole, Cuban and Jamaican with all that delicious jerked everything, the wide varieties of Paella... It's all good.

Passerbye on
    edited November 2008

I love telling people up there that I lived in a 2-bedroom apartment for $350 a month, including water.

I hate you

nexuscrawler on
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Ugh.

who the hell is McG

Elendil on
  • AlectharAlecthar Alan Shore We're not territorial about that sort of thing, are we?Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

Ooh, sirens again.

What the fuck is this shit.

I suggest UT with Rocket Launchers at dawn, Hippie, read my previous response.

Alecthar on
  • The Raging PlatypusThe Raging Platypus Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

Rage

The Raging Platypus on
    Quid wrote: »
    YOU'RE A GOD DAMN PLATYPUS.
    PSN Name: MusingPlatypus
    edited November 2008

When was this.

Sarksus on
  • ResRes __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008
    Res, I object to your irritating, overly semantics driven, literal arguments. The spirit of Mike's statement was clearly that his "perspective" has changed in ways that he believes indicate a more reasoned, rational approach to certain aspects of life. Calling that getting smarter, or less dumb, is not unreasonable.

:(
    I find your disagreement to be an insipid attempt to foster controversy for no apparent reason, and I demand satisfaction.

:winky:

Res on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2008
    Plat we're driving to Georgia to light Hippie on fire

nexuscrawler on
    edited November 2008
    Elendil wrote: »
    Ugh.

who the hell is McG

He started out directing music videos in the late 90s (like Freak on a Leash and Pretty Fly for a White Guy) and moved on to direct Charlie's Angels, Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle and We Are Marshall. All three are tremendous pieces of shit.

JustinSane07 on
    edited November 2008

I hate you

I thought the $725 for a two bedroom house including water I pay now was a lot. :)

DeShadowC on
    edited November 2008
    Oh shit my boots are here.

Sarksus on
    edited November 2008

When was this.

Less than a year ago now.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • PasserbyePasserbye I am much older than you. in Beach CityRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008

Hippie lives in Georgia? Why?

Passerbye on
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Ugh.

who the hell is McG

He started out directing music videos in the late 90s (like Freak on a Leash and Pretty Fly for a White Guy) and moved on to direct Charlie's Angels, Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle and We Are Marshall. All three are tremendous pieces of shit.
    oh

I suppose it's a good thing I don't care then

Elendil on
  • Mithrandir86Mithrandir86 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Ugh.

who the hell is McG

Don't forget the OC.

Mithrandir86 on
  • PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

Ugh

You've probably never had authentic Mexican food. Chat had this discussion the other night. Most "Mexican" food has been Americanized a lot.

I just said a few posts ago that I lived in Guadalajara for a few weeks building schools, AAAAAAND I live in a Mexican neighborhood.

Also, NYC is great for Thai food. You can get some of the most delicious food in the city for like $6.

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
    edited November 2008
    Passerbye wrote: »

Hippie lives in Georgia?

Hence why he's hosting our SE chat pax.

DeShadowC on
    edited November 2008

Ummm...

Soviet Georgia. Comrade.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Also, let's say I'm traveling at light speed away from a single source of light (In the same direction as the light). If I throw something out infront of me, let's say a tennis ball, does the tennis ball disappear?

If you were somehow traveling at light speed, you would not be traveling through time.

But interestingly enough, a similar line of questioning led Einstein, in part, to grasping special relativity in 1905.

Okay, well if I'm travelling just under the speed of light, then throw the tennisball (so it's going faster than the speed of light) what happens?

Or I guess that's impossible as far as we know.

It wouldn't go faster.

A good way to picture it is like riding a bike. You know how, if you were to assume normal biking posture and put your feet on the pedals, but not go anywhere, the bike would fall over? That's because you aren't transfering kinetic energy yet. When you start to move, it gets easier to balance because energy is spent moving forwards. The slower you move, the harder to balance. It's a trade-off. (The analogy doesn't quite work because it's theoretically possible to stay perfectly balanced on a stationary bike, but let's assume it wasn't.)

Light and time are similar. When you are at a constant velocity / stationary, you are moving at "light speed" through time. When you start to accelerate, you start to move slower through time, proportional to how fast you are accelerating. As you approach the speed of light, several things happen. One, it takes more and more energy to get closer and closer, until you reach the logical end, light speed, at which point it takes infinite energy to surmount the barrier. It's an exponential curve with a line at the end. Two, as your energy necessarily increases, your mass does, too, because energy is merely mc^2, or "sped up" mass. So you are reaching a point of infinite energy and infinite mass. Finally, time slows proportionally to how much energy you are expending in order to move through space at such speeds. So you slow and slow, and in order to reach light speed you need to... stop. Which means you haven't, have you?

In answer to your question, in order to "throw" said ball faster than light you would need to hurl a soon-to-be-infinitely heavy ball with infinite force only to have it stop in time. A difficult proposition.

MikeMan on
    edited November 2008

I hate you

I thought the $725 for a two bedroom house including water I pay now was a lot. :)

I pay that for my two bedroom here in Washington. It includes an in-unit washer/dryer, free water, and free cable.

Passerbye on
  • The Raging PlatypusThe Raging Platypus Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

Our chariot of darkness and flame will be fueled by both internet rage and the blood of rent-control beneficiaries.

The Raging Platypus on
    Quid wrote: »
    YOU'RE A GOD DAMN PLATYPUS.
    PSN Name: MusingPlatypus
    edited November 2008
    Ugh.

who the hell is McG

Don't forget the OC.

Oh gross. He was involved with that shittastic show too? Ugh.

JustinSane07 on
    edited November 2008

Ummm...

Soviet Georgia. Comrade.

Yeah, not Real America. The part of Georgia that's in Fake America.

Alecthar on
  • TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    My brothers copy of We3 arrived today. I really need to read it before sending it over.

Tav on
  • Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Ugh.

who the hell is McG

Don't forget the OC.

Oh gross. He was involved with that shittastic show too? Ugh.

Well, without James Cameron's involvement, chances were never good. T3 was good for action fare, but pretty mediocre when compared with it's pedigree. Christian Bale gave me hopes for T4, but yeah. McG? The franchise is going towards manufacture - a investment/return scenario for the people footing the bill and holding the rights.

Nova_C on
  • PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Though I'm not a fan of it, the OC is a pretty fantastically directed show. Same with Gossip Girl. Just because they play to a base audience doesn't mean they don't do it very well.

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    And man, every time I tried Mexican food on the East Coast, it fucking sucked goat balls.

Yeah, you don't really want to brag about Mexican food over on this side of the country. It's all in the Puerto Rican and Cuban food. And also the Brazillian meat buffets that are smattered across Roswell, GA for some damned reason.

Churrasco is good if you really like meat. Otherwise I wouldn't recommend it.

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
    edited November 2008
    Ugh.

who the hell is McG

Oh now wait, Charlie's Angels wasn't bad. At least it was true to the series and willing to not take itself seriously.

Passerbye on
This discussion has been closed.