As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Left 4 Dead Thread - DEMO OUT NOW

• Options
    GearedGeared Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Geared wrote: »
    Mars wrote: »
    Man, now I've got images of all the candidates in a zombie apocalypse in my head. Obama as Louis, McCain as Bill, Palin as Zoe.

Joe Biden as Francis is probably the oddest.

This MUST be modded in.

Mercenaries 2 has apparently beat them to it. O_o

Obama and Palin as DLC characters for Mercenaries 2
    http://www.g4tv.com/xplay/videos/34582/XPlay_Gaming_Update_103008.html
    http://blog.wired.com/games/2008/10/obama-palin-com.html

edit: Still not sure if this is real.

Back on topic: I'm sure a variety of celebrity and political "replacement models" for the infected will come out, if it is possible.

Dear god... THEY'RE IN MY BRAIN!

Geared on
    "There are two skinny guys from Illinois who have made a difference, Abe Lincoln and Barrak Obama."
  • Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    So if I pre ordered the 360 version at Game Stop, I wont get the early demo for L4D?

Stragint on
    PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    MarsMars Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    No. Griefers, as defined by dictionary.com: "Griefers differ from typical players in that they do not play the game in order to achieve objectives defined by the game world. Instead, they seek to harass other players, causing grief."

If you're exploiting the game to stop the survivors, you're griefing. And will probably get banned from the PA L4D community. If you're playing the god damn game, you aren't griefing.

I couldn't really figure out how to respond to a post so...silly. The best I can say is that we're not arguing about what the technical definition of a word is according to dictionary.com. We're discussing what a certain group of people who enjoy an activity commonly referred to as "griefing" will do in this game.

Mars on
  • Options
    expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    jonxp wrote: »
    So, I hear the title of Left 4 Dead has three words and two spaces.

Two words, one number!

The two spaces is the important part!

one of them is an integer..
    AND YOU CALL YOURSELF A PROGRAMMER?!

It's not an int, it is in the middle of a string!

You know what? I'm a physicist/mathematician, thus it's: 4*e^2*LftDad

expendable on
    Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • Options
    HitsuraptorHitsuraptor Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Old article but talks about match making

match_making.jpg
    Image of matchmaking in Left 4 Dead
    Steam is quickly shifting from being just a distribution system to becoming an actual platform that’s single handedly making PC gaming what it needs to be. In an interview with CVG.com, Robin Walker (Valve Programmer/Designer) revealed that Valve is currently working on including matchmaking/lobby functionality for Counter-Strike: Source, Left 4 Dead, Team Fortress 2, as well as the Steamworks development tools. So expect AAA and indie titles alike to feature current and upcoming Steamworks features.

When asked about specific feature sets, Robin Walker replied, “We’ve no firm plans in terms of being able to say what exact feature-set you’ll get, but there’s absolutely some matchmaking systems going in. In terms of more generalized matchmaking, not so much on the individual level, but on team and clan levels, that’s something we’d really like to get into Steam at a basic level, so that it supports any product.”

Hitsuraptor on
  • Options
    GreenPowerRangerGreenPowerRanger Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    expendable wrote: »

Two words, one number!

and this just goes to show why maths/physics are overly complicated

GreenPowerRanger on
  • Options
    jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Hitsu for president.

jonxp on
    Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
  • Options
    darklite_xdarklite_x I'm not an r-tard... Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

Two words, one number!
    Tycho, this has been bugging the shit out of me, but every time I see your avatar I read it as "Sex Palin-Too tight?"

darklite_x on
    Steam ID: darklite_x Xbox Gamertag: Darklite 37 PSN:Rage_Kage_37 Battle.Net:darklite#2197
  • Options
    FreddyDFreddyD Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Proper matchmaking might even make CS fun for me again. I'm pretty bad at PC shooters (or everyone else is pretty good). It's going to be hard deciding between the XBox 360 and PC versions, because the PC version won't have matchmaking out the gate. On the other hand, it should run at 60fps/max settings on my PC, and the controls will be better. Choices....

FreddyD on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    FreddyD wrote: »
    Proper matchmaking might even make CS fun for me again. I'm pretty bad at PC shooters (or everyone else is pretty good). It's going to be hard deciding between the XBox 360 and PC versions, because the PC version won't have matchmaking out the gate. On the other hand, it should run at 60fps/max settings on my PC, and the controls will be better. Choices....

I don't know about that, since I'm pretty sure they're turning on the match making stuff from tomorrow when the demo hits.

IGN Hands on Versus Mode from bout a month ago
    Some choice bits
    When you're playing as infected and are killed by the survivors, you enter a respawn cycle that takes about 20 seconds before the game redeploys you. It's then up to you to determine where you actually spawn; the primary restriction being you can't select a location right next to the survivors. You'll be in communication with the rest of your team through your Xbox Live headsets or the PC version's built-in voice chat, so it's possible to coordinate different types of strikes. For instance, you can set it up so a boomer pukes on a survivor and when the infected horde rushes, a smoker can lasso whoever's furthest removed from the ground and drag them into the shadows. Ideally, the rest of the group is so distracted with the horde they don't notice their missing teammate, letting the smoker claw its victim to death.

Edit : might as well throw this up here as well

match_making.jpg
    Steam is quickly shifting from being just a distribution system to becoming an actual platform that’s single handedly making PC gaming what it needs to be. In an interview with CVG.com, Robin Walker (Valve Programmer/Designer) revealed that Valve is currently working on including matchmaking/lobby functionality for Counter-Strike: Source, Left 4 Dead, Team Fortress 2, as well as the Steamworks development tools. So expect AAA and indie titles alike to feature current and upcoming Steamworks features.

When asked about specific feature sets, Robin Walker replied, “We’ve no firm plans in terms of being able to say what exact feature-set you’ll get, but there’s absolutely some matchmaking systems going in. In terms of more generalized matchmaking, not so much on the individual level, but on team and clan levels, that’s something we’d really like to get into Steam at a basic level, so that it supports any product.”

Hitsuraptor on
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Well, I'm excited for this. Pre-ordered the game, so I can't wait for the demo tomorrow.

Terrendos on
  • Options
    ZandraconZandracon Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Hitsu:

Hunh? 6 vs 6?

Or that just because the article/image is old?

Zandracon on
  • Options
    jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Zandracon wrote: »
    Hitsu:

Hunh? 6 vs 6?

Or that just because the article/image is old?

The image is just a demo of the UI.

jonxp on
    Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
  • Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    So as others have mentioned previously...

it is Left 4 Dead... there are actually spaces there.

It would be aesthetically pleasing to change this in the thread title.

Icemopper on
  • Options
    darklite_xdarklite_x I'm not an r-tard... Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    God, every time more info comes out about what they're doing with Steam it always impresses me. I recall being a skeptic back when HL2 came out, but I can hardly imagine PC gaming w/o Steam anymore.

darklite_x on
    Steam ID: darklite_x Xbox Gamertag: Darklite 37 PSN:Rage_Kage_37 Battle.Net:darklite#2197
  • Options
    expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    expendable wrote: »

Two words, one number!

and this just goes to show why maths/physics are overly complicated

Nonsense. It only looks more complicated because I need to use the * and ^ to differentiate between the exponential and the rest of the expression. I could drop all three symbols if I could make the 2 a superscript.

It's actually better because there aren't two e's floating around in there. It's more clear this way. :winky:

expendable on
    Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    So I don't know if anyone knows or not, I have not been able to find out but by pre ordering the 360 version at Game Stop, will I still get pre demo?

Stragint on
    PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    LemmingLemming Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Man I watched the intro, why did I do that, I can't play any multiplayer Steam games while I'm at college :(

Lemming on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Stragint wrote: »
    So I don't know if anyone knows or not, I have not been able to find out but by pre ordering the 360 version at Game Stop, will I still get pre demo?

L4D pre-order info
    Doesn't really say much though

But then again looks like you can go here Transaction ID redemption page and pump in the code so it should still work but don't hold me to it

Hitsuraptor on
  • Options
    MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    This game is coming out?

MrDelish on
  • Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    MrDelish wrote: »
    This game is coming out?

Nope, actually. Somebody stole the source code and it is now delayed for a year.

Sorry :(

Icemopper on
  • Options
    MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Icemopper wrote: »
    This game is coming out?

Nope, actually. Somebody stole the source code and it is now delayed for a year.

fuuu.jpg

MrDelish on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Icemopper wrote: »
    This game is coming out?

Yea he's right nothing to see here move along folks
    more chance of me getting on and downloading the demo when it's released before steam explodes

Hitsuraptor on
  • Options
    VoroVoro Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Ugh, Steam still sucks for stability. Ran into an "unexpected error" while purchasing. Apparently my money isn't good enough for them. Heads will roll if I don't get into the demo on time.

Voro on
    XBL GamerTag: Comrade Nexus
  • Options
    MarsMars Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    It's been doing that today. Check your games list, it should be there anyway.

Mars on
  • Options
    VoroVoro Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Hmm, alright, I'll see if the confirmation email comes tomorrow. Please not another headache of RB RMA proportions D:

Voro on
    XBL GamerTag: Comrade Nexus
  • Options
    Mandalorian RoosterMandalorian Rooster Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Mars wrote: »
    I couldn't really figure out how to respond to a post so...silly. The best I can say is that we're not arguing about what the technical definition of a word is according to dictionary.com. We're discussing what a certain group of people who enjoy an activity commonly referred to as "griefing" will do in this game.

When you said you saw where he was coming from, I thought you were agreeing that zombies would be zombies for the sole purpose of ruining fun. I thought it was silly to call a group of players against another group of players griefing, just because their goal was to stop the other.

But anyway. Misunderstanding on my part.

Mandalorian Rooster on
  • Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    One week for a demo. :(

tofu on
  • Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Two weeks

Two glorious weeks.

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

match_making.jpg

I think I know where that image comes from

Peewi on
  • Options
    CohsaeCohsae Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    God dammit NO the demo can't come out now I have 2 exams next week. The night of the 14th is when it can release and not a moment before.

Cohsae on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    FOR THE LAST TIME PEOPLE WE NEED TO BAND TOGETHER AND MAKE UP A SWEET, KICK ASS NAME FOR PA L4D PLAYERS TO TEABAG ZOMBIES AND TAKE NAMES.

Naturally, I'd go with... The Zombie Roomate:
    19990818h.jpg

:D Yaye/naye?

We already have that. It's called Armadeaddon.

Peewi on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Left4Dead411.com preview
    Another last minute preview before we get to zombie killing (with an hour of video apparently) goes through the whole Blood harvest campaign
    First, a word on difficulty: Expert mode plays differently than the other modes. It's much more defensive than the other modes. You'll never find yourself surrounded by zombies and still alive like you see happen in many previous videos. When each individual Infected does 20 damage per melee hit, it only takes a second to get knocked down to zero health. What this means in terms of gameplay and strategy, and what you'll certainly see in the videos, is that as a team we're constantly shooting Infected from far distances. The higher the difficulty mode, the more paranoid you need to be about zombies getting anywhere near you. We apologize if this makes watching the videos a little less exciting than the lower difficulty modes, but that's the only way to survive. Onto the videos!
    • The tooltip popup things are awesome. They show up less and less as you play more, and if you didn't have them first-time players including experienced gamers would get lost in the chaos.
    • They made the change where closing a door locks it automatically. This is very handy.
    • Unlimited pistol ammo is absolutely necessary. I ran out of ammo so many times, if I ended up running out of pistol it'd just be ridiculous. You're punished enough from running out of main weapon ammo.
    • The pipe bomb is amazing. It's a great tool for bad situations.
    • As you've seen from the opening cinematic, the new Survivor designs work out really great. They have a lot of personality and I am perfectly happy with them, even if Zoey is less attractive.
    • There are no voice wheels at all in the Xbox 360 version, and the wheel that alerted teammates to Boomer/Hunter/boss infected has been taken out of the PC version (it's all automatic now). You still have the other two wheels which I use quite often in the videos.
    • Propane tanks, oxygen tanks and gas cans are awesome pickup weapons that are distributed randomly throughout the maps
    • Boomer vomit is green. Our second design had green Boomer vomit even when it was actually red. We called it.
    • As mentioned, closer proximity to an enemy means you do more damage with the weapon. Very useful fact to know vs. the Tank and Witch.
    • Headshot gibs are awesome.

Hitsuraptor on
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Man I was disaapointed that the title last time wasn't 'Left 4 Thread' and you guys have fucked me over yet again.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    Eric_ResEric_Res Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I desperately require an Armadeaddon invite.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/ericres

Eric_Res on
    QdEHg.png
  • Options
    BamelinBamelin Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Anyone link this hands on article yet: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2008/11/04/eight-hands-on-left-4-dead-impressions/

It basically sold me on the game ... I haven't been following this title at all and it's sorta come out of nowhere at me.

Bamelin on
  • Options
    AmpixAmpix Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Yes, the title needs updating.

To make up for my whining, I will save UberEv some time:

Do you own a 360, Will you play L4D on it? Of course you will! So send a friend invite to PA L4D, our 360 group gamertag. Now supporting OVER six members!

Also:
    Is it out yet?

Ampix on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    wenchkillawenchkilla Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Anyone ever pre-order from Gamestop Online before? Will I actually get my game on time?

I just don't trust that "type in your pre-order receipt number" dealie to get my code for the 360 demo.

Edit: In Store Pick Up available! Think I'll just use that. Whooo hoo.

wenchkilla on
    gamingsig.jpg
    PSN/XBL: dragoniemx
  • Options
    UberEvUberEv Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    You know what? Peewi PM'ed me about the thread title, and I shot him down. But it's been like this now for almost a year, and at the onset, it was rather clever. But if you all feel so damn strongly about this... THEN SEND A FRIEND INVITE TO PA L4D IF YOU OWN AN XBOX 360!

No seriously, I'll fix it since a large majority said something.

UberEv on
  • Options
    UberEvUberEv Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Are we all happy now?

UberEv on
This discussion has been closed.