Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Franken v Coleman: Statistical tie

TaramoorTaramoor Registered User regular
edited November 2008 in Debate and/or Discourse
With 94% of the vote counted in Minnesota, Republican Norm Coleman leads Comedian Al Franken by fewer than 2,000 votes.

According to google maps live tracking the current vote tallies are:

225px-Norm_Coleman_official_portrait.jpg
Norm Coleman: 1,137,591

Franken-closeup.JPG
Al Franken: 1,136,019

Dean Barkley 411,890

Holy crap.

Taramoor on
«13456

Posts

  • Saint JusticeSaint Justice Mercenary Mah-vel Baybee!!!Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Franken is an unqualified, petty, vindictive, jackass. I hope he loses.

    Oh, and he was never that funny either. Stuart Smalley sucked a schlong.

    Some people play tennis, I erode the human soul. ~ Tycho
  • JebusUDJebusUD Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Franken is an unqualified, petty, vindictive, jackass.

    That could all be true and he would still be better than Coleman. Coleman wants all the same dumbass policies that Bush supported.

    You haven't given me a reason to steer clear of you!
  • Saint JusticeSaint Justice Mercenary Mah-vel Baybee!!!Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Which policies specifically are we talking about here?

    Some people play tennis, I erode the human soul. ~ Tycho
  • DrakeonDrakeon Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Woo! Franken pulls ahead with 96% in.

    1,151,156 votes for Franken

    1,150,091 votes for Coleman

    PSN: Drakieon XBL: Drakieon Steam: TheDrakeon
  • KageraKagera Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Which policies specifically are we talking about here?

    Deregulation, tax cuts for the rich, shitty foreign policies, and abstinence only bullshit among other faith-based crap.

    “This is America. We’re entitled to our opinions.”
    “Wrong. This is Texas. And my opinion is the only one that counts."
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? peach treesRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I don't think Franken is very funny

    But I support any and all comedians who run for public office on principal

    Elections would be so much more entertaining

    7u0YG.gif
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | SCREENED | STEAM ID | BUY SOME STUFF!
  • Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood Living In Fear. Year Of The Tiger.Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Also worth noting: Missouri currently sits at 99% of precincts reporting, with Obama down by a grand total of...

    300 votes.

    AEKTl9K.png
  • JebusUDJebusUD Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Which policies specifically are we talking about here?

    Iraq War, SS privitization, Drilling in ANWR, Being against gay rights, voting against stem cell research, for the flag burning ammendment, Tax cuts to oil companies, made it significantly harder to declare bankruptcy.

    The list can go on...

    You haven't given me a reason to steer clear of you!
  • TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Drakeon wrote: »
    Woo! Franken pulls ahead with 96% in.

    1,151,156 votes for Franken

    1,150,091 votes for Coleman

    AS much as I hate to quote Nate Silver like scripture, he seems to think Hennepin could break hard enough for Franken to win it.
    Spoiler:

    "Al Franken is roughly 3,000 votes down with 90% in, but the vast majority of the remaining numbers are in Hennepin County, where Minneapolis sits. With 22% of precincts left to report, that would be roughly 137,000 votes if the proportions stayed the same in the precincts (not guaranteed). With Franken winning Hennepin by 17 points, that would seem to be well more than enough to pass Coleman, though we caution we don't know which precincts are in within Hennepin, and which are outstanding."

    Pokemon Black FC: 0518-7386-3511
    Pokemon Black 2: 0519-5108-3139
  • Saint JusticeSaint Justice Mercenary Mah-vel Baybee!!!Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I guess "being against gay rights" means not supporting gay marriage? Does Coleman support Civil Unions? I will concede that the flag burning amendment has always been retarded and meaningless.

    Some people play tennis, I erode the human soul. ~ Tycho
  • JebusUDJebusUD Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I guess "being against gay rights" means not supporting gay marriage? Does Coleman support Civil Unions?

    No he doesn't. That is why I said against gay rights. He doesn't want it either way.

    You haven't given me a reason to steer clear of you!
  • JebusUDJebusUD Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Up 2k again for Franken!

    You haven't given me a reason to steer clear of you!
  • EriosErios Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Down a thousand and change for Franken :(.

    Steam: erios23, Live: Coconut Flavor, Origin: erios2386.
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Supposedly, the counties remaining to be counted in Minn. favor Franken, but who knows by how much.

    gkcmatch_zps97480250.jpg
    'we got hella people, they got helicopters'
  • FirebatMIVFirebatMIV Registered User
    edited November 2008
    Thank goodness Wright is finally in.

    Franken down by 2000 with St Louis and Itasca still to be counted. St Louis breaks heavily for Franken.

  • DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2008
    Kagera wrote: »
    Man, next thing you know Rush will be running for a Senate seat.

    The band or the guy

    because both are equally likely at this point.

  • AroducAroduc regular
    edited November 2008
    Doc wrote: »
    Kagera wrote: »
    Man, next thing you know Rush will be running for a Senate seat.

    The band or the guy

    because both are equally likely at this point.

    Nah. One of them is Canadian.

  • EriosErios Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Aroduc wrote: »
    Doc wrote: »
    Kagera wrote: »
    Man, next thing you know Rush will be running for a Senate seat.

    The band or the guy

    because both are equally likely at this point.

    Nah. One of them is Canadian.

    Well I'm pretty sure Hell (outside of Pennsylvania) isn't a place on American soil.

    Also, I thought foreigners could run for the Senate?

    Steam: erios23, Live: Coconut Flavor, Origin: erios2386.
  • AroducAroduc regular
    edited November 2008
    Erios wrote: »
    Aroduc wrote: »
    Doc wrote: »
    Kagera wrote: »
    Man, next thing you know Rush will be running for a Senate seat.

    The band or the guy

    because both are equally likely at this point.

    Nah. One of them is Canadian.

    Well I'm pretty sure Hell (outside of Pennsylvania) isn't a place on American soil.

    Also, I thought foreigners could run for the Senate?

    US Citizens for 9 years. So... 2020 at the earliest.

  • EriosErios Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    100% reporting in. Franken down by 700 :(

    Steam: erios23, Live: Coconut Flavor, Origin: erios2386.
  • tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    http://www.startribune.com/politics/national/senate/33829369.html?elr=KArksLckD8EQDUoaEyqyP4O:DW3ckUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aULPQL7PQLanchO7DiUs

    Recount time! No point in refreshing constantly on this one, it could take weeks to get done.

    Also, fuck people who vote for third-party candidates.

    steam_sig.png
  • KhaczorKhaczor Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Or I heard Run-off is more likely.

  • VariableVariable Weed and Masturbation Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    tsmvengy wrote: »
    http://www.startribune.com/politics/national/senate/33829369.html?elr=KArksLckD8EQDUoaEyqyP4O:DW3ckUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aULPQL7PQLanchO7DiUs

    Recount time! No point in refreshing constantly on this one, it could take weeks to get done.

    Also, fuck people who vote for third-party candidates.

    from what I understand (and I didn't watch closely, I admit) both non 3rd party candidates ran fairly shitty campaigns, many took issue with. I can understand voting 3rd party in that case, trying to actually stand for something.

    Steam Profile - Variable114 | WiiU - Variable | 3DS - 3866-8105-7478
    Sig%20-%20Reggie%20Watts.png
  • Idx86Idx86 A man chooses A slave obeysRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    It was at ~350 last I checked. I had heard this morning on the radio that Barkley (Independent candidate) stole votes equally from Coleman and Franken. I voted Barkley because I liked that he didn't play games, mentioned actionable items he would do to solve problems, and didn't run the dirtiest fucking campaign I've ever seen.

    sig.gif

    2008, 2012 D&D "Rare With No Sauce" League Fantasy Football Champion!
  • Richard_DastardlyRichard_Dastardly Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Holy shit. Franken just pulled ahead. +some number. I don't feel like doing the math.

    edit: oh wait, no. I haven't learnt my numbers yet.

    ಠ_ರೃ wrote: »
    cats are douches
  • RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    What? I thought 100% was reporting and a recount would take a while? Link please.

    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • Richard_DastardlyRichard_Dastardly Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2008/results/individual/#mapSMN

    Numbers are trickling in little by little. I was just going off that and nuthin else.

    ಠ_ರೃ wrote: »
    cats are douches
  • JebusUDJebusUD Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    RandomEngy wrote: »
    What? I thought 100% was reporting and a recount would take a while? Link please.

    I don't think the recount is going to matter. We use what are essentially scantron ballots. There will be little doubt who voted for who.

    You haven't given me a reason to steer clear of you!
  • JebusUDJebusUD Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    JebusUD wrote: »
    RandomEngy wrote: »
    What? I thought 100% was reporting and a recount would take a while? Link please.

    I don't think the recount is going to matter. We use what are essentially scantron ballots. There will be little doubt who voted for who.

    Apparently Washington has a similar thing and after the hand count the vote had changed appreciably. I don't know how this is going to go now.

    You haven't given me a reason to steer clear of you!
  • TaramoorTaramoor Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    JebusUD wrote: »
    JebusUD wrote: »
    RandomEngy wrote: »
    What? I thought 100% was reporting and a recount would take a while? Link please.

    I don't think the recount is going to matter. We use what are essentially scantron ballots. There will be little doubt who voted for who.

    Apparently Washington has a similar thing and after the hand count the vote had changed appreciably. I don't know how this is going to go now.

    After two machine recounts and a final hand recount in 2004 the Governorship went from Rossi +261 to Gregoire +129.

    Gregoire got the job.

    Not a tremendous swing, but we'll see what happens in Minnesota in the next month.

  • JebusUDJebusUD Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Taramoor wrote: »
    JebusUD wrote: »
    JebusUD wrote: »
    RandomEngy wrote: »
    What? I thought 100% was reporting and a recount would take a while? Link please.

    I don't think the recount is going to matter. We use what are essentially scantron ballots. There will be little doubt who voted for who.

    Apparently Washington has a similar thing and after the hand count the vote had changed appreciably. I don't know how this is going to go now.

    After two machine recounts and a final hand recount in 2004 the Governorship went from Rossi +261 to Gregoire +129.

    Gregoire got the job.

    Not a tremendous swing, but we'll see what happens in Minnesota in the next month.

    that's a 300 vote swing, and about exactly what Franken needs.

    You haven't given me a reason to steer clear of you!
  • GafotoGafoto Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Way to go Minisoda. VA selected its senator by nearly a million votes.

    sierracrest.jpg
  • JebusUDJebusUD Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Damn you ACORN! Couldn't keep up their end of the bargin!

    You haven't given me a reason to steer clear of you!
  • frylockedfrylocked Registered User
    edited November 2008
    JebusUD wrote: »
    Damn you ACORN! Couldn't keep up their end of the bargin!

    Way to re-elect Bachmann :(

  • JebusUDJebusUD Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    frylocked wrote: »
    JebusUD wrote: »
    Damn you ACORN! Couldn't keep up their end of the bargin!

    Way to re-elect Bachmann :(

    Yeah, not sure how that happened. I voted against her. I think it was the super negative ads combined with the fact the other guys name was "Tinklenberg"

    You haven't given me a reason to steer clear of you!
  • JebusUDJebusUD Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Of course he doesn't. He is slightly ahead. Recount means it could change.

    You haven't given me a reason to steer clear of you!
  • TaramoorTaramoor Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

    I will shout this all the way from the State of Washington and hope he hears it.

    "IT'S REQUIRED BY STATE LAW YOU IGNORANT FUCK!"

  • FencingsaxFencingsax Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Taramoor wrote: »

    I will shout this all the way from the State of Washington and hope he hears it.

    "IT'S REQUIRED BY STATE LAW YOU IGNORANT FUCK!"
    I am positive that he knows this. I am just as positive Franken does too.

    It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it
  • skyybahamutskyybahamut Registered User
    edited November 2008
    frylocked wrote: »
    JebusUD wrote: »
    Damn you ACORN! Couldn't keep up their end of the bargin!

    Way to re-elect Bachmann :(

    Thank God I'm not part of that district. I'm well south of the Twin Cities... We voted in Kline.

    edit. I voted Sarvi.

    This signature is for SCIENCE!
«13456
This discussion has been closed.