As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

WA - Rossi falls! Burner concedes.

TaramoorTaramoor StorytellerRegistered User regular
edited November 2008 in Debate and/or Discourse
This thread is about the Washington State Election.

This just in:
ROSSI CONCEDES!:

081105_Dino_Rossi_3.jpg
http://www.king5.com/topstories/stories/NW_110408POB_results_govrace_JM.16fc208d1.html

Voter Guide Here: http://wei.secstate.wa.gov/osos/en/Pages/OnlineVoterGuideGeneral2008.aspx

In 2004... they met for the first time...

Washington State Attorney General Christine Gregoire (D)
gregoire_web.jpg

and Former Senator from the State of Washington Dino Rossi (R)
dino_large.jpg

The battle was long and bloody, but after three recounts Christine Gregoire emerged victorious by a margin of less than 150 votes. It should be noted that before the legally-mandated recount (required by law when it's this close) Dino Rossi was ahead by 261 votes. Two machine recounts later, his lead had narrowed to 47, and after the final recount, by hand, Gregoire took the prize by 133 votes.

Now, the time for the rematch is at hand.

Will Dino Rossi manage to take the crown, and become Washington State's first Republican governor since 1960? Or will Christine Gregoire preside for four more years over the Emerald City of the Pacific Northwest?

Congressional District 8
Latest Reichert/Burner Numbers:

U.S. Cong. Dist. 8
Nov 06, 2008 - 19:35:34
59% of vote counted

Dave Reichert*(R)
111,584 votes
51% of vote

Darcy Burner (D)
108,729 votes
49% of vote

With the new information that there are still over 100,000 votes coming in from Pierce County, I'm not holding my breath for Burner. Much as I wanted her to win, it looks like Reichert will enter his third term as the rep from District 8.

But at least my House rep isn't Michelle Bachmann, so I've got that going for me.

Taramoor on

• Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    When i got the ballot in the mail a few months ago, there was this awesome muslim running for Govenor named Sayyid something, i remember his paragraph talking about how israel was taking over hollywood or something and he wanted to breakdown ties with them, it was pretty good. Also i didnt know who to vote for some superintendant thing so i wrote in John McCLain

Element Brian on
    Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • manaleak34manaleak34 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Oh yeah the random smaller canidates are always entertaining, I was particularly fond of the guy who wanted to stop single-rider vehicle use in most place.

As for these two I'm really not sure simply due to all the shit that's being flung at each other. I probably should check out if there has been or will be a debate.

manaleak34 on
    XBL/Steam:ManaCrevice
  • HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Seeing as Obama got the nomination, I doubt Rossi will get elected. We're expected to have record levels of turnout come election day, and most of them are probably going to vote Democrat straight down the ballot.

Hacksaw on
  • TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Hacksaw wrote: »
    Seeing as Obama got the nomination, I doubt Rossi will get elected. We're expected to have record levels of turnout come election day, and most of them are probably going to vote Democrat straight down the ballot.

That's as stupid as voting for McCain.

Yeah I said it.

Taramoor on
    edited October 2008
    Attack ad dissection!

Our first attack ad is the Anti-Rossi ad about him squawking or ducking the issue or whatever.

Youtube:
    Attacks made:
    Dino Rossi voted to raise the Gas Tax in 2003.

The bill in question, Engrossed Substitute House Bill 2231.

http://blogs.thenewstribune.com/politics/2008/09/25/gas_tax_rossi_voted_for_5_cent_hike_greg
    ESHB 2231: Trans financing alternatives
    Senate vote on Final Passage as Amended by the Senate
    4/26/2003

Yeas: 38 Nays: 11 Absent: 0 Excused: 0

Voting Yea: Senators Brandland, Brown, Carlson, Doumit, Eide, Fairley, Finkbeiner, Franklin, Fraser, Hale, Haugen, Hewitt, Horn, Jacobsen, Johnson, Kastama, Keiser, Kline, Kohl-Welles, McAuliffe, Morton, Oke, Parlette, Poulsen, Prentice, Rasmussen, Reardon, Regala, Rossi, Schmidt, Sheahan, Sheldon, B., Shin, Spanel, Swecker, Thibaudeau, West, and Winsley

Voting Nay: Senators Benton, Deccio, Esser, Hargrove, Honeyford, McCaslin, Mulliken, Roach, Sheldon, T., Stevens, and Zarelli

Also, from: http://www.co.pierce.wa.us/pc/abtus/ourorg/aud/licensing/autolicensing/registration%20fees%20taxes.htm
    Engrossed Substitute House Bill (ESHB) 2231 imposes an additional tax of three-tenths of one percent (.03%) on motor vehicles effective July 1, 2003. The tax rates will increase to 8.5% and 9.1% accordingly for all motor vehicles.

The bill process itself: http://apps.leg.wa.gov/billinfo/summary.aspx?bill=2231&year=2003

Interesting reading the process it went through. It also suffered a line-item veto, which is interesting to me.

From the ad:
    "In 2005, when voters approved the gas tax: Dino Rossi ducked the issue!" Seattle-PI 10/9/05

Here's the actual article: http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/opinion/243791_dinodaved.html

Quoted portion:
    The man peddling the book "Dino Rossi: Lessons in Leadership, Business, Politics and Life" ought to show some leadership. Rossi, who voted for the previous 5-cent gas tax increase, continues to duck the I-912 issue. In the gubernatorial campaign, Rossi has said he would support no initiatives because the state needed a rest from such measures. "So I think I've told the public where I am," Rossi said then. So tell us where you are now.

Really, Governor Gregoire? Quoting an opinion piece? Come on.

From the Ad:
    "Rossi supported largest cut in Transportation funding in State history."

The bill in question was SB 6865.

Some of you Washington folk may remember this bill as your first introduction to the grotesque societal cancer that is Tim Eyman. This was the bill that would replace the Motor Vehicle Excise Tax with a flat $30 fee. I-695, Eyman's original bill, was struck down as unconstitutional for being too broad-reaching (it had provisions allowing a vote to overturn tax increases and a bunch of other insane things which had little to nothing to do with each other.) The Senate then enacted parts of it because the citizens of Washington thought it was the best idea ever and nobody wants to vote against a huge tax reduction in an election year.! I was too young to vote at the time, but knew those in my family who could were voting against it because it would actually RAISE the amount we paid. Anyway, the parts of the bill that passed took about $1.1 billion out of the state's annual budget.

Yes, Rossi voted for it, but so did about 90% of the state legislature.

Overall, I rate the ad about a 6. It's not great, and the chickens and crap are annoying, but the basics are there.

Taramoor on
    edited October 2008

Possibly, but, just like 4 years ago, Washington voted for Kerry as much as any Blue state, where as the Govenor race was litterally 50/50. I'm sure everyone who voted Rossi will vote for him again, plus, and this is just an assumption, seeing how Washington is a fairly strong Blue state, I doubt the new voter turnout here will be as strong as people assume since people don't feel like it depends on them so much.

Element Brian on

Arch,
    edited October 2008

Possibly, but, just like 4 years ago, Washington voted for Kerry as much as any Blue state, where as the Govenor race was litterally 50/50. I'm sure everyone who voted Rossi will vote for him again, plus, and this is just an assumption, seeing how Washington is a fairly strong Blue state, I doubt the new voter turnout here will be as strong as people assume since people don't feel like it depends on them so much.

When you talk like that it almost makes Washington sound like a swing state.

Imagine if all the people determined to elect Rossi come out and vote McCain as well, and a lot of Democrats stay home because our state is "Safe".

I'll call it now. If Washington goes Red I'm blaming you.

Taramoor on
    edited October 2008
    Taramoor wrote: »

When you talk like that it almost makes Washington sound like a swing state.

Imagine if all the people determined to elect Rossi come out and vote McCain as well, and a lot of Democrats stay home because our state is "Safe".

I'll call it now. If Washington goes Red I'm blaming you.

I dont want that kind of guilt.

Anyway alot of people that voted for rossi 4 years ago also voted for kerry, i see the same thing happening, just by a even bigger margin

Element Brian on

Arch,
    edited October 2008
    Debate tomorrow night at 8 o'clock

More fact checking!

From the Seattle Times: http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2008229116_debatetruth05m0.html

I'm just going to quote the whole bloody thing.
    The truth behind claims by Rossi, Gregoire
    When Gov. Christine Gregoire and Republican Dino Rossi debate again Thursday in Spokane, there's a good chance they'll say something that's not exactly true. Context and nuance tend to fall away in the sound bites and shorthand references that both candidates have used in the three times they've met so far.

By Andrew Garber

Seattle Times staff reporter

Rossi-Gregoire debates

Thursday in Spokane: Taped in the morning and aired the same day at 7 p.m. on KCTS public television in Seattle and KSPS in Spokane.
    Oct. 15 in Seattle: Aired live at 8 p.m. on KING 5, Northwest Cable and KUOW radio.
    OLYMPIA — When Gov. Christine Gregoire and Republican Dino Rossi debate again Thursday in Spokane, there's a good chance they'll say something that's not quite true.

Context and nuance tend to fall away in the sound bites and shorthand that both candidates use when they face off.

Gregoire, for instance, has repeatedly said, "when I came into office I inherited my opponent's $2.2 billion deficit." And Rossi, talking about the same budget, has said he balanced it "without raising taxes."

Neither of those statements is accurate.

Here are some of the candidates' most common claims and the truth behind them.

The state budget

Gregoire's claim: Rossi wrote a budget in 2003 that left Gregoire with a looming $2.2 billion deficit when she came into office in January 2005.

The facts: Then-Gov. Gary Locke, a Democrat, was a chief architect of the budget. Rossi, chairman of the Senate Ways and Means Committee at the time, also played an important role in making changes and getting it passed.

The projected deficit in December 2003 — a month after Rossi announced he was running for governor the first time — was about $1 billion for the 2005-07 budget.

Several things happened after December 2003 to increase the shortfall.

In 2004, after Rossi had left office to run for governor, the Legislature increased spending. Also that year, the cost to provide certain services, such as health care for the poor, rose.

Then, in 2005, after Gregoire was elected, two state Supreme Court decisions — including a ruling that overturned the state estate tax — dug the hole even deeper.

Add it all up and you get to the $2.2 billion deficit Gregoire blames on Rossi. However, most of it happened after he left office.

Rossi's claim: As chairman of the Senate Ways and Means Committee, he wrote a balanced budget in 2003 that closed a large shortfall and did not increase taxes.

The facts: The 2003-05 budget raised about $14 million from a 42 cent-per-liter surcharge on liquor, according to legislative analysts. It also charged nursing homes a tax of $6.50 per bed, per day.

Most of the debate regarding this issue has been over the so-called bed tax.

Nursing homes with large numbers of residents receiving Medicaid asked the Legislature to levy the tax as a way to get more matching federal dollars and boost their overall funding.

Here's how it worked: The state charged the $6.50 tax but sent most of the money it generated back to nursing homes to offset the cost of the tax.

In the end, the state ended up keeping $24 million out of the deal and nursing homes with Medicaid clients ended up with an additional $34 million in state and federal money, according to the state Department of Social and Heath Services.

However, nursing homes that receive little to no public funding — roughly a third of all beds in the state — had to pay the tax, too, but didn't get enough back to cover the cost. The tax was phased out in 2007.

So the budget did raise taxes, although the bed tax largely affected those who had asked for it.

Gregoire's claim: As chairman of the Senate Ways and Means Committee, Rossi cut $1 billion out of education in the 2003-05 budget.

The facts: Again, both Locke and Rossi created the budget.

Documents provided by the governor's budget office indicate the 2003-05 budget made real cuts in education spending of about $214 million, including a $131 million cut in higher education.

The rest of the money the governor was referring to, according to her budget office, was in reductions in proposed increases in spending. In other words, the state did not reduce funding; the increase was just smaller than planned.

Overall, education spending actually increased $300 million.

Rossi's claim: Gregoire has increased state spending by $8 billion since she was elected, and that created a $3.2 billion budget deficit.

The facts: The state does not have a deficit right now. It has a balanced budget and about $529 million in reserves.

However, the economy is in rough shape and tax-revenue growth is slowing more than expected.

As a result, the state Senate Ways and Means Committee projects the state will fall about $3.2 billion short of what's needed to keep state services at current levels in the next two-year budget, which will go into effect July 1.

That's the gap Rossi is talking about. The shortfall could get even bigger if the economy continues to deteriorate, or it could get smaller if things improve.

Stem-cell research

Rossi's claim: Gregoire advocated a stem-cell-research center during her 2004 run for governor but didn't follow through on her promise.

The facts: Gregoire did talk about creating a Washington Institute of Stem Cell Research. Her campaign Web site at the time said she wanted to create a Life Sciences Discovery Fund, which would help start the stem-cell research center.

But once Gregoire took office, the idea fell off the agenda; it's not clear why. Legislators and others involved in creating the Discovery Fund said there wasn't a strong push for the center.

The governor's office said the idea was dropped because of opposition, adding that Gregoire "was told she would not get the buy-in from the Legislature for such a project." Her office would not say who warned the governor.

Gregoire and the Legislature ended up creating a 10-year, $350 million Life Sciences Discovery Fund that was open to funding stem-cell research but was not limited to that. To date, the fund has not awarded any grants for stem-cell research.

Gregoire's claim: Rossi opposes embryonic stem-cell research. Gregoire also ran a television ad that implied Rossi opposed all stem-cell research.

The facts: Rossi does oppose embryonic stem-cell research. However, he supports research using adult stem cells.

Transportation

Rossi's claim: His proposed transportation plan would provide $15 billion for highway projects across the state, in part by using taxes now going to the state general fund. Rossi has said his funding plan would only "take a narrow sliver of the general fund, 40 percent of the sales tax on new and used vehicles."

The facts: The state Department of Revenue projects that Rossi's proposal would take about $900 million from the general fund in 2010 and 2011 alone. The current two-year general-fund budget is $33.6 billion. Rossi's proposal, then, would amount to about 2.7 percent of the current general fund (keep in mind that the general fund is likely to change with the next budget cycle).

Gregoire's claim: Rossi's transportation plan would cut almost $1 billion out of education. "It's kids' education," the governor said in one debate. "For every single class across the state of Washington, kindergarten through fourth grade, they are going to have five more students in that classroom."

The facts: Rossi's proposal would take about $900 million from the general fund in the next two-year budget. But there is no way to know how much of that would come from education.

Roughly half the general fund goes to public schools and higher education. The rest funds a variety of programs that include health care, the state prison system and debt payments.

The Legislature would have to cut funding or raise taxes to fill the gap, but there's no law that says the whole $900 million would have to come out of public-school funding. And there is no reason to believe the Democrat-controlled Legislature would pack more children into classrooms in order to pay for transportation projects.

Also the last Gubernertorial debate is tomorrow night on King 5 after the Presidential.

Should be entertaining.

Taramoor on
  • SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Whoever is running Gregoire's campaign should be fired.

Seriously. Her ads suck.

Schrodinger on
    edited October 2008
    Well, after watching the debate I've started to compile a list:

I hate Dino Rossi for the following reasons:

1. She's the sitting governor of the state you live in and represented for many years. She's standing five feet from you. SAY HER GODDAMNED NAME! Calling her"The Incumbent" repeatedly just makes me want to punch you in the teeth.

2. Passion is an important thing. You sound like everything you're saying is on a teleprompter in front of you. Emotion is not a negative for a gubernertorial candidate.

3. You have no understanding of Economics or tax law.

4. You repeat yourself and avoid the question worse than Sarah Palin does.

I hate Christine Gregoire for the following reasons:

1. He was a senator from Washington for many years and is standing five feet away. You aren't as bad as Rossi about this, but calling him "the opponent" is just as annoying as all the times he calls you "The incumbent".

2. Go on the attack, damnit! He's lying through his teeth.

Being an informed voter sucks, because I can watch this and know exactly where they're both lying (he's worse than she is) yet know that the average person watching will believe them.

Taramoor on
  • ZenitramZenitram Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I see ads in the Portland area all the time about Rossi vs. Gregoire. It's very annoying to see attack ads for another state's candidates.

Zenitram on
    edited October 2008
    I'm interviewing Gregoire on Wednesday. Anyone have suggestions for questions?

Schrodinger on
    edited October 2008
    Moving Washington state election discussion in here.
    Preacher wrote: »
    PantsB wrote: »

Rossi is a R when its not good to be a R and its even worse to be a possibly dirty R.

Rossi is an R in washington state who isn't really associated with the McCain campaign or national R's also he has the stigma of getting screwed gore style in the last election. That this isn't a cake walk for him is surprising.

A significant portion of the Rs in Mass are to the left of the majority of the D party to the point that they are pro-same sex marriage. Doesn't mean they aren't being punished the last 6 years for having a R next to their names.

I suppose it's a good thing that the ticket actually reads:

Christine Gregoire - (D)

Dino Rossi - (G)

It pisses me the fuck off that Dino Rossi can get away with putting "Prefers G.O.P. Party" on the ticket for two reasons.

1. It shows he's an unprincipled jackass. Yes the Republican stigma sucks right now but it's the party you caucus with, own up to it for fuck's sake.

2. It literally says "Prefers Good Old Party Party". That, much like ATM Machine and PIN Number, pisses me off.

All of the pubs in washington seem to have that. Though I did vote for Mckenna, Attorney General shouldn't be a partisan position.

It should help that McKenna is fucking awesome. I was listening to both AG candidates on the radio this morning and McKenna knows his shit and is not a douchebag*

*This is an important point for me in elections.

Taramoor on
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Moving Washington state election discussion in here.

Rossi is a R when its not good to be a R and its even worse to be a possibly dirty R.

Rossi is an R in washington state who isn't really associated with the McCain campaign or national R's also he has the stigma of getting screwed gore style in the last election. That this isn't a cake walk for him is surprising.

A significant portion of the Rs in Mass are to the left of the majority of the D party to the point that they are pro-same sex marriage. Doesn't mean they aren't being punished the last 6 years for having a R next to their names.

I suppose it's a good thing that the ticket actually reads:

Christine Gregoire - (D)

Dino Rossi - (G)

It pisses me the fuck off that Dino Rossi can get away with putting "Prefers G.O.P. Party" on the ticket for two reasons.

1. It shows he's an unprincipled jackass. Yes the Republican stigma sucks right now but it's the party you caucus with, own up to it for fuck's sake.

2. It literally says "Prefers Good Old Party Party". That, much like ATM Machine and PIN Number, pisses me off.

All of the pubs in washington seem to have that. Though I did vote for Mckenna, Attorney General shouldn't be a partisan position.

It should help that McKenna is fucking awesome. I was listening to both AG candidates on the radio this morning and McKenna knows his shit and is not a douchebag*

*This is an important point for me in elections.

Thanks for showing me this was here, I wanted to discuss local, but keep up my prediction for McCain victory.

Yeah I hate how the dem challenger to Mckenna is basically saying "DEM DEM DEM DEM Vote" where as Mckenna hardly mentions his party, because Attorney General shouldn't be a fucking partiasn position. Like the District Attorney for Seattle.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited November 2008
    Current standings:

Christine Gregoire has a lead of about 150,000 votes, but there have been NO RETURNS from Pierce County at this time. Pierce County is Rossi country, so let's see what happens.

At last count, Darcy Burner leads Dave Reichert with 57% of the vote.

I-985 fails.

I-1000 passes.

I-1029 passes overwhelmingly.

Any other races we're watching?

Taramoor on
  • HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I haven't heard anything about Prop 1 yet.

Houn on
  • FarseerBaradasFarseerBaradas Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Houn wrote: »
    I haven't heard anything about Prop 1 yet.

Currently looks like it's passing. More info here.

http://your.kingcounty.gov/elections/200811/results.aspx

FarseerBaradas on
    sigeb2.png
    edited November 2008
    Race called for Christine Gregoire.

Taramoor on
    edited November 2008
    Reichert closing distance on Burner.

Now 53% to 47% favoring Burner. 87% of the total vote left to count, according to King-5

Taramoor on
    edited November 2008
    With 50% of the precincts reporting:

Darcy Burner: 50% - 46,068

Dave Reichert: 50% - 45,347

Christine Gregoire: 54% - 803,405

Dino Rossi: 46% - 697,342

Rossi's been picking up ground at a terrifying pace since Pierce County started coming in. We've got ourselves another barn-burner here folks.

Taramoor on
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Anyone have the latest on the 8th? I'd really like my first time voting to get them their first Dem.

Quid on
    edited November 2008
    Currently tied at 50%

A difference of 900 votes with Reichert ahead and 55% of the precincts in.

Reichert - 69,627
    Burner - 68,746

Taramoor on
    edited November 2008
    Currently tied at 50%

Reichert - 69,627
    Burner - 68,746

Well, our course is clear. Taramoor, you have to become the new Green River Killer and let Darcy catch you to further her political career. It's the only way!

Houn on
    edited November 2008
    Currently tied at 50%

Reichert - 69,627
    Burner - 68,746

Well, our course is clear. Taramoor, you have to become the new Green River Killer and let Darcy catch you to further her political career. It's the only way!

Way ahead of you, Houn.

Wait, what?

Taramoor on
    edited November 2008
    Also, those stats are still the same, but one difference.

Google maps says that 56% of Precincts are reporting, and those are the votes that currently stand.

King5.com, however, has those same results and says 37% of the vote has been counted.

Taramoor on
    edited November 2008
    I've been taking photos from the past week or so. Here are some highlights:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/26781381@N02/

Bellevue Gregoire Office vs. Bellevue Rossi Office, both taken at around the same time one week before the election:
    2990245788_10292c2886.jpg
    2989392163_dee768e940.jpg

11/2 Seattle Rally with Gregoire, Dean, Cantwell, and Murray:
    3002319618_9a2d532f14.jpg
    3002319658_ab23d48eb3.jpg

11/3, the last day before the election. Reichert's office was much busier than Burner's office, although keep in mind that he shares his HQ with McCain. I also attended a Rossi event where the first thing they did was inspect my bag for any video equipment, because apparently you weren't allowed to tape. Seeing as how I was press and how this was a public event, that struck me as an incredibly douchey thing to do. The blonde girl in the last picture apparently recognized me from HS, which was strange, because the two of us never hung out together, and I dressed completely different back then.
    3001483235_04c936198e.jpg
    3001483403_8488c68b07.jpg
    3002320326_8f2f7455e2.jpg
    3001483857_f4ddf48896.jpg
    3005236371_05a7d96908.jpg

11/4: Sign wavers in bellevue at the corner of 8th and 116th (Gregoire's office was down the street). This was an annoying street to photograph, because of how rarely the crosswalks would change. I like the shot of the first guy, because the way he holds up the sign reminds me of John Cusack from "Say Anything." At one point, some girls decided to take a huge Gregoire sign across the street to take on the Rossi people head on. Apparently, the Rossi people were evangeliticals shouting things like "Pro-life, not pro-murder!", and there was a priest trying to convince everyone that Obama was trying to kill babies. One of the Gregoire people I spoke to said, "It's amazing how the stereotype pretty much comes to life here." BTW, you notice that Obama cartoon on the back of the pro-Rossi sign at the bottom? I wish I had noticed that yesterday and had gotten a close up. Because it doesn't look like it'd be a good message.
    3005236657_1539cb4209.jpg
    3005237327_436b8aabca.jpg
    3005237517_f1b464a6a6.jpg
    3006073320_96aab9b5ca.jpg

11/4: Last minute campaign office shots. Both the Bellevue Gregoire office and the Burner office had dwindled down. The Bellevue Gregoire Office told me that they had already completed their phone banking list, so no they were calling again to double check and canvassing. At the Burner Office, apparently the food is labeled for allergies and moral convictions and people in the back room track the news. Lots of home made food and lots of carbs. Reichert's Office, again, was really busy, and one of the staffers was giving minute-by-minute electoral college updates according to FOX News "Because they're more decisive and willing to call things earlier." The Rossi Office already cleared out for the election party by the time I arrived at 6pm, despite the fact that the party didn't start until 8pm. There was literally only one guy there when I showed up, and I didn't even ask if I could take a photo because it seemed to embarassing. I also visited Gregoire's main office in Seattle for the first time before attending the Seattle party:
    3005238337_a57092d460.jpg
    3005238489_69035c9088.jpg
    3005238969_5eeaa42eb4.jpg
    3006075932_4922c183c4.jpg

11/4 Seattle Obama/Gregoire Party. I don't know the exact numbers in attendance, but it was pretty huge. I attended from 8-10pm. I had to ask random tall people in the audience to hold up my camera for me in order to get some decent perspective of the crowds.
    3005240591_459fa45c01.jpg
    3006077018_c2b283cda7.jpg
    3006077554_29cc9ef9e0.jpg
    3005242659_9654b2a8e7.jpg

11/4 Here is the Rossi/Reichert party in Bellevue. I attended 10-12. Not nearly as crowded, partly due to my late arrival, but mainly due to a much, much smaller room. If this were a college classroom, then it might seat a hundred or so students. I spoke to a democrat I knew from college who told me he left the Gregoire party for this due to the free booze -- and then I pointed out that it's much easier to provide free booze when you're only dealing with a few hundred people. By the time I arrived, Reichert was leaving, and the only speaker left was McKenna. There's a shot there where some people applaud Rossi for refusing to concede. I spent about 30 minutes talking to a young republican who wanted to know what republicans needed to do to appeal to the young Asian vote.
    3005243173_25b2cddb7b.jpg
    3005243975_088fb3aeb6.jpg
    3005243573_35253a869b.jpg
    3005244105_e50d5635a4.jpg
    3006080586_27ea70db7d.jpg
    3005245213_a048b783f4.jpg
    3006081120_dc6f2833a1.jpg

11/5: I arrive to the Burner party at midnight, as everything winds down. Some final shots before I go home, exhausted:
    3006081624_30c86cb15f.jpg
    3005246421_3317046ed9.jpg

Schrodinger on
    edited November 2008
    ROSSI CONCEDES:
    081105_Dino_Rossi_3.jpg
    http://www.king5.com/topstories/stories/NW_110408POB_results_govrace_JM.16fc208d1.html

New numbers in Reichert/Burner with 38% of the vote counted.

Reichert - 51% - 70,935

Burner - 49% - 69,489

From King 5: http://www.king5.com/election/results.html?federal

Taramoor on
  • RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Woo! Eat it, you party-changing dickface.

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
    edited November 2008
    New Burner/Reichert Numbers!

U.S. Cong. Dist. 8
    Nov 05, 2008 - 14:54:10
    45% of vote counted

Dave Reichert*(R)
    83,271 votes
    50% of vote

Darcy Burner (D)
    82,657 votes
    50% of vote

Difference: 614 votes.

A brief reminder. The total vote turnout in '06 was 250,000 votes (rounded) so we've got another 90,000 votes coming in AT MINIMUM.

According to vote.wa.gov so far not a single ballot cast has not voted on this race or written in a different candidate.

Taramoor on
    edited November 2008
    I am shocked that not only did Gregoire pull a win, but she managed to win conclusively. Her ad campaign sucked, so I would have to attribute it to a superior ground campaign, and the fact that she aggressively pursued the vote in Eastern Washington. Fucking kick ass.

I can't really attribute it to an Obama bump, because otherwise, Burner would have taken it as well.

Schrodinger on
    edited November 2008
    This just in.

The numbers stand at:

Dave Reichert*(R)
    83,271 votes
    50% of vote

Darcy Burner (D)
    82,657 votes
    50% of vote

Pierce County, a Republican stronghold for the last hojillion years, has now finished processing its votes.

King County, which very slightly so far has been favoring Burner, has a predicted 357,679 votes left to count.

If current trends continue the predicted outcome puts Reichert and Burner separated by less than a fifty votes.

The rest of King County's votes (All 350,000 of them) should be processed by 11:30 tonight PST.

We'll either have a victor or a recount at that point.

Taramoor on
    edited November 2008
    I am shocked that not only did Gregoire pull a win, but she managed to win conclusively. Her ad campaign sucked, so I would have to attribute it to a superior ground campaign, and the fact that she aggressively pursued the vote in Eastern Washington. Fucking kick ass.

I can't really attribute it to an Obama bump, because otherwise, Burner would have taken it as well.

The 8th District is sorta famous for being Pub-leaning; it's never elected a Dem Rep since it's formation in '80. I have no idea why. I blame HENRYs in Bellevue and Redmond adding to the rural social conservatives.

Houn on
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

The 8th District is sorta famous for being Pub-leaning; it's never elected a Dem Rep since it's formation in '80. I have no idea why. I blame HENRYs in Bellevue and Redmond adding to the rural social conservatives.
    I only lived in the area with my aunt and uncle for about a year but the whole area seemed predominated by A: Really rich white people B: Really poor white people and C: Nary a minority among them. So I'd wager that's why.

Quid on
    edited November 2008
    vote.wa.gov said the next count would be at 11:30, but here are some updated numbers.

Reichert: 85,852

Burner: 83,985

Reichert's pulling away. Now up by 2000.

Taramoor on
    edited November 2008
    More returns in:

With 51% of the vote counter (according to King-5)

Reichert still leads by about 2,000 votes.

Current stats:

Reichert: 95,221

Burner: 93,368

A couple of stats of interest.

Total registered voters in King County: 1,108,128

Total registered voters in Pierce County: 411,103

Total votes counted in this race so far: 188,589

So, it's far from over, but Reichert's lead holds for at least another day.

Taramoor on
    edited November 2008
    U.S. Cong. Dist. 8
    Nov 06, 2008 - 14:48:07
    58% of vote counted

Dave Reichert*(R)
    108,373 votes
    50% of vote

Darcy Burner (D)
    106,408 votes
    50% of vote

Still a 2000 vote split with 58% counted.

Taramoor on
    edited November 2008
    I submitted a provisional ballot.

It might actually make a last minute difference.

Schrodinger on
    edited November 2008
    I submitted a provisional ballot.

It might actually make a last minute difference.

I'm hoping it comes down to one vote after all the recounts are finished, and Burner wins.

Then I can legitimately say I won someone an election.

Every other race in Washington is basically over with voters overwhelmingly picking one option over the other.

Exceptions to this are the Ranked Executive race in Pierce County and the Term Limit Repeal in Tacoma, neither of which anyone cares about.

Taramoor on
    edited November 2008
    "And in Connecticut, where I live, a house race was won by a margin of just two votes. Well that's good. My vote still wouldn't have made any difference at all." -Norm MacDonald

I'm wondering if there's a way to change your signature on the rolls, because for some reason, I can't sign the way that I did when I was 18.

As for the 8th, I still think that this election was won on the ground campaigns, and Reichert had a really, really strong ground campaign. Not sure what Burner will do if she loses. When I saw her, I said, "Congratulations, so far," because I didn't want to jinx it.

Schrodinger on