As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

MotW 11/5/2008 - Fraction, always Fraction

• Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Batman isn't a supervillain?

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    PaperFootballPaperFootball Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Keith wrote: »
    Munch wrote: »
    They've fixed Two-Face's scarring like, three times. Each time his psychosis resurfaces and he scars himself again.

As for Barbara Gordon's legs, Prometheus straight-up volunteered to fix her legs. You'd think that, after he'd been jailed, Batman might have gone through his technology and looked for some kind of spine-Spackle.

Barbara turned Prometheus down, though. Why would she say yes to Batman?

Because Prometheus wanted her to sell out the JLA

PaperFootball on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited November 2008
    Superman/Supergirl: Maelstrom #1 was all right. The art was pretty enough, although very static. I just don't think they could have picked a worse time to put this story out. We're in the middle of a Superman-line crossover and Final Crisis is changing all the Fourth World stuff.

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    alcapp0523bigob3.th.jpgthpix.gif

Man, Fearless Fosdick headshots dudes like nobody's business and he does it for the children!

I didn't buy any comics this week, but I found that, so motw for me.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    DarklyreDarklyre Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    If anyone's been reading Secret Six, #3 reveals what the card actually is. It's actually a very neat and tidy concept for why everyone would be willing to killmaimburn for it:
    The card, as made by Neron, literally says "Get out of Hell free."

Darklyre on
  • Options
    frayfray Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I haven't even read anything yet but I'm pretty confident in saying Marvel Zombies 3 is going to be my motw.

fray on
    "I told you," said Ford. "Eddies in the space-time continuum."
    "And this is his sofa, is it?" said Arthur.
  • Options
    mugginnsmugginns Jawsome Fresh CoastRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Darklyre wrote: »
    If anyone's been reading Secret Six, #3 reveals what the card actually is. It's actually a very neat and tidy concept for why everyone would be willing to killmaimburn for it:
    Yeah Secret Six was really awesome this week.

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
  • Options
    The Ragin' CanadianThe Ragin' Canadian Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    mugginns wrote: »
    I love Gail Simone... really do. The conversation between Ragdoll and Deadshot made me laugh out loud:
    D - " Huh. On second thought, my prom went a lot like that, actually."
    R - " I took my sister to prom."
    D - " Listen, you don't gotta tell me these types of..."
    R - " My lips are sealed. But it was a mystical revelation."

The Ragin' Canadian on
    " You can't say that, you're crazy!"

" No, I'm eccentric... only poor people are called crazy."
  • Options
    mugginnsmugginns Jawsome Fresh CoastRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    mugginns wrote: »
    I love Gail Simone... really do. The conversation between Ragdoll and Deadshot made me laugh out loud:
    D - " Huh. On second thought, my prom went a lot like that, actually."
    R - " I took my sister to prom."
    D - " Listen, you don't gotta tell me these types of..."
    R - " My lips are sealed. But it was a mystical revelation."
    Yeah I laughed really hard at that one. I don't know a whole lot about most of the main characters, but I'm glad I don't really have to. Plus I love the art in the series so far.

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited November 2008
    Ragdoll had a lot of good lines in this issue
    Bane's concerned with the health of Scandal's colon.

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited November 2008
    alcapp0523bigob3.th.jpgthpix.gif

Man, Fearless Fosdick headshots dudes like nobody's business and he does it for the children!

I didn't buy any comics this week, but I found that, so motw for me.

Fearless Fosdick is the fucking man. I have a huge trade of those strips produced by Fantagraphics back in the day.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    SalmonOfDoubtSalmonOfDoubt Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Mai-Kero wrote: »
    Did anyone read Authority?
    Was that one of the motherfuckers from Sliding Albion?

I'm pretty sure it was. Between that, the Engineer's garden in Wildcats and The High's role in Number of the Beast, they're really mining the old Ellis stuff for the Stormwatch relaunch. Not that that's nscerrily bad, mind.

edit: And Gamorra dicking around in the back-up story

SalmonOfDoubt on
    heavensidesig80.jpg
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    killing children would be hilarious
    Olivaw wrote: »
    HELLO AND WELCOME TO THE PENNY ARCADE FORUMS

PLEASE ENJOY YOUR STAY

AND THIS PENIS
    Man, I don't want to read about this lady's broken vagina.
    NotACrook wrote: »
    I am sitting here trying to come up with a tiered system for rating child molesters.
    cock vore is fuckin hilarious
  • Options
    DarklyreDarklyre Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Holy fucking shit, anyone read Punisher War Journal Annual #1?

I was tripping balls reading that.

Darklyre on
  • Options
    Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008
    FCD wrote: »
    Balefuego wrote: »
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    I would agree that Invincible Iron Man was great.

Although it pissed me off all over again with the whole Brand New Day bullcrap, because all that stuff about Tony telling Peter that he should unmask and register already happened! Did the totally badass Stark Tech Spider suit just never happen? Because damn. Stupid!

It still happaned, Tony remembers that Peter worked for him. Tony remembers that he worked together with Spidey, but he is unable to connect the two together or remember that Peter is Spider-Man.

Why no one remembers his identity is going to be explained in a big Spidey story that starts early next year.

And, as I've said before, I think it's fantastic that we're getting some concrete information about how the new status quo works over a year after it actually started. You're doin' a heckuva job, Joey.

And they told us how the status quo would work before that.
    People remember him unmasking. They don't remember who he is.

Me Too! on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Also that Peter and MJ never got married, although they did have a relationship until recently
    All the stories happened, just they weren't married, so we didn't retcon out the Clone Saga
    And the deal was made so that Aunt May would be alive so I mean that's a pretty easy one to figure out

Me Too! on
  • Options
    FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    As much I hate OMD, Aunt May, BND, and everything in between, let's not do this to another thread.

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    My moment of the week was all of Gigantic

everyone go read this book

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Faynor wrote: »
    As much I hate OMD, Aunt May, BND, and everything in between, let's not do this to another thread.

I will set the next person who starts this shit again on fire with my blood vomit.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I'm not trying to start anything
    I'm saying that his complaint is dumb because it's like "well it's nice of them to finally tell us something they told us when it started!"

Me Too! on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    "What the fuck? Spider-Man is Peter Parker? When the shit did this happen? Thanks, Marvel."

Faynor on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Hardball's choice in the Initiative didn't ring true for me, but it was still a pretty cool issue.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I still haven't gotten to read that, writing a paper. :( What did he choose?

Faynor on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I still haven't gotten to read that, writing a paper. :( What did he choose?
    As you may recall, Hardball got his abilities from the Power Broker and has been a double agent in the Initiative ever since, first for Power Broker and later for Hydra. In this issue, Hydra has Hardball find out how Komodo gained access to Curt Connors' Lizard serum so they can duplicate it and inject it into its soldiers. In exchange, they'll heal Hardball's brother, who is a quadriplegic.

Hardball agrees and asks Komodo where she stole the formula from. She guesses he wants this information to cure his brother, so she gives him a false location and meets him there. When he arrives, they argue, and he reveals to her that he's working for HYDRA and that he fell for her before he even knew he'd need her help. She agrees to isolate the formula in her own blood for him so he won't have to break the law, but behind her back she warns the Initiative about Hardball's planned meeting with Hydra so they can stage an ambush.

At the exchange, the Initiative attacks the Hydra leader Hardball has arranged to meet. The Hydra leader injects himself with the formula so he can cover Hydra's retreat while Hardball, believing he's been betrayed, locks Komodo in one of his bubbles. She tells him that she told the Initiative that he was setting up Hydra and tells him they can heal his brother, but Hardball decides he can't be with her because he's really a bad guy and will just drag her down. So, per Hydra's rules about promotions, Hardball kills the Hydra leader and takes his place before ordering the Hydra troops to retreat, leaving Komodo and the Initiative behind.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    :(:(:(
    That seems so disingenuous. He's made it clear a few times he's only working for Hydra because he has to. She gave him a way out, he should have taken it

Faynor on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    :(:(:(
    That seems so disingenuous. He's made it clear a few times he's only working for Hydra because he has to. She gave him a way out, he should have taken it
    And they're terrorists! Even if they can guarantee that they'll heal his brother, he's gonna have to kill tons of people to earn that trust.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    frayfray Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Yeah, that sucks. Why was he working for them in the first place? Because they could take away his powers?

fray on
    "I told you," said Ford. "Eddies in the space-time continuum."
    "And this is his sofa, is it?" said Arthur.
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    fray wrote: »
    Yeah, that sucks. Why was he working for them in the first place? Because they could take away his powers?
    It is later revealed that Roger was given his powers by the Power Broker. Hardball was then forced to work for the Power Broker, and was ordered to rob an armored car. He used his new powers to knock the car down while coincidentally a little girl entered the street at that time, in the path of the the car. Wonder Man, who just happened to be flying by misinterpreted this as an act of heroism, and swiftly recruited him into the initiative. The Power Broker then sold his "contract" to HYDRA, whose commander is the man who saved him in the bar, Congressman Woodman, which means HYDRA has a double-agent within the Initiative.[7]
    In the recent issue, Hardball rejects Hydra's orders only to relent when Woodman says he can heal Hardball's paralyzed brother.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    My moment of the week was all of Gigantic

everyone go read this book

I was wondering how that was. The preview looked cool. While I'm at it, how was the X-Men/Spider-Man thing?

Munch on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    The X-Men/Spider-Man thing was fun, Gage captured the silver age feel really well without having to resort to clunky dialouge and overexposition.

I'm looking forward to his takes on the other eras.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Are the 90s one of the times he's doing?

Faynor on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    xmsm003_cov.jpg
    X-MEN/SPIDER-MAN #3 (of 4)
    Written by CHRISTOS N. GAGE
    Pencils & Cover by MARIO ALBERTI
    We take you back to the days of grungy 90s as The X-Men and Spider-Man face off against Mr. Sinister and Carnage! But this Spidey isn't Peter Parker--it's Ben Reilly, the Spider-Clone! And Wolverine's claws are made of bone, not adamantium! It's radical...it's extreme...and if we coulda put a chromium cover on it, we would have! Put down your pogs and pick this up if only to feast your eyes on Mario Alberti's art! It'll make you say "Cowabunga, dude!"

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    FCDFCD Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Pouches as far as the eye can see.

FCD on
    Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!
  • Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    It's Hell manifest.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    Dareth RamDareth Ram regular
    edited November 2008
    shit ben reilly!

this shouldn't make me happy!

Dareth Ram on
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    They really should have just said 'fuck it anyway' and dragged out the box of chromium.

Wildcat on
  • Options
    psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    FCD wrote: »
    Pouches as far as the eye can see.

It always depressed me that the nineties never reached their logical conclusion. An incredibly muscular dark magician anti-hero, who owns a magical pouch from which he can produce the hugest guns in the universe.

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    xmsm003_cov.jpg
    X-MEN/SPIDER-MAN #3 (of 4)
    Written by CHRISTOS N. GAGE
    Pencils & Cover by MARIO ALBERTI
    We take you back to the days of grungy 90s as The X-Men and Spider-Man face off against Mr. Sinister and Carnage! But this Spidey isn't Peter Parker--it's Ben Reilly, the Spider-Clone! And Wolverine's claws are made of bone, not adamantium! It's radical...it's extreme...and if we coulda put a chromium cover on it, we would have! Put down your pogs and pick this up if only to feast your eyes on Mario Alberti's art! It'll make you say "Cowabunga, dude!"
    Pogs, Grunge, and the Simpsons were all out of style by '98 when all those characters looked like that.

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    X-Men #1, which featured the Jim Lee redesigns came out in 1991.

Ben Reilly was Spider-Man from Jan '96 to Dec '96

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    dang now I have to get that issue

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Solicits aren't written by the series' writers anyway.

Robos A Go Go on
This discussion has been closed.