As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Resistance Fall of Man 2: More people should be talking about it (BETA)

1234568»

• Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    xboxxer wrote: »
    Marikir wrote: »
    After thinking about my experience, here's a few impressions.

3 - Only two guns at time? Hmmm...okay. Would like to have a pistol as well, but...okay.
    Yeah that's my complaint as well, what the hell made them change the way the first game was set up where you had an entire arsenal. Restricting the guns may make the game a bit more realis... aliens in a alternate retrofuturistic 1950s isolationist America.. Never mind. Why make the game LESS fun by restricting it?!

This may just be me, but I think this has made the game MORE fun.

When I played R1, I primarily used the Carbine/Bullseye for the entire campaign, because I was hording my "good" weapons, for the final boss fight. It's the RPG mentality of hording all the buffing potions.

Everytime I ran into a stockpile of exotic weapon ammo, I was annoyed that I hadn't even used that weapon yet :).

This game really encourages you to change weapons -- especially how when you get ammo from a dropped gun, you get like 30 rounds, but if you pick it up (by dropping another weapon), you're full.

I try to keep 1 carbine/bullseye, and then one secondary weapon (sniper, shotgun, pistol, etc...), and I use that secondary a fair bit.

So maybe they changed it for crazy neurotic OCD players like me. :)

Totally how I played it, with the "But I might need it later" mentality.

That, and the Carbine/Bullseye just fucking ruined everything once you knew how to handle them.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    JAEF wrote: »
    ED! wrote: »
    Just picked this up. I think my brother f'd up my system. Everything is WAY jaggy, and in no way as smooth as it was with R1. I have a Dynex and the PS3 set to 720P. Connecting via HDMI cables. Anyone have any suggestions?
    There's no way it should look jaggy. Redo your output settings and make sure your TV settings aren't set to any sort of zoom or weird aspect ratio. Some of the textures are a bit boring but no way should you be seeing jaggies.

For some reason, I have to set my tv to "zoom", or it will only be displayed in a small box with a ton of black around the corners. Same with the XBOX360. FMV's play well though, with no jaggies.

ED! on
    "Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    That's weird ED. I was just playing it, everything has the smoothest edges. The two weapon system with more frequent weapon availability is really a much better system for gameflow overall. I'm not pausing the game every few minutes to choose from one of my 12 weapons.

I see quite a few oddities that kinda bug me (story doesn't tie together as well as it should and some cutscenes are just really weird when army buddies are talking to you with "I'm talking to you through a headset mic or from inside a mask into your earpiece" voice filter except they're right there with nothing on their heads and their mouths barely move. Friendly NPCs are oddly stiff. So awkward.

JAEF on
  • Options
    xboxxerxboxxer Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    JAEF wrote: »
    That's weird ED. I was just playing it, everything has the smoothest edges. The two weapon system with more frequent weapon availability is really a much better system for gameflow overall. I'm not pausing the game every few minutes to choose from one of my 12 weapons.

I see quite a few oddities that kinda bug me (story doesn't tie together as well as it should and some cutscenes are just really weird when army buddies are talking to you with "I'm talking to you through a headset mic or from inside a mask into your earpiece" voice filter except they're right there with nothing on their heads and their mouths barely move. Friendly NPCs are oddly stiff. So awkward.

Yeah, I read somewhere that Insomniac wanted to make the game more about Hale, so they cut the narrative. Something about how the first game really was about Rachel, since she did all the talking. I think (as do many of the reviewers, apparently) that this was a mistake. The narrative from R1, IMO, really helped me understand what was going on.

The intel that you can find scattered about the game does help some -- but i kind of think it ruins the experience to hunt the environment for intel all the time (maybe on a subsequent playthrough). I feel it's a mistake to only reveal the totality of the story to the people that hunt out every piece of info.

If they really wanted to focus on Hale -- hell, they could've had him do the voice over work :)

xboxxer on
    PSN: Entair / XBLive: White Seraph
  • Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    It's weird. The first level just looked super jaggy, but inside the facility it is more smoother. Maybe I'm being paranoid.

PSN is ANDSv2 is anyone wants to play while there still time tonight.

ED! on
    "Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    VaregaVarega Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Holy shit, that was awesome. I'm super stressed out from online co-op, but it's so much fun. We did it with 7 people, and we owned once we got into a groove.

PSN is VaregaDiablo

Varega on
    League of Legends:Varega
  • Options
    MarikirMarikir Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Varega wrote: »
    Holy shit, that was awesome. I'm super stressed out from online co-op, but it's so much fun. We did it with 7 people, and we owned once we got into a groove.

PSN is VaregaDiablo

As one of those 7...

NOTHING BUT AGREEMENT HERE.

SO intense, so crazy, so worth it. Folks, if you get into a Co-Op game with a group that splits up duties and each does their job, the experience is fan-fraking-tastic.

I heartily endorse my Resistance PA compatriots, VaregaDiablo and BloodHarvest.

I had never done anything like that before. Standing there, shield up, firing round after round into an oncoming wave after wave of enemies, moving slowly forward, as my teammates kept me healed and well supplied with ammo and shield energy...IT. WAS. AWESOME.

I liked how the Co-Op switches things around, making each round slightly different. Can't wait to try other maps...or hell, play the Chicago map again.

So much fun. I am still giddy. Won't be able to sleep for an hour or so, the adrenaline is very high.

Marikir on
    steam_sig.png "Hiding in plain sight." PSN/XBL: Marikir
  • Options
    HaikiraHaikira UKRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I'm a little confused on coop. I know theres a single player campaign, and i know theres a coop mode that supports 8 players, playing different classes and the likes. But is there there regular coop for the story, like the original game?

Haikira on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN:Hakira__
  • Options
    MarikirMarikir Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Haikira wrote: »
    I'm a little confused on coop. I know theres a single player campaign, and i know theres a coop mode that supports 8 players, playing different classes and the likes. But is there there regular coop for the story, like the original game?

I don't believe so. I think they removed that aspect from the game, though I'm not completely sure. I haven't tried it. Though I know you can do 2 player local Co-Op, I think it's only in the Co-Op mode.

Again, I could be wrong, but I think they wanted to make the single player experience Single Player. That way, instead of having 2 Hales, you just have the one.

I think they could have done Co-Op like the original and it would have been fine. But, after playing the current Co-Op mode, I cannot help but say that mode is a gem and almost worth the cost of the entire game itself. I cannot imagine not having it now.

Marikir on
    steam_sig.png "Hiding in plain sight." PSN/XBL: Marikir
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I am a lil disappointed that they've removed ALL vehicle sections from the game. I really liked them.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
This discussion has been closed.