As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Ultimate Sega Genesis Collection coming to 360/PS3 for $30 -has Shining & St of Rage

• Options
    elkataselkatas Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Okay, here we go. This image is fucking ridiculously huge, but this is at the resolution this collection runs at, and this is the size Sega provides files in on their FTP and I can't be bothered to resize it. I want to drive home how stunningly ugly it is. I hope they let us turn this filter off :(

Considering that Backbone's all earlier Genesis emulation efforts allowed turning filter off, I guess it is safe bet for this too.

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Personally I don't find it that ugly, I actually kind of like it; but I suppose it would just depend on the game.

But either way, I hope there's the option to turn it off.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I'll never get why people bitch about that filter. It looks better. Oh no, your game doesn't look old-school jaggies-filled! Give me a break.

Anyways, I never had a Genesis, so this is a total mixed bag for me, but at $30 it's a no-brainer.

Ones I love:
    Comix Zone
    Dr. Robotnik's MBM

Ones I hate:
    Altered Beast
    Sonic the Hedgehog
    Sonic the Hedgehog 2
    Sonic 3D Blast
    Sonic Spinball
    Sonic the Hedgehog 3
    Sonic & Knuckles
    Streets of Rage
    Streets of Rage 2
    Streets of Rage 3

Ones I want to try:
    Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle
    Columns
    Ecco the Dolphin
    Ecco: The Tides of Time
    Golden Axe
    Golden Axe 2
    Golden Axe 3
    Phantasy Star 2
    Phantasy Star 3: Generations of Doom
    Phantasy Star 4: The End of the Millenium
    Ristar
    Shinobi 3: Return of the Ninja Master
    Vectorman
    Vectorman 2
    Dynamite Headdy
    Phantasy Star 1
    Shining in the Darkness
    Shining Force
    Shining Force 2

What the fuck are these?
    Bonanza Bros.
    Decap Attack
    Flicky
    Gain Ground
    Kid Chameleon
    Shadow Dancer: The Secret of Shinobi
    Super Thunder Blade
    Alien Storm
    Beyond Oasis
    E-SWAT
    Fatal Labyrinth
    Super Thunder Blade

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Also, why does neither this nor the PS2/PSP versions have Revenge of Shinobi? Isn't that supposed to be the best one?

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    SaddlerSaddler Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Sega piles their 90s catalog into these comps so liberally. Truly awesome. I think we are ready for a Saturn collection.

Saddler on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Saddler wrote: »
    Sega piles their 90s catalog into these comps so liberally. Truly awesome. I think we are ready for a Saturn collection.

I've been ready, I want Panzer Dragoon, PD Zwei, PD Saga, Clockwork Knight, Shining the Holy Ark, NiGHTs (well, not me, but I know people want this one), and do they throw third-party games into these too? Because if so, Resident Evil and Tomb Raider.

EDIT: Also Magic Knight Rayearth

EDIT: Also throw in Lunar and Lunar 2 even though they are Sega CD.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2008
    I'll never get why people bitch about that filter. It looks better. Oh no, your game doesn't look old-school jaggies-filled! Give me a break.

No. The filter makes it look like shit. There's a difference between slightly softening graphics and pouring vaseline all over them to the point that you lose detail. The filter they're using does not work well with dithery games, which most Genesis games tended to be.

I mean seriously, look at that screenshot. Sonic's lives indicator looks like cockeye Sonic from the leaked 3D Blast beta because the filter is fucking horrible.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    What the hell's so ugly about that pic that APZoneRunner spoilered?

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    Conan-sanConan-san Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    That 2X filter better be turnoffable.

Conan-san on
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    damnit... where's my Warsong??

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    Glenn565Glenn565 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Sentry wrote: »
    damnit... where's my Warsong??

I'm pretty sure all the games on these collections will be Sega published only.

Glenn565 on
    3DS code:4511-0654-1976
    NNID: Glenn565
  • Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Waka Laka wrote: »
    Saturn and Dreamcast compilation next plz k thanks SEGA.

Yes plz. I would play the shit out of Shenmue again. Although, because of copyright concerns, I could probably see not being able to. But if I could, I would.

Darth_Mogs on
    Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    What the fuck are these?
    Shadow Dancer: The Secret of Shinobi

The best Shinobi game ever made, that's what.

With an attack dog.
    Saddler wrote:

I've been ready, I want Panzer Dragoon, PD Zwei, PD Saga, Clockwork Knight, Shining the Holy Ark, NiGHTs (well, not me, but I know people want this one), and do they throw third-party games into these too? Because if so, Resident Evil and Tomb Raider.

EDIT: Also Magic Knight Rayearth

EDIT: Also throw in Lunar and Lunar 2 even though they are Sega CD.

It would also need Burning Rangers.

I highly doubt the Working Designs games would make it into any collection, and Sega hardly had any Sega CD games of their own worth putting into a collecton. All the good stuff was third party.

Dragon Force would have a chance, since Sega developed it.

And it would have to have Burning Rangers.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    EclecticGrooveEclecticGroove Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Nice.... I wish the ecco the dolphin would be the sega cd version (which I still own) the soundtrack for that game was stellar... totally set the mood for the game well beyond the cart version.

And I'd love to see a Sega CD/Saturn/Dreamcast compilation, or even an emulator for the 360 to read the CD's/Gd's straight up (G'd would be tricky I know, not all DVD drives were capable of reading them).

Sadly Panzer Dragoon Saga will never show up on anything ever again as all/most of the original material/code was lost... in order to port it to something else it would need to pretty much be a ground up re-make... I don't see that happening. Luckily I still have the original... I will be sad the day they are no longer playable :( .

EclecticGroove on
  • Options
    Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    The only way they could get Panzer Dragoon Saga up and going is a really well done emulation programme. A Developer that could actually emulate Saturn's architecture and get it up and running smoothly would be programming gods. Most developers have enough trouble as it is getting emulation to run for 16 bit generations.

Waka Laka on
  • Options
    EclecticGrooveEclecticGroove Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Waka Laka wrote: »
    The only way they could get Panzer Dragoon Saga up and going is a really well done emulation programme. A Developer that could actually emulate Saturn's architecture and get it up and running smoothly would be programming gods. Most developers have enough trouble as it is getting emulation to run for 16 bit generations.

Yeah, but the problem is most of the "properly" emulated games they have access to the source code and can try and tailor the emulation to fit what the game requires. With PDS, they would need to sit with the emulator and the finished copy of the game over and over and over again till they got the performance/stability proper... far more labor intensive than normal because they can't just run arbitrary portions of code and skip around freely.
    I wish some sort of fan group would work a deal out with Sega to obtain whatever is left of the source code and try and rebuild the game in a format that can actually be moved around. After all, the files on the disk (movies, textures, sounds, etc) can be ripped from the game.

Anyways... back on topic... I will certainly get this collection when it comes out... too many good games in it to pass up!
    And I will miss Sword of Vermillion :( I likes that game, was fun... a bit broken when you got the old nick armor uncursed tho.

EclecticGroove on
  • Options
    APZonerunnerAPZonerunner Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    :D:D:D

Just had a reply from Sega UK's head of PR, who's been on to the brand management department.
    I’ve had confirmation that the filter can indeed be switched off. And the games will display at whatever ratio your console is set at – 4:3 or 16:9. If playing in 16:9 the game will fit and not have black borders at the side.

APZonerunner on
    APZonerunner | RPG Site | UFFSite | The Gaming Vault
    XBL/PSN/Steam: APZonerunner
  • Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008

Just had a reply from Sega UK's head of PR, who's been on to the brand management department.
    I’ve had confirmation that the filter can indeed be switched off. And the games will display at whatever ratio your console is set at – 4:3 or 16:9. If playing in 16:9 the game will fit and not have black borders at the side.

Bought.

bloodyroarxx on
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

Bought.

Okay, redemption.

This is a hell of a bargain for someone who hasn't already jumped on that PS2/PSP collection, or who hasn't been grazing on the VC for a while. I already have Streets of Rage 1&2 and Shining Force 1 on the Wii, which are my top picks on there anyway, so I'll likely pass on Day 1, but I know myself and so I know I'll end up grabbing this on a whim if I see it on sale somewhere.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    omg omg omg omg omg

Shining force 2, streets of rage 2 (and 3 to a less extent) and phantasy star 4 are some of the most positive memories of my childhood.

I literally threw my hands up in the air and yelled 'whoopy!' when I read that list.

Dissociater on
  • Options
    DualEdgeDualEdge Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Maybe I can actually finish Phantasy Star II this time around! :D

DualEdge on
  • Options
    GanluanGanluan Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    It would be awesome if this had over 99 Achievements - is that possible?

Ganluan on
  • Options
    SollahSollah Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Oh man, Shadow Dancer. Best game with a doggy companion ever. Only problem I had with that game is that the music that plays when you died scared me for some odd reason. :(

I've never played the original Phantasy Star or Shining Force games, so I'll prolly pick this up if I have the money available.

Sollah on
    palonelydriver.gif
  • Options
    greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I hope this is on Live/PSN, I don't really want to buy a physical copy of this. My wife already commented that "I seemed to be getting a lot of games recently". And I love being able to play quick games off of my XMB.

greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    greeble wrote: »
    I hope this is on Live/PSN, I don't really want to buy a physical copy of this. My wife already commented that "I seemed to be getting a lot of games recently". And I love being able to play quick games off of my XMB.

Having it for download would rock, but I'm pretty sure they're only doing a disk release for this.

And I hope the next collection they give us is a Sega CD + Saturn one.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Ones I hate:
    Sonic the Hedgehog
    Sonic the Hedgehog 2
    Sonic the Hedgehog 3
    Sonic & Knuckles
    Streets of Rage 2
    Streets of Rage 3

Seriously, what the fuck is wrong with you? (Also did you play Streets of Rage 2 player, because that is how its meant to be played)

greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2008
    That is a nice list. I will without a doubt be getting this at some point.

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Ones I hate:
    Sonic the Hedgehog
    Sonic the Hedgehog 2
    Sonic the Hedgehog 3
    Sonic & Knuckles
    Streets of Rage 2
    Streets of Rage 3

Seriously, what the fuck is wrong with you? (Also did you play Streets of Rage 2 player, because that is how its meant to be played)

I hate all Sonic games, and I consider Final Fight superior to Streets of Rage.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    HOLY SHIT DYNAMITE HEADDY

Ledneh on
  • Options
    Vargas PrimeVargas Prime King of Nothing Just a ShowRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Ones I hate:
    Sonic the Hedgehog
    Sonic the Hedgehog 2
    Sonic the Hedgehog 3
    Sonic & Knuckles
    Streets of Rage 2
    Streets of Rage 3

Just because you like FF better than SoR doesn't mean you have to hate the SoR series. They were some of the best beat-em-ups ever made.

Playing the final stage of SoR2 on Mania difficulty with a friend is, like, possibly the funnest thing ever.

Vargas Prime on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Ones I hate:
    Sonic the Hedgehog
    Sonic the Hedgehog 2
    Sonic the Hedgehog 3
    Sonic & Knuckles
    Streets of Rage 2
    Streets of Rage 3

Just because you like FF better than SoR doesn't mean you have to hate the SoR series. They were some of the best beat-em-ups ever made.

Playing the final stage of SoR2 on Mania difficulty with a friend is, like, possibly the funnest thing ever.

Also, the SoR games have some of the best music ever.

Moon Beach

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    DualEdgeDualEdge Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Ones I hate:
    Sonic the Hedgehog
    Sonic the Hedgehog 2
    Sonic the Hedgehog 3
    Sonic & Knuckles
    Streets of Rage 2
    Streets of Rage 3

Final Fight is leagues above most beat-em-ups. It's unfair to compare it to the rest of the genre. Damn, now I need to find a way to hook up my SegaCD and play Final Fight CD.

DualEdge on
  • Options
    ScrubletScrublet Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

Thank god. I've already spent VC money on Sonic 1-3 and Shining Force 2. At least this justifies spending the money again. That and the games I didn't have already like Ecco. I do wish it looked as good as that sonichd project....

Scrublet on
    subedii wrote: »
    I hear PC gaming is huge off the coast of Somalia right now.

PSN: TheScrublet
  • Options
    shyguyshyguy Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    DualEdge wrote: »
    Final Fight is leagues above most beat-em-ups, with the exceptions of Streets of Rage 1 and 2, to which Final Fight is inferior
    Fixed.

Also, there isn't nearly enough extolling the virtues of Dynamite Headdy in this thread.

Shame how much of this disc I already own on the VC.

shyguy on
  • Options
    BroktuneBroktune Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    E-swat!! That was the first game I ever bought for my Genesis. Yeah, it was a robocop ripoff but I thought it was so dang awesome. That's the first game I'm going to play. Memories!!!

Broktune on
  • Options
    ArtoriaArtoria Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    and I just ordered Sega Genesis collection from Ebay 2 days ago. Oh well I'll be picking this one up too I guess. It's worth it for SOR alone. Also I really hope they throw Phantasy Star 1 on there as a bonus so we can have the whole collection on one disc. Everything else is icing on an already delicious cake.

Artoria on
  • Options
    Doc HollidayDoc Holliday Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

I’ve had confirmation that the filter can indeed be switched off.

Yay! I wonder if the pixels will be upscaled nicely depending on screen resolution. 16-bit graphics should be super easy to upscale, I'd imagine, zero guessing required.
    And the games will display at whatever ratio your console is set at – 4:3 or 16:9. If playing in 16:9 the game will fit and not have black borders at the side.

ARGH! That means it will be cropped for 16:9 users, top to bottom.

Doc Holliday on
    PSN & Live: buckwilson
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Why would it be? None of these games ran in a vertical resolution higher than 720 pixels.

sounds to me like it will be stretched top to bottom and then left to right to fit the screen

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    Doc HollidayDoc Holliday Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    Why would it be? None of these games ran in a vertical resolution higher than 720 pixels.

sounds to me like it will be stretched top to bottom and then left to right to fit the screen

Because these games were created for a 4:3 aspect ratio. It won't scale 1:1 to fit the screen so it's either stretched horizontally (which I doubt) or they scale it past the vertical resolution and it's cropped.

Unless they went into all of these games and somehow reprogrammed them to provide more of the world around you which would be awesome but I would assume extremely difficult, time consuming, and not worth the trouble.

Doc Holliday on
    PSN & Live: buckwilson
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Well, there is going to be a bit more viewable area due to the 'safe area' that you have to put things in for tube TVs, which most HDTVs don't have.

I'm pretty sure they're just going to stretch them for widescreen like VC games do, it isn't actually that bad with 2D games.

FyreWulff on