As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Left 4 Dead Thread - DEMO OUT NOW

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Concerning clearing things out, it seems in the apartments that nothing comes from above you, so you can clear floors out. Or I'm just unobservant.

Fencingsax on
  • GalagaGalaxianGalagaGalaxian Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Concerning clearing things out, it seems in the apartments that nothing comes from above you, so you can clear floors out. Or I'm just unobservant.

Oh so very wrong.

GalagaGalaxian on
    Remember the compliments you receive, forget the insults; if you succeed in doing this, tell me how.
  • expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Drool wrote: »
    Why do people talk like they have to play on one difficulty or something all the way through? You know you can call a vote to change the difficulty at any point during the game.

So if your team sucks and you can't make progress just vote to make it easier, likewise if you're breezing through the levels you can make it harder.

It's weird to hear people say, "I'm playing it on Advanced because Expert is too hard to have fun." Really you should be trying to make it just hard enough to force your team to learn to gel and play well without making it frustrating.

I'd be calling a vote for normal anytime I'm with pubbies then.

Man. Random people suck. A lot.

expendable on
    Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • FugaFuga Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Because when you win it's going to be that much sweeter.

Fuga on
  • DroolDrool Science! AustinRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    expendable wrote: »
    Why do people talk like they have to play on one difficulty or something all the way through? You know you can call a vote to change the difficulty at any point during the game.

So if your team sucks and you can't make progress just vote to make it easier, likewise if you're breezing through the levels you can make it harder.

It's weird to hear people say, "I'm playing it on Advanced because Expert is too hard to have fun." Really you should be trying to make it just hard enough to force your team to learn to gel and play well without making it frustrating.

I'd be calling a vote for normal anytime I'm with pubbies then.

Man. Random people suck. A lot.

You should be. If people don't know how to play the game yet they shouldn't be attempting harder difficulties. Some people can't even shoot shit coming right at them.

Drool on
  • IdolisideIdoliside Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Man, im so addicted to this. I have to leave the chat room and do work...otherwise i see "anyone up for a game" or "space available expert 3/4"....and i'm hooked.

Idoliside on
    Proud member of Noah's Wangship Steam Group
    iusb_760x100.8161697.jpgBunting, Owls and Cushions! Feecloud Designs
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited November 2008

Oh so very wrong.

Like that time I had a horde smash through the skylights in the apartment.

Echo on
    edited November 2008
    Echo wrote: »

Oh so very wrong.

Or how several games in a row I got snagged by a smoker at the top of the stairs as I was going down.

expendable on
    Steam
  • DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Hoz wrote: »
    The director is being treated like a pagan god with all sorts of superstitions being formed about him. I'd like to know what actually influences the director's actions. I'm hearing way too much vague shit about what's "making him mad".

They're just anthropomorphisizing, to make it easier to talk about.

Other wise you'd have to get into complex formulas about average skilly and accuracy, damage dealt and/or taken, time spent in a particular area, distance from the other players, etc.
    No, it's not just that. People are focusing on this mysterious aspect of the game and dictating how the game should be played because of whatever personal experience they think they've had with it. In six months we'll have a Church of Left4Dead and the books of Francis, Bill, Louis, and Zoey to form the Left4Dead Bible.

Frankly, I think Valve made a mistake by characterizing this aspect of the game. They should have just referred to it as dynamic spawning or something like that, something people wouldn't really think about it as they're playing the game.

I never think about "the director" when playing. I just get too into the game's universe.

It's not "oh no the director spawned a Tank" it's "HOLY FUCK A FUCKING TANK RUN".

It's not "damn you director you spawned a horde" its "GET IN THE TRAIN YOU FUCKERS ITS EASIER TO DEFEND"

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • MaticoreMaticore A Will To Power Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Echo wrote: »

Oh so very wrong.

Or the time I had a boomer, hunter, and horde break through a wall from the next building over and come swarming down the stairs at me.

Maticore on
  • MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008

There's a difference in what makes the two modes fun.

Advanced is for running around exploring, seeing the story/lore.
    Expert is for working as a team and trying to overcome an asshole with a spawn button.

Morkath on
    edited November 2008
    DeMoN wrote: »
    The director is being treated like a pagan god with all sorts of superstitions being formed about him. I'd like to know what actually influences the director's actions. I'm hearing way too much vague shit about what's "making him mad".

They're just anthropomorphisizing, to make it easier to talk about.

Other wise you'd have to get into complex formulas about average skilly and accuracy, damage dealt and/or taken, time spent in a particular area, distance from the other players, etc.
    No, it's not just that. People are focusing on this mysterious aspect of the game and dictating how the game should be played because of whatever personal experience they think they've had with it. In six months we'll have a Church of Left4Dead and the books of Francis, Bill, Louis, and Zoey to form the Left4Dead Bible.

Frankly, I think Valve made a mistake by characterizing this aspect of the game. They should have just referred to it as dynamic spawning or something like that, something people wouldn't really think about it as they're playing the game.

I never think about "the director" when playing. I just get too into the game's universe.

It's not "oh no the director spawned a Tank" it's "HOLY FUCK A FUCKING TANK RUN".

It's not "damn you director you spawned a horde" its "GET IN THE TRAIN YOU FUCKERS ITS EASIER TO DEFEND"

Exactly this. I only ever mention the director outside of the game.

expendable on
    Steam
  • jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    More experimenting with the director on expert:

It tries to make "peaks" of excitement every 144 seconds or so. This can be longer or shorter depending on several factors. For example, if you just finished killing a tank or a witch, it gives you a thirty second "relax" period (Valve's wording, not mine) where nothing new gets spawned. If this overlaps with a "peak" then you get some extra rest time. The "peak" also only last about five seconds or so.

You can see a lot of info by typing "director_debug 1" in the console.

The director keeps track of the stress level for each player, and seems to take target players based on how *low* their stress is. Someone running away from a fight with good health and not shooting anything will be judged as very low stress, while people in the middle of it will be high stress. This explains why people running away get smokered or huntered.

Also, the system aims for there to only be 30 "live" non-boss infected at a given time. It may wish to send more after you, but 30 is its target, and it will despawn some to achieve it if it can (meaning if some are not in LOS of anyone).

jonxp on
    Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
  • DroolDrool Science! AustinRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Morkath wrote: »

There's a difference in what makes the two modes fun.

Advanced is for running around exploring, seeing the story/lore.
    Expert is for working as a team and trying to overcome an asshole with a spawn button.

There isn't much story beyond, "Oh shit zombies," and with a good group every inch of the map can be explored and seen even on Expert.

Drool on
  • Flippy_DFlippy_D Digital Conquistador LondonRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Flippy_D wrote: »
    I don't think they'll have any intention to nerf expert.

Expert is where it is at.

Expect to see community difficulty mods very, very soon though. Like within a week of release. It's only a matter of variables.
    I still need to fuckin play with you and you never respond/invite me into any games.

GET ON NOW I WANT TO BLOW UP ZOMBIES

Man I'm always either in another game or away. You just need to catch me at a better time.
    Wonder if anyone will make a mod where anything other than head shots or explosions / fire will just make the regular infected ragdoll and then get up again. Although that may be too difficult.

For fun I've been averaging out my stats. Currently I make it through the first leg of the level with, on average, 59 kills, 50 headshots and 80 damage taken (expert).

I am pretty pleased with that =D

As to clearing out areas, a hunting rifle can wipe out an entire room in about ten seconds if you're economical about it.

God I love that rifle <3

Flippy_D on
    p8fnsZD.png
  • No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    It seems to do a lot of the same things, though.

Like, when going down into the second floor of the apartments, it'll spawn a horde, smoker, hunter, and boomer that rush down the stairs behind you. Sometimes it's already spawned a boomer or hunter on the ground floor, and those won't partake in the horde from behind.

Or, around 45-60 seconds into subway a smoker will come from the hole in the ceiling out front of the safe room.

These are things oyu can "count on" happening.

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008
    Also someone basically did the basic zombies immune thing a few days ago. I forget exactly what they did, but I think it was increasing their health a shitload. So only head shots actually did anything.

Morkath on
    edited November 2008
    In line with what Toons is saying, I still think the director's best trick on expert leg 1 is to spawn a boomer and smoker on the roof behind you. But instead of them chasing you down the stairs, it waits until you're in the alley. Then smoker lynches you from 40 feet up and the boomer simply fucking drops on you.

Flippy_D on
    p8fnsZD.png
  • John ZoidbergJohn Zoidberg Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    When the world ends, Flippy will position himself on top of a supermarket with a rifle.

He will live forever.
    But if the world has ended.. how can he? Hmmm, a conundrum.

John Zoidberg on
    Xbox Live: Ink Pouch / PSN: Stiff_Ninja / Origin: PAZoidberg / Steam
  • da newbda newb New York, New YorkRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    For all of you who want something harder than Expert, try this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcJ9EeD3EJ8

He increase max zombies to 250.

da newb on
    edited November 2008
    Yes, the boomer from above is especially lethal. Like the time it managed to drop on the whole team, and in the confusion I go dragged down the alley by the smoker, and the pounced on by the hunter.

No Great Name on
    sirtoons.png
    edited November 2008
    Morkath wrote: »
    Also someone basically did the basic zombies immune thing a few days ago. I forget exactly what they did, but I think it was increasing their health a shitload. So only head shots actually did anything.

I would be terrible in that mode.

With normal infected, there's no real motivation for me to aim at the head. The miss chance is much higher than placing my crosshairs on the center mass.

expendable on
    Steam
  • DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    In line with what Toons is saying, I still think the director's best trick on expert leg 1 is to spawn a boomer and smoker on the roof behind you. But instead of them chasing you down the stairs, it waits until you're in the alley. Then smoker lynches you from 40 feet up and the boomer simply fucking drops on you.

There's also a pipe in the alley that they can climb. One time I was shooting a smoker in the alley and he took off, then tried to lynch me from above after climbing.

And as for Advanced vs. Expert, I just want to play on Advanced for my first time through all of the campaigns. I kind of want to take it easy while still running into some challenge, but the main goal is to just see the campaign. Having my whole team die constantly and restarting would not be fun times for a first play through.

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I just wish it didn't take zombies so long to go down when they die to the hunting rifle. You have to just trust that it's a one-shot kill and keep aiming without real confirmation. It's especially annoying when it's your teammate with the rifle though and you really can't tell if the zombies are dead yet or not.

Zek on
  • FugaFuga Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    For fun I've been averaging out my stats. Currently I make it through the first leg of the level with, on average, 59 kills, 50 headshots and 80 damage taken (expert).

That's your idea of fun? :P

Fuga on
    edited November 2008
    Excel is flippy's favorite game.

No Great Name on
    sirtoons.png
  • BEAST!BEAST! Adventurer Adventure!!!!!Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    i have some issues with this game so far:

1) it's hard to find time to drink
    2) see #1

so, with that said, team zissou beer helmets must become standard issue..something like
    http://www.amazon.com/Beer-Guzzler-Helmet-Assorted-Colors/dp/B000QV9XDI/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=miscellaneous&qid=1226266565&sr=8-1

does anyone have any suggestions for wraparound headphone/microphone combos? i may attempt to attach my current headphones to this helmet but if that doesn't work i'll need some wraparounds instead...

BEAST! on
    dfzn9elrnajf.png
    edited November 2008
    BEAST! wrote: »

2) see #1

so, with that said, team zissou beer helmets must become standard issue..something like
    http://www.amazon.com/Beer-Guzzler-Helmet-Assorted-Colors/dp/B000QV9XDI/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=miscellaneous&qid=1226266565&sr=8-1

does anyone have any suggestions for wraparound headphone/microphone combos? i may attempt to attach my current headphones to this helmet but if that doesn't work i'll need some wraparounds instead...

That's the unoticed-until-now physical aspect of the game. They also try to stress you by taking away real world comforts. You'll really be looking forward to that safe room now.

expendable on
    Steam
  • ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    so when the hell do I get to play this fucking game

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I go into the "demo" category on steam, and I click L4D

then I click "install this"

and then nothing happens

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • GalagaGalaxianGalagaGalaxian Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Did you preorder?

GalagaGalaxian on
    Remember the compliments you receive, forget the insults; if you succeed in doing this, tell me how.
  • TertieeTertiee Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    If you haven't pre-ordered you'll have to wait until the 11th.

Tertiee on
  • rakuenCallistorakuenCallisto Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008

2) see #1

Tis is not true.

1. Every time you fall to the ground from damage and/or shoot a teammate you owe one drink/chug/shot.
    2. Every time you startle the witch drink.
    3. If you are alive and you let a hunter maul a teammate to death, everyone who's alive (and not on the ground) drinks cause you fucking suck and need to learn to melee and stick together.

Plenty of ways I believe much better to drink with than TF2. Reasons being, all of the drinks are penalized not somehow if Mooman was baked or if you killed yourself or something dumb.

rakuenCallisto on
    cbtswoosig.png
    edited November 2008
    Every time there's a tank, drink.

Just because.

Flippy_D on
    p8fnsZD.png
  • angrylinuxgeekangrylinuxgeek Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    hunting rifle owns, triple headshot

huntingrifle16315914ts5.gif

angrylinuxgeek on
    sQwJu.png
  • BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Zzulu wrote: »
    I go into the "demo" category on steam, and I click L4D

then I click "install this"

and then nothing happens

If you have the code go to My Games, then on the bottom click that activate steam product button and paste the code in.

And god damn it I have to go get stuff and attend a dinner rather than play this now.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
    edited November 2008
    Holy fuck.

I've only managed double headshots so far. That's awesome.

edit: wait a minute, those aren't headshots. The heads of the zombies behind are still intact. The rifle most definitely makes them pop.

Flippy_D on
    p8fnsZD.png
    edited November 2008

2) see #1

Tis is not true.

1. Every time you fall to the ground from damage and/or shoot a teammate you owe one drink/chug/shot.
    2. Every time you startle the witch drink.
    3. If you are alive and you let a hunter maul a teammate to death, everyone who's alive (and not on the ground) drinks cause you fucking suck and need to learn to melee and stick together.

Plenty of ways I believe much better to drink with than TF2. Reasons being, all of the drinks are penalized not somehow if Mooman was baked or if you killed yourself or something dumb.
    i'm not saying there aren't REASONS to drink, it's just that there is less TIME to drink because you're always doing something....i can't take my hand away from the mouse because we always have to keep moving

which is why the beer helmet must be used, that way i can drink at the appropriate times

BEAST! on
    dfzn9elrnajf.png
  • BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Use left hand to drink when you're on the ground?

BlindPsychic on
    edited November 2008
    Use left hand to drink when you're on the ground?
    unless i'm on the ground a lot this just isn't enough drinking

BEAST! on
    dfzn9elrnajf.png
This discussion has been closed.