As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

College student needs insurance.

Sara LynnSara Lynn I can handle myself.Registered User regular
edited November 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
So, my parents are going through a divorce and long story short my dad and I don't speak so he took me off his insurance plan. It was an extremely good one, I could get everything I need, and now I have nothing.

I'm really unsure about what my options are, I have a difficult time understanding some of the things I try to look up online. I know one of my friends gets free birth control (which I'd like to get back on) through some plan, but that doesn't really solve all my problems.

I mostly want insurance so I can go to weekly therapy, and despite on-campus counseling being available it's free so that means you only get so many visits. I can't afford to pay full price by the hour, obviously, and it's all just upsetting to me. I think that the on-campus counseling center can actually get me medication, but I'm not sure how much and obviously when I run out they're not going to just keep giving it to me. There's really nothing long term I can do.

Any other college students on any kind of independent plans? I've checked my University's website (iup.edu) up and down and I can't find anything about insurance, so I've already looked there. Google is just confusing me.

Sara Lynn on

• Options
    witch_iewitch_ie Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    You should probably try contacting your University directly and see if they have any student plans available. The coverage may not be the best, but it will be something.

witch_ie on
  • Options
    PlutoniumPlutonium Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I'm not sure if it's like this at other universities, but at least at UC's you actually are required to provide proof of health insurance if you're not going to be using the insurance coverage provided by the school.

Here in the entry for health insurance on your school's website.
    Health Insurance

IUP recommends that all students have health insurance coverage. Check with your family to see if your health insurance will continue to cover you at school. If you are covered by your parent's health insurance, be certain to carry an insurance card with you at all times. Pechan Health Center can provide you with information about a quality and cost effective insurance plan. Contact the health center at 724-357-6475 (health-inquiry@iup.edu) for more information.

Health insurance is mandatory for students in an F or J Visa status. (See International Student Health Insurance below.)

edit: That's rough man, your dad is a douche, especially if it didn't cost anything extra to cover you.

Plutonium on
  • Options
    RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    You should tell your Dad that if he's kicking you off his insurance, you're calling the IRS and telling them that you are not his dependent. He might rethink dropping you when it means his tax bill will be a couple grand more.

(I have no idea what the applicable law is, but if he's claiming you as a dependent and not providing you with health insurance, it's a pretty dick move to say the least).

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • Options
    VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    RUNN1NGMAN wrote: »
    You should tell your Dad that if he's kicking you off his insurance, you're calling the IRS and telling them that you are not his dependent. He might rethink dropping you when it means his tax bill will be a couple grand more.

(I have no idea what the applicable law is, but if he's claiming you as a dependent and not providing you with health insurance, it's a pretty dick move to say the least).

If they have really good insurance he's probably saving a couple grand at least by kicking her off the policy, probably more than he gets credit for by claiming her as a dependent.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    vytroxvytrox Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I have no insurance so I can't help on that front, but for meds I have some info.

Pharmecetuical companies give away free drugs to poor people for the tax right off, i.e. I get Lamictal for free for 1 year, which would cost me $250/month otherwise. That particular program is called Bridges to Access through GSK.

Fred Meyer has an awesome program for generics. Anything on their list is $4/month. http://www.fredmeyer.com/generic/Pages/index.html

Birth control should be pretty cheap as well $15-20 I think.

vytrox on
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    witch_ie wrote: »
    You should probably try contacting your University directly and see if they have any student plans available. The coverage may not be the best, but it will be something.

This might be easiest. I'm on Anthem right now, and it's fairly cheap (for fairly low coverage) but I didn't have any requirements going in at the time. I broke my elbow a few months ago and I'm still going through physical therapy, I had to borrow money from my 'rents to pay the deductible cause I'm a poor student, but I still ended up saving more money than I'd spent.

Scooter on
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I'm curious about health insurance, too. My wife and I are both college students at Iowa State. There is University-based health insurance, but it requires you to go to the on-campus health center, which has a terrible reputation for turning away people who need help - even emergencies in some documented cases.

Are there any good non-employer based health insurance programs out there?

Delzhand on
  • Options
    VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Oh and for BC, Planned Parenthood offers payment on a sliding scale. If you bring in a paystub I think it is that shows how little money you make instead of paying $30 you'll likely pay less.

Since it looks like from earlier comments that you're in PA there's always adultBasic. However, it could take a hell of a long time for you to actually get off the waiting list for that.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    Sara LynnSara Lynn I can handle myself. Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    RUNN1NGMAN wrote: »

I don't think he can claim me as a dependent anyway, I don't live with him. Now that I'm not on his insurance and I'm 22, if he does my mom will know about it and he'll be in trouble anyway. I think. From what I understand it doesn't cost anything extra for me to be covered, he works for a Steel Mill and they take pretty good care of the families.

Anyway, thanks you guys! You've all been very helpful.

Sara Lynn on