As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A Softer [Chat]

1474849505153»

• Options
    JamesKeenanJamesKeenan Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Nocturne wrote: »
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    James wrote: »
    Aren't there a billion other games with much more replayability that just came out?

Replayability is a very subjective thing.

Truth be told it's extremely rare for me to ever replay a game right after finishing it. The only game in recent memory I can think of where I did this was Mass Effect. Normally it's at least a month or two, even if I really like it, before I start over.

I usually just can't stand playing over a lot of the same stuff back-to-back. Like I loved Fallout 3 and logged around 50 hours into it, one of my favorite games of all time, but I won't be starting a new character really soon. I'll probably finish exploring everywhere on my existing character though.

/pointless tangent nobody cares about.

Yeah. No one cares about talking about video games.

We prefer croûtons and croquet.

Also, I loved Assassin's Creed. First time I beat it I ran through it played it all over again, right away.

Haven't touched it since. I could have rented it and had the same experience, and enjoyed it immensely, for $52 less.

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Corvus wrote: »
    Oboro wrote: »
    honestly I'll be frank

I have no idea how the fuck Radioshacks stay in business

are they just a front for selling meth? this might be it

All the Canadian ones got bought by Circuit City a few years ago and turned into "The Source" which is now going out of business.

Clearly, they weren't moving enough meth.

Well, they've transformed them into a mini-Future Shop, which can't really compete with Future Shop.

edit: it feels really weird typing out Future Shop.

I'm still puzzled over Best Buy opening up in Canada. They already owned Future Shop, and theres not much difference between the two stores except you can get a fridge or toaster at future shop along with your DVDs and what not. Why compete with yourself?

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Also, doing the math from my post timers saying when I started and when I stopped playing....

I am on the last level in 3 and a half hours.

So you can return it, right?

Eh. I mean, I'm only going to get faster at the game. I would've beat the game in a single sitting if I didn't have to leave for class in like, 5 minutes.

So, I might run through the game on hard and maybe do the time trials...

Or just return it...

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    JamesKeenanJamesKeenan Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Do both?

But I recommend the time trials before returning, of course.

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    JamesJames Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Replayabillity is very subjective, yes.

If I really enjoy a short game, I'll play it over and over.

Take Katamari Damacy or Portal, for instance.

James on
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited November 2008
    The centennial of the Great Party. 2099.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    How long do I even have to return a game? I've never done it before...

I guess I should dig around for my receipt.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    honestly I'll be frank

All the Canadian ones got bought by Circuit City a few years ago and turned into "The Source" which is now going out of business.

Well, they've transformed them into a mini-Future Shop, which can't really compete with Future Shop.

I'm still puzzled over Best Buy opening up in Canada. They already owned Future Shop, and theres not much difference between the two stores except you can get a fridge or toaster at future shop along with your DVDs and what not. Why compete with yourself?

Here the Best Buys sell appliances (fridges and toasters) as well.

So yeah I don't understand that so much.

Nocturne on
  • Options
    DeShadowCDeShadowC Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

Depends on the store.

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Also JK when are you thinking about leaving?

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    DeShadowC wrote: »
    Depends on the store.

Tis a gamestop, good sirrah.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    JamesJames Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    honestly I'll be frank

A lot of people hate Future Shop.

I guess they've gotten their act together recently, but until Best Buy opened up around here, I used to dread going to Future Shop.

James on
  • Options
    ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008

30 days or until you open the package, whichever comes first.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    DeShadowC wrote: »
    Depends on the store.

Tis a gamestop, good sirrah.

Have the receipt. Don't know what excuse you'd want to use there though.

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    OboroOboro __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008
    posting so as to intentionally not get the [chat]

Oboro on
    words
  • Options
    NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Replayabillity is very subjective, yes.

If I really enjoy a short game, I'll play it over and over.

Take Katamari Damacy or Portal, for instance.

Oh shit I didn't even think about Portal. That is one that I replayed right away, but it's hard to really think of it in line with other games. The time put into a game is definitely a factor, as I'm not as likely to replay that RPG I put 50+ hours into right away. Also a New Game+ always helps (Mass Effect).

Nocturne on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Good try Oboro.

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    What's so bad about Future Shop? (Never been there)

Derrick on
    Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    ackk so close :(

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited November 2008
    Derrick's chat.

20031117h.gif
    Tycho wrote:
    Links 2004 is much, much better than I expected - and I expected it to drift lightly into my apartment, placed in the CD tray by a glowing angel. Really, the only things we would add are:

a) The ability to talk only to your teammate. This is mostly for Gabe, who knows more about this sport than I know about anything. Even though it's Golf, not UC or Wolf or something, if you can play it as a team you need the ability to talk to your teammate. It doesn't make any difference why.

b) They really do need to add a "Scramble" gametype. Without investing too much time in it, "Scramble" is essentially Golf co-op. You both hit, find out who had the best shot, then you both hit from there, and so on. It has a mode already called "Best Ball," where you take the best score for your team, and also an "Alt" gametype, where you take turns hitting - so it's not that they lack for variety, it would just be a great addition to an already ridiculously complete experience.

A friend and I took down the last seven hours of Prince of Persia in a sitting, completing the game at five o'clock in the morn' and unlocking the original game. The Sands of Time, like a Snickers bar, is comprised entirely of good things, densely packed - a coalition of complimentary flavors. If there is a God in heaven who observes and occasionally adjusts the course of human events, they are already working on a sequel up there. My satisfaction with the game is without blemish, it is absolutely complete.

Masters Of Doom is a great book, if you haven't read it - at only three hundred pages, you could finish it in a day if you really wanted to. It includes details that many of us know already or could obtain from other sources, but it compresses a great deal of gaming history - like the first consumer-level 3D accelerators, John Carmack's .plan files, and early floppy-disk subscription services - into a single physical object, which is very convenient. The book also served to humanize people like John Romero, who by some combination of personal desire and media focus became id's avatar. He certainly wasn't the first "name" to be created by gaming, Sierra On-Line put designers like Jane Jensen, Al Lowe, and Roberta Williams right on the cover for everybody to see - but he actively gripped the mechanism of fame and appeared to enjoy its velocity. Nice work, if you can get it.

The dissolution of something like Ion Storm is distressing to any idealist, proof somehow of dire truths that creative people constantly work to suspend or rescind. It was also predictable. The book covers - with a level of veracity I can't verify - an earlier period in gaming history, where the right mixture of people under the right conditions became id Software and then the thing virtually disintegrated. As I said, I don't know how accurate the narrative is from the perspective of John Carmack and John Romero, but I found the dissolution of their creative relationship heartbreaking. It's certainly not without precedent. Is that some inviolable law? How many years do you get to work with a friend before you hate each other?

(CW)TB out.

kris parker's a quick talker

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
This discussion has been closed.