As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

What the fuck itchy

KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
edited November 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
Ok, so this is a weird problem.

Pretty much every night my legs itch like a mother, sometimes waking me up. Here's the thing though. There are no bug bites, and there is no rash. Just my legs itch. I have no allergies that I know of, and have been sleeping in this bed with these sheets for a good year or so now with no problems until recently. My legs don't itch at all during the day.

Anyone have the remotest clue what the fuck is wrong with me?

Khavall on

• RamiusRamius Joined: July 19, 2000 Administrator, ClubPA admin
    edited November 2008
    Restless Leg Syndrome?

Ramius on
  • KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I don't really have any urge to move the legs though, just to scratch them.

Though my father does have RLS, I should probably look into it...

Khavall on
  • tardcoretardcore Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Eczema?

Do you sweat at night? Sometimes I can get sweaty which irritates my skin and makes it itchy.

tardcore on
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    "Itchy legs at night" is in fact common enough for google to recommend it as a search string.

http://www.medhelp.org/forums/Dermatology/messages/31594.html

http://www.diabetesforums.com/forum/type-1-diabetes/25963-itchy-legs.html

The first thing that popped into my head was "Have you changed laundry detergents recently?"

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
    edited November 2008
    No laundry detergent change, I'll try some of those solutions though, thanks.

Khavall on
  • VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    weather changes can be another factor as well

it's getting colder and thus naturally the air is getting dryer

check your skin for scaling or flaking... that means your skin is dry and thus itch as a result

stress is also a typical factor for weird skin problems, god knows I'm proof

stay hydrated, use an Aqueous Cream moisturizer (which you can get almost anywhere) and for the love of god do not scratch anything!

Vivixenne on
    XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
    edited November 2008
    Vivixenne wrote: »
    weather changes can be another factor as well

it's getting colder and thus naturally the air is getting dryer

check your skin for scaling or flaking... that means your skin is dry and thus itch as a result

stress is also a typical factor for weird skin problems, god knows I'm proof

stay hydrated, use an Aqueous Cream moisturizer (which you can get almost anywhere) and for the love of god do not scratch anything!

If it's dry skin, take shorter showers and no baths. Washing and soaking dries your skin the heck out.

Darkewolfe on
  • VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    ooh ooh and keep your showers not just short, but warm (not hot!)

no hot showers

hot showers baaaaaaaaaaaaaaad

Vivixenne on
    XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • NotMeguChanNotMeguChan Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    A note if you do decide to use lotion to stop the itch... I'd suggest applying it right after you get out of the shower, before you towel dry (and let your legs air dry after that). I had something very similar sounding to this a few years back, and that helped tremendously (although it was frustrating to have to sit there air drying.

Also seconding the no hot showers and no scratching advice. If you do give in to scratching, it could irritate the skin and cause more problems.

NotMeguChan on
    edited November 2008
    A note if you do decide to use lotion to stop the itch... I'd suggest applying it right after you get out of the shower, before you towel dry (and let your legs air dry after that). I had something very similar sounding to this a few years back, and that helped tremendously (although it was frustrating to have to sit there air drying.

Also seconding the no hot showers and no scratching advice. If you do give in to scratching, it could irritate the skin and cause more problems.

I get dry skin on my legs commonly during the winter. I haven't found a lotion that really worked for me, what was your preference?

Darkewolfe on
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Cocoa butter oil or lotions with it in are some of the best kinds for really dry skin. Or skin that has scars.

Also, it smells like chocolate.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • NotMeguChanNotMeguChan Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

I get dry skin on my legs commonly during the winter. I haven't found a lotion that really worked for me, what was your preference?

My doctor suggested Eucerine, which I did use for a while, and although that took away the itchy feeling, it was replaced with the feeling that I had a layer of oily lotion on my legs. I really like the body butter from Bath and Body Works, and that's what I use now.

NotMeguChan on
  • RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    If it's only happening at night, it might be scabies.

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • bigpandabigpanda Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I used to have problems w/ dry skin in winter, particularly after showers before moving to a more temperate climate. I'd use Dove soap once the weather turned cold and dry and it pretty much fixed the problem and would switch back to my regular soap once the weather broke again.

bigpanda on
  • DVGDVG No. 1 Honor Student Nether Institute, Evil AcademyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Maybe a dumb question, but how often do you wash your sheets?

DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    It still could be Restless Leg Syndrome. Most patients with Restless Leg Syndrome describe a "bug-crawling" or "itchy" sensation in their legs which is relieved by activity (not necessarily just moving your legs in your sleep either... some folks have symptomatic relief when they are walking or sitting instead of lying down). Since your dad has it, and there is a genetic component to it (although it is a bit more complicated than common genetic inheritance), you might want to get that checked out. The most common associated symptom (not a cause, mind you, just a symptom) is iron deficiency.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • UnderdogUnderdog Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    DVG wrote: »

That can be a pretty good question actually. My brother never changes his own sheets. My mom does it for him like once a month. So the build up of stuff on there can get real nasty.

Underdog on
  • life3life3 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    My first thought was sciatica. It's something that could have developed over time and may be agitated by the position you sleep in. Itchy lower back, legs, and feet are cited as possible sciatic symptoms.

life3 on
    HOW APPROPRIATE [URL="aim:goim?screenname=skullc0rp"]YOU[/URL] FIGHT LIKE A COW
  • Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    life3 wrote: »
    My first thought was sciatica. It's something that could have developed over time and may be agitated by the position you sleep in. Itchy lower back, legs, and feet are cited as possible sciatic symptoms.
    Sciatica is typically one sided, and is more associated with shooting burning pain that is alleviated when lying down or walking (since sitting down compresses the sciatic nerve more). It's not really a condition either... usually it's a cluster of symptoms that lead to some other condition.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • SerphimeraSerphimera Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I'm always itchy. So I always put on lotion after I shower in the morning and sometimes before bed.
    I occasionally dump a can of coconut milk into a bath. And you should definitely try washing your sheets with a hypoallergenic. detergent

Serphimera on
    And then I voted.
    edited November 2008
    Underdog wrote: »

That can be a pretty good question actually. My brother never changes his own sheets. My mom does it for him like once a month. So the build up of stuff on there can get real nasty.

I change my sheets about once a month or so.

Also the stress thing sounds like it might be it, I've had a fucking crazy month and that's about when it started

Khavall on
  • EriosErios Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Khavall wrote: »
    Underdog wrote: »

I change my sheets about once a month or so.

Also the stress thing sounds like it might be it, I've had a fucking crazy month and that's about when it started

Imagine if you worked out in the same pair of shorts every day. Wash that shit.

Erios on
    Steam: erios23, Live: Coconut Flavor, Origin: erios2386.
  • HypatiaHypatia Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    My doctor suggested Eucerine, which I did use for a while, and although that took away the itchy feeling, it was replaced with the feeling that I had a layer of oily lotion on my legs. I really like the body butter from Bath and Body Works, and that's what I use now.

Curel is really nice because it's non-oily, the downside is that you tend to need to reapply it more often because it's uh.. non-oily. :)

Hypatia on
  • takyristakyris Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    When do you take your shower -- before bed at night or in the morning? If you shower at night, that might have something to do with it.

takyris on
    edited November 2008
    I take my shower in the morning, and I washed my sheets twice... still happening, but it is a little better now..

Khavall on