As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Spike TV announces VGA Nominees

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I don't even know if I'll be watching this year's VGA, I mean it isn't even being powered by Gamer Fuel. Edit: My bad

Though I have to admit the lists aren't too bad. And I would actually give it a watch if I didn't know it would be full of a bunch of B-list actors and comedians cracking the same tired jokes about how "lulz, gamerz has no lives."

Dragkonias on
  • KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    OtakuD00D wrote: »
    It's Spike TV. So....

Best Wii Game
    No More Heroes

When I think of Spike TV, I think of Suda51, I'll tell you what.

Khavall on
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Best PC 3d Block Builder Ages 4+
    Spore

Best PC Game
    Sins of a Solar Empire

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    You know...I have to say I know GTA4 is going to win game of the year, but I wonder if it really deserves it.

I mean...in some ways I will say the game was a step forward, but it also felt like a step back in the GTA series. If you can understand what I'm trying to get at.

Dragkonias on
  • NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Remington wrote: »
    How can you even compare Little Big Planet to the other three games on the Best Graphics list? That's stupid.

Have... have you played gears of war 2?

also wtf at crysis warhead not on the list lololol (nor dead space) and fallout 3 being there... Fallout 3 is pretty damn good looking BUT definitely not top tier.

And where the hell is my damn dead space? Only one nomination!?! OUTRAGE

I completely agree.

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
    edited November 2008
    Yeah Fallout 3 isn't ugly, but it's not like it's Crysis fucking Warhead.

Khavall on
  • BTPBTP Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I find it interesting that there's no "Best New Technology" or "Best Breakthrough Technology" this year.

That award would automatically have to go to "Guitar Hero: On Tour", for obvious reasons.

But since Spike TV is a part of MTV, they're obviously going to shove Rock Band down our throats as much as possible and wouldn't want to give any credibility to their competition. Especially so when there's no Rock Band for DS.

emot-v.gif

BTP on
    Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection & DS High Scores Thread
    I WILL NOT BE DOING 3DS FOR NWC THREAD. SOMEONE ELSE WILL HAVE TO TAKE OVER.
    Spoiler contains Friend Codes. Won't you be my friend?
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!
    Mario Kart Wii: 3136-6982-0286 Tetris Party: 2364 1569 4310
    Guitar Hero: Metallica: 1032 7229 7191
    TATSUNOKO VS CAPCOM: 1935-2070-9123

Nintendo DS:
    Worms: Open Warfare 2: 1418-7870-1606 Space Bust-a-Move: 017398 403043
    Scribblenauts: 1290-7509-5558
  • zilozilo Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    "Studio of the year"? Is this a joke or are we treating development houses like sports teams now?

zilo on
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    TheStig wrote: »
    How can you even compare Little Big Planet to the other three games on the Best Graphics list? That's stupid.

It has better graphics than
    Gears of War: because it has more than 3 colors.
    Fallout3: because it's cardboard cutout NPCs animated with motor bolts are more realistically animated than the NPC Fallout.
    MGS: technically qualifies as a movie thus it isn't eligible for any video game rewards.

I'm not sure just how wrong you can be, but you're on the right track to set a new record.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
    edited November 2008
    darleysam wrote: »

Fallout3: because it's cardboard cutout NPCs animated with motor bolts are more realistically animated than the NPC Fallout.
    MGS: technically qualifies as a movie thus it isn't eligible for any video game rewards.

I'm not sure just how wrong you can be, but you're on the right track to set a new record.

Well thank you for explaining exactly why my points were wrong. Your reasoning is flawless.

TheStig on
    edited November 2008

Well thank you for explaining exactly why my points were wrong. Your reasoning is flawless.

Because your points were so well postulated and so intelligent that obviously you were just putting together legit arguments.

GAME LOOK GOOD CAUSE LOLBROWN isn't a "point", it's being a dumbass

Khavall on
  • RakaiRakai Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I know it's fun to say Spike sucks and all, but it's actually a fairly decent list. Given how stacked this year has been / going to be, it's impossible to include everyone's favorite game. Ideally there would be more categories to acknowledge the differences in what games set out to do, but there are time constraints etc. As for Crysis: Warhead, perhaps that it is an expansion rather than a full game might be what is holding it back.

Rakai on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]XBL: Rakayn | PS3: Rakayn | Steam ID
    edited November 2008
    Khavall wrote: »

Because your points were so well postulated and so intelligent that obviously you were just putting together legit arguments.

Wow if I had known you cared about the spike "video game awards" so much I wouldn't have made any jokes, sorry to make fun with the contest you care so much about

TheStig on
    edited November 2008

Wow if I had known you cared about the spike "video game awards" so much I wouldn't have made any jokes, sorry to make fun with the contest you care so much about

Khavall on
    edited November 2008
    Were you trying to be sarcastic and mocking Remington? My sarcasm detector's in the shop today.

Rakai on
  • FiziksFiziks Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Dead Space only gets one nomination, and I die a little inside.

Fiziks on
    Cvcwu.jpg
    edited November 2008
    Please, Lord, smite the people at Spike. Smite them good. Thou shalt not suffer fools in silence.

It wasn't exactly a legitimate show last year either, but this is both hilarious and sad. It's sadlarious.

zilo on
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Personally, I'm shocked Smash Bros. Brawl didn't get a nod. 280-odd music tracks of pure awesome, and it doesn't get a nod? But the soundtrack to Spore does? Yeesh.

Though overall this list sucks less than past years.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
    edited November 2008
    zilo wrote: »
    Please, Lord, smite the people at Spike. Smite them good. Thou shalt not suffer fools in silence.

It wasn't exactly a legitimate show last year either, but this is both hilarious and sad. It's sadlarious.

Not enough Fallout 3 nominations?

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
    edited November 2008
    The list honestly isn't that bad...really, I can see why most of the stuff is up.

I do have to agree with the guy who asked why TWEWY isn't in best handheld though.

Dragkonias on
    edited November 2008
    zilo wrote: »

Not enough Fallout 3 nominations?

Nominating games that aren't out yet, their voice acting nominations are a joke (except David Hayter, he did the best he could), "Studio of the Year", the whole "fueled by Dew!!!" nonsense, and so on. It's like a parody of a real awards show.

Seriously, we wouldn't put up with this shit from the Emmys. Or even the Golden Globes. Hell, the Teen Choice Awards have more integrity than this sham.

zilo on
    edited November 2008
    I was just joking, I'm not that impressed with the list.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
    edited November 2008
    Oh, I know. I just wanted to rant more and you gave me the opening. :^:

zilo on
  • greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

This made me LOL.

Seriously though it depends on what you consider graphics. LBP has some really awesome textures (some of that shit looks real) and its "graphical style" is hard to beat. (Have you played the Day of the Dead inspired Wedding levels?) But yeah in terms of flashy effects, like HDR and particle effects and whatever its not a contender.

greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
    edited November 2008
    greeble wrote: »

This made me LOL.

Seriously though it depends on what you consider graphics. LBP has some really awesome textures (some of that shit looks real) and its "graphical style" is hard to beat. (Have you played the Day of the Dead inspired Wedding levels?) But yeah in terms of flashy effects, like HDR and particle effects and whatever its not a contender.

I do have to say I was impressed with GoW2. Not so much specifically for the graphics, but moreso how much of a step-up the textures were from the first game.

Dragkonias on
    edited November 2008
    Isn't fueled by Dew just a voter's choice award with sponsorship? And I'm not sure how you view those other award shows as having integrity. Even the Oscars are politicized with campaigning and everything.

Rakai on
    edited November 2008
    Rakai wrote: »
    Isn't fueled by Dew just a voter's choice award with sponsorship? And I'm not sure how you view those other award shows as having integrity. Even the Oscars are politicized with campaigning and everything.

Well...award shows are just televised opinion polls anyway(whether it's viewer's opinion or judge's opinion), so not like it's that big of a deal anyway.

Dragkonias on
    edited November 2008
    Nah, it's not a big deal. It's just stupid and annoying, an obvious grab at marketshare with just the most basic lip-service paid to integrity. The Oscars may be a big popularity contest but at least they dress it up and make it look legit. Spike is trying to get 14 year old "gamerzz" to watch their bullshit show by nominating games they know will be popular.

That's probably why there's no strategy game award. Their target market doesn't play strategy games, according to whatever market analysis firm they paid to generate this list.

zilo on
  • AzioAzio Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I'm sorry, the year that Crysis: Warhead is out and it's not on "Best Graphics" list?

What the fuck?
    How else are they supposed to give the award to Gears of War?

Azio on
  • XtarathXtarath Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Sorry, I'll wait a couple more years before I put any faith into them.

As a matter of fact, I know poll threads are no no, do we ever have a best of... awards thread?

Xtarath on
    edited November 2008
    Azio wrote: »
    I'm sorry, the year that Crysis: Warhead is out and it's not on "Best Graphics" list?

What the fuck?
    How else are they supposed to give the award to Gears of War?

In a surprise twist, Spike awards the "Best Wii game" to Gears 2.

Khavall on
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Two big problems that I've noticed that has already been pointed out by others:
    Crysis Warhead nominated for best PC game, but not for best graphics.
    The World Ends With You nominated for best RPG, but not best handheld game.

Peewi on
  • LaonarLaonar Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I could care less about the awards... i still going to play games not on the list or on the list.

Laonar on
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Laonar wrote: »
    I could care less about the awards... i still going to play games not on the list or on the list.

Couldn't. You couldn't care less.

Peewi on
  • EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Midnight club LA for best racer? Really? GRiD was a WAAAY better game than this one.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • MarioGMarioG Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Well, at least it seems better than last year. But we all know the gamers that watch SpikeTV and/or even bother to vote for this "video game award show".

MarioG on
    Kay wrote:
    Mario, if Slenderman had a face, I would punch him in it.

Hey, I have a blog! (Actually being updated again!)

3DS: 0860-3240-2604
  • EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    It looks like these guys go to wal mart or onto gamespot and pick random games to put in here, these awards have always been filled to the brim with advertising and nonsense. Most of it is a win based on who gives them the most money to be the winner i think. I really dont like how it has a bunch of games that havn't even been released yet, that kind of pisses me off and re-affirms it as just a big advertising campaign.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • XtarathXtarath Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    List also fails with no Banjo for best graphics, or music. Or at all.

Xtarath on
  • taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I would have chosen Valkyria Chronicles as the hands down winner for GOTY, best ps3 game and best graphics...and they didn't even give it one nomination =(

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Taramoor wrote: »
    It's going to be really tough for them to choose best Wii game.

See, it's funny because Wii = Not teh x-treme

I'm expecting them to watch a minute or two of No More Heroes' combat, and then pick it by reflex.

jothki on