As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Sell Me a PSP

Mr PinkMr Pink I got catsfor youRegistered User regular
edited November 2008 in Games and Technology
I've recently come into some extra cash and have been thinking about picking up a PSP. I've always liked the little thing, despite Sony's terrible ads. Plus, I'm a sucker for FF Tactics, and weird games like Katamari, Patapon, Loco Roco, etc. And a local FYE is selling a pack with the PSP, a game, case, battery and memory card for 169.99.

I travel a lot for my job and I always take my trusty DS with me. Would a PSP be worth the investment? And is there anything I should know right off the bat with owning one (kinks, problems, etc)?

Mr Pink on

• Options
    DeaconKnowledgeDeaconKnowledge Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I don't see anything you've posted that could influence someone to recommend you not getting one.

You have more than 3 games you want, so go for it.

DeaconKnowledge on
    My NEW Wii code - 5227 1968 3982 4139. My Wii needs your Miis! Please give generously!
    Animal Crossing - 3566 5318 4585/2492 7891 0383 Deacon/Akisha in Crayon
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    They break easily.

But since you already have a DS you don't need convincing about that side of the coin.

So yeah, they break easily and the DS has a larger library with less wasted time on loading and longer battery life.

No reason to not own one though, to at least get those experiences in.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I don't see anything you've posted that could influence someone to recommend you not getting one.

I guess I just wanted to know if there was some info like 'Sony to discontinue PSP support in 09' or something. Or that they were about to release a new version and I should just wait.

Mr Pink on
  • Options
    corin7corin7 San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Mr Pink wrote: »

I guess I just wanted to know if there was some info like 'Sony to discontinue PSP support in 09' or something. Or that they were about to release a new version and I should just wait.

Not likely. 2008 was pretty much the best year yet for the PSP and they just launched the 3000 model in the last month. It will be around a while.

It is also the only place to really play any kind of Monster Hunter game in western markets which makes it must own imo. Do it, I love mine.

corin7 on
  • Options
    EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

They just released the 3000 series with better lcd screens. Downside is they ghost images a somewhat.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_Portable_(PSP-3000_series)

EvilBadman on
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    It's great for perfect ports of some fantastic games, like Castlevania: Symphony of the Night(Dracula X Chroncles), FFT, Valkyrie Profile, and there's also good unique games like FF7: Crisis Core, Wild Arms XF, Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops, Lumines II, etc.

And of course, DJ MAX.

Blythe

The US version is supposedly coming out in January.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    SvevinSvevin Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    It's got good exclusives. If you can afford it, why not get one?

Svevin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Lord YodLord Yod Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Final Fantasy Tactics
    Jeanne d'Arc
    Disgaea

Also awesome:
    Ratchet and Clank: Size Matters and Secret Agent Clank
    both Syphon Filter games
    Daxter is pretty good
    Puzzle Quest if you don't already have it on DS
    Final Fantasy 1 with new art (not sure about the art in 2)
    Final Fantasy 7: Crisis Core
    Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops (make sure to get the regular one, not the Portable Ops + which is multiplayer-only)

It's got great games. I've got one and play it all the time. If you have a PS3 it has some pretty rad interaction functions there as well.

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AoiAoi Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    They break easily.

But since you already have a DS you don't need convincing about that side of the coin.

So yeah, they break easily and the DS has a larger library with less wasted time on loading and longer battery life.

I've had a launch phat, and a new 2000. They've both gotten a ton of use and abuse, been dropped on tile, etc, and I've never had a single problem with either. The phats had a problem with dead pixels, but I've never seen any real widespread problems with the system breaking easily, the load times are overblown, and barely noticeable now, and the battery life is fine, and an extended life battery is available for those of us who around 8 hours of game time is a problem.

Aoi on
  • Options
    corin7corin7 San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Aoi wrote: »
    They break easily.

I've had a launch phat, and a new 2000. They've both gotten a ton of use and abuse, been dropped on tile, etc, and I've never had a single problem with either. The phats had a problem with dead pixels, but I've never seen any real widespread problems with the system breaking easily, the load times are overblown, and barely noticeable now, and the battery life is fine, and an extended life battery is available for those of us who around 8 hours of game time is a problem.

Yeah actually. I have had my 2000 over a year now. I carry it to work everyday in my pocket with no case. I have dropped it several times including once where the umd cover popped off. It still works flawlessly. It is probably one of the better pieces of hardware I have purchased.

corin7 on
  • Options
    DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I recently picked a PSP up myself and I don't regret it at all (and I still love my DS to death). Lots of great 2D platformers, weird and quirky games, 3D hack-and-slashers and action-RPGs, and SRPGs. If you get a 2000 instead of a 3000, there are a lot of very high-quality homebrew games (including Cave Story!).

Also, a great thing I've found is that swarths of awesome games can be had for practically nothing now. I've been completely going to town on Goozex with PSP games.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    So, does it clearly say on the box if it's a 3000 or a 2000? Or all the older ones pretty much out of stores?

Mr Pink on
  • Options
    NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I'm not sure where the rumor of breaking easily comes from, but its not been my experience with the device. It seems to be quite sturdy.

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    A PSP is an excellent complement to owning a DS, especially if you travel a lot or otherwise love the portability part of the portable consoles. :) I commute every day and I actually like that the PSP library has a number of PS2-era franchises, because my PS2 doesn't do me any good when I'm on the bus for an hour.

The PSP library excels in spots where the DS library is a bit lacking, and vice versa; I don't have as many PSP games as DS games but in terms of traditional gaming it scratches itches that the DS doesn't quite hit right. I'll cosign pretty much everything mentioned above (except for Secret Agent Clank, I haven't played it but apparently it's more of a stealth-based game than a typical R&C platformer?). In terms of accessories, look for SanDisk Pro Duo sticks and be sure to buy new and from a reputable source, since there are tons of knock-off counterfeit memory sticks that will crap out on you at the worst possible time.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    So, does it clearly say on the box if it's a 3000 or a 2000? Or all the older ones pretty much out of stores?

I'm fairly certain you can still find 2000 models in stores and online, so be cautious of any site that doesn't specify the model.

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    NorfairNorfair Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    If you already have a DS, then the PSP is the perfect complement to it. A lot of the best PSP games can be had cheaply these days. There's really no reason not to get one. EDIT: In the US, if it's the Madden, God of War, or Daxter bundles, then it's the 2000 model. The Piano Black model could go either way. The Ratchet & Clank bundle is the 3000.

Also, beat'd soundly by Lunker.

Norfair on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

I'm fairly certain you can still find 2000 models in stores and online, so be cautious of any site that doesn't specify the model.

If you want a 2000 for homebrew, you still have to be careful on which you buy as most of the stand alone systems now have the cpu that prevents running of homebrew. Your safest bet is to get one of the 2000 bundle packs, like the blue madden psp, or the red god of war psp. The ratchet & clank one is a 3000.

Svevin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2008

I actually just looked up the deal FYE has. It's the 'mystic silver' PSP 3000, Ratchet and Clank: Size Matters, National Treasure 2, 1 GB memory stick and a download for Echocrome. So I guess that settles it.

Mr Pink on
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    The only game I've used my DS for in the past few months is TWEWY. Of course, the only thing I've used my PSP for in the past few months is the Monster Hunter series (Freedom 2 and Portable 2nd G), although I did end up playing through Crisis Core and Metal Gear Portable Ops. They just didn't monopolize my time nearly as much as Monster Hunter.

2000 series are still for sale and are likely to be for some time. With the UMD caching on the 2000s (and 3000s), load times are much less noticeable. With the latest 5.00 Firmware, you can buy and download games directly to your memory stick, connected to just a wireless access point. Patapon and Jeanne D'arc are available there, by the way, and memory stick games load up WAY faster and consume much less battery.

Old 1000 series are still available as well. The local gaming stores typically sell packages at 100 bucks or less, especially with the 3000 series out and all. I use 1000 series exclusively, but I'm heavily into the Custom Firmware and Homebrew scene. The battery lasts longer, but the screen sucks in the sunlight. If you travel a lot in sunny areas, then the 2000 is better and the 3000 is the best (the "ghosting" only appears with special circumstances in darkly lit rooms... in the sunlight, the 3000 works very well).

EDIT: 169 bucks for all that? There are places that sell 2000s with barely anything for that price. That's a good deal.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    While you're at it sell me a new girlfriend.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Svevin wrote: »

If you want a 2000 for homebrew, you still have to be careful on which you buy as most of the stand alone systems now have the cpu that prevents running of homebrew. Your safest bet is to get one of the 2000 bundle packs, like the blue madden psp, or the red god of war psp. The ratchet & clank one is a 3000.

How can you tell what cpu you have, short of trying to hack it? I've never heard anything like that before. I bought a core 2000 and I'm still waiting for my battery to come in the mail, so I'm starting to worry :P

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Just got a PSP 3000, and the new screen's pretty great for watching videos. I was stupidly scared when I first heard about the scanline issue and saw the "evidence shots", but I haven't yet noticed anything unusual really (well, those with a more keen eye might).
    There're about 15 or so games on it that have peaked my interest, but the future of the system does seems rather dim right now. On the plus side, you can get most of the games you want for a cheap price.

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I'd say get one. There's enough solid titles in there to keep you pretty damn entertained, especially if you're into RPGs. Another word of advice: if 3000s are anything like 2000s, I recommend a non-Best Buy (too many horror stories) in-store warranty of some sort.

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    And of course, DJ MAX.

The US version is supposedly coming out in January.

Damnit, I should have figured by reading the "sell me a psp" thread I'd get sold a psp.

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    DisDis Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Stuck Pixel and Dead Pixel.
    Pray to your god or goddess that you won't ends up with them.

*owns a PSP with stuck pixels :(

Dis on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    SeruleSerule Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I've only had mine a few months.

The good:
    I like being able to download games straight to my flash card. The web browser is passable if you don't mind going to mobile sites. The disc load times aren't near as bad as I thought they might be and battery life is pretty good. The screen is amazing and the graphics are quite nice.

The neutral:
    A lot of the multimedia capabilities seem kind of pointless to me. It's too big to use as an MP3 player and I have no urge to watch movies on it. I did load some of my photos on it and looked at them when I was away from home on business so I guess that was OK.

The bad:
    Not much; my biggest complaint would probably be that it's pretty bulky to carry around. I don't feel that safe toting it to work without a case and the case upsizes it from medium to large. It also feels a bit fragile compared to my DS but I haven't had any problems so far.

Serule on
  • Options
    JurgJurg In a TeacupRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Get Gitarooman Lives!

It's an okay port of my favorite game ever. I'd say best ever, but then people would be all, "blah, blah opinions."

Basically, it's an absurd coming-of-age rhythym game with plenty of style and substance.

Also, in regards to exclusives, Crisis Core was a very fun game, even if the story missions became laughably easy after doing only a few side missions, which make up the core of the game.

FFT and Disgaea are must haves if you haven't played them before. Maybe even if you have played them before, for good measure.

Jurg on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    BabbleBabble Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Well you say you already have a DS, so that's covered. I would say get it! The PSP is a great system as long as you enjoy the type of games that come out for it. I would say to go through a website that has the best rated games listed, if a good number of those interest you then you are good to go!

Babble on
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Serule wrote: »

The neutral:
    A lot of the multimedia capabilities seem kind of pointless to me. It's too big to use as an MP3 player and I have no urge to watch movies on it. I did load some of my photos on it and looked at them when I was away from home on business so I guess that was OK.

The big draw about this is you can buy cables (around $20, last I remember) that will specifcally connect your PSP to a component connection on a TV. If you get some slick conversion programs, essentially, you can play anything on your PSP using that handy SD card.

Yeah, alright, I used to work at Fry's. :P

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Should also be noted that the video out cables for the PSP totally suck ass and you really shouldn't use them unless you want to watch the game on your TV... But only at ~30% of the screen.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    urahonky wrote: »
    Should also be noted that the video out cables for the PSP totally suck ass and you really shouldn't use them unless you want to watch the game on your TV... But only at ~30% of the screen.

*Sigh* Pretty much. It's useful in long trips if one doesn't have a laptop.

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    LukinLukin Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    My PSP makes my pinkies go numb. It's uncomfortable so I don't play it. It's been in a drawer in my desk for a year.

Other than that though, it's a fantastic piece of hardware and it's amazing how veristile it is. I just wish it was more comfortable to actually use.

Lukin on
    cancer.jpg
  • Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Jurg wrote: »
    Get Gitarooman Lives!

It's an okay port of my favorite game ever. I'd say best ever, but then people would be all, "blah, blah opinions."

Basically, it's an absurd coming-of-age rhythym game with plenty of style and substance.

I think I heard it had an extra song, but other than that are there any differences from the PS2 Gitaroo Man?

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Lukin wrote: »
    My PSP makes my pinkies go numb. It's uncomfortable so I don't play it. It's been in a drawer in my desk for a year.

Other than that though, it's a fantastic piece of hardware and it's amazing how veristile it is. I just wish it was more comfortable to actually use.
    This applies to me unfortunately. I would like to play a bunch of the games PSP offers, but I went to try the system itself it was an immediate and shocking turn off; someone had obviously been coming into my room while I sleep to take measurements, just to ensure PSP's would fit wrong in my grasp in absolutely in every way possible. Additionally, that analog nub is among the worst compromises ever born.

If those casemodding geniuses who stuff occasionally the becomes the popular meme of the week (like that handheld Dreamcast or SNES) could make me an affordable PSP with a custom-fitted casing, a better d-pad and and the nub replaced by a real analog stick, it'd be approachable.

IceBurner on
    3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Actually, the D-pad in the 2000 and 3000 series is excellent... it functions smoothly and it's responsive even in fighting games (being an avid Street Fighter and Tekken player, I've been keen to notice). It's the 1000 series that has the horrible D-pad. Ugh.

The Analog Nub is still bad, but don't try any of the custom "hats" to replace it... it has a tendancy to snap off stick portion of the assembly. I personally don't mind the nub, but I know some folks who do.

I'm not sure where the pinky numbness comes into play. The way I hold it, the Pinkies don't even come into the equation. If I had no pinkies, I'd still be playing the PSP the same way. Besides, numbness in the pinky is mostly associated in with the ulnar nerve, which runs through the medial portion of your wrist (which also doesn't come into the equation when I hold a PSP).

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    JurgJurg In a TeacupRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    BlueBlue wrote: »
    Jurg wrote: »
    Get Gitarooman Lives!

I think I heard it had an extra song, but other than that are there any differences from the PS2 Gitaroo Man?

From the top of my head:

-Two new songs (They are duet songs, but can be played single player)
    -Second stage's lyrics are now in English; they were better in Japanese
    -You can pause songs part of the way through without having to restart
    -IMO, the PSP is harder to use than a PS2 controller
    -Apparently it has some sort of multiplayer?
    -Portable, obviously

Jurg on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Lukin wrote: »

I'd suggest something like the PSP Grip to give you something to hold onto, plus it extends battery life.

freakish light on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    DeathPrawn wrote: »
    Svevin wrote: »

How can you tell what cpu you have, short of trying to hack it? I've never heard anything like that before. I bought a core 2000 and I'm still waiting for my battery to come in the mail, so I'm starting to worry :P

There really is no way to tell until you open the package. If you boot it up and it already has v4.01 firmware or higher on it, chances are good that it's the no-homebrew cpu. Not guaranteed, but chances are good. The only way to know for sure is to use a pandora battery and try to run some homebrew program that I never did get around to figuring out how to use. LIke I said, the safest bet is to get one of the bundles that I mentioned above.

Svevin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I picked up my PSP again recently and it's a great little device but if you have a DS and no PS3 I'd say stick with the DS and maybe look into some games that you wouldn't have normally if you're looking for a new experience.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I'm not sure where the rumor of breaking easily comes from, but its not been my experience with the device. It seems to be quite sturdy.
    Yeah, I've smacked mine into a wall (not on purpose, mind you) and it's still running. I was worried for a sec.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz