As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

new comic 10/14

• Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Hunter wrote: »
    I got into Warhammer online instead. I prefer the PvP aspect in Warhammer and WoW is too much PvE grinding.

Like if I miss a night of warhammer I don't feel like I've fucked over people and now have no way of catching up gear wise, and will be a second class citizen because I can't raid the next level. I can just go shoot a bunch of people trying to steal my castle and catch up.

Yep. I also like how quest rewards are always something your class can use. Im not turning in a quest that gives me a plate helm for my Rune Priest.

Marathon on
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    arod_77 wrote: »
    Its not fun. Its not fun. Its not fun.

Interacting with people is fun. A sense of accomplishment in a group setting is fun. Wearing shiny doodads is fun.

The game itself: not fun. They lost me when they made PVP just another crappy grind.

but...but, aren't all those things the game? I mean, the game is modeled around accomplishing things with other people, accruing shinier things that you "work" for, and interacting with a community. isn't that, like, the definition of a mmo?

Langly on
  • Options
    arod_77arod_77 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008
    Some fruit in my sociology class comes in wearing a different WoW shirt everyday and tries to talk my ear off about this shit. Especially this goddamn week.

I want to shake him.

arod_77 on
    glitteratsigcopy.jpg
  • Options
    StarfuckStarfuck Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2008
    everything vendors for the same price too
    it's not like, while, i may or may not want to use that trinket, but if i don't i don't want to pass up this sword that can sell for twice as much, what do i do

Starfuck on
    jackfaces
    "If you're going to play tiddly winks, play it with man hole covers."
    - John McCallum
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    To me "the game" always felt like a trick. Turning in quests--watching the blue bar creep up. Little scraps of bread tossed at you. You could do no more and no less to change anything than any other rube: to do anything truly amazing is beyond capability. Barely any fun ways to break the game even.

Nothing wrong with using an MMO as a tool to chat with friends but I couldn't deceive myself about the gameplay any longer.

Turning BG's into a loot grind was the final straw. Constraining PVP to a crackerjack box was a huge fucking mistake.

arod_77 on
    glitteratsigcopy.jpg
  • Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Making WoW into a little e-sport with the arenas and tying in the top tier PvP loot to a system that favored flavor of the month combos or whatever character was currently OP during this patch just fucked the system. It wasn't PvP, it was humping pillars and using classes that have skills better suited in this particular event.

Then those kiddies who happened to roll the character best suited for the arena thought they were the fucking mac daddies of WoW.

I always preferred big sweeping battle grounds and world PvP. That's all Warhammer is. Fucking sweet. It just needs a few months of polish and it will be a great game.

Hunter on
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    what are you all about?
    was a fun line

you know what was a fun game? munchkin. that game was awesome.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I am more glad than ever that I never played this.

KetBra on
    KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    So basically WoW has Sauron now?

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    DerLustigeBosniakDerLustigeBosniak Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Yea, that's not a good ToTP.

DerLustigeBosniak on
    sig-3.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Is this the last expansion?

Aren't they going to run out of demi-gods and gods to kill?

arod_77 on
    glitteratsigcopy.jpg
  • Options
    jwalkjwalk Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Honestly, you simply enjoy this type of game or you don't.

They are not going to change their formula. It's only the most sucessful and wildly lucrative video game in the history of ever, so... yeah.

jwalk on
  • Options
    KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

You are underestimating their ability to make shit up

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    The problem is that the formula is shit and it's clogging up the system. I don't mind that the game exists and some people play it--but its totally held back the MMO formula for fucking YEARS.

SWG was the best thing to happen to MMO's since UO before it got hit by the WoW craze

arod_77 on
    glitteratsigcopy.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Everquest has what, 14 expansions?

And a sequel, with its own expansions (probably, I don't really pay attention)?

jwalk on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Yes, and its clear that we have all learned a lot since Everquest came out...

arod_77 on
    glitteratsigcopy.jpg
  • Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    edited November 2008

You are underestimating their ability to make shit up

This should be roughly the end of their ability to milk the plot of Warcraft III's awesome story. From here on out it's gonna be purely adversaries made up for WoW so it will likely get even more generic from here on out.

TankHammer on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I actually played and enjoyed Star Wars Galaxies for like a year

But god damn that game was a fucking train wreck development wise

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    It was so promising. So so promising.

arod_77 on
    glitteratsigcopy.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Yeah we've learned that people will pay money to run after a carrot on a stick month after month after month, and you only have to change the carrot every year or two.

jwalk on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    The problem is that the formula is shit and it's clogging up the system. I don't mind that the game exists and some people play it--but its totally held back the MMO formula for fucking YEARS.

SWG was the best thing to happen to MMO's since UO before it got hit by the WoW craze

WoW has dumbed down the MMO to such a level that any idiot can play it and be all "ZOMG I R GOT TEH SHINIEST SWORSD AND TEH BIG SPIKEY HEMLAT!".

Try going to any other MMO out there now and you'll see WoW kiddies who are trying to play a different game bitching about how things are broke or don't work right, because they think WoW is either the only way or the best way. You can spot the warcraft tards so easily, and it's just sad.

Hunter on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

This game has been out for like 4 years and you're making it sould like it singlehandedly plunged the MMO market into darkenss. It's barely been around that long in the grand scheme of MMO's.

Marathon on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    So basically WoW has Sauron now?

Man I do not even want to get into the differences because then I will nerd out hardcore

Ok you convinced me

Sauron is an angellic being akin to Satan. He's a spiritual being with a great amount of power and he can change into any form he wants to. However, at a certain point in time, his evil nature made it so that he could only drape himself in the form of a dark lord, like they portray in the movies (even though that's not how I picture him). Sauron can control any form of life because in LoTR willpower is basically how you control magic and stuff like that. Your power is directly derived from your will to control. He divests much of that power into rings which he gives to his servant keeping one ring that has the most of his power as a way of controlling them

The Lich king is just that. He's the ghost of this guy who was really evil merged with the body of Arthas, who was good and then went crazy. He only has control over undead things and can attempt to sway humans but he only has absolute control over the undead. He's a pretty powerful wizard or whatever but there is a difference between a Lich and someone who is basically a representation of satan

But yeah the way he looks does look like the way they show Sauron in the movies but they are different gooooood

Langly on
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Olivaw wrote: »

It takes some talent to make an MMO thats gotten progressively worse since release.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Marathon wrote: »

This game has been out for like 4 years and you're making it sould like it singlehandedly plunged the MMO market into darkenss. It's barely been around that long in the grand scheme of MMO's.

You can't deny that the inordinate success of WoW has shaped how everyone else does things.

arod_77 on
    glitteratsigcopy.jpg
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

Ask anyone who actually knows what they're taking about and they will tell you that WoW did absolutely everything right. In the US at least, MMO's were on their way out before Warcraft came along. EQ was long past its prime, FFXI was incredibly biased towards the Japanese playerbase, and SWG was poop from a butt. Hell, the two lead Warcraft devs actually came from the top guild in EQ and said 'hey, we could make an awesome game if we cut out all the bullshit grinding and forced group mechanics'

Everyone likes to call foul because they made the game more accessible and that's just goddamn stupid.

Javen on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

It takes some talent to make an MMO thats gotten progressively worse since release.

They listened to the community too much.

Then came the "combat upgrade" and that was the end of Galaxies

arod_77 on
    glitteratsigcopy.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Javen wrote: »

Ask anyone who actually knows what they're taking about and they will tell you that WoW did absolutely everything right. In the US at least, MMO's were on their way out before Warcraft came along. EQ was long past its prime, FFXI was incredibly biased towards the Japanese playerbase, and SWG was poop from a butt. Hell, the two lead Warcraft devs actually came from the top guild in EQ and said 'hey, we could make an awesome game if we cut out all the bullshit grinding and forced group mechanics'

Everyone likes to call foul because they made the game more accessible and that's just goddamn stupid.

Bullshit. It did everything right with a sparkling layer of Blizzard polish. It is the perfection of EQ formula but totally safe with no risks or true innovations.

arod_77 on
    glitteratsigcopy.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2008

is it still going?

Surely it isn't

Langly on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Hunter wrote: »

WoW has dumbed down the MMO to such a level that any idiot can play it and be all "ZOMG I R GOT TEH SHINIEST SWORSD AND TEH BIG SPIKEY HEMLAT!".

Try going to any other MMO out there now and you'll see WoW kiddies who are trying to play a different game bitching about how things are broke or don't work right, because they think WoW is either the only way or the best way. You can spot the warcraft tards so easily, and it's just sad.

And this is just plain wrong. Before the first expansion came out Blizzard released a statistic that about 20% of the WoW populace had ever actually seen Ragnaros. And Ragnaros wasn't even the strongest boss. Fuck, hardly anyone did Naxx because it was so goddamn hard, and that's exactly the way Blizzard wanted it. By their own admission it was the best dungeon they had ever designed. Same with BC. Sure you could get PvP epics but really only a very very small amount of people ever actually saw late game content.

Javen on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    The combat upgrade wasn't bad actually, I felt

I came back for like a month to try it out again

The problem was it lasted for all of like two months before the "new game experience" hit and made everything they had ever done meaningless

I mean what the shit

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2008

You can't deny that the inordinate success of WoW has shaped how everyone else does things.

Well yeah. It's the most popular for a reason and others will rightly copy it. But that doesn't and hasn't stopped anyone from tweaking it in ways. Warhammer is alot like WoW in some ways, but it's still different in a lot of distinct ways.

Marathon on
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2008
    Keith wrote: »
    Gork wrote: »
    I didn't know Mark Wahlberg plays WoW.

Say hi to your mother for me

I produce Entourage.

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I liked Lord of the Rings Online more than WoW

That's right, I said it

City of Heroes is probably the best recent MMO I've played though

Haven't tried Age of Conan

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2008

No, it watered down the content and let's everyone win a trophy. They also have no clue how to balance the game because they flat out can't cram both PvE and PvP for 10 classes and balance it. So instead they have a constant flux of OP, Middle of the Road, and Underpowered easy kill classes. It's random, rotated on patches, and makes people with more limited time nuts because they have to either deal with it or go back to square one for a while to catch up.

It's a good business plan though. It makes people re-roll and play through all the old content over again for a few months of subsciption fees. People do it to be able to compete on the highest level, then to have their character get nerfed because some kids cried they couldn't solo 10 paladins on their druid or some shit. Rinse...repeat.

Hunter on
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2008
    I'm interested in trying out the Stargate MMO when it comes out.

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

Well yeah. It's the most popular for a reason and others will rightly copy it. But that doesn't and hasn't stopped anyone from tweaking it in ways. Warhammer is alot like WoW in some ways, but it's still different in a lot of distinct ways.
    Even then, the similarity is only because WoW took from DAOC in the first place.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    edited November 2008

Bullshit. It did everything right with a sparkling layer of Blizzard polish. It is the perfection of EQ formula but totally safe with no risks or true innovations.

WoW introduced real solo content in MMO's. Before that your only option for progression was "group up, kill monster x ad nauseum." Before that there were no "instances" your only option to get loot was to wait in line for your turn to kill a rare spawn that anyone could just waltz up and steal anytime and there was nothing you could do about it. It didn't perfect any formula, it made a new one which worked about a thousand times better than the last one.

Javen on
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited November 2008
    dru i had a dream last night that you changed your name to Brohim and became a professional copy machine repairman.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    M.D.M.D. and then what happens? Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    The Geek wrote: »
    I'm interested in trying out the Stargate MMO when it comes out.

Me too

M.D. on
This discussion has been closed.