As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Sell Me a PSP

2»

• Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Svevin wrote: »
    DeathPrawn wrote: »
    Svevin wrote: »
    Mr Pink wrote: »
    So, does it clearly say on the box if it's a 3000 or a 2000? Or all the older ones pretty much out of stores?

I'm fairly certain you can still find 2000 models in stores and online, so be cautious of any site that doesn't specify the model.

If you want a 2000 for homebrew, you still have to be careful on which you buy as most of the stand alone systems now have the cpu that prevents running of homebrew. Your safest bet is to get one of the 2000 bundle packs, like the blue madden psp, or the red god of war psp. The ratchet & clank one is a 3000.

How can you tell what cpu you have, short of trying to hack it? I've never heard anything like that before. I bought a core 2000 and I'm still waiting for my battery to come in the mail, so I'm starting to worry :P

There really is no way to tell until you open the package. If you boot it up and it already has v4.01 firmware or higher on it, chances are good that it's the no-homebrew cpu. Not guaranteed, but chances are good. The only way to know for sure is to use a pandora battery and try to run some homebrew program that I never did get around to figuring out how to use. LIke I said, the safest bet is to get one of the bundles that I mentioned above.

They started putting new motherboards in the 2000s fairly recently. If you got an older one, you're probably OK.

freakish light on
  • Options
    solsovlysolsovly Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Got a new 2000. Contains the crappy 4.01 firmware and most likely the new unhackable chip. I bought 5 PSP games or so to play but mostly got it for the homebrew. I'm upset enough to dump it and get another one. Going to eat a fairly big loss though :(

solsovly on
  • Options
    SvevinSvevin Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    solsovly wrote: »
    Got a new 2000. Contains the crappy 4.01 firmware and most likely the new unhackable chip. I bought 5 PSP games or so to play but mostly got it for the homebrew. I'm upset enough to dump it and get another one. Going to eat a fairly big loss though :(

There's still hope for you. Get the pandora battery and test it out first before you do anything drastic.

Svevin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I picked up my PSP again recently and it's a great little device but if you have a DS and no PS3 I'd say stick with the DS and maybe look into some games that you wouldn't have normally if you're looking for a new experience.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    The motherboard that isn't moddable is the Ta-88v3. If you get a brand new 2000 series with 3.95 or 4.01 firmware, you probably have this motherboard. To find out more information, Google it (you can find out the particular boxcode that corresponds to the latest PSP slim). It'll probably become moddable in the next few months, so I wouldn't lose hope.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    SvevinSvevin Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    The motherboard that isn't moddable is the Ta-88v3. If you get a brand new 2000 series with 3.95 or 4.01 firmware, you probably have this motherboard. To find out more information, Google it (you can find out the particular boxcode that corresponds to the latest PSP slim). It'll probably become moddable in the next few months, so I wouldn't lose hope.

Do not trust the boxcode info. Trust me when I say that there is no way to tell if a core psp is moddable from the box.

Svevin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Hm...convince you to buy a PSP? Well, if you do a little running around on Black Friday (Target & Best Buy), you could get the Ratchet & Clank bundle with the Final Fantasy Tactics remake & a $20 gift card to Target for $210.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    If you like turn-based games or card based games or both, try Metal Gear Ac!d. Even better, just skip Ac!d 1 and go for Ac!d 2. Yeah, I like Metal Gear games, but I resisted both of these for a long time because of the genre. After playing them, I like them because of the gameplay and style, not the story and characters. Not to say that there aren't some cool characters, but really, the gameplay is awesome.

Renzo on
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Wait how the hell did I manage to double post like that earlier? That's just special.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!