Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Perry Bible Fellowship

13468912

Posts

  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    [IMG]http:/ /pbfcomics.com/archive_b/PBF106-Billy_the_Bunny.jpg[/IMG]

    It's not the funniest to me. I just happen to really like it. I think it's quite an important idea behind it.

    It reminds me of the villainization (that's probably not a word, but it is now!) of predators in nature. I don't think people understand that every meal for a predator can mean the difference between life and death, and any injury beyond the superficial can doom them. I recall that video of the water buffallo calf being attacked by a cheetah (and an alligator), and then the water buffalo fight back and save the calf. All the while the people are rooting for the "victim," but in reality they pretty much fucked the cheetah over.

    JKKaAGp.png
  • MrMisterMrMister Valuing scholarship above all elseRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    The Sgt. Grumbles one: what would a real bear do if you stuck a uniform on him? (A: Sit on his ass.).

    I always thought that one was a satire of anti-drug PSAs.

  • KungFuKungFu Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Do the ants dance!

    [img]httP://pbfcomics.com/archive_b/PBF062-The_Ants_Dance.gif[/img]

    This and the slugs on the sloth are definitely up there for ones that can make me laugh for minutes at a time.

    Theft 4 Bread
  • Metal Gear Solid 2 DemoMetal Gear Solid 2 Demo Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    PBF081-Q.P._Inc..gif

    This was always my favorite, I laugh every time I see it and my friends and I use 'Actually I'm just wearing your glasses' whenever things go silent

    Spoiler:
  • KupiKupi Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

    This was always my favorite, I laugh every time I see it and my friends and I use 'Actually I'm just wearing your glasses' whenever things go silent

    That : | face gets me every time.

  • Ethan SmithEthan Smith Origin name: Beart4to Arlington, VARegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Godfather wrote: »
    A long time favorite

    [IMG]http://www. pbfcomics.com/archive_b/PBF098-Sgt._Grumbles.jpg[/IMG]

    I don't think I get this one.

    The thing about PBF comics is that for a few short panels there's a suspension of real-world beliefs. You fully accept whatever situation the creator throws at you, and you're sort of transported to his little world, fully accepting whatever scenario he's come up with.

    In the final setup, the truth is revealed; Sgt. Grumbles failed to support his comrades because he's a god damn bear, and was doing stereotypical bear things.

    PBF pull this kind of thing on a regular basis, and we fall for it every time. Fantastical fantasy settings are shattered to the ground by real world implications, and this is where 90% of his jokes deride off of.

    That's why I love it so much. From a young age I've loved those jokes. The first joke I remember laughing histerically at was in the Emperor's New Groove when, even though the antagonists fell off a cliff, they still manage to get to the capital first. Krunk responds to this with "yeah, well, if you look at it...no, it doesn't make any sense"

    The desire to deprive some of our citizens of their rights—economic, civic or political—has the same basic motivation as actuates the Fascist mind when it seeks to dominate whole peoples and nations.
  • FencingsaxFencingsax Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Godfather wrote: »

    I don't think I get this one.

    The thing about PBF comics is that for a few short panels there's a suspension of real-world beliefs. You fully accept whatever situation the creator throws at you, and you're sort of transported to his little world, fully accepting whatever scenario he's come up with.

    In the final setup, the truth is revealed; Sgt. Grumbles failed to support his comrades because he's a god damn bear, and was doing stereotypical bear things.

    PBF pull this kind of thing on a regular basis, and we fall for it every time. Fantastical fantasy settings are shattered to the ground by real world implications, and this is where 90% of his jokes deride off of.

    That's why I love it so much. From a young age I've loved those jokes. The first joke I remember laughing histerically at was in the Emperor's New Groove when, even though the antagonists fell off a cliff, they still manage to get to the capital first. Krunk responds to this with "yeah, well, if you look at it...no, it doesn't make any sense"
    "Why do we even have that lever?"

    It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it
  • Dr SnofeldDr Snofeld Registered User
    edited November 2008
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Godfather wrote: »

    I don't think I get this one.

    The thing about PBF comics is that for a few short panels there's a suspension of real-world beliefs. You fully accept whatever situation the creator throws at you, and you're sort of transported to his little world, fully accepting whatever scenario he's come up with.

    In the final setup, the truth is revealed; Sgt. Grumbles failed to support his comrades because he's a god damn bear, and was doing stereotypical bear things.

    PBF pull this kind of thing on a regular basis, and we fall for it every time. Fantastical fantasy settings are shattered to the ground by real world implications, and this is where 90% of his jokes deride off of.

    That's why I love it so much. From a young age I've loved those jokes. The first joke I remember laughing histerically at was in the Emperor's New Groove when, even though the antagonists fell off a cliff, they still manage to get to the capital first. Krunk responds to this with "yeah, well, if you look at it...no, it doesn't make any sense"
    "Why do we even have that lever?"

    Excellent movie. Doesn't get the recognition it deserves imo.

    l4d_sig.png
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    [IMG]http:/ /pbfcomics.com/archive_b/PBF106-Billy_the_Bunny.jpg[/IMG]

    It's not the funniest to me. I just happen to really like it. I think it's quite an important idea behind it.

    It reminds me of the villainization (that's probably not a word, but it is now!) of predators in nature. I don't think people understand that every meal for a predator can mean the difference between life and death, and any injury beyond the superficial can doom them. I recall that video of the water buffallo calf being attacked by a cheetah (and an alligator), and then the water buffalo fight back and save the calf. All the while the people are rooting for the "victim," but in reality they pretty much fucked the cheetah over.

    Watch Planet Earth NOW.

    It really makes you feel for both sides, especially the segments in the North and South Pole...
    Spoiler:

    steam_sig.png
  • SamSam Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    KungFu wrote: »
    I am quite certain that the "man with no penis" one was originally in black & white.

    I post this on friend's facebook's on their birthday's.

    PBF032-Todays_My_Birthday.gif

    Wow I just realized- the kid's going to die when he's 16. :(

  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    You know how to use an abacus?

    tea-1.jpg
  • ArgusArgus Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Sam wrote: »
    KungFu wrote: »
    I am quite certain that the "man with no penis" one was originally in black & white.

    I post this on friend's facebook's on their birthday's.

    PBF032-Todays_My_Birthday.gif

    Wow I just realized- the kid's going to die when he's 16. :(

    There are 18 beads on that thing, plus the pattern is 3 white followed by 1 green, suggesting a 19th bead hidden on the right side.

    Where'd 16 come from?

    pasigsizedu5.jpg
  • theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Hey, maybe I'm stupid, but can someone explain this one:

    PBF030-Hey_Goat.gif

    Mythbusters once cut a car in half and drove around in it to see if it would run. Even they were less poorly conveyed.
  • TL DRTL DR Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    He causes an avalanche.

    eokNV.jpg
  • MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS
    edited November 2008
    Yelling causes avalanches

  • yakulyakul Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Shouting out your love to the world will only end in your untimely demise?

  • SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    It was his, hers, and the goat's birthday that day

    It's an easy game to hate
  • Casual EddyCasual Eddy Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Death could be moving the bead in the other direction, suggesting a relatively lengthy life.

    wait no I am not going to argue about this

  • theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    He causes an avalanche.

    Damn it, so obvious now that I see it. Didn't even pick up on the snow.

    Mythbusters once cut a car in half and drove around in it to see if it would run. Even they were less poorly conveyed.
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Death could be moving the bead in the other direction, suggesting a relatively lengthy life.

    wait no I am not going to argue about this

    The motion lines aren't pointing in that direction.

    tea-1.jpg
  • MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    These two are my favorites I think.

    PBF186-Guntron_Alliance_Force.jpg

    PBF210-Wishing_Well.gif

    steam_sig.png
  • RingoRingo Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Variable wrote: »
    Variable wrote: »
    I found that stork one funny without the vulture. it's a nice touch though, if only because you can miss it.
    How is it funny without the vulture?

    as people have said, the surrealistic nature of the comics are in and of themselves often enough to make one laugh. I was laughing at the idea of the whole stork baby delivery thing being real, but also being so real as to have to deal with complaining customers who claim they didn't get their shipment. making the ridiculous or mythological as mundane as working at UPS is quite funny to me.

    but perhaps I just have simple tastes.
    That's what I got out of the strip as well, the first time I saw it.

    ceres wrote: »
    I'm just going to go ahead and lock this thread before I feel any worse about humanity.
    AUGMENTOS - Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • TaximesTaximes Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    Wishing Well
    Spoiler:

    I love how he manages to convey the perfect expressions in the last panel with nothing but two dots for eyes.

  • Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Nerdgasmic wrote: »
    I think he makes fun of that tendency in this one:

    PBF209-Now_Showing.jpg

    This is like the only comic on his site I've never gotten, I just don't get it for some reason.

  • TL DRTL DR Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Death could be moving the bead in the other direction, suggesting a relatively lengthy life.

    wait no I am not going to argue about this

    Also the beads could be in non-annual increments, death would be unlikely to kill someone on their birthday, etc etc.

    eokNV.jpg
  • MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Dark_Side wrote: »
    Nerdgasmic wrote: »
    I think he makes fun of that tendency in this one:

    PBF209-Now_Showing.jpg

    This is like the only comic on his site I've never gotten, I just don't get it for some reason.

    He's saying the future may not care enough about history to get the details right, and after a certain point, reality and fiction are going to start getting muddled.

    Like the Past-O-Rama exhibit in Futurama.

    steam_sig.png
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Dark_Side wrote: »
    Nerdgasmic wrote: »
    I think he makes fun of that tendency in this one:

    PBF209-Now_Showing.jpg[IMG]

    This is like the only comic on his site I've never gotten, I just don't get it for some reason.

    It's saying that a lot of our assumptions, especially in movies, about how ancient cultures and civilizations worked are likely out of whack, putting technological advancements centuries out of place at times, by projecting what some future culture thinks of our own time from a millenia away.

    Basically it's the History Channel doing a special on Hitler in 3045.

    tea-1.jpg
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    Dark_Side wrote: »
    Nerdgasmic wrote: »
    I think he makes fun of that tendency in this one:

    PBF209-Now_Showing.jpg[IMG]

    This is like the only comic on his site I've never gotten, I just don't get it for some reason.

    He's saying the future may not care enough about history to get the details right, and after a certain point, reality and fiction are going to start getting muddled.

    Like the Past-O-Rama exhibit in Futurama.
    I had assumed it was more a mockery of our current prediliction to glorify ancient cultures in ways all out of proportion with established fact. See 300, Gladiator, Spartacus etc... He's just extrapolating that out to the future where the wars that are fresh in our cultural mind would have risen to epic proportions as those notable battles of the past have to us.

    Ringo wrote: »
    Well except what see317 said. That guy's always wrong.
  • osietraosietra __BANNED USERS
    edited November 2008
  • JohnDoeJohnDoe Registered User
    edited November 2008
    Dark_Side wrote: »
    Nerdgasmic wrote: »
    I think he makes fun of that tendency in this one:

    PBF209-Now_Showing.jpg

    This is like the only comic on his site I've never gotten, I just don't get it for some reason.

    Its a parody of "historical" movies that take a huge dramatic license and ignore what actually happened.

  • RingoRingo Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    It is all of these things, and that's why it's so great.


    Well except what see317 said. That guy's always wrong.

    ceres wrote: »
    I'm just going to go ahead and lock this thread before I feel any worse about humanity.
    AUGMENTOS - Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • KalTorakKalTorak Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    How is he even slicing the Nazi's head off so cleanly with a lance like that?!

    Those crazy future-people!

  • CyvrosCyvros Look behind you, a three-headed monkey!Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Nazis have small, pencil-like necks. They wear simple padding around them to give the illusion of normal-thickness necks.

  • GenericFanGenericFan Registered User
    edited November 2008
    Man, how did I miss this thread for the past...5 days!?

    I have not been paying attention, but heck do I love me some PBF.

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Casual EddyCasual Eddy Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    The best part about guntron is the green guy's expression

  • AegeriAegeri Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    JohnDoe wrote: »
    Dark_Side wrote: »
    Nerdgasmic wrote: »
    I think he makes fun of that tendency in this one:

    PBF209-Now_Showing.jpg

    This is like the only comic on his site I've never gotten, I just don't get it for some reason.

    Its a parody of "historical" movies that take a huge dramatic license and ignore what actually happened.

    Also penises everywhere.

  • CyvrosCyvros Look behind you, a three-headed monkey!Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
  • CervetusCervetus Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    KalTorak wrote: »
    How is he even slicing the Nazi's head off so cleanly with a lance like that?!

    Those crazy future-people!

    How does a single bullet cause someone to go flying yards backward? It's the same thing, really.

    The libertarian response to anything is, "Sure, that works fine in practice, but it doesn't fly in theory."
  • Casual EddyCasual Eddy Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Cyvros wrote: »
    Why's the E in "Cinema" backwards?

    It's the FUTURE

  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    The best part about PBF is the expressions

    fix'd

    tea-1.jpg
13468912
Sign In or Register to comment.