As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

new comic 10/14

• DefenderDefender Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    "Mister Defecation"

That is an awesome name.

Defender on
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Regarding the Newspost: Yes, Gabe. TouchFLO is shit. You should quit AT&T anyway and get a G1 with T-Mobile.

I can get you a deal.

Centipede Damascus on
  • KazhiimKazhiim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008
    wheres mankirk's tusk

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2008
    You've been learnin', baby, I bean learnin',
    All them good times, baby, baby, I've been yearnin',
    Way, way down inside honey, you need it,
    I'm gonna give you my love... I'm gonna give you my love.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • MeissnerdMeissnerd Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    My problem really is that Blizzard seems to have a knee-jerk response with nerfs. Some people complain, they go WHOOOOOPSSS and then things are messed up. It's not just in WoW; I remember they did it in Wc3 (I don't recall the specifics though).

Meissnerd on
  • TossrockTossrock too weird to live too rare to dieRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    ZeroFill wrote: »
    blizz needs to do like valve and integrate the best and brightest of the player mod base into their team

This is an idea I can get behind

Play Pudge Wars

Tossrock on
    sig.png
    edited November 2008
    Druhim wrote: »
    You've been learnin', baby, I bean learnin',
    All them good times, baby, baby, I've been yearnin',
    Way, way down inside honey, you need it,
    I'm gonna give you my love... I'm gonna give you my love.

You know if he could just avoid having his super-loud mangasm for 1/3 of the song, it would be pretty good.

Defender on
    edited November 2008
    Tossrock wrote: »
    blizz needs to do like valve and integrate the best and brightest of the player mod base into their team

Play Pudge Wars

So what are you gonna do about it, man?

Defender on
  • RanxRanx Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I don't know why blizzard hasn't straight up hired the guy who did Defence of the Ancients

Ranx on
    edited November 2008
    Defender wrote: »

Play Pudge Wars

So what are you gonna do about it, man?

I actually brought a CD full of my work, industry references (remember when I PMed you that time?), a personal letter, and a resume from San Diego to Irvine to attend a job fair at UC Irvine where Blizzard University Relations was at, had a personal conversation with the recruiter lady (Chou Her, who has the funny address of cher@), and thought I made a pretty good impression.

They never called me back.

Tossrock on
    sig.png
    edited November 2008
    What the hell, what a bunch of boners! But, you know, they are not the only game in town.

Defender on
  • KazhiimKazhiim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008
    Ranx wrote: »
    I don't know why blizzard hasn't straight up hired the guy who did Defence of the Ancients

there are like eight dudes who did it

and the guy made his own game

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • CampionCampion Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Look at them on the front page. Teasing everyone with their conversations. More podcasts!

Campion on
    4484-7718-8470
  • ZampanoZampano Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    This back and forth is hilarious. The only other time I remember this was back when Gabe brought up Scythe

Anyone remember what the date on that was?

Zampano on
    BrawlSig.gif
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited November 2008
    i love the back-and-forths

it's been a while since the last one

Garlic Bread on
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited November 2008
    okay I'm not the only one to mention that it's actually november am I

DJ Eebs on
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    huh, you might have a point there

Centipede Damascus on
  • RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    okay I'm not the only one to mention that it's actually november am I

dude

beat me to it by like 4 seconds

ass

Raneados on
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited November 2008
    4 seconds or 14 minutes

DJ Eebs on
  • Cold Salmon and HatredCold Salmon and Hatred __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008
    WoW co- wait

Cold Salmon and Hatred on
  • JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    The only MMO that could really tempt me at this point is one based on Interstate '76. Just an obscenely massive persistent map of the American Southwest filled with groups of people riveting machine guns to their hoods and blowing the shit out of one another. All to the smooth tunes of the seventies.

The one thing I really regret is that the rise of low-profile voice chat clients would make it impossible to chain people to the limitations of CB radio for communication in-game.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    yeah the guy who did DotA is making his own game very similar to DotA right now.

http://www.leagueoflegends.com/

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    so not 3 days into the expansion, a guild has already cleared all of the current raid content. on heroic.

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
    edited November 2008
    One nice thing about designing for consoles is that it's easier to bind people to your own restrictions regarding chat. For example, Splinter Cell made use of the idea that when a spy puts a merc in a choke hold, the merc can't use his radio, and also it allows players to overhear their enemies. It works better in larger games, though, especially games where you play with strangers. In two-person games where you team up with people you actually know, you can just call them on the phone or something and bypass the game's system.

In designing for team-based systems, you have to give players an incentive to use the game's voice chat, or just design the voice chat to be unrestricted so that players who do use a vent channel aren't getting any advantage.

Defender on
  • ClawshrimpyClawshrimpy Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I may have to play this.

AND IT'S ALL THANKS TO MY PC NOT BEING ABLE TO RUN WARHAMMER. FUCK YOU PC, YOU'RE MAKING ME REACTIVATE IT!

Clawshrimpy on
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    you could show some semblance of self-control

PiptheFair on
    edited November 2008
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    you could show some semblance of self-control

Nope.

Defender on
  • ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008

1) Because the map was originally made by a team.

2) Because the idea isn't terribly original. It isn't even very well-executed. It just seems that way because Icefrog has had four years to work on bugs and balance. And guess what, he's still re-balancing heroes who've existed since before Frozen Throne.

Shorty on
  • ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Jedoc wrote: »
    The only MMO that could really tempt me at this point is one based on Interstate '76. Just an obscenely massive persistent map of the American Southwest filled with groups of people riveting machine guns to their hoods and blowing the shit out of one another. All to the smooth tunes of the seventies.

The one thing I really regret is that the rise of low-profile voice chat clients would make it impossible to chain people to the limitations of CB radio for communication in-game.

That game had fantastic multiplay.

Shorty on
    edited November 2008
    Shorty wrote: »

2) Because the idea isn't terribly original. It isn't even very well-executed. It just seems that way because Icefrog has had four years to work on bugs and balance. And guess what, he's still re-balancing heroes who've existed since before Frozen Throne.

I would like to add two things here.

First, Aeon Of Heroes predates Defense Of The Ancients significantly. I don't know if it was the same creator, but if it wasn't, then DotA is just a renamed AoH.

Second, about balancing, look at Starcraft. Blizzard Patched that for more than four years. Warcraft 3 has also undergone balance patches for more than four years. In addition, Blizzard has far more manpower than DotA, plus they have access to a huge database full of stats about ladder play (which they balance), whereas the DotA guy does not have a huge database of stats about DotA play.

Defender on
    edited November 2008

It wasn't originally a team development so much as it's been worked on by a string of people. First Eul, then Guinsoo, and now Icefrog (and co).

Also, it's very well executed. It's one of the most highly polished custom games available. It doesn't really have a clarity of vision or uniqueness of gameplay like say, AotZ, DoE, or ToB, but for what it is, it succeeds pretty darn well.

gettin' my WC3 custom game boner going itt

edit to Defender: Aeon of Strife was the original "you control one powerful unit in a fight between two computer controlled armies" style custom game, and it was for Starcraft. They weren't by the same person. Still, suggesting that it's just a renamed AoS is like saying Halo is just a renamed Wolfenstein. They're both instances of the same genre, but there are still significant differences between them.

Tossrock on
    sig.png
    edited November 2008
    Don't get me wrong, though. I love the shit out of DotA. However, I have a problem with it. The problem is that when I get into it, I play it far too much. I'm pretty sure that my lack of self-control with the game is what caused one of my ex-girlfriends to break up with me. So, I don't play it anymore.

Shorty on
    edited November 2008

It wasn't originally a team development so much as it's been worked on by a string of people. First Eul, then Guinsoo, and now Icefrog (and co).

Also, it's very well executed. It's one of the most highly polished custom games available. It doesn't really have a clarity of vision or uniqueness of gameplay like say, AotZ, DoE, or ToB, but for what it is, it succeeds pretty darn well.

gettin' my WC3 custom game boner going itt

edit to Defender: Aeon of Strife was the original "you control one powerful unit in a fight between two computer controlled armies" style custom game, and it was for Starcraft. They weren't by the same person. Still, suggesting that it's just a renamed AoS is like saying Halo is just a renamed Wolfenstein. They're both instances of the same genre, but there are still significant differences between them.

I'm just saying that the core concept between the WC3 AoH or AoS or whatever the first version was called was extremely similar to DotA. I mean, you have one powerful hero, you have custom items and powers, you have swarms of troops spawning on either side, your objective is to destroy the enemy 's main building, etc etc etc. The specifics are different, but the core play is nearly identical, as I recall it.

Defender on
  • Randall_FlaggRandall_Flagg Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    something far more similar to Dota than AoS is Tides of Blood, actually

I remember playing that game, and it really was extremely similar to DotA, but actually fun

Randall_Flagg on
  • ZeroFillZeroFill Feeling much better. A nice, green leaf.Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    defender is autistic for wc3

ZeroFill on
  • Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008
    What part of the grind did they make easier in WoW
    I'm going to reactivate for a month just for shits and giggles. Not like I have anything else to do till the 360 comes back in a few weeks

Me Too! on
    edited November 2008
    defender is autistic for wc3

I really do think it's one of the best games I've seen since it came out.

Defender on
  • DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2008
    Me Too! wrote: »
    What part of the grind did they make easier in WoW
    I'm going to reactivate for a month just for shits and giggles. Not like I have anything else to do till the 360 comes back in a few weeks
    if I remember correctly, starting at level 20 you need less xp to level (up until level 60 and then 61-70 are unchanged) and quests in the level ranges from 30-60 give more xp
    it results in being able to level quite a bit faster than before
    also I may have that backwards
    it may be quests from 20-60 that give more xp and that you need less xp to level from 30-60

also there may have been other changes since I stopped playing a few months back

they also introduced a promotion (don't know if it's still available but I think it is) where an existing account can buddy up with a new account and when they play together they both gain xp faster, and the new player can basically give levels to the existing player's character within certain guidelines

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008
    I figure I'll hop on my shaman anyway
    Give me something to do, shoot for 40 and maybe see if I can actually get myself a mount
    And who knows! Maybe I'll actually stick with it this time (I won't)

Me Too! on
  • Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    They nerfed 60 to 70 as well in the most recent patch. Something like 53% less xp needed total.

Cilla Black on
This discussion has been closed.