As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[CoH/V] i10 - This Is Our, Independence Day

• Options
    AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Corvus wrote:
    Yet more new Inventions information

With all this stuff leaking out, I have to start thinking I9 might be closer than I would have thought to dropping onto test.

Wow, that actually sounds awesome. Especially this part...
    They don’t expire as you level! And wait, there’s more! Their effectiveness is constant and based on the level you are when you make it.
    So they don't go red but you are given an incentive to create new ones as you level up. :^:

Also I like the fact that you don't actually have to level up your crafting skill, from the sounds of it, to create things. I always hated that in other games. Instead you just have to have the right parts, the recipe, and seemingly be the proper security level.

Accualt on
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Accualt wrote:
    Uriel wrote:
    Gear Girl wrote:
    Uriel wrote:
    How many people still play this? And how many actually have villain characters?

I'm thinking of reactivating my account tomorrow.

In the channel tonight there was probably about 15-20 people. That said, this is the double xp weekend. In between issues there have been nights where only 1-5 people are on. The Wednesday night team night thing is helping a lot though.
    And how many actually play on the villain side sometimes? Because I really prefer playing a Villain.

It is pretty easy to hop on and get a group of PAers to play either side. Most of us would rather be in a PAgroup than a PUG so switching teams is easy.
    What level is the villain you want to play?
    14-15 (AR/Dark corrupter), so still pretty low.

I believe I was part of the all corrupter team for a little while, but then started falling behind, and the others seemed to sign in as their villains less and less.

I'd play a Hero too but I have trouble coming up with a really good one and it seems slower on the heroside, I've never gotten a hero to level 14.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    I've got a lvl 14 Dominator I love. I'd run him with you when I can.

Accualt on
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Sounds cool, I may just start my account back up soon, I dunno if I'll be able to get on tonight though, got that The Outfit demo gameon from Arcadians to play in tonight.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Uriel wrote:
    Sounds cool, I may just start my account back up soon, I dunno if I'll be able to get on tonight though, got that The Outfit demo gameon from Arcadians to play in tonight.

Double EXP and Battlestar are the reasons I'm missing out on that. Also I have the full version so playing the demo feels...odd.

Accualt on
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    What have they done to storm defenders since I left anyway?

This was like 1+ years ago and my storm/elec is hovering @ 46 or 47.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    LepLep Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Hurricane got toned down a while back and the graphics for snow storm has changed a couple of times, other than that nothing I can think of.

Lep on
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Lep wrote:
    Hurricane got toned down a while back and the graphics for snow storm has changed a couple of times, other than that nothing I can think of.

Hurricane got Nerfed?

Bwa?

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    I think it was just a PvP nerf, if I recall. I was playing my Storm Defender earlier today and Hurricane, in PvE, was rocking those mobs shit.

Accualt on
  • Options
    PbPb Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I think Hurricane pulses less than it used to, but it also soaks up less End.

Pb on
  • Options
    KazhiimKazhiim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2007
    Hurricane got nerfed?

Man, I should totally come back. There was some homp who'd always be in the mid-level pvp zone (maybe low-level, it was the one with the meteors) that I always hated. Impossible to kill as a stalker.

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Pb wrote:
    I think Hurricane pulses less than it used to, but it also soaks up less End.

Yeah. It repels less, but costs less end. You don't even really need endurance reduction in it anymore. The To Hit Debuff wasn't changed.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    so can I use a beta key in a pre-existing account and if so how do I add it?

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    I made a mutie blaster on Virtue earlier today. Got him up to level 5 so far but I've been having some graphics issues so I think I'll check for newer graphics drivers and see if that does the trick.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Er, well, I have no idea how you found an unused beta key three years later, but no, beta accounts are entirely seperate from retail accounts.

Scooter on
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Well, you might be able to "upgrade" your account to access whatever bonuses were attached to the Beta code.
    That's might, as in "I'm not sure."

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    There are no bonuses attached to beta codes. Like I said, they're entirely seperate.

Scooter on
  • Options
    CyberJackalCyberJackal Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Looks like Lighthouse has just revealed there will be an event in February (most likely having to do with Valentine's Day).

Link

I almost feel spoiled by all the fun stuff they're doing lately.

CyberJackal on
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    So, I made a gravity controller last night and got it to level 7 on Virtue. Having so much fun throwing stuff around. Also, Distortion Field and Crush work so well together, that I love it. At level 5 I was killing level 10 mobs that were on their own by distortion and crush over and over, never letting it move. It feels like so much fun.

I showed the character creator to the wife finally, and she may have fallen in love. Might have her try it and see if she likes it. In the event that she does, there may be 2 more players looking for a home.

I forgot how much fun this game really is for an MMO. Last time I played it was about a year after release. Only had my account open for about 3 months though. I have a bad habit of playing to level 20 or so and then creating another character.

Veevee on
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    So I made Comrade Commando this morning and got him to about 4-5. He's a gun/gadgets blaster on Virtue.

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    HarshLanguageHarshLanguage Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Scooter wrote:
    Er, well, I have no idea how you found an unused beta key three years later, but no, beta accounts are entirely seperate from retail accounts.

The new FileFront trial keys are all called "beta keys" on the page they are obtained from. Hence the confusion. Someone at FileFront just didn't change the wording.

HarshLanguage on
    QSwearing_trans_smooth_small.gif
    > turn on light

Good start to the day. Pity it's going to be the worst one of your life. The light is now on.
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    So I can finally get a togo and wreath on all my new characters as well.

I think it's time to make a BS/Invul Seraphim scrapper.

But that wont be possible until I get a time card....

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Valentine's Event including picture of costume piece...sort of.

Accualt on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Just got a new veteran award when I logged in for a bit.
    Choice between the Nemesis staff or the Blackwand. I took the blackwand for the bonus damage it gives to magic origins.

It's quite nice, I can nearly one-shot a white mob with it. That's not saying much for a scrapper or a blaster, but on my controller it's an impressive piece of firepower.

see317 on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Big article about Cryptic was posted on the boards.

Linky

Corvus on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Computer game companies have gained a reputation for working their employees long hours and offering little time off. But the employees at Cryptic Studios say a 40-hour work week is the norm at their company, and there is no mandatory overtime.
    The employees of Cryptic Studios are about to play a lunchtime game of Warhammer 40K. "Everyone from the CEO down to the rank and file get together to play," Gary Catalano an information technology manager, says.

A typical lunchtime game of Warhammer 40K can last up to an hour and a half, he explains.

Man, it sounds like a lot of fun working at Cryptic. Where is Issue 9?

More interesting stuff.
    Rogers explains that the average game development cycle is about three years. He says the company's goal is to have three games at a time going through different stages of the cycle. "The goal is to produce a new game every year."

What can gamers expect next year when Marvel Universe Online is released?

"City of Heroes was very tightly focused on moment to moment combat," Rogers says. "The Marvel game will have more big components to it. It's going to be all the stuff we wanted to put into City of Heroes, and you'll get to run around in Marvel costumes. We've got more money now and more people. We'll add more depth. We want to take it to the next level."

New game every year? I'd like to see a M:UA, only more 3D Brawler, style game based on the Freedom Phalanx.

Accualt on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Man, dude running around as Iron Man? Now I wanna run around as Iron Man!

Scooter on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    The whole "we're putting all the cool stuff we wanted to do with CoH into MUO" kind of put me off.

Corvus on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    I assume they are talking about the open power selection instead of ATs and choosing what body parts to attack. The kind of stuff that they couldn't get working for CoH and had to change but can't add in now.
    Remember the old, old videos from the original CoH build where you could target the enemies arm to hinder their accuracy or target the head for a chance to cause stun or the legs to slow them, etc.
    This interview makes it sound like we will get the chance to play as Marvel characters in that new MMO. Interesting.

Accualt on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Five Wolverines on every team! Just like the real comics! :D

Corvus on
  • Options
    WallhitterWallhitter Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Yeah, I know. Really not interested. RP's gonna suck, and doesn't sound like there's gonna be nearly as much opportunity for crazy character concepts as there are in CoH.

Also, totally unrelated subject!

Bots/Dark Masterminds...uh, I don't know. They're just so damn powerful.

Wallhitter on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    What the fucking fuck? I just went to NCsoft's site to purchase an online serial code to activate a normal account from my trial account. Only problem is, the motherfuckers don't take Mastercard. Jesus Mickey Christ, what's wrong with this company? The take Amex and Discover and even JCB whatever that is, but no MC? Fuck that noise...

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    JacobyJacoby OHHHHH IT’S A SNAKE Creature - SnakeRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I know they've taken my Mastercard, but that was for normal billing... Wierd...

Jacoby on
    GameCenter: ROldford
    Switch: nin.codes/roldford
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    There was something about this on the official boards awhile ago...i don't recall if they ever figured out a work around. I recall it was NCSoft's fault and Cryptic was trying to get them to change it but they weren't having any luck.

Druhim it is probably cheaper to buy a boxed copy. If you have an EB or GS around you they sell both CoV and CoH for $20 each. If you buy both you'll get two free months of play.

Accualt on
  • Options
    JacobyJacoby OHHHHH IT’S A SNAKE Creature - SnakeRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Accualt wrote:
    There was something about this on the official boards awhile ago...i don't recall if they ever figured out a work around. I recall it was NCSoft's fault and Cryptic was trying to get them to change it but they weren't having any luck.

Druhim it is probably cheaper to buy a boxed copy. If you have an EB or GS around you they sell both CoV and CoH for $20 each. If you buy both you'll get two free months of play.

Even better, see if you can find a Good vs. Evil box. I got one at WalMart for ~$30. The bonuses (Jump Pack i.e. a travel power you can use from the start, Pocket D teleport which can be fun on its own and also helps move you between distant zones, bonus costume pieces, 12 slots per server) are well worth it, and it also comes with 1 month free.

Jacoby on
    GameCenter: ROldford
    Switch: nin.codes/roldford
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Accualt wrote:

I ended up buyin CoH through Amazon for $20. I'm holding off on CoV because I'll probably be replacing my comp very soon and if I do, WoW is what I will very likely defect to.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    HullabalooHullabaloo Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I was watching some super-hero show where they were being attacked by a guy with a guitar. The guitar of course doubling as a ranged weapon, and a melee one. Goddamnit that got me all riled up again about how cool it would be to have a guitar using powerset (or two!) in this game.

In other news, i've been thinking about coh/v alot which is leading me to belive my earlier resolve for a three month break is waining (One month and counting). It'd be nice if a lapse coincided with issue 9 - say when does that come out?

Hullabaloo on
    Xbox ID: Oggie Rock
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Wee. Finally downloaded it and installed, its patching now. Tried reading up on some guides but I just can't absorb that level of information without a context so I reckon I'll just start up a a scrapper and learn from there. I hope the katana animations are good or I'll probably switch characters, I can't stand bad melee animations.
    I have heaps of hero/villian ideas though so its not like I'm going to be stuck.
    2 minutes left. Who do I contact on virtue server when I make my character to get into the pa guild?

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Just join the global channel and ask there.

Scooter on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Thanks to the retard rodeo at Ameritech or whoever bought them, I cannot play CoH for more than ten minutes at a time. This is dumb and I wish they'd get their act together.

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
This discussion has been closed.