As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Movie Release Awareness - November '08 (RIP Gim)

• mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    Also, Bolt is in 3D where available.

Seeing it just for that is getting your money's worth.

Yeah, I'm a sucker for 3D and Bolt at least looks halfway amusing to boot. I'll see it in theaters if it's in 3D, otherwise I'll undoubtedly wind up watching it on video (the wife loves Disney movies, for whatever reason).

Otherwise...yeah, Quantom of Solace is the only thing on that list I feel compelled to see. Though I'll probably check out Role Models as well.

mcdermott on
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Is Let the Right One In subbed, dubbed, or filmed in English?

Thanatos on
  • TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Thanatos wrote: »

If it were getting a wide release, it might have been dubbed, but it is most-likely subtitled.

There is an english language remake in the works.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • setrajonassetrajonas Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Has anyone seen Synecdoche, New York? I'm probably going to see it sometime this week, me being a huge Kaufman fan.

setrajonas on
  • UnderdogUnderdog Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

The clips they were showing on TV and the trailer at Apple were subbed, which is what I'd prefer anyway.

To TehSpectre: The director, Alfredson, is pretty pissed in about the English remake. I'm not sure why they'd do it either. Not that hard to read subtitles. I mean, no one felt the need to remake Crouching Tiger to accomodate the English audiences :x

Underdog on
  • yakulyakul Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Underdog wrote: »

The clips they were showing on TV and the trailer at Apple were subbed, which is what I'd prefer anyway.

To TehSpectre: The director, Alfredson, is pretty pissed in about the English remake. I'm not sure why they'd do it either. Not that hard to read subtitles. I mean, no one felt the need to remake Crouching Tiger to accomodate the English audiences :x

Well that's just because they would have reused Chow Yun Fat anyways.

yakul on
  • GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    cj iwakura wrote: »

Transporter 1 was excellent. 2 and 3 were meh. The main appeal is still that the director of The Professional is involved with the series.
    (I think he still has writing credits on 3.)

Luc Besson's name is on every other shoddy action flick released these days.

Along the lines of:

Produced by Luc Besson, the director behind Leon and yadda yadda!

Directed by some dude you've never heard of!

Isn't Crank the more intersting guilty pleasure action series featuring Jason Stratham these days anyway?

Grislo on
    This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • geckahngeckahn Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Variable wrote: »
    Quantom Of Solace and maybe Role Models, but only because it's written by David Wain. Means it might have a few brilliants scenes. doubt I'll pay to see it in theatres, though.

Role Models is absolutely amazing. I cant stress enough how hilarious this movie is. The marketing for it was definitely not well done.

geckahn on
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Grislo wrote: »

Transporter 1 was excellent. 2 and 3 were meh. The main appeal is still that the director of The Professional is involved with the series.

Along the lines of:

Isn't Crank the more intersting guilty pleasure action series featuring Jason Stratham these days anyway?

It's sad Besson only did like 2 good movies, everything else his name is attached to is awful.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited November 2008

Along the lines of:

The dude did The Fifth Element, The Professional, and La Femme Nikita, in addition to The Transporter. He's an incredibly prolific French director, and has done a lot of great shit. If you've never heard of him, you're not paying attention.

Thanatos on
    edited November 2008

Along the lines of:

The dude did The Fifth Element, The Professional, and La Femme Nikita, in addition to The Transporter. He's an incredibly prolific French director, and has done a lot of great shit. If you've never heard of him, you're not paying attention.

Crap I said 2, I should have said 3 movies he did well. Though I've never been a huge fan of Femme.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • lazegamerlazegamer The magnanimous cyberspaceRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008

Along the lines of:

I think the idea is that he has been producing a lot of crap movies (Transporter) with nobody directors. The last movie on IMDB that he directed and I recognize is The Fifth Element, in 1997.

Also, I must not qualify as human as I'm not even interested in renting Quantum, let alone watching it in theaters. I've always seen Bond as a whimsical spy flick, the serious vibe the new films have taken while still holding onto Bond'isms like souped up cars and vixens feels like it's reaching to me.

Edit: Scratch that, I do remember the Joan of Arc (1999) revisit now that I look closer.

lazegamer on
    I would download a car.
  • PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I will undoubtedly be flamed for this, But I will be seeing Twilight

And I have read all the boooks

I will be seeing Twilight.

My girlfriend has read all the books D:

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
    edited November 2008
    lazegamer wrote: »

Along the lines of:

I think the idea is that he has been producing a lot of crap movies (Transporter) with nobody directors. The last movie on IMDB that he directed and I recognize is The Fifth Element, in 1997.

Also, I must not qualify as human as I'm not even interested in renting Quantum, let alone watching it in theaters. I've always seen Bond as a whimsical spy flick, the serious vibe the new films have taken while still holding onto Bond'isms like souped up cars and vixens feels like it's reaching to me.

Edit: Scratch that, I do remember the Joan of Arc (1999) revisit now that I look closer.
    The guy is a French director. The fact that you've heard of anything he's done speaks volumes.

Thanatos on
    edited November 2008
    PantsB wrote: »

Just make a deal with your girl. You'll take her to twilight if she offers a blow job for every overly emo part in the movie. You'd walk out with like 50 bjs.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I'll be seeing Quantum of Solace and Transporter 3. Transporter 2 was wonderfully ridiculous.

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

Along the lines of:

Crank was the best cheesy action flick ever. It's the only time I've been able to sit through a sex scene with my parents without wincing because we were all laughing so hard. Blow-job Car-chase Shootout.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • gundam470gundam470 Drunk Gorilla CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I liked the Transporter but I absolutely hated Crank.

gundam470 on
    gorillaSig.jpg
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Crank seemed stupid to me as well, and I enjoyed Shoot 'Em Up, so it's nothing against senseless action flicks.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • TrueHereticXTrueHereticX We are the future Charles, not them. They no longer matter. Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Preacher wrote: »
    PantsB wrote: »

Just make a deal with your girl. You'll take her to twilight if she offers a blow job for every overly emo part in the movie. You'd walk out with like 50 bjs.

Nah that's a bad deal

Ask her for a blow job every time Bella and Edward make yes at each other

Your dick will be given a hefty 100+ workout

TrueHereticX on
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    There's supose to be a new Watchmen trailer attached to Quantum of Solice. Another reason to watch it.

Kyougu on
  • GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

Along the lines of:

I think you misunderstood, or I wasn't clear enough.

I know who he is, he wasn't the reference in the small font line.

His name is used, very prominently and in a producer capacity, to sell a lot of shitty movies by using very large fonts. The sub par director who actually directed the shitty movie is given a very small font credit somewhere (on the very likely direct to dvd title, with a few exceptions).

Yes, he has directed some very good movies, but he has put his name on so much garbage. It's a bit odd though, since anyone who is slightly film savvy - people who might know him - are unlikely to fall for something like that.

EDIT: In all fairness, he has done producer (a very vague title at best) work on some pretty good movies too, and at times it's pretty much an automatic thing due to his production company being involved. And hell, I like money too, so..

Grislo on
    This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    So yeah, the Disney character from the most recent blockbuster complaining about the quality of pirate DVDs appears to have a died a death somewhat here in the UK to be replaced by some sort of seasonal megatrailer advertising all the big films for SUMMER 2008 and now WINTER 2008 and how 'its the experience that counts'. Good on them I say because exchanging " for ' is why we go to the cinema in the first place.

Anyways, one of the snippets of trailers they feature appears to be a heavily stylised (as in near siloutte in some parts, dark green on red) WW2 cartoon. Looks fantastic from the two 10 second sections I've seen. Anyone have any idea what it is?

Had a look for the big WINTER 2008 trailer and a cartoon WW2 but can't find anything.

Tastyfish on
  • ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008

Along the lines of:

160px-NathanLane2.JPG by Luc Besson, the sample_TheProducers_debris1.jpg behind Leon and yadda yadda!

I think you misunderstood, or I wasn't clear enough.

I know who he is, he wasn't the reference in the small font line.

His name is used, very prominently and in a producer capacity, to sell a lot of shitty movies by using very large fonts. The sub par director who actually directed the shitty movie is given a very small font credit somewhere (on the very likely direct to dvd title, with a few exceptions).

Yes, he has directed some very good movies, but he has put his name on so much garbage. It's a bit odd though, since anyone who is slightly film savvy - people who might know him - are unlikely to fall for something like that.

EDIT: In all fairness, he has done producer (a very vague title at best) work on some pretty good movies too, and at times it's pretty much an automatic thing due to his production company being involved. And hell, I like money too, so..

I think the issue is more the one highlighted in my little alteration.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • WerdnaWerdna Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I saw Let the Right One In and left grinning ear to ear. It really takes you to a place where wouldn't expect to feel so elated and yet mortified.

Werdna on
  • METAzraeLMETAzraeL Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Werdna wrote: »
    I saw Let the Right One In and left grinning ear to ear. It really takes you to a place where wouldn't expect to feel so elated and yet mortified.

I was just coming in here to mention it. Such a wonderfully sweet movie, possibly my favourite of the year.
    Thw swimming pool scene was fucking hilarious

METAzraeL on

dream a little dream or you could live a little dream
    sleep forever if you wish to be a dreamer
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    Yeah, you don't watch Transporter flicks for the plot.

You watch them for the oil-based fights.

KalTorak on
  • RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Huh, I didn't realize Wasabi wasn't actually directed by Besson. But really, if you see a box that says LUC BESSON and JEAN RENO you should already be sold. It's fucking awesome. More awesome than the tagline would have you believe:

Quite Possibly The Greatest French-Language, English-Subtitled, Japanese Action-Comedy Of All Time

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    METAzraeL wrote: »

I was just coming in here to mention it. Such a wonderfully sweet movie, possibly my favourite of the year.

You bastards, I was coming in to post about that movie.

Really good, I'm betting miles better than whatever Twilight ends up being. The part I found hilarious was
    The part where the cats jump on the lady. I'm guessing it wasn't intended to be funny, but man did it make the whole theater laugh

Also, since a question about the ending...
    Did you guys get a vibe that it was sort of a circular ending? In which Eli's original caretaker was getting too old, so she goes out to find a new one? Like, in fifty years or so Oskar is going to be in the same position, and she'll find someone else.

noir_blood on
    edited November 2008
    noir_blood wrote: »

Really good, I'm betting miles better than whatever Twilight ends up being. The part I found hilarious was
    The part where the cats jump on the lady. I'm guessing it wasn't intended to be funny, but man did it make the whole theater laugh

Did you guys get a vibe that it was sort of a circular ending? In which Eli's original caretaker was getting too old, so she goes out to find a new one? Like, in fifty years or so Oskar is going to be in the same position, and she'll find someone else.
    As far as your first spoiler, yeah, that part was hella funny. Your second spoiler is what I thought, too.

oh hey, just found this on wiki:
    There is additional backstory present in the novel for many of the characters that is missing in the film for length reasons. In particular, it is revealed that Eli used to be a boy but had been castrated almost 100 years previously.

I guess my idea that
    vampires have shrivelled vag's
    wasn't right :P

METAzraeL on

• ConvaelConvael Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    setrajonas wrote: »
    Has anyone seen Synecdoche, New York? I'm probably going to see it sometime this week, me being a huge Kaufman fan.
    I saw it. I thought it was very good. Definitely, absolutely needs at least one or eighty more viewings. If it isn't nominated for at least a writing Oscar I will be very disappointed. I think there are a couple other potential nominations in there too...

Convael on
  • noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    oh hey, just found this on wiki:
    There is additional backstory present in the novel for many of the characters that is missing in the film for length reasons. In particular, it is revealed that Eli used to be a boy but had been castrated almost 100 years previously.

I guess my idea that
    vampires have shrivelled vag's
    wasn't right :P
    It kinda makes sense, considering the shot in the movie. It was quick, but it sorta looked like it was surgically tied or something.

I'm kinda wanting to read the book now, but for some reason I always been weary about translated books. Part of me thinks that they could never capture the original language.

And someone should start making an Oscar thread. I would do it if I wasn't so damn lazy.

noir_blood on
    edited November 2008

I'm kinda wanting to read the book now, but for some reason I always been weary about translated books. Part of me thinks that they could never capture the original language.

And someone should start making an Oscar thread. I would do it if I wasn't so damn lazy.
    yeah, I'm gonna try and get my hands on the book. I guess the Cloverfield director is remaking this, but is sticking to the book more closely. I'm not sure how I feel about that.

METAzraeL on

• RubickRubick Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Thoughts on Twilight (mild spoilers for book 2, for which a sequel film has been greenlit):
    For some reason, I saw this at a 7:00 showing last night (Saturday). The teenage girls didn't ruin it too terribly, but I was ready to crack some skulls at some points. Anytime a vampire character was shown for the first time, there were giggles and oohs and aahs. And cries of "Where's the Volvo???" when they show up in a Jeep for the first time at school. And then there were people yelling at the teenagers to shut up ... good times.

Anyway, I did enjoy the movie. I'm a sucker for romance of that type. I enjoyed Twilight the most of the series, although I was somewhat bummed at the lack of history of some side characters (Alice, since she's the only one they really gave backstory to in this book). I am looking forward to that part of it as the movies go on.

Kristen's (actress who played the main character of Bella) acting was getting to me - the frequent blinks, the shapes she made with her mouth and face - it was distracting. I realize they overdid Rob's (Edwards) make-up to make him stand out even more from his family, but it was much more goofy than sexy. The two have great chemistry together, and I could feel the tension between them. I do like that they showed the evil vamps more earlier in the film than in the book, and I enjoyed the baseball scene (although I do think the bases should have been much more spread out, as they were in the book). The Cullen house was not as I pictured it - I was thinking of something darker, not as airy (the grad cap mural was a great touch). But I could have spaced out during the house description in the book.

I loved the end where the Cullens were ripping apart James - when Alice snapped his neck, completely awesome. And also the part where she held Bella's blood up to her face, and then shakily called for Carlisle - amazing. I was surprised when I heard Peter Facinelli was playing Carlisle, but he did a good job. My boyfriend went with me, and he knew nothing about the series. When he left, he said he "liked the guy that's in pain all the time." I always liked the character of Jasper, and I admit that the actors portrayal of it made me like him more.

I'm intrigued by how they will do New Moon, since Edward is absent for 75% of the book. I don't see them keeping one of the main guys out of it for that long, so I'm guessing the Bella/Jacob friendship will not be as built up.

Overall I really enjoyed it, but I enjoyed the book in general. Decent romance/entertaining flick. I'll probably see it again, and it's been a while since there's been a movie I'd go see in the theater again.

Rubick on
    edited November 2008

I loved this movie! Can't wait for the dvd...
    I dunno about the circularness of it. Circularity if you will. Because if the old caretaker was a former "lover", then I certainly never got any vibes of love or even faded affection. There really was no... friendliness between Eli and the old dude, except for when she pats his cheek once before he goes out. And the way she kills him? Totally heartless. It feels more like he's been helpful but she really feels nothing for him.

Her absolutely crappy social skills and very 12 yr old way of approaching the romance with Oskar has me believing that she's been "alone" pretty much from her inception and this is the first time she's fallen for anyone. Goes along with the whole "Yeah, being a vampire? Not fun at all. It's messy, depressing and very, very lonely." theme that I got from the movie. I mean, if her life has been about an endless train of young boys who serve her until they are too feeble, then she's not very good at roping in the young boys. Haha I mean, the first thing she says to Oskar when she sees him is that she can't be friends with him.

The final scene on the train is so sweet. The morse code they tap out to each other is 'puss' which is apparently Swedish for 'kiss'. Awwwwwwww <3<3<3<3<3<3<3

Actually, there are so many scenes that make you go "Awwwww!" and they're almost always immediately after Eli has just killed or eaten someone. The mix of horror and romance was really... fun!

Underdog on
    edited November 2008
    I dunno about the circularness of it. Circularity if you will. Because if the old caretaker was a former "lover", then I certainly never got any vibes of love or even faded affection. There really was no... friendliness between Eli and the old dude, except for when she pats his cheek once before he goes out. And the way she kills him? Totally heartless. It feels more like he's been helpful but she really feels nothing for him.

Her absolutely crappy social skills and very 12 yr old way of approaching the romance with Oskar has me believing that she's been "alone" pretty much from her inception and this is the first time she's fallen for anyone. Goes along with the whole "Yeah, being a vampire? Not fun at all. It's messy, depressing and very, very lonely." theme that I got from the movie. I mean, if her life has been about an endless train of young boys who serve her until they are too feeble, then she's not very good at roping in the young boys. Haha I mean, the first thing she says to Oskar when she sees him is that she can't be friends with him.

The final scene on the train is so sweet. The morse code they tap out to each other is 'puss' which is apparently Swedish for 'kiss'. Awwwwwwww <3<3<3<3<3<3<3

Actually, there are so many scenes that make you go "Awwwww!" and they're almost always immediately after Eli has just killed or eaten someone. The mix of horror and romance was really... fun!
    I like your approach to it, but
    what if she's just playing with him? It could be that she doesn't care about humans at all, especially not after 200 years, and is just stringing Oskar along. But yeah, I prefer your thoughts on it.

And yes, this movie is amazingly sweet. Actually, that's probably the first word I would use to describe it.

METAzraeL on

edited November 2008

I like your approach to it, but
    what if she's just playing with him? It could be that she doesn't care about humans at all, especially not after 200 years, and is just stringing Oskar along. But yeah, I prefer your thoughts on it.

And yes, this movie is amazingly sweet. Actually, that's probably the first word I would use to describe it.

lol yeah my version of it is very... idyllic. It's assuming the two of them are both nice people, which is definitely not always a given.
    Although I would counter your suggestion by saying that if that was true, she would've taken Oskar with her when she left. Y'know, if she was really looking for a new helper. I mean, she'd already hooked him so if her ultimate goal was to get him on board the people juicing train, she would've asked him to go with her instead of having to come back to rescue his pale butt.

Edit: Not to mention she seemed to care enough about him to put herself through the pain of coming into his house uninvited. When Oskar finds out what she is, he treats her pretty badly (although some fear is justifiable considering what Eli is) and she definitely didn't have to put up with his crap if she didn't give a damn about him. Easily just to hook another boy with her androgynous ways.

I could gush about this movie for days if I had a willing audience :) Just a warning to those who are thinking of going to see it, it's pretty slow moving so be prepared to be patient.

Underdog on
    edited November 2008
    I can dig that. It also fits in better with the feel of the movie.

I haven't seen many movies this year that I liked a lot, but this is easily vying with Dark Knight as my number 1 pick.

METAzraeL on

• KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Rubick wrote: »
    Thoughts on Twilight (mild spoilers for book 2, for which a sequel film has been greenlit):
    For some reason, I saw this at a 7:00 showing last night (Saturday). The teenage girls didn't ruin it too terribly, but I was ready to crack some skulls at some points. Anytime a vampire character was shown for the first time, there were giggles and oohs and aahs. And cries of "Where's the Volvo???" when they show up in a Jeep for the first time at school. And then there were people yelling at the teenagers to shut up ... good times.

Anyway, I did enjoy the movie. I'm a sucker for romance of that type. I enjoyed Twilight the most of the series, although I was somewhat bummed at the lack of history of some side characters (Alice, since she's the only one they really gave backstory to in this book). I am looking forward to that part of it as the movies go on.

Kristen's (actress who played the main character of Bella) acting was getting to me - the frequent blinks, the shapes she made with her mouth and face - it was distracting. I realize they overdid Rob's (Edwards) make-up to make him stand out even more from his family, but it was much more goofy than sexy. The two have great chemistry together, and I could feel the tension between them. I do like that they showed the evil vamps more earlier in the film than in the book, and I enjoyed the baseball scene (although I do think the bases should have been much more spread out, as they were in the book). The Cullen house was not as I pictured it - I was thinking of something darker, not as airy (the grad cap mural was a great touch). But I could have spaced out during the house description in the book.

I loved the end where the Cullens were ripping apart James - when Alice snapped his neck, completely awesome. And also the part where she held Bella's blood up to her face, and then shakily called for Carlisle - amazing. I was surprised when I heard Peter Facinelli was playing Carlisle, but he did a good job. My boyfriend went with me, and he knew nothing about the series. When he left, he said he "liked the guy that's in pain all the time." I always liked the character of Jasper, and I admit that the actors portrayal of it made me like him more.

I'm intrigued by how they will do New Moon, since Edward is absent for 75% of the book. I don't see them keeping one of the main guys out of it for that long, so I'm guessing the Bella/Jacob friendship will not be as built up.

Overall I really enjoyed it, but I enjoyed the book in general. Decent romance/entertaining flick. I'll probably see it again, and it's been a while since there's been a movie I'd go see in the theater again.

My major problem with Twilight, both having read the books and as a general complaint was the complete lack of character development. It's nothing but plot and long tedious gazing into eyes. Almost all of the characterization is lacking, and if I hadn't read the book, I'd have no idea why the characters were acting the way they were.

One major improvement over the book, though:
    You actually get to see the damn fight at the end. Granted, it wasn't all that impressive, but I got really tired of Bella fainting during every fight so Meyer didn't have to actually describe it.

Kilroy on
  • Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    So i was kinda of forced to see Twilight today and....I dunno..I guess it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Alot of it bored the crap out of me...

but there were some amusing atleast scenes
    The whole interaction between them cooking for her despite hardly ever doing so

pretty much any scene with Jasper in it, for a guy with hardly any lines, just watching him is fun

also...so thats what happens in sun light? they sparkle? i mean, he steps in sunlight and what happens? it just looks like he made out with some girl that uses too much of that glitter lipgloss crap

Element Brian on
    Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k