As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PA Forums show up in Google now?

mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
Is this a new thing? I didn't think these forums were indexed by google.

mcdermott on

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited November 2008
    I didn't think it use to be. In fact, I thought we actively worked to not have them indexed on Google.

Maybe I'm crazy.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    I didn't think it use to be. In fact, I thought we actively worked to not have them indexed on Google.

Maybe I'm crazy.

I was under that impression as well.

Arrath on
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2008
    Thirded.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Google cache of a D&D thread.

EDIT: I was pretty sure the intent was not to have them indexed/cached either, but I went to search for something for somebody and was pointed back to the very thread I'd just been reading. Figured I'd give a heads up in case this was something that wasn't supposed to be.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    EinhanderEinhander __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008
    I wish I had my desktop hooked up, I've got a screencap I took of a google search from the last time we were having serious server issues that not only brought up the PA forums, but it brought up "Application Error (Rails)".

Einhander on
  • Options
    EinhanderEinhander __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008
    Found it:

railsabunch4fr.jpg

Turns out it was the main site itself, and not the forums.

Einhander on
  • Options
    expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I thought there was some sort of bots.txt file that prevented bots from crawling through.

forums.penny-arcade.com/bots.txt or something. I hope I'm not making that up, because it's definitely a bad link right now.

expendable on
    Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    expendable wrote: »
    I thought there was some sort of bots.txt file that prevented bots from crawling through.

forums.penny-arcade.com/bots.txt or something. I hope I'm not making that up, because it's definitely a bad link right now.
    There is, and Ramius has it set to "no," but it doesn't seem to be stopping them.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited November 2008
    Actually he's set it to the opposite of no. The forums are now deliberately being indexed by google.

Tube on
  • Options
    RitchmeisterRitchmeister Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Hence the absurd rule that says we can't call black people by their correct name.

Ritchmeister on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    No, that has nothing to do with it, and shut the fuck up.

Tube on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I think ritch just wants a name change.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    bowen wrote: »
    I think ritch just wants a name change.

I think the most he's likely to get, though, is an avatar change.

So, looks like that answers that, though. Thanks CT. I just wanted to make sure it was intentional, since I was pretty sure it was a change.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    http://www.penny-arcade.com/robots.txt currently reads:
    # See http://www.robotstxt.org/wc/norobots.html for documentation on how to use the robots.txt file

User-agent: *
    Disallow: /forums/
    That kind of looks like it's not supposed to let bots search the forums, but won't that not work because the forums aren't under http://www.penny-arcade.com/forums/ , they're under http://forums.penny-arcade.com/ ?

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    http://www.penny-arcade.com/robots.txt currently reads:
    # See http://www.robotstxt.org/wc/norobots.html for documentation on how to use the robots.txt file

User-agent: *
    Disallow: /forums/
    That kind of looks like it's not supposed to let bots search the forums, but won't that not work because the forums aren't under http://www.penny-arcade.com/forums/ , they're under http://forums.penny-arcade.com/ ?

Probably from the old forums, which may have been under that hierarchy.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2008
    Actually he's set it to the opposite of no. The forums are now deliberately being indexed by google.
    why the change?

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Yeah...personally I'm not a big fan of our posts being indexed by Google or any other search engine.

Not enough to make a stink about it and not that if I did it would matter.

But I too am curious why this was changed.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Drez wrote: »
    Yeah...personally I'm not a big fan of our posts being indexed by Google or any other search engine.

Possibly because robots.txt still has /forums from when the forums were at /forums. There's also no robots.txt on forums.penny-arcade.com.

MKR on
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    MKR wrote: »

Possibly because robots.txt still has /forums from when the forums were at /forums. There's also no robots.txt on forums.penny-arcade.com.

That doesn't explain why they deliberately changed it. (:

I'm also curious.

Aldo on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2008
    Other sites were already indexing the forums anyway

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

"How" and "Why" are different question words. One refers to method, the other to reason. I asked Why.

Drez on
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Yeah but I think what he means is that the file just wasn't changed when the forum structure was. It's just an oversight, there's no 'why' to it.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Willeth wrote: »
    Yeah but I think what he means is that the file just wasn't changed when the forum structure was. It's just an oversight, there's no 'why' to it.

Except that CT said that this change (to being indexed) was deliberate. So it's not an oversight.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I may have interpreted that wrong, but I read it as meaning 'explicit instruction' rather than 'intentional behaviour'.

Willeth on
  • Options
    RamiusRamius Joined: July 19, 2000 Administrator, ClubPA admin
    edited November 2008
    It is my intention that the forums should show up in the major search engines.

It has been my intention for a very long time that the forums should be indexed, but there were several things I wanted in place first. After enough time passed, those things seemed less and less important and so finally a couple weeks ago, the robots.txt was removed to allow the indexing to start.

Ramius on
  • Options
    FalxFalx Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    And thus spake Zara-... I mean Ramius.

Falx on
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    So this is an elaborate plan to make every google search land on the forums. Interesting.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Ramius wrote: »

It has been my intention for a very long time that the forums should be indexed, but there were several things I wanted in place first. After enough time passed, those things seemed less and less important and so finally a couple weeks ago, the robots.txt was removed to allow the indexing to start.

Although stories that might end up on a publishers desk only pop up once every few months, it might be good to exclude The Writer's Block, even if you don't exclude the whole forum. :D

MKR on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Ramius wrote: »

Although stories that might end up on a publishers desk only pop up once every few months, it might be good to exclude The Writer's Block, even if you don't exclude the whole forum. :D

I know I won't really be posting in The Writer's Block anymore unless I am 100% sure I don't care about the fate of the particular work. Once Google caches something, well...no thanks. Not that I really post there much as it is, just to be honest.

Really, other than that, and the fact that people like to threaten to murder each other here over stuff as minor as disliking Halo or spoiling the newest Disney film, I'm not sure this is a big deal anyway.

Drez on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    You have automatic copyright once you create the work in the US. You'll be fine.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    You have automatic copyright once you create the work in the US. You'll be fine.
    Rest of the world doesn't work like that, I believe.

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Sucks to be you then.

But seriously though, the forums were already being indexed by other sites.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

But that doesn't keep publishers from rejecting your submission due to it being published already. Which is the point.

MKR on
  • Options
    LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008

But that doesn't keep publishers from rejecting your submission due to it being published already. Which is the point.

^This is the actual problem moreso than copyright.^

LaOs on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Do the guys in Writer's Block know, then? Would it be beneficial or efficient (beneficient?) to have a tag similar to
    or [code] that hides the contents from spiders?

Willeth on
  • Options
    LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Willeth wrote: »
    Do the guys in Writer's Block know, then? Would it be beneficial or efficient (beneficient?) to have a tag similar to
    or [code] that hides the contents from spiders?

I think they're generally aware that if something is up here there's a chance that there will be problems when submitting it to a publisher. When we weren't being indexed, we could just come here and snip the content out and be pretty much fine, so far as I understood the process. Now, though, Google will have a cache of the content that cutting it out here won't catch.

[Edit]
    I'm just explaining the situation with respect to the WB specifically. I don't personally have any opinion on the indexing/non-indexing of the Forums, although it was neat to learn that we are on Google now.

LaOs on
  • Options
    HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    LaOs brings up a really excellent point. Most creative writing fora have boards that are invisible to search engines for exactly that reason.

Hachface on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Looks like it's possible to let Google index a site without allowing it to show a public cache:

http://www.google.com/support/webmasters/bin/answer.py?answer=35306

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    If you think it's going to get published, don't post it. You're probably wrong but if that's your thing I think the WB will just have to live without your contribution.

Tube on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    If you think it's going to get published, don't post it. You're probably wrong but if that's your thing I think the WB will just have to live without your contribution.
    If I read the other posts correctly the point was that people had posted their story in the Writer's Block and would have deleted it if they found a publisher. Now that their stories are cached by Google deleting it won't matter, because Google never throws anything away. If this change on PA would have been communicated to the users before it happened our aspiring writers would have had the chance to quickly delete their posts as to make sure they would not be getting cached by Google.

Aldo on